Guest guest36187

Thank you Phyllis for your wonderful message of encouragement. I am very close to getting a case officer and keep getting panic attacks when I think of the huge amount of money I will need to have very soon. Half of me knows I am doing the right thing but it's the little doubts that creep up in the middle of the night and eat away at me. Your message cheered me up just when I needed it.......I know you will have a great life in Australia

Cheers Cakey

Guest sirmatt101

Hi all, just moved into a rented house in Springfield Lakes yesterday! Container arrived at 07.30 this morning, great to see all our stuff that has been in storage for 4 yrs now, loads & loads of boxes, looks like a mountain. Its this bit that makes you feel that you are here permanently! Have now got my Oz forklift licence & interview number 4 next week. Its actually a 2nd interview for a job so fingers crossed.

So you see, this is whats at the end of that long long wait, but its all worth it in the end!

All the best to all those still waiting and those that are having 2nd thoughts.

Matt

Guest passingtime

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Have received email informing C.O. been granted today . Just under 12months from acknowledgement. Now busy form filling aagain etc.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Have received email informing C.O. been granted today . Just under 12months from acknowledgment. Now busy form filling again etc.

Congratulations!

Wow-the time is really coming down between acknowledgment and CO

Congratulation the time line is getting scary.

Does anyone here know how long one has got to validate a mgrant bank account once opened

,looking at Westpac and Commonwealth and they state 90days is this the soonest an account can be opened before going to OZ ??.

Cheers.

Mike.

Does anyone here know how long one has got to validate a mgrant bank account once opened

,looking at Westpac and Commonwealth and they state 90days is this the soonest an account can be opened before going to OZ ??.

Cheers.

Mike.

Not sure that I understand your question. We opened a NAB account over a year before we became residents. It was very useful for sending money over before final visa payments were due.

Charlie

Cheers.

Mike.

I just opened an account when i was visiting the kids and it seemed to be live straight away. Its a CBA account: Smartaccess plus Netsaver.....

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Have received email informing C.O. been granted today . Just under 12months from acknowledgement. Now busy form filling aagain etc.

What form filling did you not do originally?

We lodged application in January 2011,are heading back to UK end of May 2011 so will ask for police checks thenin UK but on this timescale may get Medicals done in OZ,before leaving-cheaper and more convenient for us !Understand medicals valid for a year so should be OK hopefully??

I just opened an account when i was visiting the kids and it seemed to be live straight away. Its a CBA account: Smartaccess plus Netsaver.....

Just open a ING bank account,free to use----ANZ NAB etc charge $5.00 PCM charges and charge like wounded bulls if you use overseas,NZ,Far East etc-----but basic $5.00 charge waived if over 60.

Could anyone who has the 173 visa clarify what the tax position in Australia is please? I have been given to understand that temporary residents are exempt from foreign sourced income in Australia. Is this ture? Does this mean for example, if we rented out our house then we would not have to pay tax either in the UK or Oz? Also what about state pension income?

I am not sure if the 173 qualifies as a temporary visa as, according to information on the medical forms, it's a 'provisional permanent' visa.

Pretty sure you will have to pay UK tax. Even if you have permanent Oz visa AND if you have Oz tax status, you still have to file a UK tax return and declare your UK rent and pay UK tax on that... there is some sort of set aside under a Double taxation treaty but far more qualified people than me can explain that to you. However as a 173 visa holder, you wd still have UK liabilities I believe....

Guest Guest31881
Could anyone who has the 173 visa clarify what the tax position in Australia is please? I have been given to understand that temporary residents are exempt from foreign sourced income in Australia. Is this ture? Does this mean for example, if we rented out our house then we would not have to pay tax either in the UK or Oz? Also what about state pension income?

I am not sure if the 173 qualifies as a temporary visa as, according to information on the medical forms, it's a 'provisional permanent' visa.

Nice thought but unfortunately if you earn income in the UK you pay tax to the UK. If you become an Australian tax payer then the double taxation agreement comes in and you only pay tax in one country, but unfortunately, if you have income, you have to pay tax on it to someone.

I do have a vague recollection of someone with a 173 posting on here about making the most of the tax advantages of being on a 173, so delaying the application for the 143 - I've done a search but can't find it. So I can't see where there are any advantages if you still have to pay tax in the UK.

I do know that when we were abroad working in the Middle East, we were not resident in the UK for tax purposes.

It's easy to confuse a residence visa with residence for tax purposes, and people often do.

Ignoring any visa you might hold, you need to assess whether you are resident for tax purposes. Have a look at:

Residency - what you need to know

From the UK point of view, the rules for testing whether you are resident of the UK for tax purposes are of course different to those in Australia. See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm#13nr. And it is perfectly possible to be a tax resident of both countries - in which case the double tax treaty comes into play.

Good luck

Steve

Nice thought but unfortunately if you earn income in the UK you pay tax to the UK. If you become an Australian tax payer then the double taxation agreement comes in and you only pay tax in one country, but unfortunately, if you have income, you have to pay tax on it to someone.

The 173 visa is a temporary residency visa under the Migration Act 1958.

Remember also that UK citizens who are not UK resident remain entitled to a UK personal allowance - although the State Pension may well eat into it.

See also HM Revenue booklet HMRC6 for details of how different types of UK source income are taxable in the hands of non-UK residents.

Best regards.

Hi all, just moved into a rented house in Springfield Lakes yesterday! Container arrived at 07.30 this morning, great to see all our stuff that has been in storage for 4 yrs now, loads & loads of boxes, looks like a mountain. Its this bit that makes you feel that you are here permanently! Have now got my Oz forklift licence & interview number 4 next week. Its actually a 2nd interview for a job so fingers crossed.

So you see, this is whats at the end of that long long wait, but its all worth it in the end!

Matt

Hi Matt,

so pleased for you, it will be like Christmas come early. You'll probably have forgotten about most of your things - it will be so good to have your familar possessions around you again expecially after 4 years. By the time I get my stuff out to Adelaide, mine will have been in storage for over 12 months

good luck

Katie

Congratulations

CO's seem to come by much quicker now, I thought I had mine quick but yours is under a year, fabulous news

Good luck with the rest of your plans

Katie

Matt

Fantastic :biggrin:

Phoebe

Guest guest43653
WOW that was quick.......now I'm panicking :jiggy:

Phoebe

Thats brilliant wish i could just get an acknowledgement that would make my day:frown: