Will the UK Recover From Financial Decline ?

Sydney

People seem to be so sure of their views...must know more about it than the professionals as they can't all agree....maybe we should be listening to you lot....hope you are well studied on the topic not just reading opinions that agree with your already made up mind?

Im just saying what i KNOW fish, that practically ALL the bricklayers i know are out of work(and i know hundreds)and have been for months on end! Its that simple

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im just saying what i KNOW fish, that practically ALL the bricklayers i know are out of work(and i know hundreds)and have been for months on end! Its that simple

Sorry, not talking about you :wink: Hadn't read your post yet when I wrote that....talking about the other posters further up who post the with the authority of being 100% correct about the future....just wonder what that 100% is based on. We all have opinions and second guesses but the 100% certainty confuses me.

Sorry, not talking about you :wink: Hadn't read your post yet when I wrote that....talking about the other posters further up who post the with the authority of being 100% correct about the future....just wonder what that 100% is based on. We all have opinions and second guesses but the 100% certainty confuses me.

No fish,dont take that the wrong way,i wasnt assuming you were talking DIRECTLY about me mucker, i was just pointing out that in spite of all this supposed economic "upturn" we are supposedly having "i" am quite simply going on what i see,not the FTSE index etc,just the fact that all the builders i know are out of work and with no end to it in sight,thats all:wubclub:

No fish,dont take that the wrong way,i wasnt assuming you were talking DIRECTLY about me mucker, i was just pointing out that in spite of all this supposed economic "upturn" we are supposedly having "i" am quite simply going on what i see,not the FTSE index etc,just the fact that all the builders i know are out of work and with no end to it in sight,thats all:wubclub:

You being 100% certain about your recent past is understandable....them being 100% certain about the future is a different matter :biggrin:

People seem to be so sure of their views...must know more about it than the professionals as they can't all agree....maybe we should be listening to you lot....hope you are well studied on the topic not just reading opinions that agree with your already made up mind?

Hi fish.01 do you have any views on where the oz ecconomy is headed?

Guest guest30038
Hi fish.01 do you have any views on where the oz ecconomy is headed?

Well if it isn't on the way up, there's a helluva lot of property investors gonna get burned. One only has to look around Brisbane to see that builders are flat out.........mostly on high density..........the days of the big blocks are diminishing.

A mate of mine has just traded in his excavator and bob cat for minis that can get up the side of zero lotted and smaller blocks...........he's been pretty slow for the last 6 months but is working flat out now........all the work he wants.........and more and it's the same for the guys he talks to on the sites.

It appears that no-one is taking on new workers or replacing natural wastage, but the workers they've got are extraordinarily busy. My guess is that business owners are scared due to the media talking down the economy, or because they can't believe that the world wide recession hasn't hit them yet..........IOW, they can't believe their luck and are perhaps thinking that the worst may be yet to come and are playing safe by not hiring.

kev

Guest YorkshireLad

Long thread,I am mainly reponding to the OP.Yes the UK will recover from financial decline.We are alot better off even now than America and Australia for example.--It is just going to take a little more time to get back on track.-

Long thread,I am mainly reponding to the OP.Yes the UK will recover from financial decline.We are alot better off even now than America and Australia for example.--It is just going to take a little more time to get back on track.-

In the longer term, I dont think the UK has great prospects

There has been a significant boom in financial services and the public sector spending/jobs in last 10 years. Both are likely to be slimmed down or growth heavily restricted in next few years. There will be higher regulation, higher personal/corporate taxes and lower foreign investment which will impact financial services. The main decrease in public sector spending has still to be made but this will also have a major impact. We're talking a cut of £50bn per year at least. Thats a lot of jobs to be lost. Forget the bull**** that nurses, policemen "frontline" jobs as they call it, will be protected. The cuts are of such a scale that no public sector occupation is safe (even MP's - the tories propose to cut number of them!)

One of the other drivers in UK boom time has been consumer spending funded by debt. Cheap money wont be around like it was in the last few years. Banks etc wont lend as much, Plus when you factor in higher unemployment, higher taxes, less access to mortgages, these will drag house prices so the feel good factor of equity in our homes will restrict consumer spending further. If population immigration is also tightened, this will further reduce housing demand.

You just cant continue to fund your economy with debt, regardless of how cheap it seems. Sooner or later, the chickens come home to roost. Thats why we had a longer recession than most. Sure, unemployment may decrease but losing car or computer manufacturing jobs cant be replaced just by Tesco/Morrisons/Asda opening a new supermarket the size of a small town. We're talking about losing jobs that bring in money earned elsewhere in the world compared to another service sector job reliant on domestic earnings.

