New Show..Relocation: 'Phil Down Under' 22/01 (UK)

cartertucker

Guest CROWEMAN

You'll love Brissie. I do a lot of work up there (fly every week) and the lifestyle is pretty laid back. You just need a car to get anywhere - public transport there is dire, but then you'll be leaving the number 8 into the Arndale behind, so who cares anyway! Get some great electrical storms this time of year in Brissie. Interesting comment about parking. It's typically true that parking is free outside CBD's and Council's over here seem to have an interest in their local residents actually enjoying the local environment. Free BBQ's near parking lots - which are cleaned on a regular basis. In Melbourne, you see families and friends using them all the time. Whilst you do have to pay to park alongside Beach Road in Melbourne, its the equivalent of about 3 quid a day (7 bucks). Residents can get a yearly foreshore permit for 21 bucks - which is great because I windsurf at St Kilda 2 or 3 times a week. Without wishing to beat up on Blighty, I used to find it abhorent that council's screwed even the most minor parking offence with ridiculously high fines. I remember all too well being hit with a parking ticket of 85 quid back in 2002 at Greenwich Park in South London. Bank Holiday Monday, on a single yellow line with parking restrictions lifted on weekends - we assumed, like dozens of others (mugs, the lot of us), that it was also OK to park on a public holiday. Rammed with families. The Council did every single car. Kids crying as dad got angy....lots of dads getting very angy. Day ruined. An expensive trip to kick a footie in the park. Mean spirited. For info, I'm a Salford lad - Swinton - going back on Wednesday for a two week 'holiday' with the new baby. Don't ask...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benchola
You'll love Brissie. I do a lot of work up there (fly every week) and the lifestyle is pretty laid back. You just need a car to get anywhere - public transport there is dire, but then you'll be leaving the number 8 into the Arndale behind, so who cares anyway! Get some great electrical storms this time of year in Brissie. Interesting comment about parking. It's typically true that parking is free outside CBD's and Council's over here seem to have an interest in their local residents actually enjoying the local environment. Free BBQ's near parking lots - which are cleaned on a regular basis. In Melbourne, you see families and friends using them all the time. Whilst you do have to pay to park alongside Beach Road in Melbourne, its the equivalent of about 3 quid a day (7 bucks). Residents can get a yearly foreshore permit for 21 bucks - which is great because I windsurf at St Kilda 2 or 3 times a week. Without wishing to beat up on Blighty, I used to find it abhorent that council's screwed even the most minor parking offence with ridiculously high fines. I remember all too well being hit with a parking ticket of 85 quid back in 2002 at Greenwich Park in South London. Bank Holiday Monday, on a single yellow line with parking restrictions lifted on weekends - we assumed, like dozens of others (mugs, the lot of us), that it was also OK to park on a public holiday. Rammed with families. The Council did every single car. Kids crying as dad got angy....lots of dads getting very angy. Day ruined. An expensive trip to kick a footie in the park. Mean spirited. For info, I'm a Salford lad - Swinton - going back on Wednesday for a two week 'holiday' with the new baby. Don't ask...

:biglaugh:

Hope you have a good trip back this way.

Hi Lee, Bronagh & girls

We thought you came across great on Relocation - it was a joy to watch after all the negative WDU shows!

We thought you chose the right house too hope you are enjoying ozzie life!

We have our 176 visas and are also hoping to settle in Quinns Rocks - we were staying there last October validating our visas and just cannot wait to be there!

We are just waiting for our house to sell and we will be there in a flash - it is soooooo frustrating waiting!

We have watched Relocation three times and are driving ourselves mad wanting to be there!

Sue

Friday 5th February 20:00 RELOCATION: PHIL DOWN UNDER

Phil hunts for property on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, with a cool one million dollar budget, digs into his own family history and helps out at one of the country's finest wineries.

Million Dollar budget & Wineries.....

