FYI: health insurance requirement on 457

Poca&Dan

Guest kgreenwood

Poca / Dan

I'm in the same boat as you! Everone is right you can use medicare however as it is the employers responsibilty to pay for medical treatments many are ensuring that a clause is placed in your contract of employment to ensure that it is mandatory that the emplyee obtains conprehensive private medical insurance.

this is what has happened to me! The quote I got from Medibank Private was $416.10 a month. This was for my boyfriend and I.

CRAZILY EXPENSIVE!!!

HBA have been mentioned a couple of times to me so I;m going to have a look at them.

I'll be flying into Sydney on 30.12.09 to start my new job on the 02.01.09. really looking forward to New Years Eve this year!

Kate

xx

Poca / Dan

I'm in the same boat as you! Everone is right you can use medicare however as it is the employers responsibilty to pay for medical treatments many are ensuring that a clause is placed in your contract of employment to ensure that it is mandatory that the emplyee obtains conprehensive private medical insurance.

this is what has happened to me! The quote I got from Medibank Private was $416.10 a month. This was for my boyfriend and I.

CRAZILY EXPENSIVE!!!

HBA have been mentioned a couple of times to me so I;m going to have a look at them.

I'll be flying into Sydney on 30.12.09 to start my new job on the 02.01.09. really looking forward to New Years Eve this year!

Kate

xx

I have gone with Aus health i think it's about $90 a month. We went with the cheapest option in the end! We originally decided on the 100% in and out patients plus pharmaceuticals but we stopped and thought about it realistically! Medicare help with these costs anyway, we rarely need medical assistance - touch wood - and so we would be paying for a service that does not get used. I thought the more expensive one would be better as I have the implant and will eventually go on the pill again, i thought it would save paying for that, but when you way up how much that costs, it's still cheaper that paying nearly 3x as much on medical cover!

Hope that makes sense!

We fly out to Melbourne on 5th Jan - pending our visa is granted, fingers crossed we should get it back anyday! Now i'm thinking maybe we should go out for new years! That would be awsome! Doubt Dan will go for that though!!!!

That sounds far too cheap for an Overseas Visitors Cover, all the quotes I got for either couple or family (the same amount actually) were in the region of just over 4000$ year, that´s over 300dlrs month!! People on a 457 visa pay a lot more health insurance that ones with Permanent Residence.

I have gone with Aus health i think it's about $90 a month. We went with the cheapest option in the end! We originally decided on the 100% in and out patients plus pharmaceuticals but we stopped and thought about it realistically! Medicare help with these costs anyway, we rarely need medical assistance - touch wood - and so we would be paying for a service that does not get used. I thought the more expensive one would be better as I have the implant and will eventually go on the pill again, i thought it would save paying for that, but when you way up how much that costs, it's still cheaper that paying nearly 3x as much on medical cover!

Hope that makes sense!

We fly out to Melbourne on 5th Jan - pending our visa is granted, fingers crossed we should get it back anyday! Now i'm thinking maybe we should go out for new years! That would be awsome! Doubt Dan will go for that though!!!!

Was so overloaded with info, i forgot to ask. but they didnt ask for anything on it verbally.

ive got some starter forms and on it theres a bit that asks for the insurance company and number- i put medicare down - lets see how it goes !! if not i'll be going out to get some tomorrow night.

On the basis that ive just had to spend a packet buying some clothes for work (and they dont allow jeans) as there isnt chance of getting a uniform for some time, they owe me something in return.

Kate

xx

Kate, i take it you dont suffer jet lag? the uncontrollable urge to sleep where you stand. :cute:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jeffandpat

we have just arrived in perth on 11th october on 457 visa, im working in osborne park hospital as a mental health nurse, my contract gave me 3 weeks from start date to sort privaye health care out, the best quote i have had so far is $357 dollars a month for family cover with some extras in that although low pay out, if any one has got better deal please let me know asap before i have to take out insurance.

thanks

jeff:biggrin:

We paid $382 month (had to pay for 1 year, so almost 5thousand dlrs) with Medibank Private, which was the one the company works with. Luckily our sponsoring company will reimburse us as soon as hubby submits the invoice. But if you phone around, most of them will be around $350 for non-resident.

Archived