One Year on Back Home

Guest Aldo

Guest bebe1375
Hi Aldo

My sister settled in Perth, WA, 30 years ago this year. My first visit to her in WA was about 25 years ago. I was in my mid to late 20s, working for a Magic Circle firm of solicitors in the City of London, I was introduced to some of the top solicitors in Perth - on the strength of a bizarre assumption by the Aussie in laws to be that I would want to move to Oz simply because my sister had done so - and the legal profession in Perth fell over themselves with job offers, they would arrange visas etc.

I was completely baffled. As far as I could see, the place was only half built and its cultcha consisted of the promised arrival of the Moscow State Circus apparently. Having established that my sister did not require evacuation - which I had wondered about because I was responding to a sobbing phone call from her but which I suspected was a sudden bout of homesickness only - I left her to it. It was only homesickness.

If she had still been miserable in spite of me pitching up, I wouldn't have jumped overboard myself in order to save her from the place. I'd have fished her out and frogmarched her onto a flight back to London with me and I'd have forgotten the existence of her monosyllabic Aussie Squeeze in five minutes flat, frankly.

I wasn't even slightly interested in the solicitors - nobody in their right mind ditches Linklaters in London for the sake of Sue Grabbitt & Runn in the most remote city in the world. Pigeon post is very unlikely to get the word out if anything to compare with the Shard is ever built in Perth:

London Bridge Quarter****.****The Shard****.****London Bridge Place

Cheers

Gill

Eh are you telling me that perth in total CRAP? My hubby wants to go, I have agreed, but reading your post I'm thinking nahhhhhhhhhh NO WAY!

Bebe :nah:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear you are back and settled, it is also nice to hear that as someone else said it is not all doom and gloom back in the UK.....we hope to return by June this year....TBH some of the posts on here terrify me and get me thinking are we doing the right thing....then I read posts like yours and I just cant wait to get back...thank you.

Good to hear you are back and settled, it is also nice to hear that as someone else said it is not all doom and gloom back in the UK.....we hope to return by June this year....TBH some of the posts on here terrify me and get me thinking are we doing the right thing....then I read posts like yours and I just cant wait to get back...thank you.

Don't worry about the doom and gloom mongers, they are mostly from people that have an axe to grind and usually cite inner city sink estates as their vision, the UK is sooo much more.

By all means read the negative posts for a balanced view but be aware that alot of the negative posts are people trying to justify life in the GAFA (not all:wink:)

Guest bebe1375
Don't worry about the doom and gloom mongers, they are mostly from people that have an axe to grind and usually cite inner city sink estates as their vision, the UK is sooo much more.

By all means read the negative posts for a balanced view but be aware that alot of the negative posts are people trying to justify life in the GAFA (not all:wink:)

I agree it's not all bad! I just spoke to our friend in Perth WA and he said they have snakes out the back garden all the time and that you just leave them there! EH? SNAKES! :arghh:

At least we don't have that in the uk! :hug:

Guest bebe1375
I'm not sure but i remember being on a job that was coming to an end in Brisbane after the usual promises of long runs of work that failed to materialise i was told of how the contracts that we where meant to be working on had been put on hold due to Banks not releasing money/resession looming ect.. It was like being on death row waiting for the axe. Grown men brown nosing like their life depended on it hoping to be the one that got away. There wasn't really much of a build up just a short reflexion on my time in Aus' then after finishing a wall i jumped down off the scaffold and i remember a labourer telling me i had left my lines in the wall and replying "keep em, i'm off" and with that i drove home full of excitement for the future.

I like it! :notworthy:

I like it! :notworthy:

Go over and make YOUR OWN mind up mate,yes its bigtime different,yes it can be a culture shock,I.E distances to walk to the pub/shops etc,but you have to see if YOU like it,its not for everyone as aldo says,but plenty love it out there,only you can decide.

Guest bebe1375
Go over and make YOUR OWN mind up mate,yes its bigtime different,yes it can be a culture shock,I.E distances to walk to the pub/shops etc,but you have to see if YOU like it,its not for everyone as aldo says,but plenty love it out there,only you can decide.

