Went back for a visit & LOVED it... phew!!

Guest rachellh

Most pensioners flock their in the Uk , 2 shows a week pensions go far these days

Woo, hoo, wonder if they will take my ACT seniors card?!

Beats the time I actually flew all the way to London just to see my favourite actor on stage (twice in the one visit). It was amazing and he won an Olivier for it. A pensioner's ticket would be just the job!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tracyinsydney

Hi Rachel, thanks for posting this we have also decided to go back to the UK as we have had similar experiences. We were under the impression that life out here was going to be great. Everything was supposedly cheaper than the UK and the weather was fantastic all year round and it was a laid back lifestyle with regards to work. Nearly everything is more expensive, its much too hot to spend alot of time outdoors and my OH works about 60 hrs a week which is more than he has ever done. My son has settled in to school but he wants to go home too. To be honest i've been longing to go home ever since we got here, it didn't feel right from the start. We are saving up to get our things shipped home and are deciding where we want to live when we get back. The logistics off it all seems to be a nightmare, thinking about where we are going to live when we get back, finding jobs and praying that my son won't be too far behind at school when we return. I'm glad we had the opportunity to come here so we wasn't always wondering what if. I certainly have a new appreciation for the UK that i didn't have before i came here and i too told everyone i would never come back. all the best and i hope everything goes well for you.

Guest rachellh
Manchester airport was awful last month too - dirty, no lifts working and the one that was had only one light out of four working, but 10 minutes down the M56 that was all behind us and the sparkly countryside was beautiful.

Rachel - Great post and thanks for your pm. I did reply , but then leant forward over my laptop and wiped the lot!!!! Must do something about my tummy......!! Will try again early next week.

Really looking forward to meeting you very soon. x

It's OK, I know you're busy leading an interesting life back in the land of the living! Looking forward to hearing whats been going on though - and meeting you when we get back. BTW, have sent off deposit for HOHS, so it's all about saving for the uniform now!!!

Rachel x

Guest rachellh
Hi Rachel, thanks for posting this we have also decided to go back to the UK as we have had similar experiences. We were under the impression that life out here was going to be great. Everything was supposedly cheaper than the UK and the weather was fantastic all year round and it was a laid back lifestyle with regards to work. Nearly everything is more expensive, its much too hot to spend alot of time outdoors and my OH works about 60 hrs a week which is more than he has ever done. My son has settled in to school but he wants to go home too. To be honest i've been longing to go home ever since we got here, it didn't feel right from the start. We are saving up to get our things shipped home and are deciding where we want to live when we get back. The logistics off it all seems to be a nightmare, thinking about where we are going to live when we get back, finding jobs and praying that my son won't be too far behind at school when we return. I'm glad we had the opportunity to come here so we wasn't always wondering what if. I certainly have a new appreciation for the UK that i didn't have before i came here and i too told everyone i would never come back. all the best and i hope everything goes well for you.

Good luck with it all, it's a daunting move to organize isn't it! But at least when you're going that way you know exactly what to expect when you arrive and have more realistic expectations of what your life will be like. Sadly when many people move this way it's based on a 'holiday in the sun' image and backed up by TV programmes like Home & Away and that pointless Wanted Down Under!

I can't wait to get back again, and I NEVER thought I'd say that!

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest livejazz

rachel,

totally agree on wanted down under. awful awful awful programme that is frankly absurdly giving a one sided representation of life down under.

In terms of going back to the UK, comparing oranges to apples never works. We have different climates, different history, different cultures and hugely different localities. the whole UK better than Australia is pointless. i am sure there are unhappy people and happy people in both places!

if people have houses in the uk, have friends, family, have jobs, have pubs, have tesco...why they heck do they move! stay put people, it is no better elsewhere.

if like me...friends are not around, family..not much, no pubs, hate tesco, better jobs in australia, plus hate the cold...and not a huge fan of walking the dog in english countryside, plus dont own property, plus like the down to earth australian attitiude (not class orientated UK), plus dont have tons of money to enjoy gordon's resturants in london...and have young kids, then maybe it is worth a try...but ONLY then really.

if people have houses in the uk, have friends, family, have jobs, have pubs, have tesco...why they heck do they move! stay put people, it is no better elsewhere.

