Emigrating with UK debt

Guest sparkypeg

Guest sparkypeg

Afternoon all,

I've always wanted to live and work in Australia, even if it ends up only being temporary. Now that i have finally gained the qualification in my field that should allow my wife and I to emigrate we are starting to do some serios research prior to officially applying for a visa and all that.

My first (and my wife would say every) worry is about money and more specifically going to Australia whilst still having UK debt, be it a loan or credit cards.

Has anyone had experience of going to Oz with UK debt and how did you deal with it? I can imagine there is extra costs/worries re overseas payments and possible movements on exchange, but as well as this were the credit companies okay with it all?

Cheers

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cazbeckham

If I were you I would try and pay debts before you leave as they will still catch up with you.

If they didn't then millions of people would have taken UK debt before emigrating if they knew they would not be caught.

Better to try and pay before you leave as you say the exchange rate could be devastating

Guest Count Zero
Afternoon all,

I've always wanted to live and work in Australia, even if it ends up only being temporary. Now that i have finally gained the qualification in my field that should allow my wife and I to emigrate we are starting to do some serios research prior to officially applying for a visa and all that.

My first (and my wife would say every) worry is about money and more specifically going to Australia whilst still having UK debt, be it a loan or credit cards.

Has anyone had experience of going to Oz with UK debt and how did you deal with it? I can imagine there is extra costs/worries re overseas payments and possible movements on exchange, but as well as this were the credit companies okay with it all?

Cheers

I had a debt when I first went. I just made sure I had left enough in the bank to cover it for a year to give me time to get settled. Its not illegal to leave the country with debts and folks do it all the time, just make sure it looks like you intend to pay them.

Guest guest33730
If I were you I would try and pay debts before you leave as they will still catch up with you.

If they didn't then millions of people would have taken UK debt before emigrating if they knew they would not be caught.

Better to try and pay before you leave as you say the exchange rate could be devastating

Cazbeckham,

However much I would like that to be true - it isn't as there is currently no reciprocal agreement between the UK and Aus re debt. As long as fraud hasn't been committed there is nothing anyone can do if someone leaves the UK with debt and not only that it will not effect the persons credit score in Aus either as everyone has to start from scratch anyway.

So as long as you are happy burning your bridges and do not plan to return to the UK for at least seven years and leave no assets in the country your debt does not necessarily follow you.

HOWEVER I personally hate this and would never advise or encourage anyone to take this approach. What I do feel a bit more comfortable with is using this knowledge to help in working out a compromise with the credit or loan companies that money is owed to.

I think it is wrong to take out debt when it suits but then plan not to repay it however I do understand that life can mean that ones circumstances change (such as losing a job etc). When this happens I think if someone is overseas and owes money that they can't repay it may be reasonable to use the fact that the debt can't be chased to negotiate terms that suit the debtor. This approach means that everything is above board, the person can still return to the UK without the fear of Bankruptcy etc - It's when people just run and hide that makes things seem underhand and wrong.

Just my opinion but that's what PIO is about I suppose.

Daniel

Guest sunnyday
Cazbeckham,

However much I would like that to be true - it isn't as there is currently no reciprocal agreement between the UK and Aus re debt. As long as fraud hasn't been committed there is nothing anyone can do if someone leaves the UK with debt and not only that it will not effect the persons credit score in Aus either as everyone has to start from scratch anyway.

So as long as you are happy burning your bridges and do not plan to return to the UK for at least seven years and leave no assets in the country your debt does not necessarily follow you.

HOWEVER I personally hate this and would never advise or encourage anyone to take this approach. What I do feel a bit more comfortable with is using this knowledge to help in working out a compromise with the credit or loan companies that money is owed to.

I think it is wrong to take out debt when it suits but then plan not to repay it however I do understand that life can mean that ones circumstances change (such as losing a job etc). When this happens I think if someone is overseas and owes money that they can't repay it may be reasonable to use the fact that the debt can't be chased to negotiate terms that suit the debtor. This approach means that everything is above board, the person can still return to the UK without the fear of Bankruptcy etc - It's when people just run and hide that makes things seem underhand and wrong.

Just my opinion but that's what PIO is about I suppose.

Daniel

Daniel, you're always so balanced:notworthy:

Guest guest33730
Daniel, you're always so balanced:notworthy:

Not always!! - Just ask my wife!!

Or my kids

Or my church

Or any one who knows me!!

Daniel

Guest sunnyday
Not always!! - Just ask my wife!!

Or my kids

Or my church

Or any one who knows me!!

Daniel

:biglaugh:

Guest confused irishman

i have been trying to gat an answer to this for ages elsewhere. instaed of answering my question people tend to want to judge me from their moral high horse.(no reflection on anyone posting here). i would try to negotiate a small monthly payment with the creditors. one that was affordable to me. if they didnt want to talk and i wasnt planning on coming back i would walk away. i wouldnt like to have the debt hanging over me, but at the same time i wouldnt let it stop me from getting on with my life. if they want their money they will talk knowing you are in another country and they can do nothing till you come back.

