Guest guest36187

Pressures of selling UK property

When to market that's the big question, we placed our property on market at time of application and it has taken 18 months to sell, we are right on the wire with case officer expected mid November. Finally .found a 2nd buyer after 1st attempt fell apart after 14 weeks.

new buyer found and hopefully will make to completion this time, fingers crossed.

constantly hear from government how housing market picking up and house prices increasing, not the case in the West Country, house prices now lower than 8 years ago and average time to sell 9 - 12 months.

Upbeat politics in my view only relates to London and the South East.

only way to force quick sale once clock has run down is to slash price and give away and evaluate what is your driving force, money or quality of life.

What have you experienced with the visa being as expensive as it is.

I would expect in most cases selling property Is essential to realise fees as is the case for us, this can become tricky and progressively stressful. Whilst realising when starting out it is made clear you should have funds available I am sure we are not alone in not having that kind of money just sitting in the bank.

Visa type in our case 143 Contributory parental

Pressures of selling UK property

When to market that's the big question, we placed our property on market at time of application and it has taken 18 months to sell, we are right on the wire with case officer expected mid November. Finally .found a 2nd buyer after 1st attempt fell apart after 14 weeks.

new buyer found and hopefully will make to completion this time, fingers crossed.

constantly hear from government how housing market picking up and house prices increasing, not the case in the West Country, house prices now lower than 8 years ago and average time to sell 9 - 12 months.

Upbeat politics in my view only relates to London and the South East.

only way to force quick sale once clock has run down is to slash price and give away and evaluate what is your driving force, money or quality of life.

What have you experienced with the visa being as expensive as it is.

I would expect in most cases selling property Is essential to realise fees as is the case for us, this can become tricky and progressively stressful. Whilst realising when starting out it is made clear you should have funds available I am sure we are not alone in not having that kind of money just sitting in the bank.

Visa type in our case 143 Contributory parental

Hi - same here Cass1e04. Our house has been on the market since we lodged in April and the timescale around here is anything up to 3 years (we are on the East Coast)! We still have time on our side as we only lodged this year but like yourselves we have to sell if we want to have the money for the 2nd VAC. Then it's what do we do if we sell early! do we rent, do we go to Oz on a 1 year tourist visa? Will we have to come back to get the police checks done and the medicals? Every time I find a solution to one thing it always seems to pose another string of questions about something else!

Good luck and hope your house sale goes through for you

Best wishes

maisiedaisy

Hi - same here Cass1e04. Our house has been on the market since we lodged in April and the timescale around here is anything up to 3 years (we are on the East Coast)! We still have time on our side as we only lodged this year but like yourselves we have to sell if we want to have the money for the 2nd VAC. Then it's what do we do if we sell early! do we rent, do we go to Oz on a 1 year tourist visa? Will we have to come back to get the police checks done and the medicals? Every time I find a solution to one thing it always seems to pose another string of questions about something else!

Good luck and hope your house sale goes through for you

Best wishes

maisiedaisy

Hi maiseydaisy

Although it's a comfort for us all to know there are others in a similar position with similar worries no one can give us an answer about what to do - a crystal ball would be very handy!

We're on the coast in Essex and we know of properties that have sold in days; we were on the market for two years a few years back and couldn't sell.

Where are you on the east coast?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Hopefully it's sorted, someone from immi phoned my son in Perth today and also sent him an email with their contact details. Although believe or not my son, one of the reasons we are moving half way round the world only remembered when we spoke to him about something else! So fingers crossed they will put the payment through tomorrow and I can forget about everything for at least a year.

regards

Joe

Hi Joe

Did it get sorted ok?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, Perth's nice, but I guess you will know that already. We are going to Sydney. We love exploring Australia though, so will travel a lot over the years (although we will be working, I'll still be under 50 by grant). We have seen so much already, but not even the tip of the iceberg(?) really, and I lived there 20 years ago so am quite familiar with a few cities. We'll all be there before you know it, but the waiting seems it may take longer from this year.

Amanda

Yes we love Perth but do hope to explore more of the country

Hey guys

Sorry to bother you lads again but im really stressed about the dependency part of my visa.

