Significant Changes to GSM program from 1st Jan 2010

Guest Gollywobbler

I have just had a quick scan of this thread and to be honest I am sick of this whole process. Thousands of $$$$$'S, TRA changes, messed out on a list off a list on a list, priority, then not priority, WA SS 6 weeks, 19 weeks STILL waiting..........more changes. I was going to OZ for a better life, but am getting mighty peed and totally stressed in the process, it will be amazing if I get there alive!!! :frown:

Hell yes they have it all wrapped up tight, unlike here where it is a free for all, and get given everything if you have nothing, but come on there are totally taking the p**s now. Hopefully these changes and any others in the pipeline that the DIAC wish to think up over their Christmas eggnog, will not affect us who already have applications acknowledged, but who knows anything anymore.

The DIAC are a rule to themselves and could not care less about 'people'. :nah:They are happy ching chinging the $$$$$$ for an application when they are not even being processed. I wish I had looked at NZ instead. If I wasn't so far into this shambolic mess and spent so much money I would. I just hope that when we get there it is ALL worth it. Barh humbug DIAC!!! But happy Christmas to all on PIO!!!

Hey buddy get it all off your chest , we are all in the same boat! relax open a bottle or a can sit back and enjoy xmas and remember the important things in life like health and happieness.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Vetassess have announced that they will not be coming to the UK in Feb 2010 for the practicals.

Where does this leave applicants who have completed their paper-based Vetassess assessments but are now being told that they must wait until at least June 2010 before doing their practicals? (Assuming that Vetassess actually turn up in the UK next June, this is.)

The chap complaining about it on another thread has applied to Vetassess as a General Plumber.

DIAC have not yet said which trades will be included in the yet-to-be-published Gazette notice which is due to come into effect from 1st Jan 2010.

David Wilden mentioned Plumbers during our meeting with him at Australia House in London. At the time we were discussing the skills needs in different States. He mentioned that there is no shortage of Plumbers in the Eastern States. I assumed that he was using "Plumber" purely as an example for the construction industry as a whole - which is what he might indeed have meant.

However I am now suspicious because the next thing I have now heard about Australia allegedly not needing any more migrant plumbers is that the Vetassess Feb 2010 practicals in the UK have been cancelled.

Practical assessment schedule (Trade Occupation) - VETASSESS

No doubt this cancellation will assist in the Government's desire to slow the rate of visa applications from tradies in the UK. It is also something that the Minister can blame on the DEEWR and claim that DIAC have nothing to do with it.

Just what is this weasel of a Minister up to that he has not seen fit to announce yet?

The Instrument which is due to come into effect on 1st January contains no machinery to protect the plumber who is complaining (justifiably) on this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/74650-vetassess-changing-dates.html

Vetassess will not accept the Plumber's payment for his practical because they are not taking bookings from Plumbers for the June 2010 practicals as yet. Does the Minister intend to send this Plumber back to Square One and to tell him that he must do - and pay to do - his Vetassess paper-based assessment again and thereby waste even more time and money before he can apply for a visa?

Suspicious:mad:

Gill

Hey buddy get it all off your chest , we are all in the same boat! relax open a bottle or a can sit back and enjoy xmas and remember the important things in life like health and happieness.

I like this attitude, we have no choice but to try to chill over Christmas, so Merry Christmas everone,:wubclub: lets try not to speculate on things we have no control over. In the last 18 months we have been up and we have been down, and so it goes on........:daydreaming:

Go Matilda comment on the 01/01/2010 changes:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

All this micro managing of the skilled program is causing havoc and huge difficulties giving meaningful advice - if anyone senior in DIAC is reading this can we please have some clear strategic direction as a matter of urgency ... please ...

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
Go Matilda comment on the 01/01/2010 changes:

All this micro managing of the skilled program is causing havoc and huge difficulties giving meaningful advice - if anyone senior in DIAC is reading this can we please have some clear strategic direction as a matter of urgency ... please ...

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks very much indeed for your new article, which is very clear and I am able to follow it, so others will be as well. I totally agree with your comment above.

The pain is that we don't know which occupations will be affected. Also there is nothing on the DIAC website about it so a lot of people might end up making visa applications in the new year which DIAC might then refuse, whilst sticking to the applicants' money and telling them to start the whole process again. I didn't comb the DIAC website in case of last-minute changes just before I despatched the documents for my mother's CPV application. It is not uppermost in one's mind at that moment - I was too busy feverishly ticking off the checklist to ensure that the bundle of documents was complete.

