Guest guest36187

Yes, hopefully those not too far behind in the queue can now think about getting the cash together to pay the big 2nd VAC. Luckily we were hoping for a CO in March going from the date of our original 103 application and the current form with timelines. Just like to say a big thank as well to everyone for posting their timelines and especially Sandch for the tracker. It does certainly help with planning if you know roughly when to expect a CO.

Yes, hopefully those not too far behind in the queue can now think about getting the cash together to pay the big 2nd VAC. Luckily we were hoping for a CO in March going from the date of our original 103 application and the current form with timelines. Just like to say a big thank as well to everyone for posting their timelines and especially Sandch for the tracker. It does certainly help with planning if you know roughly when to expect a CO.

Congratulations but don,t seem to be able to find you on the tracker.

cheers mike.

Congratulations but don,t seem to be able to find you on the tracker.

cheers mike.

We are on the tracker as DavandLinda. It actually looks like we have jumped the queue as the date on there is the acknowledgement date for our 173 application. We originally applied for the 103 in March, but then thought better of it and switched to the 173 in July.

Did any of you ladies need to be tested for Hep B? My OH booked medicals in Manchester today and was told ladies need to be tested for Hep B (at an extra cost of £27) but he didn't. Not sure why this is - he didn't ask of course.

Also, just note that Manchester is very busy at the moment for medicals and we were not able to get a booking till 29th March. This will be quite tight for the 28 days. As DIAC have greatly reduced the number of practices where medicals can be done you would think they would realise there is a bit of pressure on the ones which are left and give you a bit more time.

We are on the tracker as DavandLinda. It actually looks like we have jumped the queue as the date on there is the acknowledgement date for our 173 application. We originally applied for the 103 in March, but then thought better of it and switched to the 173 in July.

Did any of you ladies need to be tested for Hep B? My OH booked medicals in Manchester today and was told ladies need to be tested for Hep B (at an extra cost of £27) but he didn't. Not sure why this is - he didn't ask of course.

Also, just note that Manchester is very busy at the moment for medicals and we were not able to get a booking till 29th March. This will be quite tight for the 28 days. As DIAC have greatly reduced the number of practices where medicals can be done you would think they would realise there is a bit of pressure on the ones which are left and give you a bit more time.

sorry couldnt find it because you have not updated it

I'm in a bit of a panic :frown: when we logged for the CPV143 and got the acknowledgement in September 2010 we did it on the basis that it would be around Feb/Mar 2012 which it was at the time.....Recently members are saying they have got a CO in 12 months :swoon: which potentialy means we could have a CO in 6 months !!

Our plan was to save as much as possible to pay towards the final payment (we had very little savings) so we only had to take the minimum from the house. We live in the NE and only have a moderate 3 bed semi to sell so not expecting a great deal. Like most of you here we need as much as possible to move with while looking for jobs etc :yes:

As I understand it once you have a CO you have 28 days to pay the final VAC, and they ask you to have meds and police checks done, so my question is do you have to pay the final VAC 28 day's from being assigned a CO or after you have had the meds etc done? :err: Also is there anyway to get an extension on the 28 days once you have been assigned the CO :goofy:

Sorry for all the questions but I really am starting to panic :arghh:

Phoebe

Guys - I've adjusted your ack date to week 1 of March 2010, as it makes for a more meaningful comparison. Good news about the CO!

Cheers

Steve

I'm in a bit of a panic :frown: when we logged for the CPV143 and got the acknowledgement in September 2010 we did it on the basis that it would be around Feb/Mar 2012 which it was at the time.....Recently members are saying they have got a CO in 12 months :swoon: which potentialy means we could have a CO in 6 months !!

