Changes to MODL - 8 Feb 2010

ptlabs

Weren't some of the ones that now say 'limited' once saying 'open'? I'm not 100% sure but my occupation now says 'limited' but I think it said 'open'. I could be wrong though as it seems a million years ago since I applied. So much has changed since then!

yes, the list gets updated as the number of available spaces for each occupation decreases.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so I did indeed work out, through the collaborative help of others that I now need to sit the exam known as 'IELTS', 'TLSIE' or whatever it's pseudonym is. I did search the DIAC site and they fail to mention whether you need to sit the 'General' or 'Academic' English Language qualification that those lovely individuals at Cambridge (interestingly not very high up on the choice of ACAS University lists anymore) helped write. The downloadable content that they offer is very limited and most of the links fail. Great 'Web Management' skills there fellow English types! As adverse to trawling the DIAC site that I am, it's still not indicative of which test you need to sit. I do know that I can score 25 points for a band seven score, but does anybody know exactly which exam I should partake in?

Shld I nswer most Qs in da Xam in TXT spk or LEET? If nybody cld hlp, pls rply!

Okay, so I did indeed work out, through the collaborative help of others that I now need to sit the exam known as 'IELTS', 'TLSIE' or whatever it's pseudonym is. I did search the DIAC site and they fail to mention whether you need to sit the 'General' or 'Academic' English Language qualification that those lovely individuals at Cambridge (interestingly not very high up on the choice of ACAS University lists anymore). As adverse to trawling the DIAC site that I am, it's still not indicative of which test you need to sit. I do know that I can score 25 points for a band seven score, but does anybody know exactly which exam I should partake in?

Shld I nswer most Qs in da Xam in TXT spk or LEET? If nybody cld hlp, pls rply!

For the DIAC purposes you need to pass the general test.

Just be aware for skills assessment of some occupations, they require the academic one.

For the DIAC purposes you need to pass the general test.

Just be aware for skills assessment of some occupations, they require the academic one.

Cheers mate, just wanted to verify before I spend a day's wages on the test itself. I do have an ACS (Australian Computing Society) assessment going through as I reply to which they did not state any prior English certifications. I should get the results which will either be either a 'yay' or 'nay' by the end of this month. Scheduling for these exams is pretty few and far between, as far as dates are concerned. The next available dates are 20th of Feb anywhere!

Cheers mate, just wanted to verify before I spend a day's wages on the test itself. I do have an ACS (Australian Computing Society) assessment going through as I reply to which they did not state any prior English certifications. I should get the results which will either be either a 'yay' or 'nay' by the end of this month. Scheduling for these exams is pretty few and far between, as far as dates are concerned. The next available dates are 20th of Feb anywhere!

Good Luck with the IELTS & ACS assessment... I've been there, done that! My advice for IELTS is to purchase the official practice material... it helped me immensely in terms of what to expect.

Irregular 'vowel' movement, have at ye young sir! I challenge thee to doiley of death at dawn! Haven't heard that joke since sixth form and thought it highly unlikely that I would ever hear that joke again, thanks for making my evening that much more pleasurable =) Just joking, the help is greatly appreciated either way... Oops, bad punctuation there with no verbuncular....

For computing professionals general IELTS is good enough.

I think from July 2010 the systerm will work the next way:

1. ENS

2. State sponsored

3. Independent applicants included in new SOL.

That's all. Simple and clear.

The minister has always wanted to limit unsponsored applicants, so it's logical to put them at the end of the queue. It's also illogical to put SS applicants back after unsponsored. However, states will have to approve their lists with the minister.

New SOL will be very short so it means cat. 3 will be short too.

The question is what is going to happen with existing cat.5 SS applicants and todays independent 175? How will they be treated. It is possible that those who are not included in approved States lists and without SS will temporary make a queue number 4 and 5 untill they vanish.

I also have a big question: are there among 20000 unlucky once those who have state sponsoship on hands? I want to know is the minister so brave that he igores states decision to take an applicant or did he cap only unsponsored people. It will set a patern for the future.