DIAC and their Minister are turning the GSM program into a game of cat & mouse between themselves, agents and applicants, which is NOT ON in my view. Loads of RMAs will be caught out if they are not MIA members - I assume that the MIA will warn all of its own members but only about 50% of RMAs are also MIA members, after all. I shouldn't think that RMAs would necessarily check the DIAC website 30 seconds before hitting the "go" button with a visa application just in case of last minute changes to the rules.

The powers that be are turning this thing into a war of attrition that affects people's futures as well as their pockets, which I consider is an unconscionable practice.

TRA's arrangements with the new JobReady Test are equally sub-standard, sloppy and scruffy. The thing is supposed to go live on 1st January but instead of describing it fully, explaining how to apply for it and confirming the price, the TRA website merely says vaguely that further information will be published on some unspecified date in the New Year.

Grrrr :realmad:

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Veronika Hurbis is a Registered Migration Agent whose user name on here is SOMV.

Veronika has also produced an excellent FAQ about the latest changes, which is here:

NEWS & FAQs

I suspect that quite a few RMAs may well end up having to curtail their own Xmas breaks - time which they reasonably ought to be able to spend with their families instead - in order to rush around getting visa applications lodged before close of business (Australian Eastern Standard Time) on 31st December 2009 - which is now less than a fortnight away.

If the blasted list of Gazetted occupations has not even been published before then, it is simply going to cause applicants and migration agents a vast amount of stress during a time which is supposed to be a holiday period.

This is NOT GOOD.

Grrrrr :mad:

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
what effect on me .i m 475 aply .what should i do?

Hi landarjatt

You have already submitted your visa application, haven't you? If yes, nothing in this thread should affect you.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
I have applied for WA SS (due in Feb)... Obviously already having done TRA will this effect me??? :S

Hi Thamby

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Have you actually read any of the articles which 3 separate firms of migration agents have provided - the links to which are given in the pages of this thread? If not, why not do that first?

Cheers

Gill

Guest landarjatt

i m waiting for visa .i m waiting when co reqest for spouse fee. dear gill after three yrs, aus govt give me pr!, should i belive on aus immi polcys? should i go there? i afread after 3yrs if he ll not give me pr! then???

Hi Thamby

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Have you actually read any of the articles which 3 separate firms of migration agents have provided - the links to which are given in the pages of this thread? If not, why not do that first?

Cheers

Gill

Sorry Gill i thought you knew everything haha only joking.

I have read them but my limited experience in immigration does not help!

I'll ave another butchers

Guest Gollywobbler
Sorry Gill i thought you knew everything haha only joking.

I have read them but my limited experience in immigration does not help!

I'll ave another butchers

Hi Thamby

You have only made 5 points and unfortunately I am not psychic! I know that you are a UK-based Brickie and that you have applied for State Sponsorship from WA. You say that you have "done TRA." Do you mean Vetassess?

If not, when did you get your TRA skills assessment, please?

Have you already applied for a sc 175 visa or are you waiting to get your approval from WA before submitting an application for an sc 176 visa?

I need more info from you, buddy, in order to be able to help you!

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
i m waiting for visa .i m waiting when co reqest for spouse fee. dear gill after three yrs, aus govt give me pr!, should i belive on aus immi polcys? should i go there? i afread after 3yrs if he ll not give me pr! then???

Hush, Landarjatt

You applied for your sc 475 visa, sponsored by SA, in Jan 2009. In August 2009 a CO contacted you and instructed you to get your meds done and to obtain your police checks, both of which you have done.

In November 2009 you also mentioned on here that in August 2009 your CO also requested the second visa application charge for your wife, which presumably you have decided to pay rather than asking her to sit for the IELTS? Have you paid this second VAC or are you now waiting for further contact from a CO?

Is yours an on-line application? If so, what does the status page say about your family's meds and police checks?

There may well still be quite a bit to do on your visa application. If the CO has decided to do independent checks on your employment history, for example, the CO will have asked the Australian Embassy or Consulate-General in India to deal with verifying your employment. They don't try to do this from Australia.

The Australian High Commission in India is New Delhi. There is also an Australian Consulate-General in Mumbai. I've heard about a third Aussie Govt office in Chennai as well, though there is nothing about that on the DFAT website:

India

Where is Chennai and what is this third Oz Govt office, do you know? I don't know what they actually do in these different offices but my guess is that since India is nearly as large as Australia, they would send any questions to whichever Oz Govt office is closest to wherever you have been living and working.

