New Changes to STATE SPONSORED MIGRATION

Guest highlander

Guest Alison Nugent
hi everyone

like all of u we are also in limbo on what to do, completely p****d with the whole situation.

we are right down the pecking order for a visa. tra passed in july 09, 175 skilled submited 7 august 09, paid $2525 to diac. oh is boilermaker, trade is on MODL, was on CSL but removed in march.

have just applied to nsw for off list nomination ( a long shot i know), but we thought it was worth a try ($240) . i am a midwife newly qualified, and my job is on the CSL. However, now dont know what to do.

1. am still waiting for answer from NSW (not looking good though i know)

2. cant cope with the thought of another possible 3 yr wait, my oh thought it would be approx 6 months wait, hes now saying why bother.

3. we applied on oh job because we thought i needed a years experience to be able to submit an application on my job. CAN ANYONE PLEASE CLARIFY IF THIS IS CORRECT

4. if there is a remote possibility that we can apply on my job, then how would we go about this. do we have to do a fresh application for a 175 or 176 (if NSW agree), another fee of $2525

5. all of my family are in newcastle, nsw and are quite willing to sponsor us, although i believe this wont speed things along either.

cheers

nicola

Hi Nicola,

Im afraid yes you do need 1 full years experience before you can apply to move to Australia, I got in touch with the ANMC and they clarified this for me, I had to work in the UK for a year and then apply. Hope this helps.

Alison

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
Anyone has the latest update from DIAC about procedures promised to be out by end October?

Hi Bilal

There is no promise from DIAC to this effect. All that happened was that some of the COs at the ASPC experessed their personal opinions that they thought the situation would be a bit clearer by the end of October.

Nothing official is expected until they announce the outcome of the current MODL review. People are saying that will be sometime in November but I think we need to wait & see.

Cheers

Gill

hi

can anyone help me weve submitted 175 along with ss to wa 14 october im a hairdresser and there is a good possibility that this will be taken off the modl , does this mean i will not be cat 5 when my ss comes in will i be classed as an occupation off the list , or will they honer the fact it was when i submitted

thanks

jools x

hi alison

thanks for your msg. did you apply on your job then. are u a nurse or midwife.

i really dont know what to do then, maybe we should sit it out waiting for a positive response from NSW or not.

Either way my yr experience is not until nxt summer.

Am so confused. xx

Guest jains005
We have had an email today from our agent who has said he does not expect Catergory 5 to commence processing again until mid 2010- 6 to 8 months at least he reckons !! Although he said it could be much longer ????

I think he has a good idea as he has worked for the DIAC in the past so he knows how their minds work. I do hope that for once he may be wrong but i fear not !!

Tracy xx

compared to the time DIAC has told mid 2010 is much better....

Guest jains005

Dear friends....one of my friends told that the minister has successfully passed the new changes in the parliament. He said he read it on net. But i could not find anywhere. Any of you got any news like this??

As far as i understand minister is cleverly avoiding any discussion on it...

He may somehow want to continue like this till MODL is finalized...

I wish everyone gets what is best for them...

Guest Justin JIANG
Hi Bilal

There is no promise from DIAC to this effect. All that happened was that some of the COs at the ASPC experessed their personal opinions that they thought the situation would be a bit clearer by the end of October.

Nothing official is expected until they announce the outcome of the current MODL review. People are saying that will be sometime in November but I think we need to wait & see.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

I appreciate your contribution to this forum so much and i do agree most of your opinions. However, in my humble opinion, as some many applicants have received the same 'templates' from different case officers in ASPC, i think it's quite possible that there is any guideline published soon either few days later or in the early November as DIAC would not hold out any specific dates without internal questioning or research. They couldn't take this serious risk again.

Cheers,

hi

can anyone help me weve submitted 175 along with ss to wa 14 october im a hairdresser and there is a good possibility that this will be taken off the modl , does this mean i will not be cat 5 when my ss comes in will i be classed as an occupation off the list , or will they honer the fact it was when i submitted

thanks

jools x

Hi Jools

We signed for 175 last night and our agent said once its lodged thats it even if it does come off the list. Oz accept the date its lodged and what conditions are in place at that date.

Shane

Hi Everyone

I e-mailed my case officer to ask on the progress of my 176non csl app and if we should go ahead and do the medicals(just testing the waters really) and this was the reply:

Thank you for your email.