Our plan was to save as much as possible to pay towards the final payment (we had very little savings) so we only had to take the minimum from the house. We live in the NE and only have a moderate 3 bed semi to sell so not expecting a great deal. Like most of you here we need as much as possible to move with while looking for jobs etc :yes:

As I understand it once you have a CO you have 28 days to pay the final VAC, and they ask you to have meds and police checks done, so my question is do you have to pay the final VAC 28 day's from being assigned a CO or after you have had the meds etc done? :err: Also is there anyway to get an extension on the 28 days once you have been assigned the CO :goofy:

Sorry for all the questions but I really am starting to panic :arghh:

Phoebe

Hello Phoebe

It might be best to work on current processing times, so that would be around 12 months. There's no reason to assume it will go any quicker, but keep an eye on progress. You normally have a month to sort out your meds etc, then there's often a delay because the COs don't check for results quickly anyway, then you get a request for the final VAC and 4 weeks to pay that. If all else fails, and you need an extension longer than the CO will give you, you can always (radical idea approaching) start again - the loss being the initial application fee and of course you may then get your visas later than planned.

But don't panic, as you haven't yet shelled out vast sums of dosh!

Best wishes

Steve

Hello Phoebe

It might be best to work on current processing times, so that would be around 12 months. There's no reason to assume it will go any quicker, but keep an eye on progress. You normally have a month to sort out your meds etc, then there's often a delay because the COs don't check for results quickly anyway, then you get a request for the final VAC and 4 weeks to pay that. If all else fails, and you need an extension longer than the CO will give you, you can always (radical idea approaching) start again - the loss being the initial application fee and of course you may then get your visas later than planned.

But don't panic, as you haven't yet shelled out vast sums of dosh!

Best wishes

Steve

Thanks for that Steve s it looks like possibly 14 months :cute:

I think I will feel better once we have been out there for 8 weeks in April (3rd grand baby due) but we are doing a rekki on housing jobs etc while we are there so hopefully things will look better :biggrin: maybe I'm panicing for nothing but the financial side is a worry :yes:

Just one more thing I forgot to ask does the AoS have to be paid at the same time as you get a CO??

Phoebe

Thanks for that Steve s it looks like possibly 14 months :cute:

I think I will feel better once we have been out there for 8 weeks in April (3rd grand baby due) but we are doing a rekki on housing jobs etc while we are there so hopefully things will look better :biggrin: maybe I'm panicing for nothing but the financial side is a worry :yes:

Just one more thing I forgot to ask does the AoS have to be paid at the same time as you get a CO??

Phoebe

That's more like it! However most of us share your concerns about the cost of the "adventure", so you are in good company. We simply can't ignore the realities of income needs.

You'll get a request for the AOS to be set up when you are contacted by your CO.

Cheers

Steve

That's more like it! However most of us share your concerns about the cost of the "adventure", so you are in good company. We simply can't ignore the realities of income needs.

You'll get a request for the AOS to be set up when you are contacted by your CO.

Cheers

Steve

Appreciate all your help :biggrin: maybe its the realisation thats starting to hit me........maybe everybody get these wobbles :jiggy:

Phoebe

Thank goodness for all you people who have already begun their adventure who are now giving us the benefit of their wisdom!

Just been on the phone to daughter in Oz and was telling her that people seem to be getting case officers quicker than we thought. It scares and excites me in equal measures!

My agent seems to have done a bunk and closed her office! Nice of her to let us know (she didnt). I have complained to MARA as that is where I found her details so we shall have to see what they say.

Not relishing putting our house on the market just yet - there are three for sale on this avenue and not one has had an offer! Might have to see about renting it out till things pick up.

Would it be possible for me to remain in Oz and the husband come back to the UK if he can pick up any work back here once we have our visa? He works away from home for 4-6 months at a time anyway so he`s used to being in a B&B. We noticed on our recent trip that there isnt much work about so it would be good to have some money coming in.

I have had loads of questions that I wanted to ask the agent so I am really grateful to those who share their knowledge with us

Cheers all, Val

Thank goodness for all you people who have already begun their adventure who are now giving us the benefit of their wisdom!

Just been on the phone to daughter in Oz and was telling her that people seem to be getting case officers quicker than we thought. It scares and excites me in equal measures!

