Who's going to Melbourne

Guest Abi&Dan

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all we ( me , the wife and our two daughters) hope to be in melbourne by march 2009

visa;s should be through in a few months , we have sold the wife's hair salon , so just the house to sell . and find homes for our cats :sad:

cant wait , :cool:

Guest Les & Woz
hi all we ( me , the wife and our two daughters) hope to be in melbourne by march 2009

visa;s should be through in a few months , we have sold the wife's hair salon , so just the house to sell . and find homes for our cats :sad:

cant wait , :cool:

Hi

We must keep in touch as will all be there same time. We are going in March to validate whatever happens. We just hope we don't have to come back because we haven't sold the house, etc.

We have 3 cats. 2 persians and one moggy. Have found a home for one of the persians, he went yesterday:cry: Now we have 2 left. Also found homes for my 2 tortoises and fish tank. Just need to find a home for OH now - LOL

What area are you planning on going to? Have you been to Melbourne B4?

Lez:goofy:

defo about keeping in touch lez

we have never been to melbourne before we , backpacked round oz in 1999 but never got there , wish we had , but never mind everything we hear makes us think its the right place for us

as for picking an area in melbourne thats tricky i do like mornington , but i like the houses in point cook ,

not got any tortoises but i got rid of my fish tank last year :smile:

Guest Peterjay66

have arrived in melbourne and its been hectic to say the least have decided to settle in Sanctuary Lakes for know until we suss other areas out and its easy access to work, thought the traffic jams in Manchester where bad nothing compared the city here.

Guest Peteski76

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to move to Melbourne towards the end of this year. We're still waiting for our visa (I was told it was "ready for allocation to a Decision Maker for finalisation" on May 23rd :twitcy: ). Not sure how long the whole move thing will take as we have to sell up before we can go anywhere and we have 3 cats to bring too.

We're planning to live in Southbank for the first few months and then decide where we want to move on a more permanent basis.

Peter

Guest JayneG

hi, us too are bound for Melbourne, job offer (hopefully this week) Port Melbourne, anyone know of a nice surburb up to 25 miles away from port?

Some rentals are scary!! :policeman:

looking at up too 250$ week range

• 4 weeks later...
have arrived in melbourne and its been hectic to say the least have decided to settle in Sanctuary Lakes for know until we suss other areas out and its easy access to work, thought the traffic jams in Manchester where bad nothing compared the city here.

Hi,

I've looked at Sanctuary Lakes and wondered what it's like?

Debs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zagg

I'm moving to Melbourne in a few months!

Have just got to finalise the fine details of my work contract and sort out my notice period and hopefully I'll get there by October.

hi just wanted to ask if anyone could tell us what its like to live in these areas. lee and i and 3 daughters aged 2 4 and 7 hoping to move there in next 6 mnths. thanks

Mount Eliza is a lovely area and quite expensive, there is the beach side and the other side and both sides do have views for a price. There is a nice shopping centre, good schools and its very attractive area. Its close to Frankston, Mornington, Moorooduc, Baxter, Somerville, and the Peninsula in general. Lots of sporting facilities in the area for every type of sport you can think of. Have a look at Realestate.com.au and you will get an idea of the rental prices and house prices. Frankston South is a nice area to live and a lot of people also like living in Langwarrin.

Its an hour by train from the city and an hour by car but in the rush hour can be longer.

We have lived here on the Peninsula for 20 years moved here when the children were young meaning to move back into the city after a while but we love it so much we stayed and would not move nearer to the city.

There is an Arts Centre at Frankston where you can see a lot of good shows, opera, ballet etc. Restaurants are many in the area.

Beaches, wind surfing, surfing on the ocean side diving, yacht clubs if you are into water sport.

Happy to assist with any further information you may need. :cool:

Guest Zagg
Is it only families heading off to Melbourne, or any people on their own?

I'm coming on my own :yes:

Hopefully we will be if we ever get a CO, we hope to be heading somewhere between Geelong and Melbourne City Centre way, Hoppers crossing etc we are a Welsh couple (No sheep jokes please :>) LOL) in our early 30's and will need friends hubby likes to cycle and I like to kickbox or Gym...

Does anyone know of any good off road mountain bike clubs for the hubby? I dont want him to be kicked in the head by a passing wild kangaroo or a snake/spider up some random mountain, he's been told he must join a club for saftey reasons and learn about snake/spider bites etc first. I do know that there are mountains (not sure how to spell this now) UYang nearby (by Little river) we drove through and saw wild Kangaroos hopping about everywhere and a dead on on the road run over (Bless!), the hubby then tried a Kangaroo steak that night on the barby but could not get the dead one out of his mind so could not eat it LOL! I would not consider eating it anyway as they look to cute, I have a policy not to eat any animals that looks cute.