The good news is that your police and meds were done on the instructions of a CO. This means that although they may not be ready to finalise your application yet, they will definitely try to do so before your medicals expire.

Once you are in Australia, I think it is highly unlikely that the Government would try to prevent you from obtaining Permanent Residency in due course. In your shoes I really would NOT worry about that, hon.

Can you trust the Australian Govt? Do you trust the Indian Govt? Do you trust any Govt on the planet? If you do, you are more trusting than I am, landarjatt!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Thamby

You have only made 5 points and unfortunately I am not psychic! I know that you are a UK-based Brickie and that you have applied for State Sponsorship from WA. You say that you have "done TRA." Do you mean Vetassess?

If not, when did you get your TRA skills assessment, please?

Have you already applied for a sc 175 visa or are you waiting to get your approval from WA before submitting an application for an sc 176 visa?

I need more info from you, buddy, in order to be able to help you!

Cheers

Ok..

I completed TRA while in Oz on a Employer Sponsor Visa visa which ended due to GFC.... so i am waiting on approval for 176 i was sponsored as a brickie in WA for 8 months....I've always done bricklaying.

What i was mainly concerned about was that i have already done my TRA so i am thinking i would be exempt from these proposed changes (and also as i've lodged my WA SS)

Hopefully that makes it clearer

Thanks

Guest Gollywobbler
Ok..

I completed TRA while in Oz on a Employer Sponsor Visa visa which ended due to GFC.... so i am waiting on approval for 176 i was sponsored as a brickie in WA for 8 months....I've always done bricklaying.

What i was mainly concerned about was that i have already done my TRA so i am thinking i would be exempt from these proposed changes (and also as i've lodged my WA SS)

Hopefully that makes it clearer

Thanks

Nope! No clearer! Have you already applied for a subclass 176 visa or not? If not, have you applied for a subclass 175 visa with a view to switching to a subclass 176 visa later?

This is important because applying to WA for State sponsorship is absolutely NOT the same thing as applying to DIAC for a visa. They are two separate ideas, each with procedural steps of its own.

You have confirmed that you have always been a Brickie so it seems from the Go Matilda article that you should be OK:

However I am still trying to get my head round the Jan 2010 changes that we know about so far so I don't feel confident about discussing them, particularly. Are you using a migration agent?

Cheers

Gill

Nope! No clearer! Have you already applied for a subclass 176 visa or not? If not, have you applied for a subclass 175 visa with a view to switching to a subclass 176 visa later?

This is important because applying to WA for State sponsorship is absolutely NOT the same thing as applying to DIAC for a visa. They are two separate ideas, each with procedural steps of its own.

You have confirmed that you have always been a Brickie so it seems from the Go Matilda article that you should be OK:

However I am still trying to get my head round the Jan 2010 changes that we know about so far so I don't feel confident about discussing them, particularly. Are you using a migration agent?

Cheers

Gill

176 Application visa WA i paid $220 so i am waiting on confirmation which they say takes 16 (really 21) weeks.

I do have a migration agent i'm not 100% confident in so i check everything for myself as well like many others im sure.

Guest Gollywobbler
176 Application visa WA i paid $220 so i am waiting on confirmation which they say takes 16 (really 21) weeks.

I do have a migration agent i'm not 100% confident in so i check everything for myself as well like many others im sure.

Hi Thamby

The good news is that I don't think the new arrangements will affect you.

The not so hot news is that ideally, you would have forked out something over $2,000 AUD to DIAC by now, being the application fee for a subclass 175 visa:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

The reason for encouraging applicants to apply for a sc 175 visa first and then to convert the application to one for a subclass 176 later is in order to protect the applicant's MODL points, in case the MODL is suddenly altered without prior notice and the occupation is removed from the MODL.

To understand this bit, let us look at your occupation:

Bricklayer 4414-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

As you will see, Bricklayer is currently on the MODL, which is potentially worth 15 or 20 points towards your overall points total for a subclass 175 visa - please click on the link below because it opens a different page from the link above, even though it doesn't look as if it will:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

Once the visa application has been lodged, to the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre in this case, it does not matter if the applicant's occupation is later removed from the MODL. Specific legislation protects MODL points in this scenario.

If no visa application has been lodged as yet because your agent prefers to hang around waiting for WA to offer State sponsorship, you are unnecessarily vulnerable in various ways. First, your MODL points would not be secure. Second, although we don't know whether Brickies will be affected by the Jan 2010 changes dscussed in this thread - because the list of occupations remains under wraps - the cautious, prudent view is to assume that you might be affected and to submit a subclass 175 application immediately provided that you have enough points to do so and this has not already been done, which you don't seem to know?