Good Luck with the IELTS & ACS assessment... I've been there, done that! My advice for IELTS is to purchase the official practice material... it helped me immensely in terms of what to expect.

I did visit the site and download all the teaching materials and a couple of rapidshare files that were free and legal, obviously. Ran through the teaching materials and it seems all quite probable to pass. I did run through every section in the exam and wasn't really surprised by any of the content as I used to examine TTA students (Teacher Training Association) in English comprehension skills to enable them QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)...

Oh and if anybody else needs any IELTS practice files then just pm me and I can email you over a link to download the free examples...will upload content in a couple of days ;]

Guest Jamie Smith

It seems to me that the Minister decided a while ago to leave that 20,000 sitting, and has shaped the subsequent changes knowing that the 20,000 could then just fall off the system.

Seems clear to me that the bulk of the changes such as CSL and priority processing were knowingly and retrospectivly going to count against the 20,000 who were waiting.

Possibility for class action litigation on DIAC/TRA’s new Job Ready Program (JRP)

The recent changes (01 Jan 2010) announced by DIAC & TRA for skills assessment of tradespersons qualified in Australia involving the so-called ‘Job Ready Program’ (JRP) is unfair and illegal in certain ways.

The Australian Classification of Occupations (ACSO) requires most tradespersons to have completed the required Certificate III/Diploma or Advance Diploma to be classified as a tradesperson for a particular occupation.

For example:

(1) Baker (ASCO 4512-11)

a. Skill Level

The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification

(2) General Electrician (ACSO 4311-11)

a. Skill Level

The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.

Compare these two occupations;

- for a person to work as a ‘Baker’ s/he does only need to complete an AQF certificate III in Bakery and the person is qualified to work in Australia.

- While for a person who completed an AQF Certificate III as a General Electrician, he would still need to obtain a relevant State/Authority registration or license.

So for occupations that does not require a registration or licensing, a basic completion of a Cert III (or Diploma as the case may be) is sufficient for a person to work in that Trade in Australia and recognised as a Tradesperson qualified in that particular Trade.

ASCO does not state that the person has to be born in Australia or have to be a resident in Australia.

If a person has acquired the required qualifications (holds a relevant AQF certification, after having completed this study in Australia) and as per ASCO definition is eligible to work in Australia in that trade; then TRA cannot impose additional requirement – as far as their requirement for being classified as a tradesperson is concerned – as these are developed by the local industry and relevant employers bodies for each trade and defined in ASCO.

DIAC certainly can impose additional conditions for further stay of these overseas-born workers in Australia in terms of meeting immigration requirements.

However they do not have the right to dictate if a tradesperson who is qualified under Australian workplace regulations needs to additionally prove their qualifications or ability (in their qualified trade) , just because they were born overseas, after they have studied, qualified and been trained in a recognised Australian Training or Educational Institute)

To put in another way, study the following Scenario ….

Person A undertook and completed a certificate III in Bakery from a TAFE and was employed by the local Bakery as a Baker.

Person B is a classmate of Person A, completed the same certificate III in Bakery from the same TAFE and has been offered an identical job as a Baker by the same local bakery.

Person A as born and bred in Australia

Person B was born overseas.

TRA does not have the right to state that Person B is not a qualified Baker, just because s/he has not completed its JRP assessment when his employer and the relevant industry bodies in Australia recognises Person B as a Baker as per ASCO definition/requirement.

The argument here is that TRA cannot impose additional conditions for an Australian qualified worker to be classified as a tradesperson in his/her qualified trade, just because s/he was born overseas.

DIAC certainly can impose additional conditions like English language threshold etc., to live in Australia permanently but it cannot impose additional conditions for an occupation in Australia, when the relevant industry bodies, employers and workplace regulations does not require so.