My agent seems to have done a bunk and closed her office! Nice of her to let us know (she didnt). I have complained to MARA as that is where I found her details so we shall have to see what they say.

Not relishing putting our house on the market just yet - there are three for sale on this avenue and not one has had an offer! Might have to see about renting it out till things pick up.

Would it be possible for me to remain in Oz and the husband come back to the UK if he can pick up any work back here once we have our visa? He works away from home for 4-6 months at a time anyway so he`s used to being in a B&B. We noticed on our recent trip that there isnt much work about so it would be good to have some money coming in.

I have had loads of questions that I wanted to ask the agent so I am really grateful to those who share their knowledge with us

Cheers all, Val

Once you have your PR visas you can come and go as you please, so working back in the UK would be OK. There are a few things to think about (not obstacles so much as being aware of them), and a couple are: (a) tax; uk sourced income will be taxed in the UK and if you are also a tax resident of Oz, it will be assessed there too - but it won't be double-taxed, and (b) the need to make sure you qualify for a returning resident visa when your cpv expires, which will be 5 years after it is granted. Generally this requires you to have spent at least 2 years resident in Australia, so if you work overseas a lot it's one to watch - however if you're well established in Australia, I can't imagine it would be an issue.

Thanks to technology, I still work remotely for a UK company and will do for some time, with currently no income sourced in Australia, but I'm resident here. My tax returns are going to be fun!

Cheers

Steve

Once you have your PR visas you can come and go as you please, so working back in the UK would be OK. There are a few things to think about (not obstacles so much as being aware of them), and a couple are: (a) tax; uk sourced income will be taxed in the UK and if you are also a tax resident of Oz, it will be assessed there too - but it won't be double-taxed, and (b) the need to make sure you qualify for a returning resident visa when your cpv expires, which will be 5 years after it is granted. Generally this requires you to have spent at least 2 years resident in Australia, so if you work overseas a lot it's one to watch - however if you're well established in Australia, I can't imagine it would be an issue.

Thanks to technology, I still work remotely for a UK company and will do for some time, with currently no income sourced in Australia, but I'm resident here. My tax returns are going to be fun!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Your reply to Phoebe struck a chord. If things are going a bit too fast, maybe letting this application go and doing another later makes sense so I will certainly discuss that idea with the OH! We asked DIAC about switching from temp 173 to perm 143 a few weeks ago and they said we would have to submit a new application. Which ever way we do it - they win another £1k or so!

My OH is self employed here and is really busy now (wasnt when we did the application) so we know that tax has to be paid somewhere along the line. I think we`ll have to let the accountant sort it out!

Oh the things we do to be with our kids!

Cheers for all your help Steve,

Regards, Val

Appreciate all your help :biggrin: maybe its the realisation thats starting to hit me........maybe everybody get these wobbles :jiggy:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

Yes, I think we are in the same boat with the wobbles. I didn't get much sleep last night. It's a lovely idea what we are doing and takes a lot of courage I think. It seems wonderful and something to look forward to when it's over a year away and you think you have lots of time to get sorted. Now it's almost here the reality kicks in.

For me the worst thing is leaving my son behind. He came over last night and we talked everything through to make sure he is OK with being left here, but it's still a bit heart wrenching for me. So my excitement is also tinged with a little sadness.

Having said that we have had our house on the market since October and no luck as yet, so we will probably need to rent it out. This means we will need to come back to sell eventually in the next two years, so it's nto goodby for ever.

Just a thought re your situation. Have you considered switching to the 173? You would need to complete the forms again, but wouldn't lose your place in the queue. This would mean you could have a temporary visa for two years and you can be either in the UK or OZ and would allow you to travel to Oz whenever you were ready, once you have validated your visa. You only need to pay just over half the 2nd VAC charge and no AOS. It would give you more breathing space, but you would still almost hve your visa. The switch from 173 to 143 takes 4-6 months I believe.