I'm no economist and I could go on and on but basically, in my opinion, the UK is screwed in the short/medium term. Personally I'm glad I'm getting out the UK soon.

Guest YorkshireLad

mickjthom,I agree that we have lost and will lose some more good jobs.And certain measures must be taken ie: limiting third world immigration etc.Putting very high tariffs on cheaply made rubbish made in China and so on.However on a positive note most people I know still are living quite a good lifestyle with everything they need.Even people on the dole have SKY tv lol. We always have the NHS(unlike America).The pubs are all full fridays and saturday nights as usual.I'm not an economist either,so I'm no expert.--I may be off base but I think too many people have an overly negative view because of viewing the BBC and listening to 'so-called' experts that really know nothing.

mickjthom,I agree that we have lost and will lose some more good jobs.And certain measures must be taken ie: limiting third world immigration etc.Putting very high tariffs on cheaply made rubbish made in China and so on.However on a positive note most people I know still are living quite a good lifestyle with everything they need.Even people on the dole have SKY tv lol. We always have the NHS(unlike America).The pubs are all full fridays and saturday nights as usual.I'm not an economist either,so I'm no expert.--I may be off base but I think too many people have an overly negative view because of viewing the BBC and listening to 'so-called' experts that really know nothing.

Could not agree more never had it better myself plus most people I know are in the same boat. Leave the uk for oz for reasons that suit you as I am but dont knock the country that gave you the oppertunity to do it in the first place.

Could not agree more never had it better myself plus most people I know are in the same boat. Leave the uk for oz for reasons that suit you as I am but dont knock the country that gave you the oppertunity to do it in the first place.

Well as long as your ok then eh?Cant you get another tune out of that trumpet?

Theres thousands losing their jobs every week,people taking lower wages just to keep a job,and regards yorkshirelad saying pubs are booming........theres 50 + pubs a week shutting!

Its not a case of"knocking where you were born", its just being honest,thats all!

Theres a trillion quids worth of debt to repay,what should we do,ignore that?

Well as long as your ok then eh?Cant you get aother tune out of that trumpet?

Theres thousands losing their jobs every week,people taking lower wages just to keep a job,and regards yorkshirelad saying pubs are booming........theres 50 + pubs a week shutting!

Its not a case of"knocking where you were born", its just being honest,thats all!

Theres a trillion quids worth of debt to repay,what should we do,ignore that?

Pablo it wont be long before you and me will be blowing from the same trumpet things have to pick up somewere first in the job market & soon you will be turning work away all the best.

Pablo it wont be long before you and me will be blowing from the same trumpet things have to pick up somewere first in the job market & soon you will be turning work away all the best.

Kirk,yer dont understand what im saying,im NOT after sympathy for me, im hoping work will pick up after xmas,so we should be ok,im talking about all the thousands of people in the UK who are losing their jobs,permanant jobs im talking about?

Im a subby,im used to contracts starting and finishing,so much less of a big deal for me.

But to the thousands in banking/the car industry etc losing their jobs at middle age when they havnt got a "skill" so to speak of must be devastating,especially when their knocking on a bit?.

And for yourself and others to say people are "knocking where they were born" just for telling the truth is imo....wrong.

"the pubs are full every friday+saturday"...duh! so everythings great then!!! FFS!

Theres 50+ pubs closing every week. So what does that say?!

Im not in the "oz is great ,uk is crap" brigade,but i wont deny the fact that the UK has a trillion quids worth of debt to repay either!

And no offence kirk,but im not one for blowing my own trumpet mate,wether im doing well or not, i would'nt do it anyway,especially with so many on here struggling?

Aus is no better , CHina rules, they spit the dummy out and aus is rooted ( turning i am) , Obams is givin the Chinese head at the mo to get them on their side , Australia has little manufactiring its all geared up for the resources ( mining etc) WA mining and loads of mining infrastructure , engineering etc , Rudd does his emission scheme be totally rooted , unemploment will soar here

Aus is no better , CHina rules, they spit the dummy out and aus is rooted ( turning i am) , Obams is givin the Chinese head at the mo to get them on their side , Australia has little manufactiring its all geared up for the resources ( mining etc) WA mining and loads of mining infrastructure , engineering etc , Rudd does his emission scheme be totally rooted , unemploment will soar here

Ive never said oz is perfect mal,im just talking about people saying everything in the UK is fine and dandy? im well aware the whole world is struggling,but is oz a trillion quid in debt?

and at least it has resources.

Im not running the uk down,but im not going to pretend we dont have massive debt either.

Ive never said oz is perfect mal,im just talking about people saying everything in the UK is fine and dandy? im well aware the whole world is struggling,but is oz a trillion quid in debt?

and at least it has resources.

Im not running the uk down,but im not going to pretend we dont have massive debt either.

