Guest guest36187

Apologies for delay in replying - been busy packing! We are going to Torquay at the start of the Great Ocean Road, where our family are. It is terrible when you are here in the UK and get that awful phone call to tell you your grandchild is ill. We got the call on a Wednesday and by Saturday we were flying to Melbourne, we stayed a month while they stabilised Scarlett, but had only been back here for one and half weeks when our daughter phoned to say that heart transplant was "inevitable". We took about three weeks to get our affairs sorted out at this end for an indefinite stay in Australia and went back. We had been there nearly four weeks when a heart became available. She is now two and half, has a baby brother, has been the "face" of the Good Friday Appeal 2011 for the Royal Children's hospital, and is a very cheeky monkey! Apart from a string of nasty colds and viral infections just lately (it is winter after all!) she is doing extremely well and recently passed her first renal scan with flying colours. Her prognosis is very good but as with all transplantees, even a relatively minor infection has the potential to become dangerous so life for our daughter and her partner is always worrying.

I have heard of Rosebud but not Highett - note to self, must improve geography of new home state! Was your grandaughter treated at RCH? It is one of the leading hospitals in the world for children's medicine and we have always found the staff there to be absolutely fantastic. Scarlett spent a lot of time in Intensive Care and you never forget how helpless you feel watching them being so poorly. But even as ill as Scarlett was, there were other children who were even worse and you learn to be grateful for every small step forwards. I am so glad to hear Daisy made a full recovery.

Our daughter has made Scarlett a countdown chart with stickers for each day until we arrive - only 15 days to go. Off to do some more sorting out.

Best wishes Gill

Scary stuff Gill, life is a real lottery sometimes isn't it? One of our friends was until recently a nurse at RCH involved with surgery, a high stress environment if ever there was one, but a well-regarded hospital.

Best wishes

Steve

When you were lamenting the thought of long haul flying, I meant to recommend some Aussie over- the -counter sleeping tablets that I have found really good-i.e. you go to sleep and don't feel rough when you wake up. They are called Restavit-and its made a big difference to how I feel after a long flight!

When you were lamenting the thought of long haul flying, I meant to recommend some Aussie over- the -counter sleeping tablets that I have found really good-i.e. you go to sleep and don't feel rough when you wake up. They are called Restavit-and its made a big difference to how I feel after a long flight!

I'll bear that in mind for the next trip. However I'm one of those strange people that look forward to the in-flight food! I might miss out if I sleep most of the journey! lol Angie

used a similar tactic some years ago and woke up in Hongkong with a DVT and not able to walk spent most of holiday in a Brisbane hospital so beware?

cheers mike.

Not heard of that one. I'll give it a try when I'm next on the ground over there (perhaps with half an aspirin!)

My doc recently prescribed beta-blockers (a single one to cover 24 hours). Tried one under controlled conditions, and went to Tesco, the ultimate test for anxiety. It slowed me up a bit, but equally I was not bothered by anything that Tesco could throw at me. Only useful for a short period otherwise you come to rely on them apparently!

I'm not sure what's best really. Sleeping through the long hours has got to be the goal, somehow. Having said that, my most recent experience with airline catering has been surprisingly good - would not have wanted to miss out.

I'll bear that in mind for the next trip. However I'm one of those strange people that look forward to the in-flight food! I might miss out if I sleep most of the journey! lol Angie

Not another one :wink:- I've paid my money and I'm going to get every penny's worth - meals, snacks, drinks, films........... The food on SIA on all our trips has actually been worth staying awake for.

used a similar tactic some years ago and woke up in Hongkong with a DVT and not able to walk spent most of holiday in a Brisbane hospital so beware?

cheers mike.

I tend to stay awake for at least 36 hours and walk up and down and do stretching excercises at the back of the plane whenever possible. Clive had a DVT a few years ago so I'm a bit paranoid about sitting in one place for long periods - usually too excited to sleep anyway!

Folks, remember that the "charges" are actually built into the rate you get with HiFX. The best way to see the effect of this is to start an online transaction with HiFX for £250, write down the rate, then abort the transaction. Then do the same for £3,000. There will be a distinct difference. This is because they do need to charge for the service, but the fixed amount is absorbed into the rate. For smaller amounts it has a disproportionate effect. It is a little disingenuous of HiFX to claim there are no charges, but I understand why the rates work this way and I still use them because I can obtain and commit to an immediate rate - I do avoid transferring small amounts through any provider though if I can avoid it.

I'd quote you an example, but the service is offline until tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

Hadn't thought about it the way you describe above - will be really interested to see the outcome of your example. We have always transferred fairly largish sums so perhaps have not felt the impact of small transfers. interesting stuff. Thanks Steve

~Gill

Hi there

I am about to apply for a CPV 173. I read in an earlier post about applying on shore, I take it this means while in Oz. If I went out on a tourist visa could I then apply from Oz, does anybody know what would happen when the tourist visa ran out?

Thank you for all the information that is posted, still wading my way through it

Moira

Just had a thought...we only fill in one form 80 for both of us don't we?

Had our medicals last week but have to have blood tests so will not get the paperwork done in the 28 days. emailed Perth but still waiting for a reply.

Just had a thought...we only fill in one form 80 for both of us don't we?

Had our medicals last week but have to have blood tests so will not get the paperwork done in the 28 days. emailed Perth but still waiting for a reply.

