One Year on Back Home

Guest Aldo

Its been just over a year since I stepped off the plane at Heathrow from Australia and although the whole Australia thing left me on the bones of my ar7se financially, coming home is the best move I ever made.

The first half of the year was tough with me buying a ringer and losing a lump of cash, that i could have done with out. Building work was thin on the ground but I have set the misses up in a business that's doing well now and I have big plans for expansion into the UK next year. Sorry i'm a bit cagey about what it is but there are some grey areas on some of the legalities that need sorting out.

I've been back and forth to the UK running small building jobs for a friend as and when required (financially) . People paint a sorry picture of the UK in recession but the fact is there is a much bigger pool of potential clients/customers waiting for you.

On the home front, we found a very nice garden apartment rental that is just perfect for us, its more like a bungalow than an apartment as it is detached with no one above or below, it was the sales office when the urbanisation was being built so its prime position with views over a golf coarse to the med, with Gibraltar and Morocco visible on clear days, it has a nice private garden as well a lovely communal gardens and two beautiful pools

The kids have settled into a great school and are doing great and teaching me and their mum Spanish!

We have absolutely no regrets on our decision to come home except that we had some very good friends (aussies:elvis:) that we left behind (they are visiting us in 2010). If i had to change anything it would have been to time the homecoming to spring/summer (UK) but apart from that it was 100% the right thing for us and i am extremely optomistict for the future.

To others returning (or thinking ) of returning home, my advice is go for it. Its just as hard as your journey out there but you will have the comfort of friends and family and when the going gets tough you can go to the pub and get drunk with friendly people that get your jokes:jimlad:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read so many of your messages I like many others almost feel I know you - I am so glad you made the journey back to the Uk/Spain and it is working out so well - knowing when to cut your losses and go is the best learning experience for anyone - I love my Celtic routes and although I am planning giving OZ another go I really do salute you for sharing your journey on here - the road back home is a good one eh?

Its been just over a year since I stepped off the plane at Heathrow from Australia and although the whole Australia thing left me on the bones of my ar7se financially, coming home is the best move I ever made.

The first half of the year was tough with me buying a ringer and losing a lump of cash, that i could have done with out. Building work was thin on the ground but I have set the misses up in a business that's doing well now and I have big plans for expansion into the UK next year. Sorry i'm a bit cagey about what it is but there are some grey areas on some of the legalities that need sorting out.

I've been back and forth to the UK running small building jobs for a friend as and when required (financially) . People paint a sorry picture of the UK in recession but the fact is there is a much bigger pool of potential clients/customers waiting for you.

On the home front, we found a very nice garden apartment rental that is just perfect for us, its more like a bungalow than an apartment as it is detached with no one above or below, it was the sales office when the urbanisation was being built so its prime position with views over a golf coarse to the med, with Gibraltar and Morocco visible on clear days, it has a nice private garden as well a lovely communal gardens and two beautiful pools

The kids have settled into a great school and are doing great and teaching me and their mum Spanish!

We have absolutely no regrets on our decision to come home except that we had some very good friends (aussies:elvis:) that we left behind (they are visiting us in 2010). If i had to change anything it would have been to time the homecoming to spring/summer (UK) but apart from that it was 100% the right thing for us and i am extremely optomistict for the future.

To others returning (or thinking ) of returning home, my advice is go for it. Its just as hard as your journey out there but you will have the comfort of friends and family and when the going gets tough you can go to the pub and get drunk with friendly people that get your jokes:jimlad:

Thats a decent post,all good then,and yer cant argue with that,if your all happy then thats all that matters.

BUT do you think you would feel the same if you were back in london/the uk?

Just wondering,thats all,because when you said"home" i assumed you were moving back to the uk,but it turns out your talking about spain.................

Thats a decent post,all good then,and yer cant argue with that,if your all happy then thats all that matters.

BUT do you think you would feel the same if you were back in london/the uk?

Just wondering,thats all,because when you said"home" i assumed you were moving back to the uk,but it turns out your talking about spain.................

For me I'm as much at home in the UK as in Spain. Its more of a feeling that a place but TBH when i returned to the UK it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders and then, when i wen't on to Spain and looked out of the car window on the way from the airport sensation of relief was beautiful.