Please do not undergo any Medical examinations for you or your family until

you have received any further notification from this department regarding

the process of your application.

Please Note :

"A new Government Direction on priority processing arrangements for General

Skilled Migration visas has been introduced with effect from 23 September

2009. Information on this Direction can be found at:

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

The Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre (ASPC) is developing procedures to

process applications in accordance with this new Direction. Applicants

with nominated occupations on the Critical Skills List (CSL) will be given

the highest priority as required, and that is where the ASPC will be

focussing its attention. Once the ASPC has established processing

arrangements for CSL cases, we will be in a position to provide further

advice, which, hopefully can be done by the end of October 2009."

Therefore occupations that are not included on the CSL will not be given

priority processing unless applicants are formally sponsored by an employer

under ENS or RSMS.

As your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an

offshore GSM visa, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before

the end of 2012.

The options available are:

to continue to await a decision on your visa application,

consider your eligibility for an employer sponsored visa, or

to withdraw your application.

Note: if you choose to withdraw your application you will not be

entitled to a refund of your Visa Application Charge (VAC).

Should you be in Australia after having applied for an offshore GSM visa,

you will not be eligible for a bridging visa to remain in Australia while

this application is being processed. You must apply for another visa or you

will need to depart Australia.

Please do not contact the Department to request your application be exempt

from the priority processing Direction. Case officers must adhere to the

Minister for Immigration and Citizenship’s priority processing Direction. I

have attached another copy of the information sheet below to help explain

some of the changes for your convenience.Compensation is not available for delays in processing.

Kind Regards,

What I would like to know is what is expected to happen at the end of October and how it will affect us

Kind Regards

Mylady

Hi Jools

We signed for 175 last night and our agent said once its lodged thats it even if it does come off the list. Oz accept the date its lodged and what conditions are in place at that date.

Shane

And now, ladies and gentlemen, let's hear minister Evans' opinion regarding this topic......... "applause" ;) ;)

Hi Everyone

I e-mailed my case officer to ask on the progress of my 176non csl app and if we should go ahead and do the medicals(just testing the waters really) and this was the reply:

Thank you for your email.

Please do not undergo any Medical examinations for you or your family until

you have received any further notification from this department regarding

the process of your application.

Please Note :

"A new Government Direction on priority processing arrangements for General

Skilled Migration visas has been introduced with effect from 23 September

2009. Information on this Direction can be found at:

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

The Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre (ASPC) is developing procedures to

process applications in accordance with this new Direction. Applicants

with nominated occupations on the Critical Skills List (CSL) will be given

the highest priority as required, and that is where the ASPC will be

focussing its attention. Once the ASPC has established processing

Therefore occupations that are not included on the CSL will not be given

priority processing unless applicants are formally sponsored by an employer

under ENS or RSMS.

As your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an

offshore GSM visa, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before

the end of 2012.

The options available are:

to continue to await a decision on your visa application,

consider your eligibility for an employer sponsored visa, or

to withdraw your application.

Note: if you choose to withdraw your application you will not be

entitled to a refund of your Visa Application Charge (VAC).

Should you be in Australia after having applied for an offshore GSM visa,

you will not be eligible for a bridging visa to remain in Australia while

this application is being processed. You must apply for another visa or you

will need to depart Australia.

Please do not contact the Department to request your application be exempt

from the priority processing Direction. Case officers must adhere to the

Minister for Immigration and Citizenship’s priority processing Direction. I

have attached another copy of the information sheet below to help explain

some of the changes for your convenience.Compensation is not available for delays in processing.

Kind Regards,

What I would like to know is what is expected to happen at the end of October and how it will affect us

Kind Regards

Mylady

Expect visas to be delayed indefinitely or until further notice

hi everyone

like all of u we are also in limbo on what to do, completely p****d with the whole situation.

we are right down the pecking order for a visa. tra passed in july 09, 175 skilled submited 7 august 09, paid $2525 to diac. oh is boilermaker, trade is on MODL, was on CSL but removed in march.

have just applied to nsw for off list nomination ( a long shot i know), but we thought it was worth a try ($240) . i am a midwife newly qualified, and my job is on the CSL. However, now dont know what to do.