For your info:-

My son was 17 yo when we lodged our visa but he is 19 yo.

our visa is cpv143 as you all know.

Im really worried about the evidence that i would need to give to prove my son's dependency.My son is not in full time education as he wanted to do some small course of his choice. Please advice me about the evidences and if anyone gone from such situation and got their visa, kindly share your experience. Thank you

Rich

Guest geordie joe
Hi Joe

Did it get sorted ok?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

yes thanks, all sorted we were able to email the guy who was dealing with our case direct and let him know to apply for the payment again, finally received the receipt by email yesterday morning.

Sympathy to those sweating on a house sale to cover the second 143 contribution...What happens if you can't pay at the time?? Do you have to apply again??...and how practical is a bridging loan until the house is sold?

We took out a small mortgage to cover the visa costs just so we could be a bit more relaxed about as to when we actually make the move. That said, house is still not sold so perhaps with hindsight, we did the right thing in that respect but we wish we had put house on the market sooner.

Luckily we still have jobs to pay the mortgage!

Best of luck!

Hi maiseydaisy

Although it's a comfort for us all to know there are others in a similar position with similar worries no one can give us an answer about what to do - a crystal ball would be very handy!

We're on the coast in Essex and we know of properties that have sold in days; we were on the market for two years a few years back and couldn't sell.

Where are you on the east coast?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

We're in Lincolnshire and it seems your home is either sold in a matter of days or you're in for the long haul!! and like you say, although it's a stressful time for us all it is a comfort to know we are not on our own! It seems to be the only thing we talk about in our house these days between checking to see if the acknowledgement has put in an appearance! Thank goodness for PIO

Regards

maisiedaisy

Hey guys

Sorry to bother you lads again but im really stressed about the dependency part of my visa.

For your info:-

My son was 17 yo when we lodged our visa but he is 19 yo.

our visa is cpv143 as you all know.

Im really worried about the evidence that i would need to give to prove my son's dependency.My son is not in full time education as he wanted to do some small course of his choice. Please advice me about the evidences and if anyone gone from such situation and got their visa, kindly share your experience. Thank you

Rich

I am not sure that anyone n here has experience to help you with your query. Have you thought about maybe consulting a registered migration agent who might be able to advise you?

2nd and final vac payment on 143.

our application is being handled by australian agent, on making main payment can anyone advise most cost effective /simplest payment route to immi

( in GBP or AUD ? - to agent in Oz via. Transfer co. For them to pay ? - Direct to Oz gov in UK etc. ? Direct to immi in Oz etc..).

Thanks in advance

For those that asked my FIL visa app lodged 04/02/13. Letter requesting police check, AOS and medical 04/08/14. Police clearance already done, medical 18/08/14 and AOS 01/09/14. nothing heard since. I have chased our immigration agents to see what the hold up is and when we can expect the request for the VAC

Acknowledgements - We're still waiting for ours and time is creeping on since we lodged in April. Has anyone else received their acknowledgement for the CPV 143 that was lodged around the same time please?

Thank you

maisiedaisy

Hi maisydaisy, My application was lodged on the 4th February 2014 and first payment was taken on the 14th February. Still waiting for acknowledgement.

Hope this helps Glynis

Hi maisydaisy, My application was lodged on the 4th February 2014 and first payment was taken on the 14th February. Still waiting for acknowledgement.

Hope this helps Glynis

Oh my goodness Glynis, that's two clear months before us!! 7 months!!!!! At this rate we'll be getting a case officer before the acknowledgement!! -thanx for the information. Will be interesting to see if anyone else is in the same boat!

regards

maisiedaisy

Cass

When you are asked for your 2nd VAC, you will told how to pay, they will not take transfers, only credit cards which is very expensive AU$900+ as you have to pay the card fees, or bank cheque about AU$10. We sent a cheque by registered post from QLD on a Friday and it was there on the Monday. Hope this helps

Cass

When you are asked for your 2nd VAC, you will told how to pay, they will not take transfers, only credit cards which is very expensive AU$900+ as you have to pay the card fees, or bank cheque about AU$10. We sent a cheque by registered post from QLD on a Friday and it was there on the Monday. Hope this helps

Hi,

Please don't do what I (very stupidly) did when paying the 2nd VAC. As I have a bank account with ANZ and also have a cheque book for that account, I just wrote a cheque and couriered it over. Ooh they weren't happy and made me request a "bank cheque". I didn't know this is the UK equivalent of a bankers draft. My cheque would have worked perfectly well but I suppose rules are rules............oops!

