Guest guest36187

Does anyone know the difference between a temporary contributory parent and going straight for the permanent one? and if the permanent one is granted am I still free to come and go to UK where my son lives? Can I live 6 months in each country? If the temporary one, what happens after the 2 years is up? do I then need to pay more for a permanent one?

We went for the173 temporary visa first and the main reason is in order to split the cost as we had to sell our house in order to afford the 143. You pay around half of the second VAC and no Assurance of Support. You can be either in the UK or in Australia while on the visa and are free to come and go as you wish. However you do need to apply for the permanent visa before the 2 years are up and before this is granted you will then to pay the remaining VAC (together the two VACS will actually work out slightly more than going for the 143 straight off as the visa costs will have risen) plus the AOS.

Spending 6 months in each country needs to be carefully planned as there will be tax and healthcare implications to think about. Also the permanent 143 only allows you to come and go freely for 5 years after visa grant. After this time, if you have not become a citizen (you need 4 years in Australia for this and not to have been out of the country for more than 3 months in the year before application) then you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa in order to be able to return to Australia.

Edited by Bridgeman

Hi all

The "test" reply this morning says they're now assessing for finalization up to 31 December 2013.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

i've been trying the test email all week without any luck. At last we are going into 2014!

i hope that we are all going to get a bit of notice about police reports and medicals after all this wait, having to run around like scalded hens in to do it all in 28 days will really be annoying. Anyway we're getting there, just need to sell the house!

Julie

Hi Julie,

We lodged our 143 application April 2014 and have just been contacted by our Agent with HAP ID and request for Police Checks. They have also requested that our Son (AOS) contact Centrelink. So after 18 months " in waiting" we have progress :rolleyes: Yippee !!!!

You shouldn't be far behind.

Phil

Hi Julie,

We lodged our 143 application April 2014 and have just been contacted by our Agent with HAP ID and request for Police Checks. They have also requested that our Son (AOS) contact Centrelink. So after 18 months " in waiting" we have progress :rolleyes: Yippee !!!!

You shouldn't be far behind.

Phil

Hi Phil

thanks for the update regarding your application. Can you tell me what date in April you applied? We applied 21 June so I'm trying to work out if we are running 2 or 3 months behind you! Many thanks, keep us all posted, any info like this is really appreciated by all of us.

Julie

Hi Phil

thanks for the update regarding your application. Can you tell me what date in April you applied? We applied 21 June so I'm trying to work out if we are running 2 or 3 months behind you! Many thanks, keep us all posted, any info like this is really appreciated by all of us.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Application submitted 23rd April.

Although I hav'nt previously posted, it's been a great help reading this thread. It's just good to know others are suffering the "wait" and feeling exactly the same.

Good things come to those who wait ☺

Phil

Hi Julie,

Application submitted 23rd April.

Although I hav'nt previously posted, it's been a great help reading this thread. It's just good to know others are suffering the "wait" and feeling exactly the same.

Good things come to those who wait ☺

Phil

Hi Phil

Wow now i'm really excited, running

exactly 2 months behind you!

Hopefully in the early new year we should also get requests for medicals, police and a.o.s.

keep us all posted of your progress please, it's so reassuring for us all to hear from someone just in front of us in the dreaded queue.

Julie

Hi Phil

Wow now i'm really excited, running

exactly 2 months behind you!

Hopefully in the early new year we should also get requests for medicals, police and a.o.s.

keep us all posted of your progress please, it's so reassuring for us all to hear from someone just in front of us in the dreaded queue.

Julie

Julie

If it helps with the calculations, we lodged on 9 April 2014 and were given our HAP ID at the time so there looks about 2 weeks difference, we were quite probably one of the last lot to receive them before they put a halt on them!

Hope you hear soon

Maisie xx

Julie

If it helps with the calculations, we lodged on 9 April 2014 and were given our HAP ID at the time so there looks about 2 weeks difference, we were quite probably one of the last lot to receive them before they put a halt on them!

Hope you hear soon

Maisie xx

Hi Maisie

thanks for the update, you were lucky to get HAP ids etc. I look forward to reading your whoop of delight when your visa is granted because I'll be just behind you!

Julie

Hi everyone

The auto reply from the "test" email this morning says they're now assessing for finalization 143 applications lodged on 2 January 2014.

Into 2014 at last!!

Cheers

Steve

Dear Steve

I've been forcing myself NOT to send off the test email until this Friday, so glad you did!!!

Happy New Year to all the 2014 applicants.

Julie

Hi,

I'm struggling to understand the assessing queue. Reading previous posts it seems some applications are being processed before applications that were lodged earlier. Is this dependent on the type of visa, does the 173 have a longer wait?

Thanks

Rash

Guest geordie joe
Hi all

The auto reply to the "test" email this morning says they're now assessing for finalization 143's lodged 6 January 2014.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the Friday update Steve, how are you settling in to the rental ?

regards

Joe

Thanks for the Friday update Steve, how are you settling in to the rental ?

regards

Joe

Hi Joe

No worries.

Rental is ok but not home and we don't want to make it home for obvious reasons, hopefully we'll only be here another 6 months or so.

Cheers

Steve