I think it's a case of 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone' and many people want to try something else and have adventure in their lives, no matter what they already have.

I think it's a case of 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone' and many people want to try something else and have adventure in their lives, no matter what they already have.

Maybe some people's idea of 'adventure' is not going to Tesco/Asda:idea:

But then they find they can't live without them!!:biglaugh:

Norwich the life of the plan et alan partridge wotever , its all about familiarity , if my memory serves me right you are one of thr living the dream uk is **** types , now hankering for tescos and **** get real shoppin and the price of it is not the be and end all ,

Mally

Last night with Kanga Bruce ( **** bbqer ) JOKe top nite thanx Daz and Sarah mornin on the beach with the dog ( and my mrs lol) this arvo in the pub . faults answeresd

Guest rachellh
Maybe going to Tesco won't be so much fun anymore now that they have introduced a dress code.:biggrin:

See, now if Coles and Woolworths had a dress code it would be so much better. People might wear shoes! :jiggy:

Guest rachellh
Norwich the life of the plan et alan partridge wotever , its all about familiarity , if my memory serves me right you are one of thr living the dream uk is **** types , now hankering for tescos and **** get real shoppin and the price of it is not the be and end all ,

Mally

Last night with Kanga Bruce ( **** bbqer ) JOKe top nite thanx Daz and Sarah mornin on the beach with the dog ( and my mrs lol) this arvo in the pub . faults answeresd

I'm presuming that is meant to be offensive in some way, but seeing as it doesn't actually make any sense.... :wink:

Guest proud2beaussie
See, now if Coles and Woolworths had a dress code it would be so much better. People might wear shoes! :jiggy:

Must just be Perth Rachel coz if you went barefoot into a supermarket in my area you would end up with third degree burns at this time of year and probably frostbite in the winter.:biggrin:

OR maybe tescos could have interpretters and a specil till for the vouchers ,sunday mornin in Rotherham all you her is poish and east european ,methinks its a national thing , familiarity is a funy thing when you are used to something you thake it for granted works both ways ,fleeting hol in he uk looks fab familiaruty sets in and the same feelings kick in

Guest rachellh
Must just be Perth Rachel coz if you went barefoot into a supermarket in my area you would end up with third degree burns at this time of year and probably frostbite in the winter.:biggrin:

I think it is Perth thing. Whatever it is, it's horrible to see a pair of scabby, dirty looking feet walking past the counter when you're trying to choose between the overpriced chicken and the overpriced fish!

I think it is Perth thing. Whatever it is, it's horrible to see a pair of scabby, dirty looking feet walking past the counter when you're trying to choose between the overpriced chicken and the overpriced fish!

TRY the fish with big chip on your shoulder

good luck on your move back to the uk rachellh and hope it works out well for you .england , scotland and wales are all beautiful with amazing countryside and fantastic cities . me and mrs b have made a kind of bucketlist of things to do and places to see before we go to oz. yesterday we went to london ,walked through hyde park to get to natural history museum then onto trafalger square , covent garden , leicester square and picadilly circus. its funny but because it might be our last visit there i looked at it completely different, i looked everywhere and at everything not looking 'through' things like people usually do when they take things for granted . i always thought paris was nicer than london but changed my mind yesterday . only downside was we spent about £80 pounds on coffees because it was so f in cold ! but the museum was free and fantastic and so were the views .

Mally

I think I am quite glad I don't understand this.

Just to put the record straight though. I don't hate Australia or the Uk - I've lived equal time in both over the last 10 years, it's just that, for the time being my family is better served by the UK, although that might change again next year. There are good things about both countries and I'm proud to be a citizen of both. Please don't make assumptions about people you don't know; it's ignorant and rude in the extreme. And I don't shop in tesco.

Archived