MINING JOBS WA - the truth

Guest karldyble

We came here with the intentions of moving to newman and when we arrived in Perth we were told then not to come up to Jan as everything was closed down, well we did and were so excited, we had accommodation organised and job organised etc. Anyway 13 hours of a drive to Newman and we got there at night, got out of the jeep and feet started itching like mad, feet were black covered in ants, got into our accommodation and it was completely ant infested, it was disgusting, I was nearly sick.

This is Newman caravan park and this was supposed to be cleaned out. Anyway next day spent about 150 dollars on every type of bleach etc. that there was and control bombed the place for ants etc and honestly it was literally making me puke, there was ants everywhere, it was disgusting.

Hubby started work to find out what he was promised and what you get are 2 very different things and we found out there attitude is you are here, you are now stuck so lump it! I got offered 3 permanent government admin jobs in one day - all with no interview!!!!

I couldnt stomach the dirt and the only thing we would have been saving is the price of the rent from being down here in perth and 350 a week just isnt worth that. Wages were no different to perth, hubby is a carpenter and we got into the car and drove back and honestly never regretted it.

ONly thing I can say is for anyone thinking of moving up there to work, honestly go up for a few days and see what you think for yourself before you commit, I personally think unless you are with a large mining company it just aint worth it

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
W

ONly thing I can say is for anyone thinking of moving up there to work, honestly go up for a few days and see what you think for yourself before you commit, I personally think unless you are with a large mining company it just aint worth it

Such a sad experience you had there Maisie ... Fortunately now I think now the standards have been raised in many instances. We have many friends who work for smaller companies and on the whole they are well looked after, particularly when it comes down to accomodation. I wouldnt like to tar every company with the same brush... there are so many walks of life who come over company sponsored, health, education, tradies and to date I havent met anyone who has been dissatisfied with the living conditions (this being the most costly factor which usually comes highly subsidised! ). The camps are amazing for FIFO, in fact we often eat there for almost no money at all and the food is delicious. I think if you manage to strike a good deal and prepared to work hard, this can set you up for the future, and of course you are able to see rural Australia in all its glory warts and all !. Susie:wubclub:

Yeah totally agree, unfortunately our experience wasnt what we expected at all. We actually got one of the better accommodation too in xxx Caravan Site, if anyone wants photos pm and I can show you what we ended up in ha ha!! Seeing is believing.

Def think anyone check things well out for yourselves before you make the move, some really good companies but unfortunatley for us what we were promised and what we got totally diff and friends who were there got same treatment except they were just over and through lack of funds after set up costs had to stick it out.

Guest siamsusie
Yeah totally agree, unfortunately our experience wasnt what we expected at all. We actually got one of the better accommodation too in Newman Caravan Site, if anyone wants photos pm and I can show you what we ended up in ha ha!! Seeing is believing.

Def think anyone check things well out for yourselves before you make the move, some really good companies but unfortunatley for us what we were promised and what we got totally diff and friends who were there got same treatment except they were just over and through lack of funds after set up costs had to stick it out.

:hug:Not a good way to commence life in Australia, just the word "Caravan Park" gives me the shudders...some are better than others.... Karratha has three I believe, and I had the misfortune to visit a friend in one one them, they pay an extortionate rate per week, whole families living neck to neck (god knows what happens in cyclonic conditions!) its a massive rip off!.... Going to the loo is an experience hence I am defo a spade and bush girl myself! but, Maisie it is not just the Australians that rip people off in this manner I know of one family that arrived over east to pommie accomodation for new comers" to dismal filthy conditions and had to leave in a hurry... imagine that with kiddies in tow after that gruelling trip!! research is so important, but the experiences can be so beneficial ask Bobj, he has been and done the lot over WA way.....

:wubclub:

You get the same sort of thing here in QLD, except you've got to have all the generics too (though not HR here; a 300 tonne automatic electric drive Komatsu 9600 doesn't bear any relation at all to a 13 tonne road ranger).

We have quite large unemployment in Mackay due to opportunists thinking they can walk into mining jobs; it doesn't happen easily unless you're a tradie with experience or a professional like a geotech (I've lost count of the number of mine jobs I've been offered as an engineer, but only after I have worked on a particular site, got to know the SSE and got my various supervisor tickets). Couldn't get peed on if I was on fire before that.

Re the defensive driving thing; it's a requirement of all BMA sites, but you have to have a BMA specific driving course; there's absolutely no difference in them except the certificate says "Good for BMA " on it. Not all driving school are signed off to say that.

If you get a job as a staff member, the site will get you through all the certificates you need; generally they'll want confined space, working at heights, dogger/rigger as well as senior first aid for tradies, depending on what you do. If you're a contractor you're expected to have all of that already and they won't let you on site without it, I won't go into the HSEC forms, audits and CMS that have to be set up either, suffice to say we had to employ a subcontractor for three weeks to create the various bits of paperwork they wanted.