In the end, once your WA sponsorship offer is made, you will either apply for a subclass 176 visa or you will convert an existing application for a subclass 175 visa into an application for an sc 176 visa instead:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/

How old are you, Thamby?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Thamby

The good news is that I don't think the new arrangements will affect you.

The not so hot news is that ideally, you would have forked out something over $2,000 AUD to DIAC by now, being the application fee for a subclass 175 visa:

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

The reason for encouraging applicants to apply for a sc 175 visa first and then to convert the application to one for a subclass 176 later is in order to protect the applicant's MODL points, in case the MODL is suddenly altered without prior notice and the occupation is removed from the MODL.

To understand this bit, let us look at your occupation:

Bricklayer 4414-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

As you will see, Bricklayer is currently on the MODL, which is potentially worth 15 or 20 points towards your overall points total for a subclass 175 visa - please click on the link below because it opens a different page from the link above, even though it doesn't look as if it will:

Once the visa application has been lodged, to the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre in this case, it does not matter if the applicant's occupation is later removed from the MODL. Specific legislation protects MODL points in this scenario.

If no visa application has been lodged as yet because your agent prefers to hang around waiting for WA to offer State sponsorship, you are unnecessarily vulnerable in various ways. First, your MODL points would not be secure. Second, although we don't know whether Brickies will be affected by the Jan 2010 changes dscussed in this thread - because the list of occupations remains under wraps - the cautious, prudent view is to assume that you might be affected and to submit a subclass 175 application immediately provided that you have enough points to do so and this has not already been done, which you don't seem to know?

In the end, once your WA sponsorship offer is made, you will either apply for a subclass 176 visa or you will convert an existing application for a subclass 175 visa into an application for an sc 176 visa instead:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

How old are you, Thamby?

Cheers

Gill

Yeah i see exactly what your saying here, i will show this to my agent and see her reply.

I am 26 years old with family in Oz and good experience in bricklaying so relatively high points.

Would you advise i edit copy your statement to my agent?

Thanks

Yeah i see exactly what your saying here, i will show this to my agent and see her reply.

I am 26 years old with family in Oz and good experience in bricklaying so relatively high points.

Thanks

I think I would advise that you get a better agent! What are you paying them money for exactly when you are telling them which way to go (with Gills help)? There are plenty of agents on here that would give you a better service.

JOHN

Guest Gollywobbler

Thanks

Hi again, Thamby

I suggest that you ask your agent to confirm whether or not a subclass 175 application has been lodged (and if so, when and how.) If it has been done, was it lodged on-line? If yes, what is the TRN and password so that you can check your application status on line?

General Skilled Migration

If a subclass 175 application has been lodged for you since 1st July 2009, the visa application charge payable to DIAC is $2,525 AUD. It is very unlikely that any migration agent would loan you this money, so either you would have had to provide the agent with the funds or the agent would have used your own credit card details in order to pay DIAC. Are you sure that you have not paid this sort of money?

A 26 year old in possession of a positive skills assessment would normally have enough points for a subclass 175 visa:

I get 120 for you, as follows:

30 - Age

15 - Competent English (automatic if you hold a British passport)

60 - Nominated occupation (Bricklayer)

15 - MODL points assuming that you do not have a firm job offer in Oz

Total: 120

I haven't included a potential 10 extra points for specific work experience but you may be entitled to those points as well.

Hence I would think it odd if a subclass 175 application hasn't been lodged (and I would think it even more odd if you have shelled out over £1,000 GBP to DIAC without being aware of having done so.)

In your shoes, I would collar your agent first thing on Monday and discover the exact current state of play.

MARA - Search for a Registered Migration Agent

Is your agent registered with the OMARA?

Your application to WA for State sponsorship is a better option than family sponsorship. The WA State Migration Centre website is here:

State Migration Centre

The point about the subclass 175 and 176 visas is that they are both in Class VE. For this reason, it is possible to chop & change between the two visas without having to make a second visa application and without having to pay DIAC anything extra for the privilege of changing your mind about which of these two visas you want. Therefore logic dictates lodging an application for a subclass 175 visa to start with, to protect the applicant's MODL points etc, and switching him to the subclass 176 visa once the State sponsorship is confirmed.

