Will the UK Recover From Financial Decline ?

Sydney

Guest flipflop

At the end of the day if you look how our parents and grandparents struggled to even keep one car running and never earned enough for mpre than one cheap holiday a year, we aint doing to bad aere we? how many on here have 2 cars? our grandparents were lucky if they had a motorbike and sidecar.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LukeSkywalker
At the end of the day if you look how our parents and grandparents struggled to even keep one car running and never earned enough for mpre than one cheap holiday a year, we aint doing to bad aere we? how many on here have 2 cars? our grandparents were lucky if they had a motorbike and sidecar.

But thats the point. If you look at their grandparents, they were probably lucky to eat regularly. The point of progress is to offer more to new generations.

Where this country has gone wrong is:

(a) We've let spongers into the country (millions of them)

(b) We let spongers breed

© Idiots have ignored this because they were living on credit and "I'm alright jack"

Well, its time to pay for it all now. The liberal friends I have (and who used to call me a Nazi) don't feel so smug now. They are proving a great recruiting ground.

I suppose it all depends on where you live in oz or uk. we are going back to the uk soon, we had a trip there last month and no-one we knew had lost their jobs, this is in the north east of uk the traditional heartland of all things unemployed. meanwhile we live in the illawarra nsw and i lost my 'permanent' job in may and have been doing part time menial jobs since just to get some money....and i have a trade!!!!!!!. i think it can be a question of not what you know but who you know. its my 3rd time in oz, been here 2 and a half years now and the previous times i was here i was 'lucky' to hit a reccession then as well, and all i can say is that when times are tough i have weathered it worse in oz, it certainley hasnt been the lucky country for me. but i dont hate oz for it i have just been unlucky...or is it fate?, maybe i have to be back in the uk to save it!...ha...ha!. anyway i'll be glad to go back good and bad.

p.s.on the subject of 2 cars in oz, i think most people i know in uk have two and if they dont its because in the uk unlike parts of oz you can get a taxi which doesnt rip you off or public transport which is reliable. most people in oz have two cars because they have to , there is no other way to get about.

Guest flipflop
But thats the point. If you look at their grandparents, they were probably lucky to eat regularly. The point of progress is to offer more to new generations.

Where this country has gone wrong is:

(a) We've let spongers into the country (millions of them)

(b) We let spongers breed

© Idiots have ignored this because they were living on credit and "I'm alright jack"

Well, its time to pay for it all now. The liberal friends I have (and who used to call me a Nazi) don't feel so smug now. They are proving a great recruiting ground.

Australia has that problem but the only difference is that they were born there, will not name them as it might cause offence with some people, lets just say they are good at playing the didgeridoo.

Australia has that problem but the only difference is that they were born there, will not name them as it might cause offence with some people, lets just say they are good at playing the didgeridoo.

Rolf Harris?:elvis:

PML BTW

Here is a question....if you could live in the U.K., own a house there and have 80,ooo pounds in the bank OR live in oz with a mortgage of 150,000 dollars and no money in the bank, what would you choose??? Iam interested to know what the response is with regard to the long term out come financially, thanks.

Here is a question....if you could live in the U.K., own a house there and have 80,ooo pounds in the bank OR live in oz with a mortgage of 150,000 dollars and no money in the bank, what would you choose??? Iam interested to know what the response is with regard to the long term out come financially, thanks.

have this & more but still going even with the exchange rates. Money does not bring you happiness nice to have but lots have gone with nowt & have lived the dream.

Guest kyeandgem
have this & more but still going even with the exchange rates. Money does not bring you happiness nice to have but lots have gone with nowt & have lived the dream.

Slightly off thread,

Understand what you are trying to say and wish I could share your optimism but a lot who have gone with nowt and lived the dream probably moved over 5 years ago where you could get a nice house in a nice area for approx $100,000, these days the same house will cost you $400-500,000 all within the space of 5 years. Financially very unfair and I bet the same people if moving today with nothing would think twice about doing so.

kye

Guest flipflop

No brainer UK wins.

Guest LukeSkywalker

Impossible choice. Firstly health is the most vital thing. After that money is useful. £80k and no mortgage would for most people mean a LOT of holidays etc. I meet your criteria but still like the idea of going to see if Aus offers a better life. I just won't sell my UK house until I am sure it does.

