Motorbikes in Oz?

SUPERSTARDJ01

Depends where you are I suppose. I'm in Melbourne haven't bought a bike here yet but the missus bought a hornet for work $3600 for a 10 year old bike (definitely worth bringing your own out even if it costs a bit more to rego it etc at least you know the history.) She refuses to go out on it at temps over 25-26 too much like having a hairdryer on you - even with airflow gear on but there are plenty of days you can get out and ride there are some really good roads once you get out of the city.

It also depends if its a toy or transport to work, that’s the main reason the missus doesn't like using it as you get a shower get ready for work then turn up a sweaty mess the other end because you've been cooking in rush hour traffic.

You could try biking the ozzie way, busa with vest, shorts and flip-flops - yes we have seen it more than once. I suppose its ok, they aren't going to crash / come off / get wiped out by a Ute.

I was going to make a comment about the whole biking in flip-flops thing, obviously their gear shift is a lot smoother than mine!

There's more of a market for kevlar-reinforced denim over here than in the UK, it'll stay intact for about 7-10 seconds or rolling over asphalt apparently, and is way cooler than leather. Personally I wear motorcross cords with the double liner and air vents, never found it too hot.

Hi,

I have a zx6r 04 and love it to bits if we were to ever emigrate I would like to ship over but what's it like biking in oz with the weather? Is it just too hot?

I agree it would depend a lot on where you lived as Oz varies so much in temperature.

My OH has ridden motorbikes for nearly 40 years. He only ever uses the "too hot" line when it 's around 30 deg C and above - the heat coming off the asphalt can be greater than the cooling effect of moving.

He wears the kevlar reinforced denims rather than leathers.

He sometimes doesn't ride because it's too cold - but we live in Tasmania. However this could also sometimes apply in Victoria or the southern NSW - Canberra area.

Hi Its Ratchet on chris's log in.

I ride a hornet over here for work.(yet to get out at the weekend...tsk) Usually in jeans and my richa airflow. Its just do'able when the temp gets to 28c but over that you struggle to breath with a full face lid. The guys over here say all this stuff about keeping hydrated etc, but it doesnt work when your sat at lights in the CBD trying to get home sat in direct sun, desperate to get the bloody lid off your head.

as chris says most are in singlet t-shirts and shorts, some take precautions and wear trainers.:confused: Mad Mad Mad. You do find some in leathers but not many. Maybe in winter??

The drivers out here dont see you, you risk life and limb out on the main roads. Little lane discipline means you have cars coming from you at all directions on the freeways/highways.

Despite having said all this. in VIC, once you get out the suburbs the roads are beautiful to ride on. lots of hills with 90bends, well nice:jiggy:

Hi Its Ratchet on chris's log in.

I ride a hornet over here for work.(yet to get out at the weekend...tsk) Usually in jeans and my richa airflow. Its just do'able when the temp gets to 28c but over that you struggle to breath with a full face lid. The guys over here say all this stuff about keeping hydrated etc, but it doesnt work when your sat at lights in the CBD trying to get home sat in direct sun, desperate to get the bloody lid off your head.

as chris says most are in singlet t-shirts and shorts, some take precautions and wear trainers.:confused: Mad Mad Mad. You do find some in leathers but not many. Maybe in winter??

The drivers out here dont see you, you risk life and limb out on the main roads. Little lane discipline means you have cars coming from you at all directions on the freeways/highways.

Despite having said all this. in VIC, once you get out the suburbs the roads are beautiful to ride on. lots of hills with 90bends, well nice:jiggy:

PS - Bikes and kits is bloody expensive out here!

I have to agree with some of the other comments, i left the UK after having an SV650, and moved on to a VTR 1000F out here. The roads are great to ride on outside the cities. But you have to be aware that you aren't allowed to filter here, it's frowned upon here. I love going out at weekends for a ride. Police are also hot on speed limits here as well, so just take it easy. Be aware though that it can be more hassle than it's worth bringing your bike over. It could be just as expencive as buying a new bike.

My 5 cents worth owt over 230 is a waste of time i got a cruiser 750 mainly i commutr 140 kms round trip speed limits are a joke , if i had brought my precious over would be on a ban ( speeding ) perth freeway whiteling is a necessity and the car drivers dony get me started worn my toe sliders(steel ) on car doors ) they are dealin with me fook en, the attitude to bikes is crap un;ess you are on a criuser harley with piss pot helmet etc ( bikie0 folloerd a coffin cheater down the freeway was loke following moses down the red sea

How much does it roughly cost to register a UK model in Oz?

Motor vehicle licencing is a state responsibility so every state has different fees and charges. We pay $557 for a new registration, $542 for a reregistration (in Tasmania), but the bulk of that is made up of (compulstory) Motor Accident Insurance premium. I think some other states (eg. Queensland) are cheaper, but probably not a whole lot once the compulsory motor accident insurance is included.

If you want to bring your own bike over, be prepared to jump through a series of hoops - see

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/importguidePrivOwnMV.pdf

I looked into it and all the hassel beforehand put me off. From what it sounds like you have to have everything as new i.e. no greese or grime anywhere including chain, as well as the cost of getting it there as well as getting it a compliance plate etc, trust me it's easier to sell your bike and buy a new one (unless it's a one of a kind etc). If you manage to do it then great! but it really isn't worth the hassle

OMG! Just looked at the same bike as mine Kawasaki ZX636 2004 B2H mine has 14000 miles on clock and cost £3895 probably worth £3200-£3500 now and in Oz the same bike but with 1000 miles more on clock standard (which mine is not) is $8700 (roughly £4952) OUCH!!!!