We currently have some friends in Melbourne and family in NZ but of cause will need more friends, otherwise it could be a lonely life with just 2 friends LOL .......

Guest Ed&Laura

Hi all, myself (27) and my 'defacto!' Laura (26) will be moving to Melbourne by mid September with any luck. Laura has accepted a job and is due to start 15th Sept...We are about to apply for the 457 visa and have been told by her work that it will take between 6-10 weeks - from what I've read it seems to vary...I am a qualified solicitor and am also waiting for my skills assessment although obviously our visa is not dependant on this.

We are currently keen on the Port Melbourne area - we quite like the beachside appartments - We want to be close to the CBD for work and also not that keen on 'suburnabising' just yet - want to experience Melbourne city life first!

Trying to sell the flat atm - 6 weeks no viewings - haven't ruled out letting it out - not going to let that stop us....

Look forward to meeting up with you guys for a beer soon - good luck all!

Hi there,

We are leaving for Melbourne on the 26th July! wanting to live in the Mornington area, but have not yet found any suitable accomodation for our large family. The rental market is really low at the moment. But have booked into holiday acccomodation for a few weeks when we arrive. Hopefully something will turn up!

We are the Crowters, Greg, Rachael, Henry (9) Neave (6) Faye (3) and a new arrival due the 4th Oct

Guest jonseywife

Hi all

As for the Crowthers family, have you tried looking at www.realestate.com.au for long term rentals, they hold most of the details for all the local estate agents.

You cant really secure one till your here as you have to do what they call a 100point ID check, ie., passport, drivers licence, visa, etc. You just have to trawl all the local agents as much as possible when you arrive, so they get to know your face and then you should secure your rental.

Good luck

Sally-ann

Guest Pinhead

I rented an apartment in Melbourne without going through any checks, providing references,etc at all. All I did was show my passport to the EA to prove my identity.

I rented an apartment in Melbourne without going through any checks, providing references,etc at all. All I did was show my passport to the EA to prove my identity.

when was this?

Guest Les & Woz

Hello !

We are going to Melbourne too - hoping March 09 if we can only sell the £*&$%^%&$&$ house !!

Les

Guest kali02
Hopefully we will be if we ever get a CO, we hope to be heading somewhere between Geelong and Melbourne City Centre way, Hoppers crossing etc we are a Welsh couple (No sheep jokes please :>) LOL) in our early 30's and will need friends hubby likes to cycle and I like to kickbox or Gym...

Does anyone know of any good off road mountain bike clubs for the hubby? I dont want him to be kicked in the head by a passing wild kangaroo or a snake/spider up some random mountain, he's been told he must join a club for saftey reasons and learn about snake/spider bites etc first. I do know that there are mountains (not sure how to spell this now) UYang nearby (by Little river) we drove through and saw wild Kangaroos hopping about everywhere and a dead on on the road run over (Bless!), the hubby then tried a Kangaroo steak that night on the barby but could not get the dead one out of his mind so could not eat it LOL! I would not consider eating it anyway as they look to cute, I have a policy not to eat any animals that looks cute.

We currently have some friends in Melbourne and family in NZ but of cause will need more friends, otherwise it could be a lonely life with just 2 friends LOL .......

Ooh! I didn't know you could go to a MTB club to learn about snake/spider stuff. My hubbie has been given some info on good places around Melbourne from one of the guys he will be working with (another Brit who moved out there a few years ago), but he didn't mention these club thingies. My hubby is a keen MTB'r but has been a wee bit worried about going on his own and getting ambushed (don't ask!) by a killer spider.

I can get him to provide info on the tracks if you can persuade your hubby to exchange for his info on clubs (if he has any)? :jiggy:

We're both early 30s too, Scottish though so again no sheep jokes, and should be out there around the end of September. My hubby is going to be working in Melbourne, but we would like to live out in the sticks a bit so are currently considering the Ferntree Gully area. It seems absolutely beautiful and there's lots of places for him to cycle, plus house prices are fairly reasonable because of the commute/distance into the CBD.

I will be a kept woman seeing as we've just had our first baby :wubclub:, so Ferntree Gully seems like a nice place to potter around in until our daughter is old enough for school.

We will be renting for a few years though so if the Ferntree area turns out to be too much of a commute for hubby dear, the other place we were looking at is the Mt Macedon area. Not quite as pretty I don't think, but we'll soon see!

Archived