You do want a State sponsored subclass 176 visa in the end because of the latest pecking order for visa processing priority, described in the link below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

At the moment, you would be in Category 6 with an MODL subclass 175 application or a Family sponsored sc 176. DIAC have not started processing Cat 6 applications as yet and are unlikely to do so before their Year End on 30th June 2010.

However with an application for a State sponsored sc 176 visa you would move up the pecking order into Cat 5. We know that at the moment there are about 3,500 Cat 5 visa applications in the system and DIAC started processing them about 3 weeks ago.

At this stage - halfway through the Migration Program Year - with a large number of State sponsored subclass 176 visas having been granted before 23rd September, when the Minister for Immi suddenly changed the pecking order for visa processing priority, plus the expectation that DIAC will receive further applications for the higher priority CSL visas before the end of this Program Year, it is unlikely that they will be able to process all of the 3,500 Cat 5 applications that they already have in hand. However the fact that they have resumed processing the Cat 5s at all is a definite start, plainly. The situation could have been a lot gloomier than it is at the moment, with Cat 5 applicants thinking that they might have to wait until after the end of 2012 at one stage but reality is proving to be not nearly so bad.

Also we know, following the recent pow wow with DIAC in London, that West Australia is highly displeased about the Minister's & DIAC's antics of 23rd September. WA have some huge projects in the pipeline which are due to start work on site during 2010. They need workers of all types for these projects:

Gorgon | Our Businesses | Chevron Australia

Click on the location map to see where Barrow Island - HQ for the Gorgon Project - is. Phase 1 of Gorgon is to build a worker accommodation village on Barrow Island, which will be able to feed and house 3,000 workers at any one time. Work on building the accommodation village is due to start in Feb 2010. The estimate is that the Gorgon Project alone will need a workforce of 10,000 one way or another. WA simply doesn't have that many skilled workers who are willing to go and be employed in the Pilbara. Immigration is the easiest way to recruit and retain the necessary workforce.

Oakajee Port & Rail - index

Building the new, deep water commercial port at Oakajee out of nothing is another project that will need a huge workforce, I would guess. Oakajee is about 15kms north of Geraldton. A commercial port doesn't only need workers to build it. It will create permanent jobs for hundreds of people in the longer term - all of whom will need homes in and around Oakajee/Geraldton. Most of the homes will have to be built from scratch, which is where a brickie like you comes into it because the pay on these projects is good.

Woodside

The onshore LNG plant for the Pluto project is on the Burrup Peninsula, near Karratha. The worker accommodation village for it at Gap Ridge has just been extended and I think that can now house about 3,000 workers temporarily as well. They are busily building new permanent homes in and around Karratha because nobody wants to live in a workers camp all their lives.

A friend of a friend is a Perth-based brickie. His wife and kids live in Perth but Hubby is involved with building the new homes near Karratha, so he does FIFO (fly in, fly out) from Perth on a 4/1 roster. His take home pay, after all deductions, is said to be $2,200 AUD per week.

There are other major projects which are planned in WA but the above is enough to be going on with for now!

Cheers

Gill

Hi again, Thamby

I suggest that you ask your agent to confirm whether or not a subclass 175 application has been lodged (and if so, when and how.) If it has been done, was it lodged on-line? If yes, what is the TRN and password so that you can check your application status on line?

General Skilled Migration

If a subclass 175 application has been lodged for you since 1st July 2009, the visa application charge payable to DIAC is $2,525 AUD. It is very unlikely that any migration agent would loan you this money, so either you would have had to provide the agent with the funds or the agent would have used your own credit card details in order to pay DIAC. Are you sure that you have not paid this sort of money?

A 26 year old in possession of a positive skills assessment would normally have enough points for a subclass 175 visa:

I get 120 for you, as follows:

30 - Age

15 - Competent English (automatic if you hold a British passport)

60 - Nominated occupation (Bricklayer)

15 - MODL points assuming that you do not have a firm job offer in Oz

Total: 120

I haven't included a potential 10 extra points for specific work experience but you may be entitled to those points as well.

Hence I would think it odd if a subclass 175 application hasn't been lodged (and I would think it even more odd if you have shelled out over £1,000 GBP to DIAC without being aware of having done so.)

In your shoes, I would collar your agent first thing on Monday and discover the exact current state of play.

MARA - Search for a Registered Migration Agent

Is your agent registered with the OMARA?

