Back in the UK and feeling awful

Guest London Girl

Guest guest30085

Hi LondonGirl

I really hope you manage to sort things out - you have moved countries twice in only a couple of years or so, you are bound to be in a muddle. You will be better going to talk to someone, go and see your GP and get a referral so at least you have someone to talk to who wont feel like you are a burden - they are there to help.

Secondly, are you being chased for the debts? If they have not contacted you yet then I would suggest you leave it for the time being and deal with how you feel.

(Before anyone shouts me down, the debts will always be there and Im not at all suggesting that she ignores it or doesnt pay them back, but right now her priority is herself)

If you are being chased already then there are a couple of charities that will make payment arrangements for you (one is called Consumer Credit Counselling Service). Let the professionals deal with the debt problems for you. The last thing you need is being constantly pestered by call centre staff who are merely employed to constantly hassle people who owe money!

Best of luck and just try to deal with one day at a time :hug:

Hi LondonGirl

I really hope you manage to sort things out - you have moved countries twice in only a couple of years or so, you are bound to be in a muddle. You will be better going to talk to someone, go and see your GP and get a referral so at least you have someone to talk to who wont feel like you are a burden - they are there to help.

Secondly, are you being chased for the debts? If they have not contacted you yet then I would suggest you leave it for the time being and deal with how you feel.

(Before anyone shouts me down, the debts will always be there and Im not at all suggesting that she ignores it or doesnt pay them back, but right now her priority is herself)

If you are being chased already then there are a couple of charities that will make payment arrangements for you (one is called Consumer Credit Counselling Service). Let the professionals deal with the debt problems for you. The last thing you need is being constantly pestered by call centre staff who are merely employed to constantly hassle people who owe money!

Best of luck and just try to deal with one day at a time :hug:

Having been in Aust for 3 yrs the trail would of gone cold for the people looking for the money, but once you let the electoral roll know, you start applying for credit, getting bank accounts etc, your name will get flagged up by their computers........ so unless you live with someone and don't inform anyone they will come looking for you.

Once the bailiffs come to your door it's bye bye to your money and or furniture, getting something like this sorted is very important (not because she owes money) but for the stress involved in not answering the door, the phone and looking over your shoulder, it's all about taking back control, and this is why it's important.

Guest siamsusie
I have just got back to the UK and really feel terrible like i may of made the wrong decision and i stupidly left debts when I left so finding it hard to find a way to find somewhere to live

has anyone else felt this way i am at my wits end and cant stop crying thinking what a huge mistake i have made i really think i have screwed up I even rung the shipping company but it is too late the stuff has gone left sydney.

please can someone tell me what to do my family are not as supportive as I hoped and feel so alone in the cold.

spent three years in australia and hated it in the end and now i hate england what is wrong with me.

thanks anyone for your support or advice.

Hi London Girl... I think Geoff has given you excellent advice. Your first priority are the Police. Having this hang over your head is causing you insurmountable mental grief. If you are finding this impossible, maybe get a family friend or relative to assist you on making the call. When you say you "touched" a policeman, this could be due to the new laws they have instigated in as much as they are protecting public servants against public mis handling...and as long as you didnt thrash the guy I would imagine seeking professional help you should be able to get a medical certificate and submit this to the Australian police as part of your mitigation. I find Australians are pretty easy to handle as long as you are upfront with them.

Regarding your debt.... I have had reason to take various people to the Cit. Advice Bureau on a few occasions in Scotland. They have managed the debts for them in as much they have written to all and sundry and kept a close eye on the situation for them. Bailiffs and Debt collectors have to follow strict guide lines, and the the CAB will help you prioritise. It's just a question of taking the bull by the horns and making the first step is always the hardest.

You will get there but taking small steps at a time..... police first, the rest later:hug: love Susie

Hi Lg

Seems you are in a bit of bother, but don't worry all is not lost......

The first thing you need to do is stop running away it never fixes anything, sticking your head in the sand just doesn't work.

2nd thing to do is call the police in Perth and find out what you need to do, is it a fine you need to pay or is there an arrest warrant out for you? If you're up front with people, the more people are likely to help you out, if not the police contact a solicitor and get some advice on what to do, something like this will not go away.

Next, contact the people you owe money too, ask them will they reduce the amount you owe, most will knock off the charges straight away with others they will also knock off some of the balance, if you can't afford to pay in full either set up a payment plan (don't let them bully you into something you can't pay) or apply to go bankrupt, waiting for a knock on the door is far to late.

Go and talk to someone, remember you have not failed, sometimes just talking to someone really does help, another good thing to do is go for a walk (may sound silly) but going for a walk helps you release the pressure.