The UK and particularly for me London is somewhere i will never get bored with but for me, now where I am now is perfect and yes, i suppose its home. (for now):wink:

For me I'm as much at home in the UK as in Spain. Its more of a feeling that a place but TBH when i returned to the UK it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders and then, when i wen't on to Spain and looked out of the car window on the way from the airport sensation of relief was beautiful.

The UK and particularly for me London is somewhere i will never get bored with but for me, now where I am now is perfect and yes, i suppose its home. (for now):wink:

So correct me if i've got this wrong, but in a nutshell, what you're saying is that you miss Australia and can't wait to ping back there?!

So correct me if i've got this wrong, but in a nutshell, what you're saying is that you miss Australia and can't wait to ping back there?!

damn,,, you got me again.:mad:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Aldo

My sister settled in Perth, WA, 30 years ago this year. My first visit to her in WA was about 25 years ago. I was in my mid to late 20s, working for a Magic Circle firm of solicitors in the City of London, I was introduced to some of the top solicitors in Perth - on the strength of a bizarre assumption by the Aussie in laws to be that I would want to move to Oz simply because my sister had done so - and the legal profession in Perth fell over themselves with job offers, they would arrange visas etc.

I was completely baffled. As far as I could see, the place was only half built and its cultcha consisted of the promised arrival of the Moscow State Circus apparently. Having established that my sister did not require evacuation - which I had wondered about because I was responding to a sobbing phone call from her but which I suspected was a sudden bout of homesickness only - I left her to it. It was only homesickness.

If she had still been miserable in spite of me pitching up, I wouldn't have jumped overboard myself in order to save her from the place. I'd have fished her out and frogmarched her onto a flight back to London with me and I'd have forgotten the existence of her monosyllabic Aussie Squeeze in five minutes flat, frankly.

I wasn't even slightly interested in the solicitors - nobody in their right mind ditches Linklaters in London for the sake of Sue Grabbitt & Runn in the most remote city in the world. Pigeon post is very unlikely to get the word out if anything to compare with the Shard is ever built in Perth:

London Bridge Quarter    .    The Shard    .    London Bridge Place

Cheers

Gill

Hi Aldo

My sister settled in Perth, WA, 30 years ago this year. My first visit to her in WA was about 25 years ago. I was in my mid to late 20s, working for a Magic Circle firm of solicitors in the City of London, I was introduced to some of the top solicitors in Perth - on the strength of a bizarre assumption by the Aussie in laws to be that I would want to move to Oz simply because my sister had done so - and the legal profession in Perth fell over themselves with job offers, they would arrange visas etc.

I was completely baffled. As far as I could see, the place was only half built and its cultcha consisted of the promised arrival of the Moscow State Circus apparently. Having established that my sister did not require evacuation - which I had wondered about because I was responding to a sobbing phone call from her but which I suspected was a sudden bout of homesickness only - I left her to it. It was only homesickness.

If she had still been miserable in spite of me pitching up, I wouldn't have jumped overboard myself in order to save her from the place. I'd have fished her out and frogmarched her onto a flight back to London with me and I'd have forgotten the existence of her monosyllabic Aussie Squeeze in five minutes flat, frankly.

I wasn't even slightly interested in the solicitors - nobody in their right mind ditches Linklaters in London for the sake of Sue Grabbitt & Runn in the most remote city in the world. Pigeon post is very unlikely to get the word out if anything to compare with the Shard is ever built in Perth:

London Bridge Quarter****.****The Shard****.****London Bridge Place

Cheers

Gill

Great post. The

its cultcha consisted of the promised arrival of the Moscow State Circus apparently.

had me in stitches:twitcy:

Guest proud2beaussie

Glad you are happy mate,when all is said and done home is where the heart is and if your heart is in the UK then that's all that matters,home for me will always be Australia but we are all different and I'm glad that you are where you want to be.

Good luck with your future.

Cheers

Glad to hear it has all worked out for you Aldo, after all we only have one life and it is not a dress rehearsal is it? Be happy, that is all that matters. By the way, I am Aussie and would not live in Perth either (no offence to the PIO people from there!) but each to their own. I am also, by the way, "at home" in either the UK or here, I make my own fun and life wherever I lay my hat. All the best to your family for 2010.

Nice post Aldo,

Glad that you are happy. Life is too short to be unhappy, and home is wherever you are happy, be that Australia, Spain, the UK or wherever.