G'Day

No – as I understand it, you have to do a Form 80 for each of you, since it asks for details of parents, partner, siblings, etc. (We managed to fill in the "e" version on screen and print out page by page, as quite a lot of it was the same for both – eg, details of visits to Oz and other travels.) And you need separate Police Certificates.

(As it happens, we have just completed ours, and will put in the post tomorrow.)

Good luck, Mike

Hi there

I am about to apply for a CPV 173. I read in an earlier post about applying on shore, I take it this means while in Oz. If I went out on a tourist visa could I then apply from Oz, does anybody know what would happen when the tourist visa ran out?

Thank you for all the information that is posted, still wading my way through it

Moira

When you say tourist visa, do you intend to apply for the long term 676 visa. You need to make sure that it doesn't have a 'No Further Stay' condition on it. If it does you will not be able to apply for the 173 while in Australia.

If you are able to apply whilst in Australia, unfortunately there is no bridging visa and you would need to leave Australia when the tourist visa ran out. You might be able to renew your tourist visa by going offshore and applying again for a torusit visa. Just depends on the processing times for the 173, which have come down recently, but it's not guaranteed. You will need to be offshore when the visa is granted, however. Better to apply offshore and then maybe travel to Australia on a visitor visa nearer the time it is about to be processed. You will still need to go offshore so the visa can be granted.

If you are over 65 you can apply for the Aged Contributory Parent Visa. I believe you are then allowed to stay in Australia till it is granted.

Our son has just had his interview and was told that it would cost in excess of $100 to open a bank account ( admin fees ) to put the $14000 for our bond.

G'Day

No – as I understand it, you have to do a Form 80 for each of you, since it asks for details of parents, partner, siblings, etc. (We managed to fill in the "e" version on screen and print out page by page, as quite a lot of it was the same for both – eg, details of visits to Oz and other travels.) And you need separate Police Certificates.

(As it happens, we have just completed ours, and will put in the post tomorrow.)

Good luck, Mike

Didn't realise we will also have to complete this form eventually. I assume it is just before you leave for Australia. I had quick look at the questions and will struggle with 'countries visited outside Australia in the last 10 years'. We have been on quite a few holidays within the EU for no more than 2 weeks at a time but as for dates? Beyond the last two years I would definitely have to make a guess. Angie

Didn't realise we will also have to complete this form eventually. I assume it is just before you leave for Australia. I had quick look at the questions and will struggle with 'countries visited outside Australia in the last 10 years'. We have been on quite a few holidays within the EU for no more than 2 weeks at a time but as for dates? Beyond the last two years I would definitely have to make a guess. Angie

Yes, having no passport stamps doesn't make it easy. We had to put in a few "estimates" with the help of photo albums!

But it's part of the package you have to send in with Police Certificates and meds.

Mike

Expect lots of you have small grandchildren ...hope this tip is of use...when its getting close to us visiting our grandchildren..say about two weeks away...my daughter puts a smartie in a jar for each day until we arrive...so each day my grandchildren get to eat a smartie...the jar goes down and they can see how close its getting to us getting there...it helps little ones to understand time...

Val x

Yes, having no passport stamps doesn't make it easy. We had to put in a few "estimates" with the help of photo albums!

But it's part of the package you have to send in with Police Certificates and meds.

Mike

We had the same issue but just put down in our forms, "numerous trips within the EU - no passport stamp required" and this was acceptable.Gill

Our son has just had his interview and was told that it would cost in excess of $100 to open a bank account ( admin fees ) to put the $14000 for our bond.

Sadly that's true-I think it was $150 when my s-in-l did it for me in December. One thing I learnt on this site however-they do pay interest and if you happen to have an Oz bank account yourself already, you can ask for the interest to be paid into that-I believe they pay interest twice yearly....

Today we have got a .....CO ..... We have also got the all clear with our medicals...I have to have an extra tet for TB once in OZ but that does not affect our visa application...our police checks should be back any day now...Im so excited...soon Im gonna be a proper gma...

We've got both HIFX and also UKForex/OzForex accounts, and generally we prefer to use UKForex/OzForex because:

(a) the rate seems to be slightly better even allowing for the £7 charge and

(b) HIFX close outside UK business hours which is really annoying because it means you can't do an online transaction until the Australian evening.

HIFX do allow the use of debit cards to pay, which is useful. UKForex/OzForex require an online bank transfer, but this is fine and easy to use as well.

One good thing is that I have noticed that the money is coming through a lot quicker than it used to. Sometimes it is credited to the Australian bank the very next day.

I agree it is best to accumulate the money in pounds in a UK bank and transfer it using one of the money exchange agencies (like HIFX and UKForex/OzForex) when you are ready. It is much cheaper and you can transfer it when the exchange rate suits you.

Today we have got a .....CO ..... We have also got the all clear with our medicals...I have to have an extra tet for TB once in OZ but that does not affect our visa application...our police checks should be back any day now...Im so excited...soon Im gonna be a proper gma...

Congratulations, wont be long now.

Good luck with the move.

Wilma

[quote=

(b) HIFX close outside UK business hours which is really annoying because it means you can't do an online transaction until the Australian evening.

QUOTE]

Hi

I have HIFX accounts in the UK and Aus which means that I have an extended trading period.

Charlie

[quote=

QUOTE]

Hi

I have HIFX accounts in the UK and Aus which means that I have an extended trading period.

Charlie

HiFX UK has recommended we do the same when we get to Australia and have already provided me with a contact in Oz via Email. Gill