2008-05-27-1MillionDollars.gif What a great combination! san-diego-party-bus-wine-tours.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WelshCouple

most channel 4 programmes are repeated a couple of weeks later on More 4 or More 4+1..but not sure about relocation relocaton..sorry. how about iplayer???

hope this helps clare x

Guest rachellh

Finally got around to watching the first program in Perth, and although I LOVE Phil and the UK version of LLL, I personally thought this show was a bit misleading and some of the info was out of date - especially that the home buyers grant is no longer about GBP6300, it's now only $7000. That's a big drop in help.

The high stamp duty you have to pay should have been mentioned, as that can add on a hefty whack when buying a house. Also, unlike the UK, where you can pull out of a sale if you change your mind, here you can't. Once your offer has been accepted, then subject to finance etc, you have to go through with the sale (and the buyer has to sell it to you). You can't just see a better house down the road and change your mind.

This isn't a bad thing, especially as the buyer can't then sell it for a higher price, but if you are prone to making impulsive decisions and jumping in before your heart has calculated what your wallet can afford, then you need to be very careful about making offers on a house. I would have expected them to talk about this a little bit more, especially as in the UK program it seems that 75% of the people they feature pull out of the sale after filming stops..

Apart from that, the program was OK, though we spent most of it shaking our head and laughing at what a narrow look it gives at life here. Sun, sun, sun, beach, beach, beach. I know that, unlike WDU, it's only looking at the house side of things, but still.

Living in the sunshine in Perth is a bit like living in a cake shop - at first the endless supply of free muffins may seem like the best thing since sliced bread, after a while the novelty wears off and they just make you fat. After a while, the sunshine here just brings on a headache and gives you cancer!

At least Phil did have some honest feedback on the place - that the winter months here are a shocker, and the cost of living is now only just slighter cheaper than living in London.

Hands up all those who could actually afford to live in London.... hmmm, me neither.

Rachel :biggrin:

Re 'Racelleh'

'I personally thought this show was a bit misleading and some of the info was out of date '

The programmes were done almost a year ago, so right or wrong on the commentary side by Phil, what he says is how it was at the time and it is mentioned that the prices etc are at whatever time.

Perth, the remotest city in the world where it seems the Brits, the Welsh, the Scots and the Irish have their own enclaves. Been across and do not like it.

Phil Down Under was a series of 4 programmes finding a property for people already down here and working. The rest of it was simply extra added fill in really to make the hour up.

One only has to watch the WDU series and 99% of those that had a week downunder gave the second reason for coming down was for the sun and climate.

An Oz winter other than down in the Southern Highlands and around Cooma, Tumut etc equates to a UK good summer normally. Yes there is rain and winds and it does drop to coolish (Canberra freezing) but an Oz winter is never in a million years a 'shocker'.

The cost of living in all the major cities across Oz is well on a par with UK in most things now. There is a big difference to living and working on London as there is with any major city in Oz.

As has been pointed out across both BBC and Channel 4 programmes by would future Oz people, the wages are well below UK in most jobs, house build leaves a lot to be desired in quality.

That said there are 1000's who come down every year. It would be interesting to know just how many go back and especially in the whole series of WDU, just how many made the move and stayed.

Guest rachellh
Re 'Racelleh'

'I personally thought this show was a bit misleading and some of the info was out of date '

The programmes were done almost a year ago, so right or wrong on the commentary side by Phil, what he says is how it was at the time and it is mentioned that the prices etc are at whatever time.

Perth, the remotest city in the world where it seems the Brits, the Welsh, the Scots and the Irish have their own enclaves. Been across and do not like it.

Phil Down Under was a series of 4 programmes finding a property for people already down here and working. The rest of it was simply extra added fill in really to make the hour up.

One only has to watch the WDU series and 99% of those that had a week downunder gave the second reason for coming down was for the sun and climate.

An Oz winter other than down in the Southern Highlands and around Cooma, Tumut etc equates to a UK good summer normally. Yes there is rain and winds and it does drop to coolish (Canberra freezing) but an Oz winter is never in a million years a 'shocker'.

The cost of living in all the major cities across Oz is well on a par with UK in most things now. There is a big difference to living and working on London as there is with any major city in Oz.

