FYI: health insurance requirement on 457

Poca&Dan

I am currently waiting for my 457 visa to be granted and have been informed that as of 14th September the DIAC require proof that you have health insurance before they grant the visa.

I have looked into it and www.aushealth.com offer a good range of cover. They also offer an interim certificate for the purpose of the 457. You will have to pay a non refundable fee of $50 and they will write to the DIAC and confirm that you have made preperations for health insurane. You then notify them once you are in the country and they will set the cover to start from that date.

I assume this is across the country, the DIAC that I have lodged my visa with is in Melbourne.

Also I have been waiting for my visa now for 8 weeks and wondered why it was taking so long. I was informed last week that they will not grant the visa until 28 days before your employment start date - the date in which your employer states during the nomination process. This was helpful to know as we thought there was something wrong with our application, turns out my start date was nominated for 01.11.09 so we won't get our visa until October!

Hope this helps!

I've received an email today saying that private health care is still required for those on a 457 visa and that managers for where I work, have to monitor this over the length of the visa. We use medibank, but there are lots out there. Perhaps some of those who are on 457 visa's can tell you who they got the best deal from

Ali

Sorry your having to wait so long Lou, how pants. Hope your ok hun. See you soon !!!!.xx

As for this post -

Ive put in for the medicare card. Am going to meet with new boss in the 29th, i'll ask then and if i need more i'll have a week to sort it out.

Since we pay into medicare regardless i figured this should be ample cover. Medicare office seemed to think so.:huh:

I know it's crap isn't it!! But at least we have a a rough idea when it'll get granted! Hope all is well with you and you are loving, counting the weeks now until I join you!

As for the health care, it's literally just changed this week. The DIAC require proof. Before 14th Sept you could just arrange your health care when you arrived - now they won't process the application until you provide proof, theres a letter that your insurance company need to fill in for the DIAC! We have just been really unlucky in that our visa has taken so long, we sent it before Aug so we would have missed this requirement if it wasn't for the 28 day rule!

I know it's crap isn't it!! But at least we have a a rough idea when it'll get granted! Hope all is well with you and you are loving, counting the weeks now until I join you!

As for the health care, it's literally just changed this week. The DIAC require proof. Before 14th Sept you could just arrange your health care when you arrived - now they won't process the application until you provide proof, theres a letter that your insurance company need to fill in for the DIAC! We have just been really unlucky in that our visa has taken so long, we sent it before Aug so we would have missed this requirement if it wasn't for the 28 day rule!

Changing the goalposts again , I think diac are tryin to make a straight rule, on a 457 your sponsor is responsible for your health care, a lot get round this by writing into your contract that you have to have your own health insurance , eg no health insurance , summat crops up healthwise you are breakin your contract . Look at your contract .

mally

seriously on the immi website it states that if you get a Medicare recipicral card that is sufficient & that will save you money. I would imagine if you tell your case officer that you are eligible 4 the card and u will arrange straight away, you should be fine. Were on a 457 & we don't have or need private insurance as we have a medicare card

I can't attach the link i was sent yesterday (I am very computer illiterate!) The change has come in as of 14th sept, but I am glad that I have posted this now and you have all responded as I have just re- read the requirements and it states

'visa holders who have are enrolled with medicare under the rhca will be considered as having met the requirements'

I had completely overlooked this bit! Surely that means that I should not need to get private health insurance before I go? Oh I am so confused! Can i enrole with medicare before I leave the UK?

seriously on the immi website it states that if you get a Medicare recipicral card that is sufficient & that will save you money. I would imagine if you tell your case officer that you are eligible 4 the card and u will arrange straight away, you should be fine. Were on a 457 & we don't have or need private insurance as we have a medicare card

Yes you do now, as in my previous post ,your employer is liable for your medical needs ,( reciprocal sgreement only covers imaediate treatment , fone an ambulance if you are not inqland caost you 600 bucks) . Companies got round it by stipulating in your contract you had to have private medical insurance ,so no insurance , breach of contract. Think now diac have changed the rules with the other guidelines

mally

I couldn't put it in a link so had to copy and paste, can anyone shed any light?!:err:

Subclass 457 – Health Insurance Frequently Asked

Questions – Visa Holders

Do subclass 457 visa holders need to have health insurance and if so who pays?