Your application to WA for State sponsorship is a better option than family sponsorship. The WA State Migration Centre website is here:

State Migration Centre

The point about the subclass 175 and 176 visas is that they are both in Class VE. For this reason, it is possible to chop & change between the two visas without having to make a second visa application and without having to pay DIAC anything extra for the privilege of changing your mind about which of these two visas you want. Therefore logic dictates lodging an application for a subclass 175 visa to start with, to protect the applicant's MODL points etc, and switching him to the subclass 176 visa once the State sponsorship is confirmed.

You do want a State sponsored subclass 176 visa in the end because of the latest pecking order for visa processing priority, described in the link below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

At the moment, you would be in Category 6 with an MODL subclass 175 application or a Family sponsored sc 176. DIAC have not started processing Cat 6 applications as yet and are unlikely to do so before their Year End on 30th June 2010.

However with an application for a State sponsored sc 176 visa you would move up the pecking order into Cat 5. We know that at the moment there are about 3,500 Cat 5 visa applications in the system and DIAC started processing them about 3 weeks ago.

At this stage - halfway through the Migration Program Year - with a large number of State sponsored subclass 176 visas having been granted before 23rd September, when the Minister for Immi suddenly changed the pecking order for visa processing priority, plus the expectation that DIAC will receive further applications for the higher priority CSL visas before the end of this Program Year, it is unlikely that they will be able to process all of the 3,500 Cat 5 applications that they already have in hand. However the fact that they have resumed processing the Cat 5s at all is a definite start, plainly. The situation could have been a lot gloomier than it is at the moment, with Cat 5 applicants thinking that they might have to wait until after the end of 2012 at one stage but reality is proving to be not nearly so bad.

Also we know, following the recent pow wow with DIAC in London, that West Australia is highly displeased about the Minister's & DIAC's antics of 23rd September. WA have some huge projects in the pipeline which are due to start work on site during 2010. They need workers of all types for these projects:

Gorgon | Our Businesses | Chevron Australia

Click on the location map to see where Barrow Island - HQ for the Gorgon Project - is. Phase 1 of Gorgon is to build a worker accommodation village on Barrow Island, which will be able to feed and house 3,000 workers at any one time. Work on building the accommodation village is due to start in Feb 2010. The estimate is that the Gorgon Project alone will need a workforce of 10,000 one way or another. WA simply doesn't have that many skilled workers who are willing to go and be employed in the Pilbara. Immigration is the easiest way to recruit and retain the necessary workforce.

Oakajee Port & Rail - index

Building the new, deep water commercial port at Oakajee out of nothing is another project that will need a huge workforce, I would guess. Oakajee is about 15kms north of Geraldton. A commercial port doesn't only need workers to build it. It will create permanent jobs for hundreds of people in the longer term - all of whom will need homes in and around Oakajee/Geraldton. Most of the homes will have to be built from scratch, which is where a brickie like you comes into it because the pay on these projects is good.

Woodside

The onshore LNG plant for the Pluto project is on the Burrup Peninsula, near Karratha. The worker accommodation village for it at Gap Ridge has just been extended and I think that can now house about 3,000 workers temporarily as well. They are busily building new permanent homes in and around Karratha because nobody wants to live in a workers camp all their lives.

A friend of a friend is a Perth-based brickie. His wife and kids live in Perth but Hubby is involved with building the new homes near Karratha, so he does FIFO (fly in, fly out) from Perth on a 4/1 roster. His take home pay, after all deductions, is said to be $2,200 AUD per week.

There are other major projects which are planned in WA but the above is enough to be going on with for now!

Cheers

Gill

Thanks for your time Gill

I am sure she has only applied for 176subclass WA SS coz i have only paid $220

She is waiting for that to be recorded then applying for the main visa. Instead of going for a 175 Visa.

So as a brickie on 176 Im Cat 5 with the chance of brickies staying on the list and getting processed quicker.

Whats your thoughts? As i have an e-mail drafted up ready to send to her bearing in mind i dont want to completely upset her but i have stated i would like 100% commitment as its me second visa with her(after the employer sponsor visa)

Thanks Again

Guest Cathy77
$220 is the fee payable to the WA Government for Sponsorship.

The Visa Application Charge payable to the Department of Immigration is $2,525.

Consider lodging a subclass 175 application and transitioning across to a 176 when the WA sponsorship comes through.

Best regards.

Dear Alan,

Thanks for very informative explanation on gomatilda site regarding upcoming GSM changes .I would be extremely thankful if you write me, would these changes effect already lodged onshore trade applications for PR? I mean do we have to give Job ready test and TRA assessment even though we have lodge our applications a long time ago.

thanks

Cathy

Archived