Hi Steve,

Your reply to Phoebe struck a chord. If things are going a bit too fast, maybe letting this application go and doing another later makes sense so I will certainly discuss that idea with the OH! We asked DIAC about switching from temp 173 to perm 143 a few weeks ago and they said we would have to submit a new application. Which ever way we do it - they win another £1k or so!

My OH is self employed here and is really busy now (wasnt when we did the application) so we know that tax has to be paid somewhere along the line. I think we`ll have to let the accountant sort it out!

Oh the things we do to be with our kids!

Cheers for all your help Steve,

Regards, Val

Hi Val

I am in a similar situation on a 173 and with the exchange rate wondering on best course of action. Do we abandon and do 143 in about 5 years ( when I am 65), change to a 143 now, or just stay as we are. Bear in mind that, I beleive, if you change you will pay the visa charges current at the date of application even though you may retain you place "in the queue". Prices have had quite a hike of late. I am going to e mail immi nearer the time I am expecting my CO. My problem is that all monies in UK so its the exchange rate that is key.

If anyone has any thoughts much appreciated. Currently the numbers I crunched, with best guesses on the exchange rate, lead me to staying as is.

Hi Phoebe

Yes, I think we are in the same boat with the wobbles. I didn't get much sleep last night. It's a lovely idea what we are doing and takes a lot of courage I think. It seems wonderful and something to look forward to when it's over a year away and you think you have lots of time to get sorted. Now it's almost here the reality kicks in.

For me the worst thing is leaving my son behind. He came over last night and we talked everything through to make sure he is OK with being left here, but it's still a bit heart wrenching for me. So my excitement is also tinged with a little sadness.

Having said that we have had our house on the market since October and no luck as yet, so we will probably need to rent it out. This means we will need to come back to sell eventually in the next two years, so it's nto goodby for ever.

Just a thought re your situation. Have you considered switching to the 173? You would need to complete the forms again, but wouldn't lose your place in the queue. This would mean you could have a temporary visa for two years and you can be either in the UK or OZ and would allow you to travel to Oz whenever you were ready, once you have validated your visa. You only need to pay just over half the 2nd VAC charge and no AOS. It would give you more breathing space, but you would still almost hve your visa. The switch from 173 to 143 takes 4-6 months I believe.

Hi

I too have a son still in the UK he was married in November last year. He seems ok with everything but it's me and his dad that are not :wideeyed:

We looked really hard at the 173 versus 143 initially, I was determined 173 to 143 would be the best way to go but when we went into everything we felt the 143 was the better option :cute: I think it's just the 12 months CO thing that has shaken me.

I was talking to my daughter in Oz this morning and telling her the time seems to have come down dramatically, she said its possibly because the skilled visas have been put on hold till 2012 because of the global financial crisis so the CO's need something to do :chatterbox: if that is the case maybe they have started to 'fasttrack' the parents because of the amount we are paying into their economy..........anyone else got any ideas on this :huh:

Phoebe

Hi Pete & Marg,

Its always a worry knowing what to do for the best. We thought that if we switched now to a perm 143 then at least we would have permanent residency from the get go rather than faffing once we are there. All our funds are in place in readiness, its just a matter of liquidating our remaining asset (the house) without giving it away for a song.

I`m annoyed our agent pointed us in the direction of the 173 but I suppose if we made a new application then we would only have to pay the 1st VAC again. Plus, as long as we did all this before July when they put the prices up, we would only be around a grand out of pocket.

My head is spinning with it all so I might just take myself off to ASDA and get some 3 for a tenner wines and get sloshed!

Cheers! Val

Hi Pete & Marg,

Its always a worry knowing what to do for the best. We thought that if we switched now to a perm 143 then at least we would have permanent residency from the get go rather than faffing once we are there. All our funds are in place in readiness, its just a matter of liquidating our remaining asset (the house) without giving it away for a song.

