Emigrating with UK debt

Guest sparkypeg

Guest TheHollies
ha i will owe loads and do now when i go to aus im not paying anybody at all iv paid enough

What if they contact family or neighbours to look for you?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest simondbsmith

Hi sparkypeg, we are due to move out to Oz in June, both of us have jobs already set up to go to plus a company car and rent paid up for 3 months so we are hopefully in a better position than many, however we are renting our UK house out as we have very little equity, we also have a few thousand on cc's but this is no way going to stop us, however we will be sending money to our UK account to cover the monthly payments until everything is clear!! We hope this should be straight forward, however can you see any problems with this?

I'm planning to clear my debts even if its a short settlement before I go, as at least it will be a totally fresh start. I just wonder if it will affect buying a house there as i'm training to be a midwife and living on loans etc to make it through the course, we probably will break even on the house so wont have much saved!

Guest sparkypeg
Hi sparkypeg, we are due to move out to Oz in June, both of us have jobs already set up to go to plus a company car and rent paid up for 3 months so we are hopefully in a better position than many, however we are renting our UK house out as we have very little equity, we also have a few thousand on cc's but this is no way going to stop us, however we will be sending money to our UK account to cover the monthly payments until everything is clear!! We hope this should be straight forward, however can you see any problems with this?

Simon,

My hope is that we will be in the same position as you with jobs to go to and other things sorted before we leave. Making enquiries; circulating CV and details as we speak.

Our house and financial situation is the same as you and apart from any fluctuations on the exchange rate and bank charges for overseas payments then i am not finding any other obvious problems. However i am yet to read the small pront of the loan/cc i have...hopefully no demons lurking there. I will definatley be calling the companies involved to inform them of the move if/when it happens.

I'm planning on making sure we can afford/budget for the current UK payments (which are over the minimum on cc) based on the highest exchange rate in the last year plus say a £5 charge per payment (total guess - still need to check if this is reasonable). Based on my projections of earnings in OZ then i think that we should be able to afford this "worst case" scenario and could happily cover it at current rates.

Since our situations are so similar can you explain whether your new employer has sponsored you/sorted out the visa or did you hacve a visa before getting the job? I'm hoping Employer Sponsorship will be available for me rather than try and get a visa then a job.

Cheers

Sparkypeg

Cazbeckham,

However much I would like that to be true - it isn't as there is currently no reciprocal agreement between the UK and Aus re debt. As long as fraud hasn't been committed there is nothing anyone can do if someone leaves the UK with debt and not only that it will not effect the persons credit score in Aus either as everyone has to start from scratch anyway.

Daniel

Technically wrong unless its government debt they can do jack ****

Be warned, I know for a fact that the major banks in Australia follow up debts for the banks in the UK, one can only assume that major lenders in the UK will have some sort of reciprocal agreement with similar institutions in Australia.

The UK and Australia have a lot of ties, you can't escape that easily.

Afternoon all,

I've always wanted to live and work in Australia, even if it ends up only being temporary. Now that i have finally gained the qualification in my field that should allow my wife and I to emigrate we are starting to do some serios research prior to officially applying for a visa and all that.

My first (and my wife would say every) worry is about money and more specifically going to Australia whilst still having UK debt, be it a loan or credit cards.

Has anyone had experience of going to Oz with UK debt and how did you deal with it? I can imagine there is extra costs/worries re overseas payments and possible movements on exchange, but as well as this were the credit companies okay with it all?

Cheers

Deal with em. Don't just leave it behind unless your 100% your not coming back to live.

Good luck John

Guest lindagarrattley

Hi, don't burn your financial bridges in UK as you never know if you will need to return. Many poms emigrate but return to UK within a few years for a variety of reasons. Be cautious as you may end up with CCJ's etc you know nothing about until you return. Best wishes

Guest simondbsmith

Hi, we have both got sponsorship provided by our employers, job offers are done and everything is going well. We have been quite lucky as we will have a joint gross income of about $110,000 a year, 3 months rental paid, company cars, flights paid one way, pension and so on. You just have a lot to sort but we both went out for interviews so we've already laid out about £4000 just getting to this stage. Good luck!