As for where is right for you only you know?! But I bet it won't be New Zealand, if you move there, you will only feel more trapped, depressed and lonely.

I do promise you though, that once you make those calls, even though you maybe frightened, you will feel better. You need to take control back of your own life, once you have done that, nothing with bother you :wubclub::hug:

Geoff's right LG - the last thing any company will want to do is to spend money pursuing you through the courts because it's really expensive to do that. If there's still a chance you could sort it out with them direct, they are usually willing to come to a compromise with you. I have been a debt counsellor for years and as I mentioned in my first reply to you, the best thing to do is to talk to a professional organisation who have your interest at heart like the CAB or CCCS.

Don't pay for debt advice, there are "debt management" companies out there who will charge you handsomely for the same advice the CCCS/National Debtline/CAB guys will give you for free. Any money you do have is better spent getting yourself back on track.

However, getting yourself sorted out is the priority at the moment, please look after yourself first and you will then be in a position of strength to deal with all the other issues facing you.

:hug:

Sue x

You could bide your time with the Dep't companys they have bigger eggs to fry at the moment and may have written your dep't off, as every Girl and her cat are in deb't at the moment.

But I suppose this depends on how much you owe. I will say thoe LG I'm no expert.

Sort your head out first.

What part of London are you London Girl?

JohnX

Guest London Girl

Hi everyone thanks for your replies.

I am in South London but moving from house to house at the moment nowhwere to settle which is not helping at all I am finding this all too much. I know that a lot of you dont agree but i am 50/50 with going to new zealnd at the moment as I have very little or no support here and I have found out I was convicted in my absence from court.

Hi everyone thanks for your replies.

I am in South London but moving from house to house at the moment nowhwere to settle which is not helping at all I am finding this all too much. I know that a lot of you dont agree but i am 50/50 with going to new zealnd at the moment as I have very little or no support here and I have found out I was convicted in my absence from court.

Hi LG

What support do you have in NZ? If ever you need to chat, send me a PM with your number or I can give you mine, sometimes talking to a stranger helps.

I don't think people disagree with your plans on moving to NZ, sometimes a change helps but, it's going there for the right reasons (the right reasons for you)

As for being convicted what does that mean? Jail time, fine, suspended sentence, community service? Maybe give Australia another try, but a different state somewhere like Melbourne or Sydney that may fit your needs better. :wubclub:

Sweetie, you cant run away from yourself and moving to NZ is not going to solve any of your problems. You need to stop, sort yourself out and get on an even keel, sort out all of the consequences you have incurred thus far and then, when you have it all sorted, then maybe think of trying NZ.

Sweetie, you cant run away from yourself and moving to NZ is not going to solve any of your problems. You need to stop, sort yourself out and get on an even keel, sort out all of the consequences you have incurred thus far and then, when you have it all sorted, then maybe think of trying NZ.

I agree. I think it's time to face the problems and deal with them head on otherwise you'll spend your entire life running away. And really is NZ actually going to be the answer you want????? Some how I doubt it. Keep smiling hun, it'll all come right in the end! :jiggy:

Guest Richard and carole

HI LG, I think you need to talk to someone who is not family, non judgemntal, and someone who is experienced. Do speak to someone before your next move anywhere and try not to think of the worse. Maybe a Dr might help or citizens advise, just a thought as they are private. No matter what we write you will do whatever your running from as nothing is clear, but try and stop for a moment and clear your head. You sound like you have been delt a dirty card so to speak. xx

Guest Josephinus

If your already in debt do you really want to get yourself in more by running to NZ?

1. Go to the homless persons unit and your council, tell them your situation ie you are homeless and in theory you should be placed in a hostel within a few days.

2. Go to the job centre ASAP and start to claim JSA and actually start looking for work.

Once you get a job you will have to start paying the hostel or move out and get your own flat.

You should know all this coming from South London.

I know its not easy, but you really need to get your headdown and focus now rather than running from place to place. Just stay here now and put the pieces back together. It will be depressing, this weather certainly does not help, but you will get there.

All the best,

Jo x

Guest London Girl

Does anyone know if the police can freeze your bank account in Australia I am very worried as the little I have left is still there and I am not sure if they can access the account or find the account, I know I am asking a lot but the charge is not money related or fraud or anything but I am not sure if they would go that far just scared about everything right now.

I really do appreciate all your advice it is such a life saver having people like you that can give honest advice.

Thank you

Deep breath, look at each issue one at a time and work to overcome it, simpler when you break the probs down and dont seem nearly so bad. your bank acc in oz cannot be touched by anyone in the uk. first thing look for a place to live to get settled and have an address for letters etc. the court conviction can prob wait a little longer before being sorted.

