Who's going to Melbourne

Guest Abi&Dan

Visa sorted. Should be on a flight in on or around the 11th of Feb. Marvellous!

Freebo, I do sales/business development type stuff for .NET development tools. I work for a large US software company – you can probably guess which one J

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sanda

Lonely in Traralgon. Not settled well after loving life in Queensland it has been a shock full of strange looking people, losers and down and outs? Moe and Morwell really bad. Schools are underfunded (I'm paying for a private school and even that is not as good as the state school my son had just started in UK before we left, What have I done?) Just feel so out of place. Is anyone else feeling like this. I feel like a snob here... but I don't want to live with these type of people or have my son exposed to them or the dirt brown coal power stations. It took my husband so long to get a job that in the end we needed the money as the exchange rate was just getting worse we decided to move so he could work (cost us so much to move again!). I really regret coming to Australia now. I really don't want to feel like this. But my husband works on aircraft so his options were limited as most companies require citzenship to work for them. I'm not sure I can bear to stay here long enough to get that citzenship and then pray he can get a job somewhere nicer.

Is there anyone from this area who can put a postive spin on it? Or met up at the park. Last time I went there a boy tried to take my son's bike and had a fit when I told him off. Upset my son and me, have not been back since, just play by ourselves in the yard instead.

Guest diannewo
flying out 23rd january 2010 just hope i get it all done xxxxxxx cant wait till i am on plane and cant do anymore !!!!!!so we can join paul who been working out there 7 weeks xxx

kids cant wait to see dad

carole and kids xx

Hi Carole hope you and the kids arrived safely I have been in oz since jan 2011 and we moved from north wales WREXHAM and haven't spoken to any welshies here yet.we are living in a place called Hoppers Crossing about 30 mins out of the city.my hubby is a cnc metal machinist( whatever that means ha ha) and i was a childminder at home but not working as yet because my qualifications aren't reconised here so will have to re train.my 17 year daughter had to go back a year to year 11 in school but really enjoys it so only me with a sour face!!! where are you looking to live? if it's too far away it would still be nice to chat via poms.hope everything works out Dianne:biggrin:

Lonely in Traralgon. Not settled well after loving life in Queensland it has been a shock full of strange looking people, losers and down and outs? Moe and Morwell really bad. Schools are underfunded (I'm paying for a private school and even that is not as good as the state school my son had just started in UK before we left, What have I done?) Just feel so out of place. Is anyone else feeling like this. I feel like a snob here... but I don't want to live with these type of people or have my son exposed to them or the dirt brown coal power stations. It took my husband so long to get a job that in the end we needed the money as the exchange rate was just getting worse we decided to move so he could work (cost us so much to move again!). I really regret coming to Australia now. I really don't want to feel like this. But my husband works on aircraft so his options were limited as most companies require citzenship to work for them. I'm not sure I can bear to stay here long enough to get that citzenship and then pray he can get a job somewhere nicer.

Is there anyone from this area who can put a postive spin on it? Or met up at the park. Last time I went there a boy tried to take my son's bike and had a fit when I told him off. Upset my son and me, have not been back since, just play by ourselves in the yard instead.

Hi

Sounds like you need to move somewhere, I have never been that far out of Melbourne. The furthest I have been in that direction is Drouin, it seems like a nice place. Is there no way you could move to somewhere like that and your OH travel a bit to work? I dont know anyone in that area sorry.

You are obviously both trying your best to make things work out in Australia. So think of trying to turn things around and make the best of a bad situation until you get the chance to move on again.

Have you thought of launching yourself into the voluntary sector in Traralgon?

That doesn't have to be working in an opshop - there are lots of opportunities that stretch the mind. In the past I helped in the running of a school canteen (tiny school, mind you) involved buying fresh ingredients and making sandwiches etc and a 'healthy' tuck shop- no cooking involved! Ask at your son's school. Or offer your skills to the local community centre. It takes guts and a bit of commitment but might save your sanity in the short term and put you in contact with some good people - they can't all be bike thieves.

Best of luck

Cath

Guest sanda

I am feeling like this is a disaster, I had a good career in the UK and parents for support now I'm here and looking at paper rounds? No wonder I am questioning this move... I feel I have let my son down. just need a little bit of luck the exchange getting better would help...

You are obviously both trying your best to make things work out in Australia. So think of trying to turn things around and make the best of a bad situation until you get the chance to move on again.

Have you thought of launching yourself into the voluntary sector in Traralgon?

That doesn't have to be working in an opshop - there are lots of opportunities that stretch the mind. In the past I helped in the running of a school canteen (tiny school, mind you) involved buying fresh ingredients and making sandwiches etc and a 'healthy' tuck shop- no cooking involved! Ask at your son's school. Or offer your skills to the local community centre. It takes guts and a bit of commitment but might save your sanity in the short term and put you in contact with some good people - they can't all be bike thieves.