I don't need YOU advising me to make up my own mind, get the irony of it, you tell me to make my own mind up then tell me I have to see it! WITH YOUR BIG LETTERS LOL

I know plenty love it, my best friend is out there, and plenty of others I know love it! We'll be on our way there soon.

LISTEN LOUD AND CLEAR

WHEN I SAID I LIKE IT :notworthy:

I MEANT THAT I LIKED THE OPTIMISM IN HIS POST, REGARDLESS OF WHATEVER DIRECTION HE WAS GOING IN! HE WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO HIS FUTURE! I LIKE HAPPY PEOPLE!

YOU NEED TO LIGHTEN UP 'MATE'! :biglaugh:

I don't need YOU advising me to make up my own mind, get the irony of it, you tell me to make my own mind up then tell me I have to see it! WITH YOUR BIG LETTERS LOL

I know plenty love it, my best friend is out there, and plenty of others I know love it! We'll be on our way there soon.

LISTEN LOUD AND CLEAR

WHEN I SAID I LIKE IT :notworthy:

I MEANT THAT I LIKED THE OPTIMISM IN HIS POST, REGARDLESS OF WHATEVER DIRECTION HE WAS GOING IN! HE WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO HIS FUTURE! I LIKE HAPPY PEOPLE!

YOU NEED TO LIGHTEN UP 'MATE'! :biglaugh:

Just trying to be helpfull thats all,watch yer dont fall off that broomstick,i think its you that needs to lighten up soft girl:biglaugh:

Guest bebe1375
Just trying to be helpfull thats all,watch yer dont fall off that broomstick,i think its you that needs to lighten up soft girl:biglaugh:

Yeah it SOUNDS like it! Lost your BIG letters lol :goofy:

Eh are you telling me that perth in total CRAP? My hubby wants to go, I have agreed, but reading your post I'm thinking nahhhhhhhhhh NO WAY!

Bebe :nah:

THATS why i HIGHLIGHTED that you should MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP! because you seem easily influenced by other peoples opinions,as shown in THIS post:cool:

Guest bebe1375
THATS why i HIGHLIGHTED that you should MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP! because you seem easily influenced by other peoples opinions,as shown in THIS post:cool:

It was a joke. You really shouldn't read other people post and take them so seriously, you must be really bored with your life. Go on, YOU can change it, YOU have the power feel the Optimism! :wubclub:

Guest brooksey

G'day Aldo. Sounds like a great feeling walking off the site. Your bungalow sounds great, hope it all keeps well for you.:smile:

It was a joke. You really shouldn't read other people post and take them so seriously, you must be really bored with your life. Go on, YOU can change it, YOU have the power feel the Optimism! :wubclub:

Mmmm dead funny it was as well,didnt look like a joke but anyway:SLEEP:

Like i said,australia isnt for everyone,aldo doesnt like it,i dont KNOW(big letters)if i'l like it.

But there was nothing snide about my reply to you,it was just stating a fact,only you will know.

But for some strange reason you took offence,ah well,at least yer about 4thousand miles away from where im going,as the broomstick flies.see yer:wink:

Guest bebe1375
Mmmm dead funny it was as well,didnt look like a joke but anyway

Like i said,australia isnt for everyone,aldo doesnt like it,i dont KNOW(big letters)if i'l like it.

But there was nothing snide about my reply to you,it was just stating a fact,only you will know.

But for some strange reason you took offence,ah well,at least yer about 4thousand miles away from where im going,as the broomstick flies.see yer

Play nice little boy and feel the optimism! :wubclub:

They're all gonna love you where you're going... :biglaugh:

Play nice little boy and feel the optimism!

They're all gonna love you where you're going... :biglaugh:

You've got problems love,your weird,all i done was post that only you can decide,but for reasons known only to yourself you took offence,why i dont know.

But your a strange cat,nice personality tho:skeptical:

If you wrote to join the lonely hearts club they'd write back saying they werent THAT lonely

If personality was measured in miles you'd be an inch.

