State Migration Plan-What states are saying?...

cartertucker

If ACT are smart, they will get their list in before the other states, so the ACT Cat 5

Yes.. i am praying ACT will be smart and submit list asap because there will be a huge influx of SS apps, and if they want the people soon, they should get things moving. As I said before, there is no reason for the SMP to have to wait until July 1 as the priority #2 is already active, and not tied to new SOL.

Of course this is purely wishful thinking, because I will benefit from a speedy process :D

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes.. i am praying ACT will be smart and submit list asap because there will be a huge influx of SS apps, and if they want the people soon, they should get things moving. As I said before, there is no reason for the SMP to have to wait until July 1 as the priority #2 is already active, and not tied to new SOL.

Of course this is purely wishful thinking, because I will benefit from a speedy process :D

Wishful thinking from me too as I'm currently baseline (think you are too)? If they were the first state with the SMP then processing could be REAL quick! I'm so ready, it would be great. Fingers crossed.

Wishful thinking from me too as I'm currently baseline (think you are too)? If they were the first state with the SMP then processing could be REAL quick! I'm so ready, it would be great. Fingers crossed.

Yup... I'm baseline too. Wouldn't it be cool to be first to go :biggrin:

Guest archisami

I do like to believe that ACT would be the first state to draw up the plan ,but as I asked them regarding SDL Baseline list the day after priority changes . . .:yes:

Q1-How will the State Migration Plan consider the applicants whom are sponsored?

Q2-Is there any relation between occupations in State Migration Plan and SDL Baseline list? (For example "open" occupations are high in demand so they are in the State Migration Plan)

Q3-The new direction emphasizes that "at 8 February 2010, the minister has not approved any State Migration Plan" so, when will you draw up the State Migration Program to be approved and how will be announced?

the answer was . . .:confused:

This news was just as much of a surprise for us as it was the general public and at this stage we do not a have Migration Plan in place. When we do, which will be very soon, we will make all the new information available on our website.

We are not connected to DIAC and cannot advise on processing times – we simply do not know as yet how the changes will affect everything. Please keep a check on our website for any new and updated information.

We are confident that these changes will not affect our program in any major way other than positively and that’s about all I can tell you at this point in time.

do you guess they have a certain plan now?

Hi,

If you look back on page 3 of this thread there was a response from ACT that they were pretty much thinking of submitting their current SS list as their SMP, give or take a few occupations. I guess now we just wait and see when they submit it, and if DIAC make any further changes to that list.

Mat

This news was just as much of a surprise for us as it was the general public and at this stage we do not a have Migration Plan in place. When we do, which will be very soon, we will make all the new information available on our website.

We are not connected to DIAC and cannot advise on processing times – we simply do not know as yet how the changes will affect everything. Please keep a check on our website for any new and updated information.

We are confident that these changes will not affect our program in any major way other than positively and that’s about all I can tell you at this point in time.

Well, I would say that this statement is a very positive one.....Really good news.....:yes:

Great to hear that they dont think it will have major changes & even better they say it will be published very soon!.....:wink:

We were told that ACT wasn't just submitting the Baseline list but the off list one as well for those who had already gained SS.

HI, who told you that if you don't mind me asking. I think the email that ACT sent to one PIO member is confusing (see page 3 of this thread). It states that they will be submitting their 'quota' list, but that doesn't make sense (although I'd love it to be true!)

One member has emailed for clarification, so we may find out soon.

Someone in the ACT dept told us they would be submitting their quota list/off list nominations as well for the majority of occupations on it as they still desperately need people in those jobs. Our agent also said he believes what the ACT has told us. Why doesn't it make sense? If they are sponsoring people, they obviously need the workers. It seems that a few of us have been told the same now.

The nice thing is that the ACT seemed to be prepared for this news and set out their new SS list in November in such a way that it should be transferable to the Cat 2. Here's to hoping anyway. We were told that all existing SS, whether baseline or off list as there was no distinction when many applied, from the ACT should be moved up but that is all dependent on the DIAC.

Someone in the ACT dept told us they would be submitting their quota list/off list nominations as well for the majority of occupations on it as they still desperately need people in those jobs. Our agent also said he believes what the ACT has told us. Why doesn't it make sense? If they are sponsoring people, they obviously need the workers. It seems that a few of us have been told the same now.

The nice thing is that the ACT seemed to be prepared for this news and set out their new SS list in November in such a way that it should be transferable to the Cat 2. Here's to hoping anyway. We were told that all existing SS, whether baseline or off list as there was no distinction when many applied, from the ACT should be moved up but that is all dependent on the DIAC.

That's reassuring! It didn't make sense, because I, like a lot of people believed the baseline list to be the occupations that were 'more' in demand. SO when, the reply from ACT was posted on here, a few people questionned whether they actually just meant they would be submitting the baseline list.

Trust me, it would be great if they submit both. Looking at it from a cynical view though, if they just submit both lists, then what would be the difference beween normal SS as we know it now and a new SMP? I keep hoping that it will just be the same and it's a way of the Minister restoring priority to SS without having to lose face.

Why don't the States just use the Skills Matching Database to pick people with the occupations and skills that they need? I thought that was what it was there for?

Although the whole SS confuses me, I'm at a loss as to why Victoria generally won't sponsor IT people, even though they're on its SOL and they even have a special information booklet for ICT workers published on their website!