As has been pointed out across both BBC and Channel 4 programmes by would future Oz people, the wages are well below UK in most jobs, house build leaves a lot to be desired in quality.

That said there are 1000's who come down every year. It would be interesting to know just how many go back and especially in the whole series of WDU, just how many made the move and stayed.

To be honest I didn't really understand a lot of the post, but from what I did:

I know the program was not filmed recently, but nothing has changed in the last year re the stamp duty and the way houses are sold. Perhaps program such as this should add up-to-date info at the end...

And as for the winter not being a shocker. Well surely that's a personal matter of opinion? For me, having our garage door blown OFF the hinges, our front door blown open and large hailstones all the way down our hall was a shocker. The temperature, especially at night, does get very cold here and it can tip down with torrential rain every day for months. Not saying it's any different to the UK, just that winters here aren't pleasant... Like I said, it was a personal opinion, not really an official weather forecast!

That was your post Racellh which I replied to.

I was not giving a weather forecast simply comparing. Your 'weather' experience and damage is possibly due to the property build as most Oz properties are not to the standard as UK ones.

'it can tip down with torrential rain every day for months', you post, a little bit of an exaggeration I think.

When you get the rains and snows like they have had in UK and what follows on with snow melt and flooding then we in Oz could complain. Till then other than the East coast last year we have it pretty good.

That said even with low wages and occasional rain the Poms still come down in droves seeking the sun.

To be honest I didn't really understand a lot of the post, but from what I did:

I know the program was not filmed recently, but nothing has changed in the last year re the stamp duty and the way houses are sold. Perhaps program such as this should add up-to-date info at the end...

And as for the winter not being a shocker. Well surely that's a personal matter of opinion? For me, having our garage door blown OFF the hinges, our front door blown open and large hailstones all the way down our hall was a shocker. The temperature, especially at night, does get very cold here and it can tip down with torrential rain every day for months. Not saying it's any different to the UK, just that winters here aren't pleasant... Like I said, it was a personal opinion, not really an official weather forecast!

Have seen Amaroo's response to your posts above ..... for what its worth, dont bite, is my advice

Read your blog on travelling with kids..... Gulp !.... In 3 weeks time the Missus and I are off to Brisbane and Sydney for a couple of weeks with our 22 month year old daughter on our laps !!! Somehow I dont think the Pepper Pig DVD's will cut it at 40,000ft

JT

Guest rachellh
Have seen Amaroo's response to your posts above ..... for what its worth, dont bite, is my advice

Read your blog on travelling with kids..... Gulp !.... In 3 weeks time the Missus and I are off to Brisbane and Sydney for a couple of weeks with our 22 month year old daughter on our laps !!! Somehow I dont think the Pepper Pig DVD's will cut it at 40,000ft

JT

Hi JT

I know, it's really not worth wearing my teeth down is it! I'm sure your daughter will be just fine - and Pepper Pig will do her thing! If in doubt give her a drop of something to make her sleepy, it normally does the trick!

Good luck!

Guest rosered
we watched an episode the other day and to quote " and just 3 weeks later they were in Australia" seemed to really anger me!

it shouldn't really and im sure it was truthful, however it really does not reflect the stress and daily scanning of our emails from us mere mortals taking years to do it!!

:arghh:

rant over

I think this show differs from WDU though in that the people already have jobs & visas sorted, some are already living there, children at school etc but they have decided it's time to buy rather than rent. It's really just another property program rather than an emigration show.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

we just love Phil Downunder, because he just mainly looks at and talks about houses and unlike WDU he looks for a bargain and tries to get the house cheaper. He shows us wannabe migrants that a piece of Awesome Aussie realestate is not just a dream, but can be a reality and we like it when he goes back and sees them living in their fabulous new houses after they have made them look brilliant. Give us more Phil.

jim

• 1 month later...

Just watched the Perth show here this week and it does make the place look very nice. As nice as it is in fact.