But by the time you pay taxes, shipping, roadworty tests, rego etc etc, its cheaper to buy here, and the most important thing, you could be riding within 2-3 days of arriving in Oz, and not waiting 6-10 weeks for the container & the another few weeks for the paperwork etc :wink:

Some bikes are worth bringing, but dont forget also, all prices you see on Australian websites are negotiable, and at the moment VERY negotiable with new bikes at dealers or private sale for 2nd hand.

Drivers over here are definitely not very aware of other road users in general. Bikes, cyclists etc, so you really do need to have eyes in your backside.

A friend of mine regularly pops in on his Hardley wearing t-shirt, shorts & CLOGS! But I did recently read about an Indian company producing safety sandals that are specifically for riding motorcycles, so we can all soon be safely riding in thongs without any worries at all :chatterbox:

I dont actually see that many riders in shorts/trainers etc, but if I do, its young kids on sporties in general. I must admit I am a bad example sometimes wearing just a tee, but always have my kevlar jeans on, and either ankle high boots or riding boots. I've ridden in 40 degree temps (long distance runs outside the city) , and its fine unless you need to stop, then it just hits you like a furnace, but you cool off nicely again when you pull away again.

I have the luck of living on the edge of Victorias biggest motorbike playground with Kinglake, the black spur, reefton spur and many more fantastic riding areas all around me.

The black spur.

YouTube - Ride the best road in the world - Black Spur

Dont try this on a weekend though, unmarked cars & bikes everywhere. I even saw mr plod on a heavily chromed Harley last time.

Hi,

I have a zx6r 04 and love it to bits if we were to ever emigrate I would like to ship over but what's it like biking in oz with the weather? Is it just too hot?

im in sydney and in summer the it is only hot about 3-4 days a week. there is plenty of weather when its overrcast and so on.

It humid though..

i have a SCOOTER though, which some of my aussie colleagues made some comment about ruiing my manhood rep etc

Just watched the video and I so wish I lived closer to the black spurr. I might have to go for a weekend ride down there

Do the reefton spur. Less well know, so less tourists & coppers & much more fun.

If you ever head up this way, give me a shout. I'll show you the back way into Healsville through some real nice roads.

Well, I guess I'm gonna leave my Hornet here :( I am not sure if its worth the hassle. I drive here in 30 degrees temp at times and its no biggy really, like Furkew said.

I also lived in melbourne for a while and never had a problem with weather. Used to commute to CBD everyday, sun or rain. You just need to adapt :)

As for protective cloths, I always wore a leather jacket and good boots, but if I go for short distances, then I might abuse and wear light clothing.

Cant wait to go for those long rides with the bike again on weekends...oh man...I missed it so much!!!

Cheers

B!k3R

• 4 weeks later...
Do the reefton spur. Less well know, so less tourists & coppers & much more fun.

If you ever head up this way, give me a shout. I'll show you the back way into Healsville through some real nice roads.

Hi, just watched the video, f**kin awesome.

Just been offered a job in Bayswater area of Melbourne as a transfer with work and am planning bring my 08 Superduke with me. After watching that vid I can't wait am getting giddy just thinkin about it.

cheers Furkew you've just "sealed the deal", I'm now 200% convinced about Oz, rather than just 150% before tha I was before!!. :notworthy:

Does anyone know what paperwork I'll need to get before shipping the bike over to Oz? Do I need to arrange anything before hand or can I do it all when I arrive? Will they release it from customs if there's some form or other I need before?

It is really only economical to bring a bike over if it is a bit special to be honest. I have done it with a few bikes but the fact that they were rare made it worthwhile. I don't ride here anymore, the roads are just too dangerous as the drivers are crazy. As has been said lane discipline is largely non existent and most drivers seem to have no idea what they are doing. Also the Police love speeders, in Victoria a couple of k's over is a fine.

Rob, all paperwork MUST be done BEFORE the bike leaves the UK. Just Google importing a vehicle into Australia.

Hi, just watched the video, f**kin awesome.

Just been offered a job in Bayswater area of Melbourne as a transfer with work and am planning bring my 08 Superduke with me. After watching that vid I can't wait am getting giddy just thinkin about it.

cheers Furkew you've just "sealed the deal", I'm now 200% convinced about Oz, rather than just 150% before tha I was before!!. :notworthy:

I was down the spur last week, and got pinged by a couple of plods hiding in the bushes :mad: 3 points & $260.00 fine

On Saturday & Sundays they are out in force, I even saw a plain clothes copper on a blinged out Harley a couple of weeks ago.

If you live more towards the outer side of town, the Spur, Kinglake and plenty of other great riding areas are just down the road.

Does anyone know what paperwork I'll need to get before shipping the bike over to Oz? Do I need to arrange anything before hand or can I do it all when I arrive? Will they release it from customs if there's some form or other I need before?

It's quite a complex procedure, and lots of hoops to jump through.

Read this for starters:

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/importguidePrivOwnMV.pdf

Archived