Are you planning on coming to Australia with no money?

Personally i wouldnt come until all my debts were paid off, which is what we are doing now, and trying to save up as much money as we can to ensure we can survive for at least 2 years if work isnt easy to come by.

We have literally just been talking about this, we had originally planned on moving over this August, but looks more likely it will be the end of the year now which gives us more time to save. I just hope that extra time spent saving isnt wiped out by further drops in the exchange rate!!!

I would feel like a fugitive hiding in Australia if i left without paying off my debts or leaving money in the UK to service them until they are paid off. Just my opinion

Jon

Guest kevwend

hey long shot i know but call your creditors and ask for settlement figures as you are emigrating they do come up with some amazing figures !! try to clear one each month cos as already said in previous posts they cant enforce any actions on you from uk to aus so will be in their best interest to help you clear it before you leave :-)

The problem (this is not directed at the OP BTW) with walking away from your debts and saying "I am never planning to return to live in the UK" is that so many people DO return to the UK, people who you would never in a million years expect to. It is short sighted for people not to pay them off.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest sparkypeg

All,

Thanks for the posts, more than i thought.

However at no point am i ever thinking of negating on any debt i was just interested in the practicality of it and whether anyone else had paid UK debt form Oz and how it had gone. I would budget the costs into the living expenses in Oz with a buffer for exchange and costs.

The options i see us having are going with some savings and debt as soon as possible, or paying off debt and then savings again (which is not the preferred choice as i would estimate that this would take up to 2 years at least and put alter plans such as starting a family).

Thanks again.

Guest annabannana

hello . We want to come to oz also and have debt

we have to pay cc off then save save save to come and live for a little

and sell house to clear mort and loan .

We think it will take 2 yrs to get sorted but need to do it properly or eles we will fail i think and there will be too much stress without worry of leaving dept

make a plan and take your time x

unless your approching 44 and then run run run for the hills lol

Guest sophi
hey long shot i know but call your creditors and ask for settlement figures as you are emigrating they do come up with some amazing figures !! try to clear one each month cos as already said in previous posts they cant enforce any actions on you from uk to aus so will be in their best interest to help you clear it before you leave :-)

Would that also count for going from auz to uk?? we are returning and have finance on a car. We cant afford to pay it off and are stuck of what to do. ther has only been arond 6 months paid on it and if we give them any more money we cant afford to go back. We are very confused as of what to do, we are scared to tell them we are going home incase they make us pay it before we leave. which we dont have. will it jeperdise us on going home. we are terrified we will get stoped at airport if the balance isnt cleared.

Can anyone give me some advise on this matter befor i phone the finance company, as i dont know what to tell them.:confused:

Guest confused irishman

you wont get stopped at the airport. dont worry about that. sell the car and give them the money. thats what i done when i was in the same position. had the loan 7 months sold the car and it just cleared the loan. sold it to a car yard. luckily they missed all the rust that i missed on the chassis of the car.

Technically wrong unless its government debt they can do jack ****

ha i will owe loads and do now when i go to aus im not paying anybody at all iv paid enough

If you owe loads then you have obviously NOT paid enough.

Really poor attitude.

You borrowed the money, you benefited from it, so pay it back.

People like you make me sick.

I think threads like this always get nasty. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, BUT they should not be so quick to judge others. Stating things such as, ppl like you make me sick, is exactly what turns these threads sour. If you are planning on leaving your debt, that is ur choice, but I think it unbeneficial to anyone, to come on here & just openly flaunt it. It's not helping anyone & it's just asking for someone to get ruffled.

I think threads like this always get nasty. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, BUT they should not be so quick to judge others. Stating things such as, ppl like you make me sick, is exactly what turns these threads sour. If you are planning on leaving your debt, that is ur choice, but I think it unbeneficial to anyone, to come on here & just openly flaunt it. It's not helping anyone & it's just asking for someone to get ruffled.

Absolutely - and MY opinion, which I am entitled to state is that this person makes me sick.

Why should I not judge this person? They laughingly state that they are not going to pay their debt, why should I remain quiet when I feel strongly against what they are doing. It is MY hard earned money that ends up covering for morons such as this.

Saying they make you sick, is not helping anyone, it's just getting nasty. Maybe if you could give your advice in a nicer way, so it won't turn ugly. Plus, I don't think they wud listen anyways, so it's a pointless exercise. I might not agree with someone & there arevslot of ppl that upset me, but there r other ways to express opinions. Specially on forums like this. I'm done, just my opinion.

Guest confused irishman
What if we cant sell it for the amount they are looking for?

just do what you can. be seen to be trying. if its not enough for them . **** them! do you see the bankers or politicians worrying about bringing countries to their knees. no!! they get bonuses and expenses paid for such things.

Guest Rob c
just do what you can. be seen to be trying. if its not enough for them . **** them! do you see the bankers or politicians worrying about bringing countries to their knees. no!! they get bonuses and expenses paid for such things.

Yea, your dead right , to hell with them all!! :laugh:, shower of ****es!!

Archived