Ditch the Australian Flag or not ??

calNgary

Past prime minister Paul Keating used the Republican debate to divert attention away from the disastrous state of the economy to great effect, so now a new Labour government is in, the hanger oner's like Ray Martin are bringing up this subject, it is a complete white elephant and rears it head now and again.

There is nothing wrong with the current flag and criticizing it just takes people away from the real issues of the day.

I find I can think about the flag and other issues too....maybe I'm just clever :biglaugh:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only issue with Aussie flag is that it has been used too much by racist bogans in gang colours and hence these days its become more of a symbol of racism.

Its the same flag from white australia days and used heavily by racist tools during Cronulla riots.

Hence it makes sense to ditch it and adopt the Aboriginal flag.

That will have a positive impact in our society in many ways. Its the best way to bring national reconciliation with aboriginals who are at always unease with Aussie flag, and allows us to rightly acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands.

Any flag will be used by racist people, look at the UK with the BNP! So does that mean that the UK should change it's flag? And if the countries of the world changed their flags, would that stop racists from using the new flag?

The Aboriginal flag represents the Aboriginal people, not the Australian people. By getting rid of the Union Jack you are trying to wipe away a huge part of our history. Yes the Aboriginals were here 1st but left to them the land would of stayed the same and lets face it, how many Brits would be wanting to move to Australia to live in a bark hut? If the flag is to change, NO other flag should be designed into it.

The Aboriginals fly their own flag anyway, by getting rid of the union jack and putting their flag in the corner would they ditch their flag? No I don't think they would. The Aboriginal's are un easy about most things done by the "white fella" the funny thing is the ones that complain and want their benifits and all the perks are as white as you and me and have no knoweldge of Aboriginal culture.

Guest proud2beaussie

Memo to K Rudd.

Before you jump on the Australia Day "change the flag" hobby horse again I suggest-

Fix things like the lack of infrastructure in regional Australia,eg spend some money to ensure that the much touted fast broadband scheme actually happens ,fix the health system and build decent hospitals in regional areas and bring in qualified people to work in them,from overseas if necessary,build better airports in regional and rural areas and start the process of building a second Sydney airport,complete the upgrade works at Avalon airport in Melbourne.

and make Australia a smart nation again by building more universities and tafe colleges and before you ask where the money is coming from for these projects I suggest you stop giving handouts to people who don't need them and start ensuring that companies like Sanitarium start paying their fair share of tax on the profits they earn.

When you have done all these things,or at least started to do them,then ask me again about changing the flag and I might be interested-until then put it back in the box and put Ray Martin with it.

Kind regards

The real Australians.

Memo to K Rudd.

Before you jump on the Australia Day "change the flag" hobby horse again I suggest-

Fix things like the lack of infrastructure in regional Australia,eg spend some money to ensure that the much touted fast broadband scheme actually happens ,fix the health system and build decent hospitals in regional areas and bring in qualified people to work in them,from overseas if necessary,build better airports in regional and rural areas and start the process of building a second Sydney airport,complete the upgrade works at Avalon airport in Melbourne.

and make Australia a smart nation again by building more universities and tafe colleges and before you ask where the money is coming from for these projects I suggest you stop giving handouts to people who don't need them and start ensuring that companies like Sanitarium start paying their fair share of tax on the profits they earn.

When you have done all these things,or at least started to do them,then ask me again about changing the flag and I might be interested-until then put it back in the box and put Ray Martin with it.

Kind regards

The real Australians.

Isn't that just a fancy way of saying never bring it up again cause you don't agree with it :biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie
Isn't that just a fancy way of saying never bring it up again cause you don't agree with it :biglaugh:

No not at all,I'm open minded on the subject but I don't think that it is a matter of life and death that it be changed in the next 10 years,but what does need to be addressed right away is infrastructure and the most important of all -water.

Start building the infrastructure that Australia needs in the 21st century,and beyond,and then just maybe we will be mature enough to examine the flag issue sensibly,at the moment I'm afraid it's not on my list of 'things to do today".

But then I'm not the prime minister am I.

Guest wanderer

My earlier post met with a connection gliche but essentially though I agree with you Nigel on infrastructure and particularly for water one thing we all need to bear in mind re Australia is population density and the income base - the reason it has taken to now to nearly [ or is it complete] have the Hume as dual carriageway.

We should abandon the $45B blow job on FOC BB and that money could be put to far better use in at least an eastern states/SEA water grid of Dams and pipelines etc. [ eventually perhaps from Gulf if need be] , much more work likely to be created and an environment for growing more food than BB will ever do and perhaps being the encouragement/motivation for decentralisation seeing as that is totally lacking at all levels of government.

With growth of the regions, services will grow with them for again it's a population issue.

I'd not think it overly smart for more and more universities for we already have graduates managing McDonalds [and getting killed] and so what next, degree courses in Taxi Driving and Service Station Attendance.