I`m annoyed our agent pointed us in the direction of the 173 but I suppose if we made a new application then we would only have to pay the 1st VAC again. Plus, as long as we did all this before July when they put the prices up, we would only be around a grand out of pocket.

My head is spinning with it all so I might just take myself off to ASDA and get some 3 for a tenner wines and get sloshed!

Cheers! Val

I was convinced the 173 first was the way to go, then we found the problem with getting 173 first is that PR wouldnt begin until 143 was granted so potentially adding up to 2 years on before we would be eligable for any help with medications etc :chatterbox: and also as pension cannot be claimed for 10 years from PR being granted (means tested though it is in Oz) the same time would apply so we opted for the 143 as being finacially better for us in the long term :goofy: but it's just the worry of getting the finances together :arghh:

Phoebe

Hi

I too have a son still in the UK he was married in November last year. He seems ok with everything but it's me and his dad that are not :wideeyed:

We looked really hard at the 173 versus 143 initially, I was determined 173 to 143 would be the best way to go but when we went into everything we felt the 143 was the better option :cute: I think it's just the 12 months CO thing that has shaken me.

I was talking to my daughter in Oz this morning and telling her the time seems to have come down dramatically, she said its possibly because the skilled visas have been put on hold till 2012 because of the global financial crisis so the CO's need something to do :chatterbox: if that is the case maybe they have started to 'fasttrack' the parents because of the amount we are paying into their economy..........anyone else got any ideas on this :huh:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, I think we have likeminded daughters!! Thats exactly what mine said last night about the CO`s having nothing to do and the coffers being empty due to the floods etc!

Well, they say that CPV`s are the "cash cow" visas!

Do you think we will be able to have a laugh at all this in a few years time?

Try to stay chilled! Val

Hi Phoebe, I think we have likeminded daughters!! Thats exactly what mine said last night about the CO`s having nothing to do and the coffers being empty due to the floods etc!

Well, they say that CPV`s are the "cash cow" visas!

Do you think we will be able to have a laugh at all this in a few years time?

Try to stay chilled! Val

God I hope so :biglaugh:

Phoebe

Guest Cakey

Hi, I've been reading your posts and agreeing with everything. I am expecting to hear from a CO any day now, much earlier than I expected! getting really scary........after waiting a year everything seems about to kick off. We need to sell our house. but want to know if we will pass our Medicais first. Do we have to wait for the CO to tell us to go for them or can we just book and go ourselves.

Cheers Cakey

Hi, I've been reading your posts and agreeing with everything. I am expecting to hear from a CO any day now, much earlier than I expected! getting really scary........after waiting a year everything seems about to kick off. We need to sell our house. but want to know if we will pass our Medicais first. Do we have to wait for the CO to tell us to go for them or can we just book and go ourselves.

Cheers Cakey

Well, from what I understand from previous posters, meds/police checks are valid for a year after issue so it all depends on when you intend to validate. On the other hand, people are saying that appointments are taking a while. Might be an idea to ring the medical centre you intend to use and ask them what they advise.

I started at a slimming club last week as I think my weight may be mentioned so that wont be an issue if I stick with it!

Good luck, Val

Cheers Cakey

Hi Cakey

As far as I can make out from previous posts you don't have to wait until you get a CO, you can get your meds done anytime but you have to be aware that they are only valid for 12 months and you have to validate your visa in that time also.

I think I will wait for the CO to be assigned because if they can jump ahead like they have recently, they can just as easily jump back again :twitcy:

Phoebe

Guest sirmatt101
Hi Cakey

As far as I can make out from previous posts you don't have to wait until you get a CO, you can get your meds done anytime but you have to be aware that they are only valid for 12 months and you have to validate your visa in that time also.

I think I will wait for the CO to be assigned because if they can jump ahead like they have recently, they can just as easily jump back again :twitcy:

Phoebe

We had our medicals & police clearances done before getting a CO, saves time, especially now there are less medical panels to chose from and the wait can be in excess of the 28 days given to get all these things back to the CO!

Cheers

Matt