Motorbikes in Oz?

SUPERSTARDJ01

Guest fearfactory

Lads, I know your saying that unless ur bike is a little special then there is no point. Ive got a 1997 Ducati 916 SPS in pristine condition and want to bring her with me since i intend staying for 5+ years. Wouldnt go without it to be honest. Ive got a quote of nearly 1.5k euro to Perth from Ireland but any idea of the cost to get it on the road?? The PDF link attached is waaaaaaaaaay over the head.

Guest Rob c
Hi Its Ratchet on chris's log in.

I ride a hornet over here for work.(yet to get out at the weekend...tsk) Usually in jeans and my richa airflow. Its just do'able when the temp gets to 28c but over that you struggle to breath with a full face lid. The guys over here say all this stuff about keeping hydrated etc, but it doesnt work when your sat at lights in the CBD trying to get home sat in direct sun, desperate to get the bloody lid off your head.

as chris says most are in singlet t-shirts and shorts, some take precautions and wear trainers.:confused: Mad Mad Mad. You do find some in leathers but not many. Maybe in winter??

The drivers out here dont see you, you risk life and limb out on the main roads. Little lane discipline means you have cars coming from you at all directions on the freeways/highways.

Despite having said all this. in VIC, once you get out the suburbs the roads are beautiful to ride on. lots of hills with 90bends, well nice:jiggy:

Sounds about the same as riding in London really, just without the heat and all the leathers!!:wacko:

Lads, I know your saying that unless ur bike is a little special then there is no point. Ive got a 1997 Ducati 916 SPS in pristine condition and want to bring her with me since i intend staying for 5+ years. Wouldnt go without it to be honest. Ive got a quote of nearly 1.5k euro to Perth from Ireland but any idea of the cost to get it on the road?? The PDF link attached is waaaaaaaaaay over the head.

Am gonna bring my KTM Superduke with me which is nearly 2 years old. looking at the calculations in the document it works out at around £1100 that is assuming that the transport costs are around say £300 which is the extra charge for crating and insurance as I'm going to put it in the container with our furniture. That is based on a market value of $14000 in Oz. The document states that motorcycles are exempt from Customs duty (which is 10% of the value) so you only have to pay GST (10%) of the market value of the bike plus GST on the transport costs and insurance. Then you have registration and insurance costs to get it on the road. Say $1000 ?!?

Does this sound about right? A friend who moved to Melbourne from UK 2 years ago paid $1200 import duties on his bike.

Got this reply off Minlady on another thread about bike imports and what happens when your bike arrives in OZ. check it out at http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/22220-advice-motorbike-import-permit-needed-please-2.html#post700259

Can anyone advise me on price of tyres in Oz as I need a new rear now, so was thinking of buying another pair while I'm at it and putting then in the container. Am looking at Pirelli Diablo Corsa III 's 120/70-17 front and 180/55-17 rear. Price in UK is £90 ($150) and £120 ($200) resp. each.

cheers in advance.

Got this reply off Minlady on another thread about bike imports and what happens when your bike arrives in OZ. check it out at http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/22220-advice-motorbike-import-permit-needed-please-2.html#post700259

Can anyone advise me on price of tyres in Oz as I need a new rear now, so was thinking of buying another pair while I'm at it and putting then in the container. Am looking at Pirelli Diablo Corsa III 's 120/70-17 front and 180/55-17 rear. Price in UK is £90 ($150) and £120 ($200) resp. each.

cheers in advance.

Rob... stick a new rear hoop on now because the price difference isnt that great...might be slightly cheaper in australia...but it will save you the hassel of getting to a new country and finding a good dealer to fit tyres etc when really you just want to get it over the pit and passed so you can ride it in Aus... my advise, fit the tyre dont take spares..

min x:wubclub:

Archived