As an aside to this topic, be careful WHEN you tell banks, credit cards, utility companies etc. about your plan to leave the UK because the knowledge of your intentions will change the way they deal with you.

Without going into the boring details, we had a date set up to make the big move then, at the last minute, a medical emergency forced us to put it off for a bit over a year. We'd actually got the the stage of informing all the companies we dealt with about our plans and, when we went back to say "oops, no we're staying a while longer" many of them refused to go into any kind of credit arrangement. We ended up without UK credit cards, just a debit card, had to pay for our electricity with an expensive pre-pay meter, etc.

I'd stress that we hadn't tried to leave any debt--it was just that we'd told them of our planned move mainly to get final statements on a certain date. I assume all this was because so many people DO leave a debt.

So...before you tell them, make sure you really ARE going.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MARTINI
If you owe loads then you have obviously NOT paid enough.

Really poor attitude.

You borrowed the money, you benefited from it, so pay it back.

People like you make me sick.

I couldn't agree more with Rudi's comments.

Have you people no shame. Basically if you run away from your debts and refuse to pay them you are just common thieves. You have got debt because in some of the cases you borrowed money or spent on a credit card knowing quite well that you wouldn't be able to pay it back, would struggle to pay it back or that you had no intention of paying it back. I wonder how you people would feel if you paid your wages into the bank and then were told that you couldn't draw any money out?

Its because of people like you that others end up paying higher interest rates and the rules for getting credit get tougher each day. Some people on this site have tried to do the decent thing by either negotiating settlements or paying off their debts bit by bit, either in Uk or OZ.

Australia gave you a chance when hundreds others on this site may never achieve their dream. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Guest Hearne_Family

We came out to Australia with around £15,000 debt in the UK mainly due to our stupidity and desire to own the latest gadgets and wear nice clothes, we went too far and although I can agree in some terms that the banks are supposed to govern the loans and credit they give it was still us that chased the credit cards and loans, we signed on the dotted line and we spent the money that was not ours.

After we had our children and the repaymets became too hard to make on a single income we entered into a repayment plan, interest was frozen, one monthly repayment was agreed with ALL the people we owe money too and most importantly credit cards were frozen.

When we were coming out here there were 2 choices to make with our debt, run or continue paying, to us it was a simple choice...the company who handle our debt were notified by ourselves about our plans to move, we are now paying $400 a month back to the UK to pay off the debt, it will take another 5 years but the feeling is great, there is one fact to our debt:

We got into this mess and WE will get us out of it - Simple.

Debt is not a great thing to live with, but the constant worry about people chasing us up for money would be worse.

Pay up, be honest, do the right thing!

Terry

Guest alan_blue

yet again a popular post. We are paying monthly payments back to the uk with a direct debit through Hifx. Its easy.

I do hate it when peeps on here ssy that they wont catch you in oz if you leave the debt behind. I have asked many times for someone to come up with a reference for this in black and white and not one has appeared. Hear say is easy to follow and it wont hold up in court just cos you read in pio your honour.

It is each persons choice to leave or to pay and as many have said here you never know what is around the corner. We as PIO should only offer advice in legal matters if we know the correct laws and are qualified.

Hope this helps and I can fully reccommend Hifx, very easy and helpful:biggrin:

How much would you have to pay back in Australian dollars a month for a student loan? That would be around 15k. I haven't even started my nursing course but I want to be VERY prepared with a decent amount of money by the time I go out there in 4-5 years. It's a long wait but I'll be only 24 at the most! Is anyone paying off a student loan from Aus? (DW, I have no intention of running from any debt, let alone government debt!!!) :-)

I'm a student midwife but as i'm training in wales we dont have student loans but what i understand from other friends on student loans is that you have to be earning a certain amount before you start paying back the loans anyway, not sure how much but say its £24k a year then they take a certain amount straight from your pay. You would just need to advise them that you are emmigrating! After 25 years if you still have not earned enough to qualify for them taking out monthly payments the loan is written off. x x