It is a requirement for visa grant that applicants have made adequate arrangements for health insurance

for themselves and accompanying family members. In addition, Condition 8501 requires all visa

holders, including accompanying family members, maintain adequate arrangements for health

insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia. Failure to comply with a visa condition may result

in your visa being cancelled.

Visa holders who are enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements will be

considered as having met this requirement.

While you are required to demonstrate that you have made adequate arrangements for health

insurance, and to maintain that health insurance once you become a visa holder, there is no

requirement that you have to be the person who actually pays for the insurance policy. It is acceptable

if, for example, your sponsor pays for the health insurance as a part of your employment contract,

should they choose to do so.

Condition 8501 applies to my visa. What if I incur health costs that are not covered

by my health insurance?

The payment of these costs will be the responsibility of the subclass 457 visa holder.

When do the changes to health insurance come into effect?

The Migration Legislation Amendment (Worker Protection) Act 2008 comes into effect on 14

September 2009. It applies in relation to all Subclass 457 visas granted on or after 14 September 2009.

For sponsors of Subclass 457 visa holders whose visa was granted prior to 14 September 2009, the

sponsor retains ultimate responsibility for the cost of treatment in a public hospital. Sponsors who fail

to meet the relative costs may be subject to administrative sanctions.

What level of health insurance do I need?

Your health insurance policy should provide the minimum level of insurance required by the

department under the Subclass 457 visa program. This level is set out in Attachment A to the standard

template for use by health insurers.

See: Health Insurance Standard Template Letter ( 37KB PDF file)

Providing this template, as completed by a health insurance provider, is sufficient evidence that the

health insurance meets the requisite minimum level of insurance.

What happens if I do not have health insurance?

Visa applications being processed on or after 14 September 2009 will not be granted if they do not

provide evidence that they have made adequate arrangements for health insurance.

Visa holders who were granted their visa on or after 14 September 2009 will be subject to condition

8501. It requires all visa holders, including accompanying family members, to maintain adequate

arrangements for health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia. Failure to comply with a

visa condition may result your visa being cancelled.

Are there other health requirements I need to meet if I have arranged adequate

health insurance?

Obtaining health insurance does not guarantee that your visa application will meet public interest

criterion 4006A relating to health.

Where you have paid in part or in full for the health insurance policy, and your visa application is

refused, it is your responsibility to seek a refund of the amount paid from your insurer. The department

has no involvement in the interaction between you and your chosen insurer.

What are reciprocal health care agreements (RHCA)?

Reciprocal health care agreements (RHCA) are agreements between the Australian Government and

other governments to cover some medically necessary treatments for ill-health or injury which occurs

while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home.

The Australian Government has RHCA with the governments of the United Kingdom, Sweden, the

Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Malta, Italy, Belgium, the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand. New

RHCA may be negotiated at any time.

For the latest list of countries and further information on RHCA, including what Medicare services are

available under RHCA, you should refer to the Medicare Australia website.

See: Medicare Australia – Visitors to Australia

I am an existing 457 visa holder. Is my sponsor still responsible for certain health

costs?

For Subclass 457 visa holders whose visas were granted prior to 14 September 2009, sponsors retain

ultimate responsibility for the cost of treatment administered in a public hospital. Sponsors who fail to

meet the relevant costs may be subject to administrative sanctions.

I am an existing 457 visa holder. If I change sponsors after 14 September, is my

new sponsor liable for certain health costs?

Yes. As your visa was granted prior to 14 September, the liability for certain health costs transfers to

your new sponsor. Sponsors who fail to meet the relevant costs may be subject to administrative

sanctions.

What happens to my visa application if it is not finalised before 14 September?

Your application will be assessed against the new criteria. You will be required to demonstrate that

you have made arrangements for adequate health insurance. You may want to contact your case

officer, otherwise, the department will write to you seeking further information.

What happens if I cancel my private health insurance while I am still a 457 visa

holder?

All visas granted on or after 14 September 2009 are subject to Condition 8501 requiring visa holders

to maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.

