Went back for a visit & LOVED it... phew!!

Guest rachellh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest marcusev

Rachel,

That is a great post - thank you so much - as this is the dilemma that I am currently going through. I know all the benefits of the UK and when people tell me about lifestyle here, I simply state - cost of living (not house purchase), is far better in the UK - cheaper food, clothing, better income tax etc..

Ok it has it's issues, but there's a lot of issues in Aus as well - more so than what little gets televised. There is a very low form of censorship still in Aus, so you don't get to see the whole picture.

I was debating moving back full time - but I like the idea of going back for a long holiday and suss it out, then made an informed decision. OMG How I've missed Tesco's - imagine being able to buy your groceries and alocohol in the same shop - wow what a new idea ;)

Anyway - thanks for the insight and food for thought - good luck with the move back..

Guest proud2beaussie
imagine being able to buy your groceries and alocohol in the same shop

I can do that at my local supermarket,as I can in just about every supermarket in Victoria,or NSW for that matter.

Guest rachellh
I take it that you never went to Sheffield on your visit, as it's a sh!t hole.

Nope, can't say I've ever been. Now I'll know to avoid it!

Guest rachellh
Rachel,

That is a great post - thank you so much - as this is the dilemma that I am currently going through. I know all the benefits of the UK and when people tell me about lifestyle here, I simply state - cost of living (not house purchase), is far better in the UK - cheaper food, clothing, better income tax etc..

Ok it has it's issues, but there's a lot of issues in Aus as well - more so than what little gets televised. There is a very low form of censorship still in Aus, so you don't get to see the whole picture.

I was debating moving back full time - but I like the idea of going back for a long holiday and suss it out, then made an informed decision. OMG How I've missed Tesco's - imagine being able to buy your groceries and alocohol in the same shop - wow what a new idea ;)

Anyway - thanks for the insight and food for thought - good luck with the move back..

Thanks! Funny thing is even houses here are now really expensive. Reported on the the news the other night that Perth median house prices have hit their highest level in nearly two years and are back over $500,000, and as I said in another post, that's not even enough to buy 'the dream' anymore.

I definitely recommend going back for a visit to suss it all out first if you can, and even better if it's at the coldest time of the year! Of course it's always slightly different when you're on holiday, but I think most people know enough about the place to be realistic about what they are returning to. For me personally, I can't wait to be able to spend time with friends that I've known since school. I think having history with people and places is what I miss the most.

Good luck with your dilemma, hope it all slots into place.

Rachel :biggrin:

Hi Rachel

Great post and makes me feel a lot better about things. All you say about the UK is true. It wasn't such a bad place when I left over two years ago and am so looking forward to going home. My heart is there and having two young kids I feel I need to be home so that they will be close to their family. I wasn't unhappy in the Uk. I just wish I had thought through the big move out here before giving up a good job where I was very happy. I came to Oz for a better life and don't feel I have found that. I really miss my family too much to give that up. It has caused a lot of problems with my OH as he wants to stay here but I know I'm not alone in that. I am really worried about how things will turn out when we get home as how will my husband settle when he feels that way. I just hope it will settle down and hate to say it but I do regret moving here. Things would be a lot better for us right now. I know people will say that at least you tried it and maybe I will look back in the future and feel that too. It just won't be easy starting again but hopefully it will be the right thing for us. We are returning in the next month.

Guest SophieKin

Hi Tiarna

I can really appreciate your position and it is an awful situation to be in. I too wander when we eventually return home how my OH will react but to move abroad everyone has to be happy otherwise there is no point in doing it. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you

Guest rachellh
Hi Rachel

Great post and makes me feel a lot better about things. All you say about the UK is true. It wasn't such a bad place when I left over two years ago and am so looking forward to going home. My heart is there and having two young kids I feel I need to be home so that they will be close to their family. I wasn't unhappy in the Uk. I just wish I had thought through the big move out here before giving up a good job where I was very happy. I came to Oz for a better life and don't feel I have found that. I really miss my family too much to give that up. It has caused a lot of problems with my OH as he wants to stay here but I know I'm not alone in that. I am really worried about how things will turn out when we get home as how will my husband settle when he feels that way. I just hope it will settle down and hate to say it but I do regret moving here. Things would be a lot better for us right now. I know people will say that at least you tried it and maybe I will look back in the future and feel that too. It just won't be easy starting again but hopefully it will be the right thing for us. We are returning in the next month.