I'm currently making my way through the visa process...5 years after deciding to emigrate. Why the delay? The reason is the stupid amount of debt that I'd managed to get myself into...I decided to postpone my dream of emigrating to repay all of my debts - and in 6 months, I'll be debt-free! Leaving it all behind wasn't even an option for me. Not only do I have the satisfaction of knowing that no-one but me got myself out of the mess that I made, but I'll never get into a pickle like that again - to say that I've learnt from it doesn't even come close!! So, to all those who are taking responsibility and doing the right thing - hats off & more power to you! To those that are leaving it all behind - I hope that you'll be forever cursed with high interest rates, poor credit ratings and the fear of the bailiffs!!

How much would you have to pay back in Australian dollars a month for a student loan? That would be around 15k. I haven't even started my nursing course but I want to be VERY prepared with a decent amount of money by the time I go out there in 4-5 years. It's a long wait but I'll be only 24 at the most! Is anyone paying off a student loan from Aus? (DW, I have no intention of running from any debt, let alone government debt!!!) :-)

For AUS, the current threshold on which you need to start repaying is £12,000 GBP equivalent. In the UK it is £15,000 GBP. I will hopefully have mines paid off by the time I leave for Oz, but if not, its just a matter of letting them know and arrangements can be made if applicable.

You pay back 9% of your monthly earnings, regardless of loan amount.

More info at Overseas Repayment :wink:

For AUS, the current threshold on which you need to start repaying is £12,000 GBP equivalent. In the UK it is £15,000 GBP. I will hopefully have mines paid off by the time I leave for Oz, but if not, its just a matter of letting them know and arrangements can be made if applicable.

You pay back 9% of your monthly earnings, regardless of loan amount.

More info at Overseas Repayment :wink:

Okay :) ty! thats not too bad actually!

• 1 month later...
Guest dazjoe

Wow, people are so self righteous on here!

Credit card companies and banks rip people off left, right and centre. I left behind a mobile phone bill of over 200 pound when I left, after I'd tried several times to cancel it, they simply refused. I phoned many times, wrote letters, sent emails, continually telling them to cancel my contract and yet at the end of every month they kept on taking money. Eventually I cancelled the direct debit and watched the debt rise, and took great delight and pleasure in telling them that I was leaving the country owing them money, they weren't happy but hey, if they'd done what I'd bloody asked them to do then we wouldn't of been in that situation, would we?

Lets take at the look at the state of the economy, because of banks, and the illegal bank charges, and sky high interest rates, and you are all STILL siding with the banks?!

Bollocks to them, take what you can and run, because by God believe me they would do it to us if they could

Guest guest33730
Wow, people are so self righteous on here!

Credit card companies and banks rip people off left, right and centre. I left behind a mobile phone bill of over 200 pound when I left, after I'd tried several times to cancel it, they simply refused. I phoned many times, wrote letters, sent emails, continually telling them to cancel my contract and yet at the end of every month they kept on taking money. Eventually I cancelled the direct debit and watched the debt rise, and took great delight and pleasure in telling them that I was leaving the country owing them money, they weren't happy but hey, if they'd done what I'd bloody asked them to do then we wouldn't of been in that situation, would we?

Lets take at the look at the state of the economy, because of banks, and the illegal bank charges, and sky high interest rates, and you are all STILL siding with the banks?!

Bollocks to them, take what you can and run, because by God believe me they would do it to us if they could

Aside from the whole attitude of a lack of integrity plus advocating that you need to 'do unto others as they do to you' I find your post totally lacking in any logic!!

Who do you think suffers when the banks lose money?? do you think it's the fat cat bosses - of course not they have their pension funds and pay offs!! It's the employees at the bottom of the pile as well as all the elderly in our country who are relying on 'safe' banking shares for their pensions. You may dress it up in a self righteous - 'they deserve it' logic that justifies your suggestion that it's ok to steal or at least it's ok to borrow money in good faith and then deliberately not repay it but the only people who end up suffering are the 'innocents' - your parents, family, neighbours who have a few shares they have put aside for their future.