As for accommodation, site staff usually get it all paid for, but contractors have to pay for it (you just stick up your rates to cover it, we always tell them "we'll charge an extra $150 a day unless you give us digs free". Transport they'll let you salary sacrifice; some of the sites here offer DIDO from MacKay on a company bus (free) or FIFO Brisbane, which you have to pay for but it's tax free

Guest Bill_er_Bong
Hi Keily,

I think you just answered you own query, he has '25 years experience in the construction industry' that'll get you a job on any engeneering project in the world be it mining, rail, bridges, roads etc.

For those with no experience the list I posted is essential.

Great thread Karldyble...

And of particular interest to me. I am moving over to WA with my family in the next month or so and have been thinking about the mining industry for a while now.

I'll deffo be looking at those courses you listed.

Cheers

BB

Guest karldyble

Hi Bill er Bong,

Shouldn't think you'll have problem with you having experience. If you fancy doing domething similiar to what you have already there's the Gorgon project kicking off up there, supposed to be about $50 Billion worth of project. With experience you'd probably get snapped up. Don't know much about the oil and gas side of things though, or what stage it's at, only second hand info. Not sure about the transferability of skills either as I have no experience in that field. Some of the old boys and girls may know people who have jumped from one to the other. For jobs have a look on www.seek.com.au. Where are you moving from from? Been to WA before? You'll love it. We do.

Guest karldyble

Hi,

WA is a little different, certainly more empty than the East, the size of India with 1.5 - 2 million population!! Key things to do when you land unless you have a relocation co sorting everything out for you;

1. Tax File Number

2. Bank Account.

3. Transfer licence to WA, do this before you start working as the licencing centre only opens restricted hours.

4. Medicare card

5. Accomodation, open viewings are alien to brits and are a bit like rugby scrums, especially for the cheaper properties. Oh and estate / real estate agents are as arrogant and as useless here as in the UK, there must be a minimum international standard of fecklessness that they have to adhere to!!

6. Sort out utilities early, most co's are on the east coast and as a result are 3 hours ahead, a bit frustrating as when you get home from work at 5 it's 8 there and they're closed.

7. Internet connection - so many different deals and needlessly complicated compared to the UK.

8. Mobile phones - ditto.

9. Buying a car - very expensive here due to high demand and remote location. Lots of traffic and expect to grow old waiting for lights change at intersections.

10.Put your bins on the very edge of the pavement / grass verge. Facing the right way, follow the neighbours lead. This will save you have to chase the bin man down the road with a wheely bin full of stinking filth and get a telling off like I did.

That about covers the the annoying stuff the rest is the easy, great people, great weather, great scenery, great services, great choices for everything, great beaches and great opportunties for work and play all combined it's......er........well.... great.

Want to know anything more specific let me know.

Moving from the UK, Scotland but from Manchester originally. Been to Aus a few times but always on the Eastern side, never to WA. Thanks for the tips. I've heard about that Gorgon project and will be exploring options once we get there. WA - I'm sure we will love it! Can't wait!

Theres a lot of rigs up north and barrrow island and varanius island ( the one that blew up ) plenty of gas jobs, if you have experience should be ok

Guest karldyble

some fella gave me these names of co's for the gorgon project, I don't know what they mean or if they are spelled correctly but they may mean something to someone if they are after companies to contact;

Ousclad, clough, Agc.

Good luck.

Guest Weemac
Hi,

WA is a little different, certainly more empty than the East, the size of India with 1.5 - 2 million population!! Key things to do when you land unless you have a relocation co sorting everything out for you;

1. Tax File Number

2. Bank Account.

3. Transfer licence to WA, do this before you start working as the licencing centre only opens restricted hours.

4. Medicare card

5. Accomodation, open viewings are alien to brits and are a bit like rugby scrums, especially for the cheaper properties. Oh and estate / real estate agents are as arrogant and as useless here as in the UK, there must be a minimum international standard of fecklessness that they have to adhere to!!

6. Sort out utilities early, most co's are on the east coast and as a result are 3 hours ahead, a bit frustrating as when you get home from work at 5 it's 8 there and they're closed.

7. Internet connection - so many different deals and needlessly complicated compared to the UK.

8. Mobile phones - ditto.

9. Buying a car - very expensive here due to high demand and remote location. Lots of traffic and expect to grow old waiting for lights change at intersections.

10.Put your bins on the very edge of the pavement / grass verge. Facing the right way, follow the neighbours lead. This will save you have to chase the bin man down the road with a wheely bin full of stinking filth and get a telling off like I did.

That about covers the the annoying stuff the rest is the easy, great people, great weather, great scenery, great services, great choices for everything, great beaches and great opportunties for work and play all combined it's......er........well.... great.

Want to know anything more specific let me know.

I reckon the only really annoying thing you have missed is Customer Service...at least up the road a bit from Perth (Gero) it is a desease...If you order something and give them as many ways to contact you as you can for when it arrives....NEVER actually expect them to call..because they can't be bothered!!...This has happened to me EVERYTIME since I arrived here 20 months ago....other than that...Great place to live. (and best of all....no traffic jams).