You must be excited. Have you been you oz before? I have lived here for 35 years since i was 10. Iam thinking of returning perminently to the Wirral. Is there any chance you can exchange your money to oz dollars now as i would advise you to do so. The property market here is booming, on average the Melbourne house has increased 100,000 dollars in the last 12 months, it now 7.3 times average annual wage. Lots here think it will continue but we are about 18 months to 2 years behind the U.K. So hold off buying here if you can. Good Luck to you and your family with the move. xx SORRY THIS WAS IN REPLY TO KIRK AN CO

Impossible choice. Firstly health is the most vital thing. After that money is useful. £80k and no mortgage would for most people mean a LOT of holidays etc. I meet your criteria but still like the idea of going to see if Aus offers a better life. I just won't sell my UK house until I am sure it does.

That sounds sensible. The days of ''cashed up poms" buying up big in Oz are, for the timebeing over. The current house price here has risen to 7.3 times the average wage. The masses in Oz have been conned by Rudd in to thinking we have had a recession and are now back in full swing even to the point of being the leading light for the rest of the world lol, They are fighting each other to sign up for homes they are going to loose in the not so distant future!!! Does this sound familiar to U.K. about 18 months -2years ago? Are you familiar with Steve Keen, an Oz ecconomist from Perth Uni? Iam with him all the way.:biggrin:I think you would really enjoy his work.

Slightly off thread,

Understand what you are trying to say and wish I could share your optimism but a lot who have gone with nowt and lived the dream probably moved over 5 years ago where you could get a nice house in a nice area for approx $100,000, these days the same house will cost you $400-500,000 all within the space of 5 years. Financially very unfair and I bet the same people if moving today with nothing would think twice about doing so.

kye

Well said, the days of ''Cashed up poms" are over in oz. The tables have turned. I believe the pound went to 70p to the oz dollar in the 70's how many people remember that????? Iam thinking of going back to U.K. and this is the first time in many years it's been financially in my favour.....swings and round abouts:biggrin:

Slightly off thread,

kye

TrendChart

Not sure what nice area 5 years ago you could get a house for $100,000. In Melbourne median price was $340,000 and today $441,000

Guest LukeSkywalker
That sounds sensible. The days of ''cashed up poms" buying up big in Oz are, for the timebeing over. The current house price here has risen to 7.3 times the average wage. The masses in Oz have been conned by Rudd in to thinking we have had a recession and are now back in full swing even to the point of being the leading light for the rest of the world lol, They are fighting each other to sign up for homes they are going to loose in the not so distant future!!! Does this sound familiar to U.K. about 18 months -2years ago? Are you familiar with Steve Keen, an Oz ecconomist from Perth Uni? Iam with him all the way.:biggrin:I think you would really enjoy his work.

I couldnt find out much about Steve Ken, but the one atricle I found wasnt very long or specific. I did 100% agree with it though. Asset prices that go up in an exponential way collapse. Bubbles dont deflate they burst. When they do its not fun.

Guest treesea
You must be excited. Have you been you oz before? I have lived here for 35 years since i was 10. Iam thinking of returning perminently to the Wirral. Is there any chance you can exchange your money to oz dollars now as i would advise you to do so. The property market here is booming, on average the Melbourne house has increased 100,000 dollars in the last 12 months, it now 7.3 times average annual wage. Lots here think it will continue but we are about 18 months to 2 years behind the U.K. So hold off buying here if you can. Good Luck to you and your family with the move. xx SORRY THIS WAS IN REPLY TO KIRK AN CO

Unless there is a mass exodus of people from Australia, I don't think Australian property prices will come down too much, if at all. They import enough new people every year to ensure that demand for property outstrips the number of new builds coming onto the market in the large metropolitan cities.

That's a completely different migration pattern to what we get in the UK, which is basically home owners and the relatively well off leaving, but being replaced by a fairly high birth rate (so by epople who won't be buying houses for a couple of generations)- the highest since the 1960s - and migrants who, for the most part,don't have very much and are prepared to live two or three families in a household, just to keep rental costs down. Any increase in the housing market here at the moment is probably just due to shortage of supply rather than a genuine sustainable increase in the price of houses.