1. am still waiting for answer from NSW (not looking good though i know)

2. cant cope with the thought of another possible 3 yr wait, my oh thought it would be approx 6 months wait, hes now saying why bother.

3. we applied on oh job because we thought i needed a years experience to be able to submit an application on my job. CAN ANYONE PLEASE CLARIFY IF THIS IS CORRECT

4. if there is a remote possibility that we can apply on my job, then how would we go about this. do we have to do a fresh application for a 175 or 176 (if NSW agree), another fee of $2525

5. all of my family are in newcastle, nsw and are quite willing to sponsor us, although i believe this wont speed things along either.

cheers

nicola

Don't want to put a downer on but we were declined NSW offlist nomination, this was a while ago as we are now going to Melbourne, so things may have changed and your situation is different of course because of your relatives. Our agent seemed to think they only offer off list to high flying fianciers (their words not mine!)

Have you checked the regional lists to see if Boilermaker is on there? I know for Pulmbers it was and for Newcastle.

Good luck!

Once the ASPC has established processing

I know a lot of people have high hopes from this phrase in the ASPC's automated response but personally i'm not expecting much.

Mybe at best a new automated reply with more detailed clarification on current processing times and at worst clarification that no more priority 5 visas will be issued until further notice.

I know a lot of people have high hopes from this phrase in the ASPC's automated response but personally i'm not expecting much.

Mybe at best a new automated reply with more detailed clarification on current processing times and at worst clarification that no more priority 5 visas will be issued until further notice.

The ASPC cannot establish processing arrangements for CSL cases, and therefore we are not in a position to provide further advice. We regret to notify you of this unexpected outcome, however, we hope to provide more information to you before the end of <insert_year_after_2012>.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

As someone has said, this phrase is the one which is leading everyone astray:

"Once the ASPC has established processing arrangements for CSL cases, we will be in a position to provide further advice, which, hopefully can be done by the end of October 2009."

All that the thing actually says is that at the moment they cannot tell unsponsored CSL applicants (Cat 4) how long it will be before the Cat 4 applications can be progressed at the same rates as the applications in Cats 2 & 3.

The first thing the ASPC have to do is to road-test the theory that they can get all the Cats 2 & 3 applications moving within 10 working days of allocation to a CO. It is reasonable to suppose that whether or not the 10 day target can be met should be known by the end of October after a month's experiment with the idea.

What is realistically achievable with Cats 2 & 3 affects how long it will be before the ASPC can start dealing with Cat 4 applications.

They are sending out a "one size fits all" standard answer to all enquiries, regardless of whether this standard answer answers the question that the enquirer actually asked, I suspect.

For this reason, I say again: Please DON'T read too much into this idea that the ASPC are going to make a major announcement about something at the end of October. Don't buy into disappointing yourselves unnecessarily, I suggest.

Cheers

Gill

"Once the ASPC has established processing arrangements for CSL cases, we will be in a position to provide further advice, which, hopefully can be done by the end of October 2009."

All that the thing actually says is that at the moment they cannot tell unsponsored CSL applicants (Cat 4) how long it will be before the Cat 4 applications can be progressed at the same rates as the applications in Cats 2 & 3.

The same message is also being given to Cat 5 Non-CSL SS applicants. I got response on 29/9 saying the same thing.

As you say .. I'm trying not to read anything into this. But right now I think non-CSL people are clinging onto any hope they can. :sad:

Hi Jools

Shane

This is true for the MODL but not the CSL. A lot of people have been caught out by their occupations being removed from the CSL.

The MODL affects the number of points you have, the CSL the prority with which applications are processed.

You may know this but for the sake of clarity for others reading I thought it was worth clarifying.

Jules x

The ASPC cannot establish processing arrangements for CSL cases, and therefore we are not in a position to provide further advice. We regret to notify you of this unexpected outcome, however, we hope to provide more information to you before the end of <insert_year_after_2012>.

:laugh: (or maybe :cry:) yes, that's exactly the sort of 'update' I'm expecting

I noticed talk of contacting media sources. Here is the letter I sent to Watchdog feel free to use it and edit if you wish. Let me know your thoughts? I'm now going to have a good look around for other sources to send it to. If anyone has any contacts please let me know. Watchdog can be contacted @

BBC - Watchdog - - Got a story

Freaks.