Trust me, it would be great if they submit both. Looking at it from a cynical view though, if they just submit both lists, then what would be the difference beween normal SS as we know it now and a new SMP? I keep hoping that it will just be the same and it's a way of the Minister restoring priority to SS without having to lose face. from Lavender776

(sorry messed the quote up!!)

I think having two different priorities for state sponsorship could be the Ministers way of reigning in the states that have really long long lists and no limit on the number of people they sponsor. So ACT which has been more rigorous with a smaller list and strict quotas for the numbers they will sponsor could expect to get all its SS into its State migration plan and other States might not.

Thanks to everyone for posting this info on ACTs State migration plan makes really interesting reading.... I am just hoping that NSW will be shortly behind them as it has a really small list that is regularly adjusted and I hope could also expect all its SS to be on its State migration plan..

Sarah

According to the people I spoke with at the ACT, they technically only have one SS list. Just that some occupations have quotas and the others don't. There wasn't even a distinction on their website until after November. Prior to that it was just one big list.

It's interesting that they view it as one long list as I always looked at it as two lists. That could be good for me though, as I was worrying that they would only submit those ocupations on the baseline 'list'. (I keep trying to not excited about the prospect of being pushed upto category 2).

I'm sure they had the two lists before November though. I applied in September (just after they rehashed their lists) and I remember goig into a state of panic when I looked at the first list and my occupation wasn't on there.

I'm just frantic to read anyone's opinion on this subject. As I said on an earlier post, I had sort of resigned myself to a long, long wait, but now there's a chance of things moving a bit quicker, I'm becoming impatient.

It's interesting that they view it as one long list as I always looked at it as two lists. That could be good for me though, as I was worrying that they would only submit those ocupations on the baseline 'list'. (I keep trying to not excited about the prospect of being pushed upto category 2).

I'm sure they had the two lists before November though. I applied in September (just after they rehashed their lists) and I remember goig into a state of panic when I looked at the first list and my occupation wasn't on there.

I'm just frantic to read anyone's opinion on this subject. As I said on an earlier post, I had sort of resigned myself to a long, long wait, but now there's a chance of things moving a bit quicker, I'm becoming impatient.

You're right. It was September when they introduced their two lists. I too had a long wait to see if my occupation was sill 'in demand' after their rehash. I got very excited this morning when I read the reply another PIO'er had received which said they hoped to get their SMP together VERY soon. I wish very soon meant tomorrow! I'm so impatient!!!!:wink:

I think having two different priorities for state sponsorship could be the Ministers way of reigning in the states that have really long long lists and no limit on the number of people they sponsor. So ACT which has been more rigorous with a smaller list and strict quotas for the numbers they will sponsor could expect to get all its SS into its State migration plan and other States might not.

Thanks to everyone for posting this info on ACTs State migration plan makes really interesting reading.... I am just hoping that NSW will be shortly behind them as it has a really small list that is regularly adjusted and I hope could also expect all its SS to be on its State migration plan..

Sarah

I think you hit the nail on the head. Some States seemed to offer everything under the sun. Plus, it seemed that the Minister of Immigration really wanted to cut down on certain occupations which many States had on their SS lists. By removing these occupations and actually reflecting the actual need for jobs in the specific states, which is what it appears the ACT did, it should make it easier to get the new SMP through.

My husband is in one of the quota positions and we have been told we most definitely do not need to worry. When it comes straight from the horse's mouth, I am going to believe it.

You're right. It was September when they introduced their two lists. I too had a long wait to see if my occupation was sill 'in demand' after their rehash. I got very excited this morning when I read the reply another PIO'er had received which said they hoped to get their SMP together VERY soon. I wish very soon meant tomorrow! I'm so impatient!!!!:wink:

We applied in July and I only noticed the two lists in November so I apologise by being off by two months. The fact still remains the same that for the bulk of the SS applicants, there was never a "second list" when they applied.

We applied in July and I only noticed the two lists in November so I apologise by being off by two months. The fact still remains the same that for the bulk of the SS applicants, there was never a "second list" when they applied.

Let's just hope that whatever they do, they do it soon so we don't have to keep guessing.

They said they would post information to their web site "very soon" so I was hoping we'd have some firmer details well before July. I guess the Minister is a busy man though and he still needs to approve the SMP.

He could also decide that he doesn't want to finally agree one state plan until he has all of them lined up to be agreed :eek: which would be sooooooooooooo annoying...

On the bright side of waiting (I am clutching at straws here)...... hopefully the exchange rate may improve.... roll on May election and fingers crossed there is no hung parliament here as that would be pants for the exchange rate.

Queensland to draw up migration plan to curb population | The Courier-Mail

Just found this article, 'Queensland to Draw up Migration Plan to Curb Population' on the Brisbane Courier Mail website

debsx

Interesting... they say they want to try and get people in the regional areas. Well, with SS they are committed to a state not to a region, so I don't see how that will work out. Unless, they have some special surprise in store?

I doubt we'll know anything before July. I hate how everything keeps changing. It makes me feel sick.

Again, to remain ever so hopeful, we haven't heard anything that indicates the new SMP is tied to the release of the new SOL. Of course, getting it done sooner would require DIAC to do things quickly.

Archived