Best of luck

Cath

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sue du Rose

hi we have just got our CO and have medicals booked for 13th April house up for sale and hoping to go october time to somewhere round mornington mount eliza no job to go to OH a carpenter and i am a special needs TA 2 children sophie 11 will start high school (in oz in Feb) Mark 8 currently in year 4 started a MEGA diet (again) would like to keep in touch with people who are moving that way no family in oz but have friend in Glen Iris

sue adam sophie and mark (currently live Formby Liverpool)

I am feeling like this is a disaster, I had a good career in the UK and parents for support now I'm here and looking at paper rounds? No wonder I am questioning this move... I feel I have let my son down. just need a little bit of luck the exchange getting better would help...

Unfortunately the Latrobe Valley suffered when power was privatised and a lot of people lost their jobs in the reshuffles. The property is cheaper there so it attracts people whose income is less.

Only thing I could say that you cannot judge Vic Melbourne by the Valley and if your oh could get a job in the Melbourne area you would find that its a nice place to live.

I always think of the Valley when I see the threads from social workers who are required in Gippsland and I think yes, the Valley. Um

Good luck

hi we have just got our CO and have medicals booked for 13th April house up for sale and hoping to go october time to somewhere round mornington mount eliza no job to go to OH a carpenter and i am a special needs TA 2 children sophie 11 will start high school (in oz in Feb) Mark 8 currently in year 4 started a MEGA diet (again) would like to keep in touch with people who are moving that way no family in oz but have friend in Glen Iris

sue adam sophie and mark (currently live Formby Liverpool)

Geelong is a nice area it has been refurbished and is completely different to how it used to be and there are a lot of nice areas where you could live and still have access to Geelong. Quite a few Brits living in the area too.

• 1 month later...

I have just arrived Saturday, and currently in Frankston with my partner's sister, trying to score jobs for both of us. And already have an interview lined up on Wednesday (tomorrow) in the city, going to be a 2 hr journey from where we are! And that means leaving the house at 6am LOL.

We're looking around Toorak or St Kilda area to live in, about $350 pw budget would be just nice for us. So excited at the moment, and COLD! :/

• 1 month later...
Guest pandr

Hi, we are arriving 25th August - yey! Hoping to rent along the beach somewhere along the east side. We are in our early 30's with a 1 year old daughter. Does anyone know if there are any meet ups planned in the near future? Would love to meet other familes to have play dates.

Reanna x

Guest DaneD
I have just arrived Saturday, and currently in Frankston with my partner's sister, trying to score jobs for both of us. And already have an interview lined up on Wednesday (tomorrow) in the city, going to be a 2 hr journey from where we are! And that means leaving the house at 6am LOL.

We're looking around Toorak or St Kilda area to live in, about $350 pw budget would be just nice for us. So excited at the moment, and COLD! :/

i have a friend who lives in toorak, its a lovely area. she lives just off chapel street, so its a great location too. you have to check out the astor theatre, and get pizza at the lucky coq when youre in that part of town.

Just thought I'd jump on the Melbourne bandwagon too!! We (Hugo 39, Cecilia 36, Alicia 18mths & Digger the Boxer dog) hope to be heading Melbourne Sept/Oct. Company relocation on a 457 visa which hasn't been applied for yet but they seem confident in that timescale. Hope they're right as in expectation we put the house on the market Thurs last week and sold it on friday!! New family want to be in by the beginning of the school year so we'll have to camp with the relies for a few weeks. No idea where we're planning on settling in Melbourne yet but office is in South Yarra so got to be an easy commute. Assuming all goes to plan look forward to perhaps hooking up with some of you on the other side!!

Hugo

Hi hugo....we moved on a 457 and it took just 4 weeks after we were told to expect 6-10 weeks. Obviously depends a bit on who the agent is and how much your company is paying for their services....but it can certainly be done quickly. South Yarra is a nice spot.

Hi,

Just thought i'd introduce myself and elbow my way in on this thread! Moving to Melbourne on 1st August, and will be in Williamstown for the first 6 weeks, (supplied by the 457 company) then have my heart set on renting in Frankston and surrounds - have some family there so will be nice to have a bit of support about.

Ive been looking for meet ups/playgroups etc for my and my 4 year old to join but cant seem to locate anything. Just wanted something we could pop along to for an afternoon to take the boredom away when the hubby is at work etc.

Anyways, is there anyone else heading that way soon? Or does anyone know of anything happening I can gatecrash??

Emma x

Archived