If DIAC/TRA requires an overseas born worker to learn about more about Australian workplace – which itself is not legal, when employers and industry bodies does not require so – then they can add conditions for such workers to undertake certain additional courses or training, but not a year long process involving full-time employment and other requirements.

(Even a minimum requirement for any additional courses or training is debatable, as these are not required by industry bodies to certify a tradesperson, as long as they are qualified as required from Australian Educational/Training institutes)

So this additional requirement by TRA for Australian Qualified tradespersons – who were unfortunately born overseas – can be classified as workplace discrimination.

Guest proud2beaussie
Hi

how do i pm you

cheers

Left click on the members username and then select "send a private message to',that will open up a new screen and you can write your message,when you are finished click on send.

Cheers

For people who lodged application before Feb 8, is it really not going to be affected?

I lodged my application of Visa 175 (CSL, not sponsored) on Feb 3. According to the website,

"Q 2 My nominated occupation is currently on the CSL. Will I continue to receive priority processing?

Yes, priority processing arrangements for applications for permanent skilled migration will continue until they are reviewed in mid-2010. More information on the new arrangements will be provided closer to this time on www.immi.gov.au"

"Q 10 What will happen to applications in the final stages of processing where the department has requested applicants provide health and character clearances?

The new arrangements apply to all visa applications, including those in the final stages of processing. Applications in lower priority groups cannot be processed further until those in higher priority groups are finalised in accordance with the priority processing direction"

Not sure if I am correct, it seems that the application will not be affected only if it's finalized by mid-2010. However, there is no way for the DIAC to finalize my application by mid-2010, in just 4-5 months. Am I understanding the new change correctly? (of course, hope that I am wrong).

Is there going to be another newer priority of processing released in mid-2010? When the DIAC releases the new SOL in mid-2010, there will be no longer categories of CSL, MODL.

i wonder if all the occupations in the CSL will be included in the new SOL. I will be very surprised and speechless if any one of the occupations in the CSL is taken off from the new SOL, i.e. an occupation goes from 'critically' demanded to "not skilled" in just a few months. What do anyone reckon?

Shall I applied for the state sponsorship now? If I do so, it may take me 6 weeks to get the result. If I change my application from Visa 175 to Visa 176 after I het the positive result of state sponsorship, will the date I lodged my Visa 175 application still be valid? Is it complicated to change the application of Visa 175 to Visa 176 when I haven't even had a CO assigned yet? Is it worth to change it? By using the new point system, I will only have 115 points if without state sponsorship.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Sagar

The ONLY people who can tell you whether or not your visa is likely to be finalised any time soon are the people at the ASPC.

Nothing happened on 8th February that means that you have to do anything. Just sit tight till further information is known - which may not be before the end of April 2010.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill for ur reply...

I know that 8th feb changes will not affect me

Moreover i want to know that what about 3500 NON CSL SS cases....

Will they get visa this year...

What will happen to them ( as i am one of them)

What about those 475 NOn CSL SS (cat 5) applicant who has uploaded MEds and PCC (i.e not demanded by CO)......Will they all get visa..

Please do confirm form ASPC or Diac if possible.....

I am waiting for my visa from long time ,, I applied in 2008 Oct and meds and pcc uploaded on 11 NOv 2008 (( today is the last day to get expire my meds and PCC ...including three months extension...as i have come to know that there if 3 months extensions for meds and Pccs)....

Dear please show me the path....

My wait is sooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooooong ... i am waiting from long time...Even from then when State sponsored category was 2nd priority....in early 2009.

Gill your words matter toooooooo much for me .....:hug:

Suggest me what should i do....instead of waiting....

Thanks

With luv and lots of wishes to you :hug: and all the forum members.

SAGAR.........

Guest CrossforGood

I personally think it should be more expedient for him to cap those international students hovering around accounting. I cannot understand how can those accounting students work straightaway from their study. Score 7 or professional year will give a guarantee? The former is more like self consoling for minister; the latter is just buying PR with continuing passion of investment. don't mean to offend anyone, but it is ridiculous!