Departmental officers will use information provided by health insurers to monitor compliance with

Condition 8501 and visa holders who fail to comply may have their visas cancelled.

What evidence of my health insurance do I need to provide to the department with

my visa application?

In order to meet this requirement, applicants need to provide the following evidence:

• a written letter from a health insurance provider certifying that the you and any accompanying

family members are, or will be immediately upon visa grant or your arrival in Australia,

covered by health insurance that is at least as comprehensive as the minimum level of

insurance required under the Subclass 457 visa program.

See: Health Insurance Standard Template Letter ( 37KB PDF file)

or

• evidence that you have lawfully enrolled with Medicare

Family unit members applying separately from the main Subclass 457 visa holder must produce

evidence as per above, which clearly indicates that the policy covers the family members.

Which health insurance companies can provide the adequate cover?

There are a range of products available for 457 visa holders. While all suitable products will cover at

least the minimum requirements, level of cover provided in addition will vary among providers from

policy to policy. The department does not recommend a particular product. Further information about

private health insurers in Australia can be found on the Australian Government website.

See: www.privatehealth.gov.au

.....so do i need to get private health insurance or is medicare/rhca enough? I will try and get the link with the requirements up, it might help shed some light!!

As i posted , medicare (reciprocal agreement ) only covers for immediate treatment , the sponsor (before the new rules was resposible for your health insurance after the reciprocal agreement , a lot wrote into contracts that they had toacquire their own private health insurance to comply with the contract

As Mal said employers may stipulate the need for private health in your contract. I work for South metro health (not on a 457) and if you are on a temp visa you are required to have comprehensive cover for you and your dependants. This is monitored and you will need to produced evidence of health care cover when asked. This clause is retained for the length of your visa. The new DIAC rules do not affect those on the 457 and as I understand it, they're still waiting news from the dept of health with regard to the changes after 14th September.

It could be that your employer insists that you have private cover if they are going to incur any cost.

Lou, i will find out next week and let you know on here. Every employer will be different. it does say in our contracts that we have to prove we have obtained private health insurance in order to remain within contract. Its on the back page of the contract.

Id be a bit pissed if we require more since we are going to be working for a private healthcare hospital !!!

Medicare is still sufficient. As the website says & a phone call to our CO, who said if you have the Medicare card? You DONT need private cover.

Depends on your job and where you work! Im a nurse at a big hospital in Perth and the powers that be are now asking 457 visa holders for copies of their private health cover certificates. This was not so when i started nearly 20 months ago! So read your contracts and visa rules!

Nic :biggrin:

Guest JoanneHattersley

It was stipulated on mine that I had to have a certain cover and through a certain company. We are still with them . They were never that expensive adn have always served us well!

Guest Jolaaled

I'm in the process of applying for my 457. I have just phoned Medicare Re: getting enrolled prior to entry into Australia. They were really helpful, but said that it is not possible to enrol outside of Aus. They said that they have been in contact with DIAC since the 457 rule changes and recommend that I take out private health insurance prior to entry into Aus.

HTH

Well I have just had an email back form my employment agent and she has stated that although we are eligible for a medicare card you cannot enrole unless you are in the country so therefore cannot provide proof for the DIAC. My contract does state that I need to get private health insurance, and have also been advised that the medicare card isn't enough, it only cover the bare minimum!

I think I am just going to do it, Aushealth do offer this interim certificate which means we won't have to pay for insurance for the months that we are not in the country! ho hum just the way it is, not much we can do about it!

Kelly keep me posted!!!! xxx

We have also just found out today that our visa is being delayed till we present DIAC with a letter indicating we have health ins. Had it not been for Health services Australia in Perth, big mess up with our medicals that sat there for 2 weeks, and consequently only arrived in Melbourne yesterday 17th, we would not need this. But as it is, the sponsoring company´s contract states they would arrange our health insurance, but apparently now we have to arrange to pay for it for 1 month, then the company takes over. What a mess and waste of time!!

I don´t know why the state is letting companies off the hook, they should be responsible for this cost which can be quite high, I remember pricing insurances last year, and they would cost around $400+ for our family of 3.

sami

Archived