For the record I am not having a go at those who have got themselves into financial difficulty and are making real effort to get themselves (responsibly) out of it but God help the UK if everyone takes your position and stops taking personal responsibility for their actions!!

Daniel

Guest dazjoe

For the record I am not having a go at those who have got themselves into financial difficulty and are making real effort to get themselves (responsibly) out of it but God help the UK if everyone takes your position and stops taking personal responsibility for their actions!!

Daniel

Why is it just the regular Joe who has to take responsibilty for their actions? Because the banks certainly don't! They do what the hell they like and simply go cap in hand to the goverment when they need a bailout.

I agree, to a point, that it's the everyday man and woman who will suffer, but perhaps if more and more people screwed banks over they might actually open their eyes and realise that we are all sick to the back teeth of their greedy, money grabbing ways. Are they ever likely to change if every body just keeps tutting and saying "bloody banks" but not actually doing a damn thing about them? I wouldn't care one iota how many people hated me if I was earning billions of pounds a year, I might start to care if my money started to vanish because more and more people were doing what they could to take it off me, I might even change my ways and become more 'people friendly'!

It might sound like a silly dream of living in a world where banks work for us instead of bending us over and financially shafting us every way they can, but hey, a man can dream.

Guest guest33730

Why is it just the regular Joe who has to take responsibilty for their actions? Because the banks certainly don't! They do what the hell they like and simply go cap in hand to the goverment when they need a bailout.

I agree, to a point, that it's the everyday man and woman who will suffer, but perhaps if more and more people screwed banks over they might actually open their eyes and realise that we are all sick to the back teeth of their greedy, money grabbing ways. Are they ever likely to change if every body just keeps tutting and saying "bloody banks" but not actually doing a damn thing about them? I wouldn't care one iota how many people hated me if I was earning billions of pounds a year, I might start to care if my money started to vanish because more and more people were doing what they could to take it off me, I might even change my ways and become more 'people friendly'!

It might sound like a silly dream of living in a world where banks work for us instead of bending us over and financially shafting us every way they can, but hey, a man can dream.

I am not defending the banks actions but it amazes me that the only reason we are blaming the banks is due to their 'irresponsible' lending policy. In other words they lent money to people who perhaps should not have been given loans and therefore they perhaps shouldn't be surprised when people can't pay the loans back. But surely the individuals must take some responsibility as well?? Why do people take out loans that they know they may have difficulty repaying? Are we really saying that we want the banks or Government to police us in what we do or don't borrow? I think that is going to be the end result of this - that people will not have access to funding for things anymore (which IMHO may be a good thing)

But my real issue is with those who CAN afford to repay the loans and are now trying to get on the bandwagon saying the banks did this or that so I'm not paying it back. For goodness sake - you took the loan out when it suited you now take some responsibility and pay it back!

Daniel

Personally i have just lost 25k on the sale of my property, which was real money, it was my whole deposit and every penny i have paid off over the last 3 years!! Im breaking even with my house sale, which is heart breaking, as i have also spent 10k on improvements!!

I have the banks to thank for that! and i am seriously considering taking some of it back?!?

But i am having a morale dilemna......:unsure:

Guest guest33730
Personally i have just lost 25k on the sale of my property, which was real money, it was my whole deposit and every penny i have paid off over the last 3 years!! Im breaking even with my house sale, which is heart breaking, as i have also spent 10k on improvements!!

I have the banks to thank for that! and i am seriously considering taking some of it back?!?

But i am having a morale dilemna......:unsure:

Jaybone - I'm not going to go into any details but i have lost hundreds of thousands recently because of the banking Crises as one of my company's collapsed - It's still not a reason to compromise MY integrity because someone/something else has lost theirs. If people start taking the law/justice into their own hands it will lead to Anarchy. I have chosen not to run away from what has happened - believe me I have been tempted especially knowing that by moving to Aus I could escape it all overnight. At the end of the day I have lost a significant amount of money but I'm not going to let them take my dignity or especially my integrity!!

Daniel

Archived