You only get one run at this life, and if Australia was not making you happy, then good on yer, for cutting your loses and making your life happy again.

Glad things have worked out for you.

Cheers

Karen

Hey Aldo

YOU keep me going ........Thanks for your post!

Great to hear how you're doing!

SPAIN is where my heart and home is BUT I'm here in OZ living it, embracing it, grateful for the opportunity BUT "forever" NO!

"Get" you on every line.............can't wait to step off the plane in Granada........that's my next Goal!

YOU don't make me feel guilty because I don't want to stay here forever!

Thanks

Guest guest17301

Nice one Aldo, happiness is the key and if you've got that one cracked the location is largely irrelevant. To me 'home' is a state of mind and not a place

Though I don't think you should 'write-off' Australia as a whole, you clearly had a ****ty time there and it's a shame as there are obviously many wonderful places to call home throughout Australia that you may have been happy-who knows where life will take us...enjoy your life..wherever you choose to live, it wasn't the right time for you but don't worry when you decide to have another go..Australia isn't going anywhere.. :tongue:

Guest Working to fish

I wish you would stop giveing me mind bending drugs ,did we or did we not have a bbq only the other day :goofy:.

Top thread :wink:

Ita always good to read your posts aldo.:cute:

I have to say we are on a constant roller coaster having more bad days than good, having spent a ridiculous amount of cash (really huge) setting up and trying to establish a home here in Oz. my OH - theonetruechris - would jump on a plane now if i said lets go. I, on the other hand feels the need to be as far away from the uk as possible.

At this moment im not sure how long i can fight it. My family's happiness is paramount......Im just wondering what was the deal breaker? what finally made you decide to go.....I suppose this goes out to anyone else who has returned also

I have to say we are on a constant roller coaster having more bad days than good, having spent a ridiculous amount of cash (really huge) setting up and trying to establish a home here in Oz. my OH - theonetruechris - would jump on a plane now if i said lets go. I, on the other hand feels the need to be as far away from the uk as possible.

At this moment im not sure how long i can fight it. My family's happiness is paramount......Im just wondering what was the deal breaker? what finally made you decide to go.....I suppose this goes out to anyone else who has returned also

I'm not sure but i remember being on a job that was coming to an end in Brisbane after the usual promises of long runs of work that failed to materialise i was told of how the contracts that we where meant to be working on had been put on hold due to Banks not releasing money/resession looming ect.. It was like being on death row waiting for the axe. Grown men brown nosing like their life depended on it hoping to be the one that got away. There wasn't really much of a build up just a short reflexion on my time in Aus' then after finishing a wall i jumped down off the scaffold and i remember a labourer telling me i had left my lines in the wall and replying "keep em, i'm off" and with that i drove home full of excitement for the future.

Guest sooveroz

At this moment im not sure how long i can fight it. My family's happiness is paramount......Im just wondering what was the deal breaker? what finally made you decide to go.....I suppose this goes out to anyone else who has returned also[/quote]

although we loved perth for about the first 18 months to two years, gradually it became so "samey". we were both off one weekend and we were asking each other what we wanted to do - it was a really hot weekend and there was nothing that we actually wanted to do..........going out was a no-no because of the heat/flies, nothing was on at the cinema that we fancied and we realised we were a bit bored. then my youngest took ill when my other half was over east with work and had to go to hospital - when the nurse asked me who she could contact other than me, i didnt have anyone that i felt I could put forward. and I just thought - what am i doing here when everyone I love is in the UK? after that I couldnt get home quick enough.

Aldo , you are a " breathe of fresh air" .

All the best for 2010

Guest pegasus 90

Thanks Aldo, so glad everything is working out for you. I am coming back home after 10 years in Perth (medical reasons - I want my sanity back!!! LOL) and it is very comforting to hear the other side to stories rather than the usual tripe of doom & gloom etc.

Guest stockies

It cant be easy uprooting the family again Aldo so it must have been a decision that you thought long and hard about. Im glad that its all worked out for you. Good luck on the new business venture.

Claire. xx

It cant be easy uprooting the family again Aldo so it must have been a decision that you thought long and hard about. Im glad that its all worked out for you. Good luck on the new business venture.

Claire. xx

TBH the kids where no problem at all (3 and 4) at the time.

Archived