However, as someone who is currently looking to buy in the suburbs where they were looking, I couldn't fathom the prices shown. A moniker at the end of the show stated that the prices 'were as at Dec 09' i.e. 5 months ago. When they were viewing the Mindarie property, "5 minutes walk from the Marina", the price stated was 300k pounds i.e. about $510k in Dec 09 money. Let me assure you that a Mindarie house, 5 minutes walk from the Marina, on a block that size, with a pool and a garden like that, ain't anything like $510k. Try $850k for starters. There are houses in Mindarie for about $550k+ but they are a good walk from the Marina and won't be anthing like the one in the show. I struggled to come to terms with the valuation of the Quinns one as well, it seemed to be off Camira Way and it is very expensive round there. Ocean Reef has gone through the roof as well as plans were announced last year to build a new $800m Marina there. So, no bargains.

Any ideas?

Guest chris955

I have only watched one show and didn't really think much of it, I enjoy the UK version but this one was just Phil showing loads of great stuff and saying things like 'what more could you want ?' The show does not represent how the average family lives and I agree the prices seemed to be way out.

'Chris 955'

You have hit the nail on the head. It is a good show for showing different Oz properties but is very selective indeed on what is chosen to be filmed for the programme. I would suggest that the people are not Mr and Mrs 'Average' of the house searching market.

As posted earlier, the people in this programme are in the main already resident in Oz, working and settled other than wanting a house. Whereas WDU the people are still in UK and have little or no idea of housing in Oz.

Guest Skerly

I watched the Melbourne one last night and whilst the couple themselves seemed like a lovely sort TBH I thought the houses he showed them were really naff - esp. the last one - holy moley, it was barf...! From the outside looked like it's last owner was Ivan Mallat... And that 'communal hot tub' in the one they bought....!?! Thank God they wanted that eyesore removed...

I know the areas where they were last night and they are very pretty villages (pity he didn't show them one in Olinda), but what a lot of viewers won't realise in the UK is that's a fairly remote place to be looking at living in relation to Melbourne itself. If you were coming out here as a city worker it would take you a decent 1 hour 20 minute drive in peak hour transport to most of these villages (i.e. Emerald) where he showing them. That bloke was working in Ferntree Gully which is fairly East of the CBD.

I understand a lot of the people who'd be coming out to Oz on certain working visas may not be based in the city but the impression all these relocation TV shows tends to give a lot of the times is a false one. Sure for AUD$400K you can buy a 4 or 5 bedroom house with a massive outdoor entertaining area, garden for the kids, pool, etc. in Melbourne, Brisbane, etc. but it'll be miles from the actual city in either a rural setting or in a conveyor-belt-new-build aka middle-of-nowhere area where you have to commutes ages to work there and back everyday...

I really love 'Location, Location, Location' and Phil Spencer - think he has a great TV presence, but one other thing I thought was awful about the show was the showing of 'Australia's most amazing houses' - I don't know WHERE they got last nights examples - other than off the set of Barbarella with one of them, but these are most certainly NOT fine examples of excellent Aussie architecture and interior design. I was cringing thinking people at home would be watching some of them.

They do however really sell the image of Australia very well on this show - cuddly Koalas, shots of the Harbour bridge with pristine blue sky above, sunny beaches etc etc...

The programmes were shown in UK about 6 months ago.

As a regular visitor to Oz and going to all the major cities across Oz I have a fair idea if how Oz is.

Phil's and WDU are good promotional programmes for the Australian Tourist Board. I would suspect that Phil's proramme more than WDU is well rehearsed before filming and even more carefully researched. To me it is not the typical Pom emigrating to Oz property hunter progamme. As I have said prior, the people are normally settled and already working in Oz. They answer an advert for the show and away we go. Good TV and not much else.

Phil's wife is an Oz and I believe he could be but went to UK to live, his parents live in Oz.

I have stayed in multi million $ homes and the ordinary 1 storey type. The big ones are for Oz and Oz only, they would not suit anywhere else. On top of which the same in UK built to Oz standard of build would be unlikely to pass many UK building regulations.

Phil's shows are obviously filmed over a period of a month or so then editied so he is in Melbourne one minute in a kitchen then on Sydney harbour the next looking at the waterfront houses.

Good viewing for a cold winter's UK evening.

Archived