Hi, really glad the post helped in someway.

I also wasn't unhappy in the UK when I left, but my husband was born here, so always wanted to come and give it ago. I've lived much of my life overseas so leaving the UK didn't really phase me at all, but for some reason, like you, I now can't wait to get back. Maybe it's because I've got young kids and want to put down roots somewhere that feels like home, or maybe it's just because we really don't get what we are looking for out of the way of life here - who knows!

I'm sure once you're back there and happy you will be glad you at least gave it ago, because there must be nothing worse than spending your whole life thinking 'what if we'd gone'. You've tried it, got the t-shirt, didn't like it and left. That's more than most people will ever do.

If you think about it, all our lives really amount to at the end of the day is a series of memories that we've created - good or bad. One day you'll look back and laugh I'm sure!

I hope it all works out well for you both and your life gets back on track in the not too distant future. Enjoy the time you have left here and make sure you take lots of photos to stick in the 'when we lived in Oz' album!!

Rachel :biggrin:

Sorry, can't keep up with all these pseudonyms - I'm the same with PIN no's, passwords and logins!

Hi Ezzie,

Yep, back here again. Since 21st Dec. Without oh, who had to stay for work. That Norfolk magnet is very strong. Replied to your pm on 'the other one'

• 7 months later...
Guest Devon Lass

Rachel - I have just read your forum and can relate to those feelings - I went home 20 months ago for the first time in two years being here -( I have now been here nearly 4 years and hate it) flying into London my face was glued to the window and I burst into tears when I saw a black cab and red double decker, i am not a London girl but really felt like I was home. We went back to the Cotswolds which I adore and felt so elated just to be there, i even kissed the floor of Tesco's much to my friends horror and amusement!

Devon was breath taking and I realised I was lucky to have had a wonderful child hood growing up there, my mother and brother fortunately still live there. The final part of the Uk journey was back to Suffolk where I spent my final 14 years there before emigrating here. I saw my old house which was a 380 yr grade II listed building sitting on a acre and felt sick to the stomach that I have stupily sold that history for a whimsical dream lifestyle here. Two days before D day - I literally could not speak to anyone as I so did not want to return back to Oz . I was sick at the airport and couldn't speak to my husband for the first 16 hours of the flight.

I felt dreadful for months on my return and this trip just reassured me too that i want to go home. My husband is Australian and has returned to his roots after 20 years of living in UK, and so does not want to go back. He is fully aware of my feelings but is in constant denial.

I am heading home again in November for Christmas with just the two kids and know in my heart of hearts i will not want to come back

Good luck with your return plans -I am so envious and happy for you - thank you for sharing your story - all the very best :biggrin:

Rachel - I have just read your forum and can relate to those feelings - I went home 20 months ago for the first time in two years being here -( I have now been here nearly 4 years and hate it) flying into London my face was glued to the window and I burst into tears when I saw a black cab and red double decker, i am not a London girl but really felt like I was home. We went back to the Cotswolds which I adore and felt so elated just to be there, i even kissed the floor of Tesco's much to my friends horror and amusement!

Devon was breath taking and I realised I was lucky to have had a wonderful child hood growing up there, my mother and brother fortunately still live there. The final part of the Uk journey was back to Suffolk where I spent my final 14 years there before emigrating here. I saw my old house which was a 380 yr grade II listed building sitting on a acre and felt sick to the stomach that I have stupily sold that history for a whimsical dream lifestyle here. Two days before D day - I literally could not speak to anyone as I so did not want to return back to Oz . I was sick at the airport and couldn't speak to my husband for the first 16 hours of the flight.

I felt dreadful for months on my return and this trip just reassured me too that i want to go home. My husband is Australian and has returned to his roots after 20 years of living in UK, and so does not want to go back. He is fully aware of my feelings but is in constant denial.

