Who's going to Melbourne

Guest Abi&Dan

My husband is a road cyclist and has a mountain bike and he rides the trails on his own and he has not been attacked by anything, depending on the trail its dodging the cylists and walkers with dogs :jiggy:He goes up the country and rides the rail trails with our son. Have a look on the web there are lots of them now. There are also lots of trails around Melbourne which are very popular.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MBUTELEC

hi every one were hoping to be in melbourne early 2009 ,was looking at frankston as wife as family there but lately been dranw to altona.got three kids 13 ,11 ,3 months the latter holding up our application somewhat or would have been there by now.its good someone started the melbourne thing as you need all the help and support you can get if youre to succeed out there and its always nice to have some one to share stories with at least early on any way

Emma's started a thread about people going to Brissy - and I got jealous!!

Therefore decided to start one for Melbourne (or anywhere in Vic s'long as you're willing to come into Melbourne for meet ups :biggrin: )

To start it off

Dan and Abi - ETA January 2009 (I'd come sooner if it wasn't for this damn fixed rate mortgage and needing every penny!!)

Next! ...

hi tess here, were hoping to be heading to melbourne ie cooks point area in jan 09. all for meets might need a freind to bend a ear! let me know when and where and i'll be there love tess xx:wubclub:

Guest kali02
My husband is a road cyclist and has a mountain bike and he rides the trails on his own and he has not been attacked by anything, depending on the trail its dodging the cylists and walkers with dogs :jiggy:He goes up the country and rides the rail trails with our son. Have a look on the web there are lots of them now. There are also lots of trails around Melbourne which are very popular.

That's good to hear and will probably be very reassuring for him! He's heard you need to get special insurance so you can get airlifted to hospital if anything happens, so any reassurance is good!!

Any chance your hubby would know where the trails around Melbourne area are?

Ooh! I didn't know you could go to a MTB club to learn about snake/spider stuff. My hubbie has been given some info on good places around Melbourne from one of the guys he will be working with (another Brit who moved out there a few years ago), but he didn't mention these club thingies. My hubby is a keen MTB'r but has been a wee bit worried about going on his own and getting ambushed (don't ask!) by a killer spider.

I can get him to provide info on the tracks if you can persuade your hubby to exchange for his info on clubs (if he has any)? :jiggy:

We're both early 30s too, Scottish though so again no sheep jokes, and should be out there around the end of September. My hubby is going to be working in Melbourne, but we would like to live out in the sticks a bit so are currently considering the Ferntree Gully area. It seems absolutely beautiful and there's lots of places for him to cycle, plus house prices are fairly reasonable because of the commute/distance into the CBD.

I will be a kept woman seeing as we've just had our first baby :wubclub:, so Ferntree Gully seems like a nice place to potter around in until our daughter is old enough for school.

We will be renting for a few years though so if the Ferntree area turns out to be too much of a commute for hubby dear, the other place we were looking at is the Mt Macedon area. Not quite as pretty I don't think, but we'll soon see!

Sure we will let you know about any mountain bike trails we find and clubs he did say there were some near Hoppers crossing way so I will keep you posted when I can get some information out of him LOL!

Guest kali02

Excellent :)

I'll get my OH to PM the info he received from his future colleague - unless anyone else might be interested, in which case we can post here?

HI Everyone, We are heading for Doncaster in Melbourne, there is my self 42 my partner 44 and two children the lad is 12 and my youngest girl is nearly 6, i will be leaving behind my eldest daughter who is 22.Doncaster is the place for us as my fella has a job to go to with AUDI as his apprentise who he trained moved out to Melbourne 18mths ago.We are ready to go,SOLD HOUSE LAST YEAR and moved into rented all we are waiting for is the Visa....when will it be our turn, hopefully soon, im starting to feel so frustrated and fed up.It will be great to meet up once we are all over there

Guest kali02
HI Everyone, We are heading for Doncaster in Melbourne, there is my self 42 my partner 44 and two children the lad is 12 and my youngest girl is nearly 6, i will be leaving behind my eldest daughter who is 22.Doncaster is the place for us as my fella has a job to go to with AUDI as his apprentise who he trained moved out to Melbourne 18mths ago.We are ready to go,SOLD HOUSE LAST YEAR and moved into rented all we are waiting for is the Visa....when will it be our turn, hopefully soon, im starting to feel so frustrated and fed up.It will be great to meet up once we are all over there

Well done on selling the house first and moving into rented!!! We're wishing we did that now, but didn't want to risk cursing ourself and having it all fall through. Now we probably will have to rent it out and send money back to top up mortgage :arghh:

Hi, we are Caroline (35), Jason (35), Connor (10) and Kian (7). We are looking at Mornington areas.

Have decided to wait and have rekkie booked for March 09 in Melbourne. Then we we get back to sunny uk will have family meet and decide if we liked what we saw!!! Have to go on Sponsored visa by looks of things, so not too sure when we will get out there. Hope to be there by end 09 but who knows.

Would love to get together with you lovely people if and when we finally make it on the sponsored visa route.:jiggy:

Guest willdavis

Hi all, We are heading for Victoria, possibly Melbourne, but it depends where I can get a primary school teaching job, so we need to be flexible. Fortunately we are willing to go rural if that's what it takes. Still waiting for my skills assessment to come back from teaching Australia. Looking to move in 2009 all being well.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi all, We are heading for Victoria, possibly Melbourne, but it depends where I can get a primary school teaching job, so we need to be flexible. Fortunately we are willing to go rural if that's what it takes. Still waiting for my skills assessment to come back from teaching Australia. Looking to move in 2009 all being well.