Guest warwick

hi karldyble, im a carpenter planning to migrate to western australia, your post was very helpful to me as i plan to try to work in the mining industry myself, ive heard that the money is good. what kind of work would a carpenter do at the mine site.could you please email me with information such as addresses to where i could take the relevant tests, and could you give me phone numbers of contacts i could ring when i get to australia.

thanks your help would be greatly appreciated

Guest karldyble

Hi, I'm not sure when it comes to carpenters sorry, maybe shuttering?? I know the mine construction company I'm starting work for have an extra allowance for carpenters, so you'd be on about $35 - $40 an hour if you were working away from home, then all the other money they seem to throw at you on top. Labourers and TA's (Transport Assistants / Trades Assistants, get the equivelant of £80'000 - £100'000 a year, (yes I do mean pounds). This is for 4 on 1 off, fly in fly out, remember this figue might be slightly distorted due to the strong dollar. Still good though.

As for numbers, don't really have any sorry, try www.bgc.cc follow the links to 'employment' might give you an idea of what you need.

Guest GotStillNerves

Hi,

what about nurses. I am a male registered nurse and I really want to work in the mining industry. What would be my chances to get a job as male nurse in the mining industry (or on an oil rig)? Of course provided that I have permanent residency in Australia.

Thanks in advance

Guest Bill_er_Bong
Hi, I'm not sure when it comes to carpenters sorry, maybe shuttering?? I know the mine construction company I'm starting work for have an extra allowance for carpenters, so you'd be on about $35 - $40 an hour if you were working away from home, then all the other money they seem to throw at you on top. Labourers and TA's (Transport Assistants / Trades Assistants, get the equivelant of £80'000 - £100'000 a year, (yes I do mean pounds). This is for 4 on 1 off, fly in fly out, remember this figue might be slightly distorted due to the strong dollar. Still good though.

As for numbers, don't really have any sorry, try www.bgc.cc follow the links to 'employment' might give you an idea of what you need.

4 weeks on 1 week off? That's a pretty brutal rotation!

Guest Bill_er_Bong
Hi,

what about nurses. I am a male registered nurse and I really want to work in the mining industry. What would be my chances to get a job as male nurse in the mining industry (or on an oil rig)? Of course provided that I have permanent residency in Australia.

Thanks in advance

As a registered nurse, you could get a medic's position on an offshore rig no sweat. Decent money too I think. Cushy position as well. They like nurses with lots of A&E experience, as when there is a lost time incident on a drilling rig involving an injury, the results can be pretty messy. Just check out the drilling companies directly rather than use an agency. You can get an idea of rig activity around Aus by looking at RIGZONE - Your Gateway to the Oil & Gas Industry, there you will be able to identify drilling contractors and then check out their websites.

Cheers

BB

Guest GotStillNerves

Hi BB,

thanks for your quick reply. I don`t think that I can provide A&E experience (it certainly means emergency experience, doesn`t it). But maybe I can do a course.

All the best for ya in the land down under.

Guest karldyble

Hi Again,

can't help you on the nursing thing, beyond my experience sorry. I'm sure you'll be needed though, I think the equation is;

Hundreds of blokes + a handfull of imbeciles / heavy machinery and explosives = need for a nurse.

Re Bill Er Bong;

couldn't handle the rigs myself, got one of those personalities which means that I always want to jump off of things like oil rigs and ferries etc. I blame the bungy jumping myself, it allows you to cross an otherwise uncrossable boundary, I think my subconcious thinks it can fly as a result. Also I looked into roughnecks and roustabouts and the pay looked piss poor. If you've got experience I'm sure you'd earn a pretty penny but combine suicidal tendencies and piss poor money, it just didn't add up.. Rather keep my feet on the ground.

A couple of questions.

How much do mine workers pay for accommodation & food when they work at the mines?

Is the full cost of the flight’s payed for by the employer.

FIFO positions normally provide accomodation and food. Generally the accomodation is basic to say the least but the food is good.

Your flights would be paid for.

You pay less tax if you work above a certain latitude too.

Guest karldyble

Hi Paul,

I'm heading up there in a week or so with BGC, what's the latitude cut off for tax reduction and by how much is it reduced?

Thanks

Ah , kcgm, was on a working holiday inthe 90s and just couldn`t get in there, ended up as a crush plant operator up at Ora Banda for Glengarry mines, they called the place the Sudgepit, at the time ,was through the C E S and no tickets required, 10 on and 4 off, nights and days

Ah , kcgm, was on a working holiday inthe 90s and just couldn`t get in there, ended up as a crush plant operator up at Ora Banda for Glengarry mines, they called the place the Sudgepit, at the time ,was through the C E S and no tickets required, 10 on and 4 off, nights and days

Thats long gone mate , licence to fart and you need em all ,and not necessry they will get you a job. A lot of the mines rigs jobbs most are for skilled craftsmen sparhys welders fitters etc and you cant necessarily go and get a job , most guys work for companies inperth on contract up there ,once you have worked there , then you will get the nod from other companies . If you are not a tradie ,then you will need the johnno club mate of a mate etc with the tickets . AS for nurses ,there is no fifo its all local ,stopping local.

Archived