Guest London Girl

thanks, I meant the police in australia can they touch the bank account for failure to turn up at court they may of fined me I dont know

Guest London Girl

I phoned the police and told them that I had left and they wanted my address and I put the phone down I guess I was trying to say to them leave me alone but I know they wont I am sorry am so miserable it is just everything is overwhelming me right now I am having nightmares and waking up to the same one I am pretty down and am going to see a doctor a bit later for help

Guest siamsusie
Does anyone know if the police can freeze your bank account in Australia I am very worried as the little I have left is still there and I am not sure if they can access the account or find the account, I know I am asking a lot but the charge is not money related or fraud or anything but I am not sure if they would go that far just scared about everything right now.

I really do appreciate all your advice it is such a life saver having people like you that can give honest advice.

Thank you

LG I lived and worked in south London so I know the area well. May I suggest you register quickly with a GP even as a temporary patient which should be easy and ask to be referred to a physiatric councillor. You first and foremost need to be signed off to claim sickness benefit and along with that should come other benefits. I do realise that accomodation in SL is not easy but I am hoping that you be allocated an emergency case officer at say Lambeth or Wandsworth Borough Council.

There are all sorts of organisations South London YMCA - Housing the Homeless. that work in conjunction with the various councils and they can react pretty quickly.

Regarding the police for minor officers that would be quite extreme to freeze bank accounts and if you have your debit card handy then access should be available to you.

In the cold light of day you are probably far better off in London where the system is familiar and more available to you. You havent mentioned family involvement which is such a pity because thats what we parents are for come hell or high water:hug:

You have been given some good advice about returning to these shores or New Zealand, to be frank this should be the furthest from your mind right now. You have to allow your friends some insight to your problems before help can be given and to be honest you are skipping from pillar to post without achieving anything, so why not register today with your GP and let us know how you fare.:hug: Susie

Guest London Girl

hi thank susie,

I am going to the doctors today i rung and made an appointment, I know I am not well at all and thanks for your advice I appreciate it. Too much happened in australia that led me to this and I know a lot of it was my fault but I dont think I should have to keep suffering i have paid a big enough price already

Guest London Girl

I have a brother and neice here but unfortunately I dont have parents any more which is why I have not mentioned family involvement I am staying at brothers but he has no room and i have to find somewhere tonight maybe neice trying to sort it out

Guest siamsusie
hi thank susie,

I am going to the doctors today i rung and made an appointment, I know I am not well at all and thanks for your advice I appreciate it. Too much happened in australia that led me to this and I know a lot of it was my fault but I dont think I should have to keep suffering i have paid a big enough price already

You have London Girl, you have been through the mill, coupled with jet lag, lack of accomodation and I would be feeling emotionally exhausted as well. Once you have been to the GP, you have set the ball in motion, you will hopefully see certain aspects falling into place. You probably need a small amount of medication to get back onto an even keel and then your "rational mind" should start to kick in but be honest and frank with the GP, because on that basis he/she will be able to help you.

Very very best wishes Susie :hug:

seeoing the doc a good idea, try not to dodge any isues, i had a car accident in aus but returned just after, i had an e-mail from the police syaing i would be fined as i never reorted as i should have done. I rang them from the uk, sorted it out told them the accident was my fault etc etc. they e-mailed me to say no probs all is settled and done with. call them be honest and try and sorted. it will be another issue dealt with and another step forward. things always seem worse when you dwell on them. Oh, i also left debts in aus ( without knowing, son had my card). ignored them for a while and the calls, in the end sorted them and paid them off £3k. felt so much better for doing it even tho i knew they couldnt force me to pay. as it is i got myself up together and we are returning to oz 3 yrs later. checked my credit history in oz and no record of any debt as i kept in contact with the company. what i say is dont ignore the issues, take em head on, never seems so bad. :). take it steady all will be fine

Guest London Girl

hi everyone, thanks for your words of support. Went to doctors and he said suffering from severe depression given me tablets but wont work for a few weeks. I wont have internet access for a while as have to go somewhere where there is no internet but will keep you updated.

thank you everyone again, I really appreciate your words of support it means a lot to me more than you know.

Guest siamsusie
hi everyone, thanks for your words of support. Went to doctors and he said suffering from severe depression given me tablets but wont work for a few weeks. I wont have internet access for a while as have to go somewhere where there is no internet but will keep you updated.

thank you everyone again, I really appreciate your words of support it means a lot to me more than you know.

You can only go upwards now London girl, take good care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress, delighted your gp was helpful:hug: Susie x

Archived