Well said, the days of ''Cashed up poms" are over in oz. The tables have turned. I believe the pound went to 70p to the oz dollar in the 70's how many people remember that????? Iam thinking of going back to U.K. and this is the first time in many years it's been financially in my favour.....swings and round abouts:biggrin:

Yes, I remember the very weak pound of the 1970s. And it may yet have further to fall, because the government need a weak pound and reasonable inflation to ensure that their debts, that are denominated in pounds sterling, cost less in real terms to repay than when they borrowed the money.

Guest kyeandgem
TrendChart

Not sure what nice area 5 years ago you could get a house for $100,000. In Melbourne median price was $340,000 and today $441,000

I was basing my quote on the perth area which was still a little exagerated ( see link) however if you go back 10 years you could of still got a house for approx $150 - 200,000 which for most people at the time was less than what they made in equity on their 3 bed terrace council house here in the uk and could afford to buy a nice house outright over in oz and live very comfortably mortgage free, which is great for them. My point was that the same people might think twice if they were to move today where they could expect to pay in excess of $400,000 which would not only take away all their equity money they made but then would have to take out a mortgage that would probably be 3* the amount they were paying in the uk.

Perth Median Price Chart - reiwa.com.au

Guest SaffaAndPom

I don't know about anyone else, but since I've had to earn every penny/cent I've had - buying a home is always more expensive than I can afford!! Personally I never thought that moving to OZ would make that any easier.

Everyone keeps saying to me, oh you'll have such a big house and you'll never see another grey day - I honestly wonder how some people, who evidently cannot see further than their noses, survive!

If it was only a cheap big house I wanted, then I'd choose the African bush over OZ any day.

Guest kyeandgem

Well said,

you too are probably moving to oz for similar reasons too everyone else. anyone who is going through all the c**p at the moment to get their are definetly not doing it for the material things, as especially most people doing these days are possibly going to be financially worse off that they are in the uk. (I know I will be).

The current median house price in Melbourne is 529,000 dollars and climbing monthly. Its 7.3. times the average wage. This simply can not be sustained indefinatly. I would advise any body comming here to wait it out and dont purchace anything if you can rent. The government stimulus package for first home buyers in oz has has greated a massive bubble that can only burst not gently deflate. All the people i know who have been in realestate for a long time are off loading all their investments and principal homes to get ready with a cashed up '' VULTURE FUND'' for when it all goes POP. They are all renting, watching and waiting!!!!!!

Guest LukeSkywalker
The current median house price in Melbourne is 529,000 dollars and climbing monthly. Its 7.3. times the average wage. This simply can not be sustained indefinatly. I would advise any body comming here to wait it out and dont purchace anything if you can rent. The government stimulus package for first home buyers in oz has has greated a massive bubble that can only burst not gently deflate. All the people i know who have been in realestate for a long time are off loading all their investments and principal homes to get ready with a cashed up '' VULTURE FUND'' for when it all goes POP. They are all renting, watching and waiting!!!!!!

I agree with you in many ways. BUT when property bubbles burst, they only ever burst in poorer areas. Top quality real estate rarely drops at all and if it does not for long. This is true in the UK, US etc. and it will also be true in Australia. The problem is that real estate bubbles drive peope to pay crazy money for houses in areas that woudl otherwise never have those prices. In Melbourne recently I saw a house further out than Berwick that was $1.4m. Nice house. Nice pool. But honestly, thats insane money for that type of place. In the end I purchased a 3 double bedroomed flat in St Kilda Rd and paid $600k for it. 1930s art deco building. Rented out for $650/pw and entirely tax deductible as an investment unit. There is still "value" (odd word) in property, but only for (a) the long term (b) not highly leveraged © excellent areas. In a recession (the clear outcome of a property bubble bursting) the wealthy will still have money and will buy in nice areas only. The Aussie property bubble will last for maybe another 12 months (they always last longer than one can imagine). But after that - all bets are off. A lot of "hot" (overseas) money has come into Australia (exactly what happened in the US/UK bubbles). Locals are priced out. I fear it will end in disaster for people that have large mortgages and limited cash. It wont be pretty.

Archived