Know what you are sayin mate but all this debt talk is out of our league its number talk , oz has its debt , its all number crunchin and paper somebody will say we write off this debt and that debt total ****e . How much are the yam[nks in debt much more but it will be written off when they find a fiddle out of it , the uk does have resources but a certain witch ****ed all that up lol any way havin agood day

Know what you are sayin mate but all this debt talk is out of our league its number talk , oz has its debt , its all number crunchin and paper somebody will say we write off this debt and that debt total ****e . How much are the yam[nks in debt much more but it will be written off when they find a fiddle out of it , the uk does have resources but a certain witch ****ed all that up lol any way havin agood day

Your right mally,it is out of our league,and everywhere does have debt i know.

A trillion quid seems an awfull big amount for a country our size tho,and every financial expert i read about has been saying it going to take generations to repay it,even mervyn king from the B.O.E said as much,anyway......i'l leave it to "the experts" on here!:jiggy:

What were we saying about the footy?...................................................:wink:

Guest YorkshireLad

No matter what ones views are,2 things must be done.I touched on this a bit in my first post,but I'll elaborate a little further.--The UK should no longer deal with China and the third world.In other words if something is made in China/third world, very high tariffs MUST be put on any and every product entering the UK..---Second thing ,we should no longer allow third world immigrants,'asylum' seekers in because they either go on the dole or work for low wages,taking jobs away etc.They only benefit the wealthy and the PC brigade ,that's it. Our government is really the problem now because they are not doing these simple measures that will benefit the UK.

But thats the point. If you look at their grandparents, they were probably lucky to eat regularly. The point of progress is to offer more to new generations.

Where this country has gone wrong is:

(a) We've let spongers into the country (millions of them)

(b) We let spongers breed

© Idiots have ignored this because they were living on credit and "I'm alright jack"

Well, its time to pay for it all now. The liberal friends I have (and who used to call me a Nazi) don't feel so smug now. They are proving a great recruiting ground.

Your friends must have gone to same polytechnic as mine.

I have been saying for years that you don't need a PHD in mathematics to work out that if the spongers (white/black/pink with blue spots on) aren't paying into the pot, somethings gotta give. And its you and me. :no:

However, thats the WORLD we live in. All countries (well the ones I'd live in) seem to have the same problems.

Still, if the Mayans are proved correct at least we wont have to pay back the Olympic debt! :biglaugh:

Nick.

No matter what ones views are,2 things must be done.I touched on this a bit in my first post,but I'll elaborate a little further.--The UK should no longer deal with China and the third world.In other words if something is made in China/third world, very high tariffs MUST be put on any and every product entering the UK..---Second thing ,we should no longer allow third world immigrants,'asylum' seekers in because they either go on the dole or work for low wages,taking jobs away .They only benefit the wealthy and the PC brigade ,that's it. Our government is really the problem because they are not doing these simple measures that will benefit the UK.

**** off back ****wit you will be welcomed in open arms , wot a tosser

Guest YorkshireLad
**** off back ****wit you will be welcomed in open arms , wot a tosser

Why the negative comment???.--I'm simply being honest and stating my opinion.Not to mention the opinion of many in the UK.---Even if you look through this thread similair views of mine have been posted--As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm quite optimistic about the economic situation in the UK,however being realistic there are still quite a few issues that must be addressed.--Sorry if I'm too politically INcorrect or in other words honest for your taste.

Since when was giving an honest, albeit, negative opinion, an ungrateful act? You can be patriotic yet critical. You should live in North Korea, they just love obedient souls like you!

I'm leaving the UK for many reasons, primarily to scratch an itch I'd had for years about seeing somewhere else in the world. Its largely coincidental that this will happen at same time as continued economic woe in the UK.

Guest MissingHome

Yes, it will recover, of course it will but it will be many years before it's back to the way it was before. Then all the bad habits will start up again, excessive credit, loans that can't be paid for etc, etc.

When you have a scenario like in England at the moment where the income tax collected every week barely pays for the benefit system how can things get better. We need to stop making it so easy for certain individuals to doss around all day taking the easy option and start contributing to society then maybe with the money saved in benefit we could start reducing our national debt.

The trouble with the above though is that this government is relying on the vote of the useless of this country in the election so not much chance of any change:no:

Guest MissingHome
When you have a scenario like in England at the moment where the income tax collected every week barely pays for the benefit system how can things get better. We need to stop making it so easy for certain individuals to doss around all day taking the easy option and start contributing to society then maybe with the money saved in benefit we could start reducing our national debt.

The trouble with the above though is that this government is relying on the vote of the useless of this country in the election so not much chance of any change:no:

So a change in government at the next election?

Archived