I am heading home again in November for Christmas with just the two kids and know in my heart of hearts i will not want to come back

Good luck with your return plans -I am so envious and happy for you - thank you for sharing your story - all the very best :biggrin:

Ah, those mixed marriages have a lot to answer for, dont they? :hug: to you - the farewells never get easier I can tell you. I feel physically sick every time and howl my eyes out on the train from Cambridge to London and then again on the plane as it soars off.

You do have to get things sorted with your DH though - heavens knows what will be a good enough compromise for you but he has to go part way to meet you (maybe a second job so you can go home every year?)

Guest siamsusie

How tragic that all these good years are being wasted and that goes for both parties really. You say your husband has spent 20 years in the UK, how did he feel on foreign shores?

It's wonderful you are able to return home for Christmas, and hopefully as time goes on the situation will alleviate itself somewhat.:hug:

Guest Devon Lass

thanks for the response - yes I do hope that things will get resolved I am frantically applying for jobs back in Uk (FOR HIM) as we were both in aviation, me in management so have left behind heaps of great contacts who have been wonderful. My husband is just being damn awkward as wil lonly return on his t & C - to the right job, salary etc like we had before. He loved living in the UK for 20 years (that was his choice and no one made him stay) and I do feel he misses it. We even feel like total outsiders to his family and they have even questioned what we are doing here ( in the nicest possible way) and not given any support to me whilst my husband is away on long trips - I am a total singleton parent. The grandparents live 20 mins away and hardly visit and have NEVER called to have the children - so sad for them really as missing out on so much of their growing years. my husband hasn't made any friends here or reconnected with old school friends as they have mainly moved away now - so really not quite sure what 'lifestyle ' he is getting from this!

Hi Rachel, thanks for posting this we have also decided to go back to the UK as we have had similar experiences. We were under the impression that life out here was going to be great. Everything was supposedly cheaper than the UK and the weather was fantastic all year round and it was a laid back lifestyle with regards to work. Nearly everything is more expensive, its much too hot to spend alot of time outdoors and my OH works about 60 hrs a week which is more than he has ever done. My son has settled in to school but he wants to go home too. To be honest i've been longing to go home ever since we got here, it didn't feel right from the start. We are saving up to get our things shipped home and are deciding where we want to live when we get back. The logistics off it all seems to be a nightmare, thinking about where we are going to live when we get back, finding jobs and praying that my son won't be too far behind at school when we return. I'm glad we had the opportunity to come here so we wasn't always wondering what if. I certainly have a new appreciation for the UK that i didn't have before i came here and i too told everyone i would never come back. all the best and i hope everything goes well for you.

Hi Tracy

We are in the same boat as you. Knew it wasent right from day 1.I could of turned and ran there and then. But No, we tried, and everyday has really got harder for us to keep going. At times this has put a dreadful strain on our relationship, but thankfully we seem to have a strong relationship and at least we are both frustrated by the same things

We are trying to plan all of the logistics,which seems so stressful. At least we dont have all that rotton Immigration paperwork to go through going back!!!

At this moment in time,Im not glad I came here, but Im sure I will be once I get home, and I will look back on it as an experience.Only because I feel so trapped and so desperatly want to be back in the UK

My Hubby works loads more hours here, and we also thought everything was cheaper here. Im shocked at the prices, for everything and the lack of choice

Good Luck with all of your plans,you will get there xx

Hi,

Really feel for you. We moved to Oz last January as my husband is also Australian and his family are all there (we have no family in the UK and 3 young children). My husband had been living in the uk for over 20 years. He found a job no problem in Oz but worked such long hours and the travelling was a joke. He found that Australia hadn't moved on at all in the time he'd been away and felt a stranger in his own country. The education was appalling (unless you are into sport) and the overall choice and opportunities are limited-this is ofcourse due to the tiny population which has a huge knock on effect on infrastructure/service/products/choice etc.

We lasted 8 months and returned to wonderful England 6 weeks ago. We are starting again renovating an old house (only has an outside tap and no electricity) he has found a job (exec I.T) and the children are back in their old school.

I know that I'm very lucky that my husband feels as I do.....my heart breaks for the people who are split in their opinions.

Archived