Hi Will and Mary, there are a lot of new schools opening in Melbourne at the moment so I am sure you will be fine. Good luck with the skills assessment.:spinny:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aj_smiffy

hi to everybody in melbourne,

myself and catherine are flying out on a 457 visa on the 1st sept (can't believe it's come around so quick!). we're staying with friends near berwick for a few weeks until our container arrives from barmy birmingham so then we'll be renting......

andy

Guest annielee

hi future melbournians..

i'll be flying on the 24th august..and staying at glen waverley temporarily (friends place)..while llooking for a permanent accommodation..

cant believe it's happening so fast..

Hi Ya

We are looking at Pakenham or Berwick

Looks like we may be there October or Nov 08

Hubbys job is in Clayton.

My kids are driving me mad what the schools like what can we do where can we go out etc ...:arghh:

If anyone can help would love to hear from you.. My boys are 17 and 14.

Im also looking for somewhere to rent for 2weeks or a month until i can find something for good.

hi there we are going for our reckie/recce/ on tuesday. soooo excited!!!! i may be able to tell you what pakenham is like on our return as i have a friend who lives there - yes i have one friend! i think our main problem will be selling up here . we are going to start looking from frankston south and beyond - depends on schools and transport.

Guest The Pom Queen
hi there we are going for our reckie/recce/ on tuesday. soooo excited!!!! i may be able to tell you what pakenham is like on our return as i have a friend who lives there - yes i have one friend! i think our main problem will be selling up here . we are going to start looking from frankston south and beyond - depends on schools and transport.

Hope you enjoy your reckie, you will have to excuse the weather at the moment it is a little bit on the chilly side:goofy:

Hi Ya

If anyone can help would love to hear from you..

We have been back and fore from Pakenham and Berwick the last few weekends. We are getting a house built (not in either of these places) and that is where most of the display houses are.

Both are quite nice suburbs. You can feel like you are in the country and away from the rat race (especially with Pakenham). They seem to be suburbs which have a centre which has been there a while, surrounded by lots of new developments. Berwick has some very nice new areas (shops, houses, offices, hotels, etc), but I think I would prefer Pakenham because it just feels a bit more spacious and open (and also has lots of new areas). Both are on the train line and on the freeway straight into Melbourne (probably an hour to the CBD).

Land is fairly reasonable and I would imagine that house prices are too (although I haven't looked at houses).

I certainly wouldn't have any issues with living in either of these places. I guess the only thing to note would be that you are looking at around 50 mins to get to the beach (but then again as property is cheaper you could possibly afford a pool!).

Guest ashmalog
Hi Ya

My kids are driving me mad what the schools like what can we do where can we go out etc ...:arghh:

Im also looking for somewhere to rent for 2weeks or a month until i can find something for good.

hi bella

we went out on a reckie and loved pakenham and berwick - lots to do in berwick, pakenham a little quieter. have you ever been? we are looking at a 175 visa and still waiting, hoping to go out by may next year.

bonnie

hi bella

we went out on a reckie and loved pakenham and berwick - lots to do in berwick, pakenham a little quieter. have you ever been? we are looking at a 175 visa and still waiting, hoping to go out by may next year.

bonnie

Hi Bonnie

We are going out on 457 well we hope should have answers in the next few weeks

I have visted Melbourne a very long time ago. I cant wait to go fingers crossed i like the look of both.

Guest jonnyspunkyboy

Hi all :yes:

Well excepted a job today on a 475 visa with the woods group in Melbourne so here we come. The house has been on the market for 3 weeks and had quite a bit of interest so hopefully sell soon and get the hell out of england lol.

Its me Jonathan 33, Emma my wife 32, Anya one of my daughters 7, Neve the other 4 so if anyone wants to keep in touch with us that would be great because we could all do with some help and friends and Barbies lol

Cheers

Jonathan Emma Anya Neve:wacko:

Hi All

I have been in Melbourne a week now and it's all good so far! People are friendly and relaxed and there's plenty of bars and cafes etc to explore in the city. I'm in a serviced apartment through work at the moment in Queen Street but I'm looking at places to get my own apartment, definitely staying in the city though.

Guest Tracyanne
We have been back and fore from Pakenham and Berwick the last few weekends. We are getting a house built (not in either of these places) and that is where most of the display houses are.

Both are quite nice suburbs. You can feel like you are in the country and away from the rat race (especially with Pakenham). They seem to be suburbs which have a centre which has been there a while, surrounded by lots of new developments. Berwick has some very nice new areas (shops, houses, offices, hotels, etc), but I think I would prefer Pakenham because it just feels a bit more spacious and open (and also has lots of new areas). Both are on the train line and on the freeway straight into Melbourne (probably an hour to the CBD).

Land is fairly reasonable and I would imagine that house prices are too (although I haven't looked at houses).

I certainly wouldn't have any issues with living in either of these places. I guess the only thing to note would be that you are looking at around 50 mins to get to the beach (but then again as property is cheaper you could possibly afford a pool!).

We live in Berwick, takes us 20 minutes to get to the beach!

Guest ashmalog
Hi Ya

i am looking at pakenham and berwick also, hoping to hear about visa by feb/mar time. i have 3 boys 11, 7 and 2. OH is a barber and i am a nurse.

went on a reckie in may this year and loved the place - looked at 30 different areas!!berwick had more for the children, skate parks, numerous schools and shops etc, pakenham a bit quieter with a few schools. i have an email address for a lady that has a house in berwick for short term rent, pm me and ill give you her address - i'm sure she won't mind. ill check first. she is a poms in oz member.

keep in touch and let me know what you decide.

Bonnie

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi there we offer furnited rentals from £48 for the house for a night, www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk we also offer airport pickup and can take you out for the day looking at various suburbs and property for your longer term rent. There are a couple of people on here who have used our services and you can find out what they think here; Poms In Oz Thread

Archived