Enjoy perth,and please dont go to S.A,crank:rolleyes:

Guest bebe1375
You've got problems love,your weird,all i done was post that only you can decide,but for reasons known only to yourself you took offence,why i dont know.

But your a strange cat,nice personality tho

If you wrote to join the lonely hearts club they'd write back saying they werent THAT lonely

If personality was measured in miles you'd be an inch.

Enjoy perth,and please dont go to S.A,crank

LMAO Let it go little boy, seriously lol.

If you can't feel the optimism :wubclub:

Then feel the LOVE! :hug:

And play NICE! :cute:

I didn't realise you had been back a year already Aldo - time really does fly!

Glad you're all sorted and happy there. It may have cost you a small fortune to find out where your heart truly lies but your kids will certainly grow up unafraid of trying something new and they have their parents to thank for that.

Sue x

Guest siamsusie

What a bizarre turn this thread has taken!
Yes Magnetics and look at the starting date:mad: we had a great day in here yesterday:hug:

LMAO Let it go little boy, seriously lol.

If you can't feel the optimism

Then feel the LOVE! :hug:

And play NICE!

"i" was playing nice,i think thats obvious to everyone but you.

I "am" optomistic,ive got my visa,so now its up to me what i do.

I could hang around all night taking the p#ss out of you love because your easy,but your female and i'd rather not engage in a slagging match with a female,i was brought up like that.

Like i said ,i was only trying to help/advise thats all,in your mind it was something else:goofy:.

Please pass on my sympathies to your husband,goodbye:cool:

Guest bebe1375
"i" was playing nice,i think thats obvious to everyone but you.

I "am" optomistic,ive got my visa,so now its up to me what i do.

I could hang around all night taking the p#ss out of you love because your easy,but your female and i'd rather not engage in a slagging match with a female,i was brought up like that.

Like i said ,i was only trying to help/advise thats all,in your mind it was something else.

Please pass on my sympathies to your husband,goodbye

OKAYDOKI Pablo!!! Whatever you say honey! :hug:

Now PLEASE can we give Aldo his very lovely, sincere and uplifting post back!

Sincere apologies for the hijacking of this post to anyone who is reading this, especially to ALDO! Hopefully this is the end of IT! Well it is from me!

Feel the LOVE!

Feel the OPTIMISM :wubclub:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! :cute:

Anyway:skeptical:,back to the thread! despite our differences in the past im glad your happy aldo,glad for you,but mainly because your kids are happy,and thats the most important thing.

As you've stated a thousand times oz isnt your cup of tea,thats fair enuf i reckon.

However as im sure even you will acknowledge it is the promised land for some.

It does work out for plenty of brits,and "hopefully" it will work out for me,ive never once mentioned "living the dream" because i know its not going to be like that,at the same time i "dont" slate the uk because im not in that camp either,everywhere's got its good and bad points,oz and the uk,and as soon as people realise that all the better in my eyes.

Anyway,we'l see where my journey takes me,either way it will be an adventure.:cute:

Yes Magnetics and look at the starting date we had a great day in here yesterday

SOOOOO observant! i told yer about jan saying "what d'yer think of the new vase?"

And i said "what new vase"?,she said "the one on top of the bleedin telly!"

Useless me at noticing stuff!:wubclub:

Guest siamsusie
SOOOOO observant! i told yer about jan saying "what d'yer think of the new vase?"

And i said "what new vase"?,she said "the one on top of the bleedin telly!"

Useless me at noticing stuff!:wubclub:

Does ya have the scar on top of your bonce to remember that incidence:laugh: love susie xx

Does ya have the scar on top of your bonce to remember that incidence:laugh: love susie xx

Loads of scars on me ead mate! first two were off an ex girlfreind who whacked me over the head twice with a claw hammer,then falling down the stairs last year,loads of staples,first night of our holiday in lanzarote,off to the A+E,and loads more staples,like playing noughts and crosses mucker!!!

Archived