Please can you help us as we don’t know who else to ask? Having written to all the relevant Government officials and Ombudsman, and still had no clear response as to when our application will be dealt with.

I write with regret. I am a skilled British Citizen wanting to move to Australia. I am writing this to you concerning the announcement on 23rd September 2009 by Senator Chris Evans to restructure priority processing for all General skilled Migration Applications. As a direct result of these changes all applicants in our position have now been left in limbo, facing further financial burdens and stress. When we originally applied we were under the impression our application would receive a decision within a reasonable timescale. That does now, not appear to be the case.

This process has taken us nearly 2 years already, I’m a Plumber and the amount of work available to me in the UK has considerably reduced. I’m now even looking to take on some temporary warehouse work to boost our income. I have had positive feedback from potential employers in Australia and feel for the benefit of my family this is the best thing we can do for our future. We planned to leave around November 2009, and decided to sell our home earlier this year due to our concern that property prices would fall further. We are now living in rented accommodation.

My story is that I have applied for a subclass 176 state sponsored visa. The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) removed my occupation from the Critical Skills List (CSL) in March 2009 along with a lot of other trades and occupations. This left us with one option, which was to gain state sponsorship which we did. DIAC made this announcement without notice and thought for any of the applicants in their final stages. We were informed by the Adelaide skills processing centre on the day before the announcement (22/9/09) that our case officer would review/finalize our application within 2 weeks they said if we had not heard from them within 2 weeks to call back. Adelaide skilled processing centre have requested both my family and I get our medicals and police clearance checks done on the 25/6/09. I had this done at considerable expense (£800) The new directives now dictate my application will not be finalized until 2012. By 2012 the medicals and police checks will have expired, resulting in forcing all applicants in my position to pay to get there medicals and police checks done again. I ask is this fair, reasonable and right for the Australian government to be allowed to deliberately, force this additional expense on skilled Migrants when all we are doing is following instructions from the Adelaide skilled processing centre, as laid down by ministerial directives. This excludes all the expense involved in lodging the application and gaining Vet Assess/trade (skills) approval (again all required prior to finalization of our application)

Surely if applications of this type which are in the final stage of processing are placed on the back burner, it will not only cost the skilled migrant, but the Australian government additional money as the files will require further attention due to the amount of time elapsed.

Skilled migrants at this stage in the process have sold their property, vehicles and possessions, in preparation for their move to Australia, as well as re-home there pets. Families with children aged 15 and up will now no longer be able to travel with their parents in 3 years, as they will be 18 plus and not eligible as a dependent on the visa, again causing terrible stress and upset within families. Is this right when we were not told any of this, when we lodged our application and paid the visa application charge.

Again I reiterate although I am sure the decisions by the powers that be, are made for the benefits of Australians and Australia. It should not be at the expense of individuals offering skills to Australia. Is there no responsibility and compassion for the skilled migrants that have jumped through the many hoops laid down by the Australian Government?

Although Both Senator Evans and Prime Minister Rudd's decisions, I am sure are made for the benefit of the Australian economy and society, is it acceptable and ethical to take money from skilled migrants and mess around with their lives as a direct result for there actions? Not to mention giving people false hope.

Both me and my family remain motivated to be able to live in Australia with the ability and skills to contribute back to the economy. We hope someone in power will see sense. All we are asking for is a little clarity and some factual guidelines as to what will happen with our applications, we don’t consider this too much to ask.

I am by no means the only one affected you can find further evidence at the Poms in oz Forum

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/69397-new-changes-state-sponsored-migration.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70325-what-would-you-say-minister-immigration-really.html

Yours sincerely,

This is true for the MODL but not the CSL. A lot of people have been caught out by their occupations being removed from the CSL.

The MODL affects the number of points you have, the CSL the prority with which applications are processed.

You may know this but for the sake of clarity for others reading I thought it was worth clarifying.

Jules x

I think I'm correct in saying (from a thread the other day) that the pass and pool mark could change after lodgement too. With the introduction of the FSL an rejig of the points test and pass mark is possible.

So whilst you would still get your points for a MODL occupation and your (just an example) 120 points at lodgement from the current test would stand they could raise the pass mark to 125 (for example)

No one's 'home and dry' in the current climate until the visa is in our hands unfortunately.

Jules x

thanks Jules

I forget to add MODL

Archived