Hospitals worked fine before it was decided Nurses had to go to University and if you speak to anyone involved in Nursing training, you might well be surprised with drop out rate after Y1 or when it comes to bed pan work that wasn't in the degree training.

This country has gone education mad and just forgotten a little of the basics of society, there still being the need for people to be tradespeople/ working at a craft and farming the land [ finding out the average age of farmers would be another eye opener and one of the reasons we probably import asparagus all the way from Peru. ]

We need far less people being brainwashed with the smart concept as it is.

And sure agree, getting rid of dumb politicians would be the best place to start.

No not at all,I'm open minded on the subject but I don't think that it is a matter of life and death that it be changed in the next 10 years,but what does need to be addressed right away is infrastructure and the most important of all -water.

Start building the infrastructure that Australia needs in the 21st century,and beyond,and then just maybe we will be mature enough to examine the flag issue sensibly,at the moment I'm afraid it's not on my list of 'things to do today".

But then I'm not the prime minister am I.

IMO I think this argument could be put forward at any stage in Australia's history - there has always been great challenges ahead and always will be - waiting for the moment they are all complete before addressing any symbolic issues means waiting for a time that will never arrive. We should at least start debating it - these things take time so lets start having the public discussion.

Memo to K Rudd.

Kind regards

The real Australians.

Very well said Nigel, and what happend to Badgerys Creek (Sydneys second Airport)

Loads of Australian companies are on the tax fiddle, its about time that was looked at too.

the big question is.... who really cares? really besides a topic of discussion, selling newpapers etc.

whats the big deal what the flag looks like, isn't this just turning into another yearly way to sell stuff like valentines, i'm sure this time last year the same flag stuff was all over the news

Guest guest37336

Depends who you ask. I have met a vastly varied and mixed bunch of individuals in Australia and very often the subject of the 'flag' comes up. The older generation, above 50 or so, are fairly adamant that the flag should stay as it is. Whereas the younger generation seem in favour of a redesign to some degree.

I would not like to offer too much of an opinion as an 'adopted' Aussie. But I will say this. That the present flag is steeped in history and was fought long and hard for, many laid down their lives for such a cause. But I can also see the other viewpoint, where Australia has become its 'own' country and should have a flag that represents this.

It is a difficult one, but only a decision that the Australians can make.

Depends who you ask. I have met a vastly varied and mixed bunch of individuals in Australia and very often the subject of the 'flag' comes up. The older generation, above 50 or so, are fairly adamant that the flag should stay as it is. Whereas the younger generation seem in favour of a redesign to some degree.

I would not like to offer too much of an opinion as an 'adopted' Aussie. But I will say this. That the present flag is steeped in history and was fought long and hard for, many laid down their lives for such a cause. But I can also see the other viewpoint, where Australia has become its 'own' country and should have a flag that represents this.

It is a difficult one, but only a decision that the Australians can make.

I think you will find the Australian flag represents Australia, however over time things change and if we update the flag every 100 yrs (4 eg) I think the country would lose it's identity. Look at the Union Jack it's ment to represents England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland......... but only has the Scotish and English flags, so should the Union Jack be changed so it truely represents a "UNITED KINGDOM"?

Great post BTW

Guest wanderer
where Australia has become its 'own' country and should have a flag that represents this.

I'd reckon that Australia was enough of it's own country from federation of the states on and it was shortly after that the flag was created.

The only thing done wrong at the time was not the dropping of the regal reps for the states and diminishing the state parliaments and bureaucracies.

I think you will find the Australian flag represents Australia, however over time things change and if we update the flag every 100 yrs (4 eg) I think the country would lose it's identity. Look at the Union Jack it's ment to represents England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland......... but only has the Scotish and English flags, so should the Union Jack be changed so it truely represents a "UNITED KINGDOM"?

Great post BTW

Actually Geoffrey , the " union jack" represents the flags of St george ( England ) , St Andrew ( scotland) and St Patrick ( Ireland ) - A brief education lesson for our antipodean visitor :biglaugh:

Actually Geoffrey , the " union jack" represents the flags of St george ( England ) , St Andrew ( scotland) and St Patrick ( Ireland ) - A brief education lesson for our antipodean visitor :biglaugh:

Stop using words I need to google :biglaugh:

My point still stands then, as you are still missing the welsh flag, I thought it had to do with one of the kings (was he not scotish?) and the mergiing of the 2 flags so as not to upset either..... I don't think I do to bad for English history considering.......

Guest wanderer
Maybe they should change it to include Wales!

While at it, why not see NI and the Republic there united as it should be and very logical to fully ammend the Union Jack in one less than foul sweep.

St Kilda town hall gay flag angers workers | The Courier-Mail

That would never happen in the UK:no:

:wink: Never: Gay pride flag flies at police HQ - Telegraph

The flag to be hoisted to mark "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual History Month" at North Wales Police, where Richard Brunstrom, the controversial chief constable is in charge.

However anger is growing about flying the flag, and whether special interest groups should be perceived to be favoured by the police.

Archived