Shall I applied for the state sponsorship now? If I do so, it may take me 6 weeks to get the result. If I change my application from Visa 175 to Visa 176 after I het the positive result of state sponsorship, will the date I lodged my Visa 175 application still be valid? Is it complicated to change the application of Visa 175 to Visa 176 when I haven't even had a CO assigned yet? Is it worth to change it? By using the new point system, I will only have 115 points if without state sponsorship.

Thanks for any advice.

[/font]

Hi....I can't offer any advise about your other questions....but I would say that I would very surprised if you get a SS response turnaround in 6 weeks.... depends where you are planning on applying to. It's just taken 28 weeks for us to get a response on our SS (for WA) and I believe QLD aren't much faster. There are some useful threads in the migration section here dedicated to SS.... have a look as it will give you an idea of turnaround times....

Guest Sebbers

'critically' demanded to "not skilled" in just a few months. What do anyone reckon?

Hi,

Well skills can be removed oh trade was on the csl when it was introduced in Dec 08 and removed in March 09 along with alot of other trade occupations so it is possible. Oh occupation was in category 2 initially and then downgraded to category 5 in just 3 months.

I also have a big question: are there among 20000 unlucky once those who have state sponsoship on hands? I want to know is the minister so brave that he igores states decision to take an applicant or did he cap only unsponsored people. It will set a patern for the future.

Here is the answer to my question taken from WA website:

Due to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's (DIAC) decision to cap and cease GSM applications lodged before 1 September 2007, the State Migration Centre will no longer process sponsorship for these applications. Please refer to the DIAC website for further information.

Looks like the minister is a real God here. I hope that there were just few such applicants. Nevertheless, He can do it. "think about" ©

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks Gill for ur reply...

I know that 8th feb changes will not affect me

Moreover i want to know that what about 3500 NON CSL SS cases....

Will they get visa this year...

What will happen to them ( as i am one of them)

What about those 475 NOn CSL SS (cat 5) applicant who has uploaded MEds and PCC (i.e not demanded by CO)......Will they all get visa..

Please do confirm form ASPC or Diac if possible.....

I am waiting for my visa from long time ,, I applied in 2008 Oct and meds and pcc uploaded on 11 NOv 2008 (( today is the last day to get expire my meds and PCC ...including three months extension...as i have come to know that there if 3 months extensions for meds and Pccs)....

Dear please show me the path....

My wait is sooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooooong ... i am waiting from long time...Even from then when State sponsored category was 2nd priority....in early 2009.

Gill your words matter toooooooo much for me .....:hug:

Suggest me what should i do....instead of waiting....

Thanks

With luv and lots of wishes to you :hug: and all the forum members.

SAGAR.........

Hi Sagar

I am well aware of the things you want to know. I would like to know them as well.

However DIAC won't tell me anything more than their own website reveals. Where the website is vague, DIAC's attitude is "tough - wait and see what happens, in that case."

I can't change their Departmental thinking, unfortunately.

Cheers

Gill

Here is the Senate Hearing Hansard for the session about Immigration 09/02/2010. I haven't read it through yet.

ParlInfo - Title Details

If you go this document http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/commttee/s-news.htmand read page 41/42 of Legal and constitutional affairs it sounds very positive for building trades such as BRICKLAYERS AND CARPENTERS.

YAY:jiggy:

It seems to me that the Minister decided a while ago to leave that 20,000 sitting, and has shaped the subsequent changes knowing that the 20,000 could then just fall off the system.

Seems clear to me that the bulk of the changes such as CSL and priority processing were knowingly and retrospectivly going to count against the 20,000 who were waiting.

It's obvious isnt it.. and what do you wanna bet he is going to use the proposed legislation to cap and cease trade occupations like hairdressing or cookery in the near future.. why else would he pretend to protect them with feb 8 changes when its obvious he wants to 'break the link between international students and permanent residency' - for trade occupations anyway

Archived