Sympathy to those sweating on a house sale to cover the second 143 contribution...What happens if you can't pay at the time?? Do you have to apply again??...and how practical is a bridging loan until the house is sold?

For us it will mean we have to withdraw application before 2 nd vac requested, reapply next year and start whole process again.

Edited by Cass1e04

Cass

Hi there, am I right in thinking that if you're in the UK, you can go to London and pay it at the High Commission? I had enough trouble paying the first VAC by credit card so it's not going to be an option for the 2nd one!

regards

maisiedaisy

Hi there, am I right in thinking that if you're in the UK, you can go to London and pay it at the High Commission? I had enough trouble paying the first VAC by credit card so it's not going to be an option for the 2nd one!

regards

maisiedaisy

Yes Maisey we are in Dorset, what I was trying to find out is wether it is better to transfer funds to Oz now the exchange rate is improving and paying in $ over there rather £ over here.

I read somewhere on the immi website on the Q&A section an explanation of how charges/fees are calculated, when paying to the embassy in the UK a fixed rate is used for VAC fees and its reviewed and the rate fixed every 6 months.

if this is the case rate fixing may be at start of new UK tax year then reviewed 6months later.

I assume this will be based on an average conservative currency conversion rate to allow for currency market fluctuations, the fixed rate will probably be lower than what can be achieved transfering funds to OZ on a strong pound.

With a rising pound and such a large fee, you may score a tidy sum by transfering funds into Oz and paying over there in $ capitalising on the exchange rate.

All speculative and down to timing but could help reducing the outlay of fees.

Perhaps someone can advise if they have tried this and how it worked out

Edited by Cass1e04

Hi all,

I will be now applying from 173 to 143 visa. I just want to confirm that: I need to fill up form 47PT and form 40. Submit one passport size photo, certified copy of passport and first visa charge $325. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I will appreciate if anyone can throw some light on the processing time of 173 to 143.

regards

maisiedaisy

Yes, we did this. The exchange rate was fixed every 6 months and when we paid the 2nd VAC it turned out that it was cheaper to pay the High Commission in London. There used to be a currency converter on the immigration website, which gave the equivalent in pounds sterling which was payable in London. From this you could then work out the exchange rate and whether it was cheaper to pay in London or not. However the link I have doesn't seem to be working any more and I can't find anything on the website. Might be an idea to contact the High Commission before paying there, as the rate may not always be better. If you were paying today for example, I would think you would get a better exchange rate with one of the foreign exchange companies than the rate which was fixed in July - if this is still what happens.

Another way of doing it is to transfer the money to your son/daughter's bank account in Australia using one of the companies such as HiFx and get your son/daughter to get their bank to issue a bank draft.

Yes, we did this. The exchange rate was fixed every 6 months and when we paid the 2nd VAC it turned out that it was cheaper to pay the High Commission in London. There used to be a currency converter on the immigration website, which gave the equivalent in pounds sterling which was payable in London. From this you could then work out the exchange rate and whether it was cheaper to pay in London or not. However the link I have doesn't seem to be working any more and I can't find anything on the website. Might be an idea to contact the High Commission before paying there, as the rate may not always be better. If you were paying today for example, I would think you would get a better exchange rate with one of the foreign exchange companies than the rate which was fixed in July - if this is still what happens.

Another way of doing it is to transfer the money to your son/daughter's bank account in Australia using one of the companies such as HiFx and get your son/daughter to get their bank to issue a bank draft.

Thanx for that, that's been really helpful. I thought you could but I hadn't seen it anywhere for me to be sure