• within 1 year of visa grant
    • depends on securing a job
    • depends on selling the house
    • Between September-October 2009
    • Between November-December 2009
    • Between Jan-March 2010
    • Between April-June 2010
    • Between July-December 2010

I have submitted the application just last week, now I dont know whether I should apply for GSM-175 or wait for SS from VIC. If I apply for GSM-175 and at a later point in time receive SS, then is it possible to convert GSM-175 to GSM-176 notifying DIAC? PS share your thoughts on this and provide me your valuable suggestions.

Yes you can, if you have 120+ points and that is what I'm doing (see my timeline, my 175 has been in for nearly 2 months). If Vic grant SS (and you accept) they send a form 1100 to DIAC which changes the 175 to a 176.

I'm starting to wonder if the 175 may progress quicker than the SS app at this rate!!!

I'm planning to go to Vic, but if a 175 comes through I'd be able to keep an eye on jobs in all states and move if a really good one comes up, something I would not do if given a 176 as I strongly believe in honoring my commitments.

Can't assist on preparing your own visa app, I'm using an agent.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VickyMel
We're applying to Vic for SS. Have been using another forum to track progess of others but it's gone a bit dead. I'll let you all in on our story. Initially applied for Vic SS 15/03/09, had an e-mail within 2 weeks requesting further information and a more detailed CV. Sent these off within 24hrs and got a response saying something along the lines of, Thnaks we now have all we need your ref number is SS 2009 ******* and it may take up to 10 weeks to process. Ten weeks came and went, the 11, 12, 13, 14....., i've sent e-mails and rang and i always gt the same response, "your application is at industry panel and we'll get back to you when we get an answer". 22 weeks since we got our tracking number and still no news. We don't know what to do.

Hiya JBandVicki

Welcome to this thread & forum (I have added you to the first page) - yep the other forum thread had slowed down at a lot - I'm glad you came and joined us.

We were also told 10 weeks and have just checked as we are over 12 now and have had the "industry panel" reply - but I have not seen others with our occupation area approved since we applied so our panel may not have met yet.

As you can see from the thread ScottishSteve was also in April but his application appears lost - but he did not have a transaction number and contact with VIC quickly pointed out the application was not with them - so hopefully it is unlikely that happened to you?

Do you maybe have an unusual occupation where the industry panel has not met yet? Taylor20 was told there may be an additional delay with theirs due to not having the job specs for their occupation? Its a pity that with such a delay they have not told you more.

Good luck with it and feel free to come and scream here when it gets too much.

Guest VickyMel
VickyMel, Did u ask about the status of your application, since your application is going to be 3 months...

Just checked we have just got the with the industrial panel email that others seem to have.

Totally gutted this morning when I read the thread about SS (176 & 475) being lowered down the priority processing list.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/69397-new-changes-state-sponsored-migration.html

Looks, effective from today, like if your occupation is not on the CSL you now have a long wait for the visa.

The details are in this pdf

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

"Occupations that are not included on the CSL will not be given priority processing unless applicants are formally sponsored by an employer under ENS or RSMS."

and

"If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an offshore GSM visa or intend to apply for an offshore GSM before the end of 2009, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2012."

I imagine it will be discussed in great detail on the above PIO thread...

Hopefully things will become clearer and more details will emerge - but we are pretty much #@!%ed by the looks of how these changes will affect none CSL SS applications :arghh:

So I'm going to be a bit miserable today!

Guest VickyMel
Another Q, I am planning to apply for the visa by myself ... so can I someone give me any links / tips for the online application? I am sure people would have a lot of experience to share about on this ?

If I remember correctly you have something like 30 days to complete the application when you start it - and if you don't complete in that time you can start again so maybe go in and take a look.

We were able to answer all the questions easily without trouble - they were just basic questions in general.

Maybe take a look at the questions and see if there are any you have a problem with.

I think that the tips we have gained from here are to include a detailed CV and make sure you get an acknowledgement and case ID SS-2009-***** after submitting.

Guest VickyMel

From Kelly's WA thread

Do you know what.....For the First time since starting this thread.....Im afraid I cannot be positive....:no:

Im sorry everyone......

:hug: Kelly - it was all I could do to post replies this morning - luckily I still have the tissues on my desk from a cold the other week - totally gutted too.

I am totally gutted.... So near....So far

Has anyone spoken to their agent yet?....I have emailed mine & will let you know if I hear anything.....

Just seen Tasha post that she has heard from her agent

#1798 on the following thread

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/59724-qld-state-sponsor-update-where-you-now-180.html

He suggests it may not be as bad as 2012 (as less jobs on CSL) - but maybe an extra 6 months or so...? Lets hope so - but doesn't look promising...

Alan Collett has posted that one of his clients for whom all docs had been submitted has now been unprioritised

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/69397-new-changes-state-sponsored-migration-6.html post #52 "As xxxxx's nominated occupation is not on the CSL and he is not sponsored by an employer, the processing of this visa application will be delayed until those visa applications which meet the higher processing priorities are finalised. "

freebo,

Strange that even i am wondering if 175 is faster now a days, the initial object of 176 and SS for people who dont have enough points, but now a days people prefer faster processing and would opt for SS instead.

here is my reply! not good news for me as i have now moved into group 5! indications are that my application won't be finalised till 2012!!! not a good day for me!

ORDER OF PROCESSING

NOTES:

Priority Processing, Category 1:

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) and Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS)

These visas are not skilled migrant visas, they are sponsored by an Australian employer. To be eligible for an ENS/RSMS you need to have a job offer from an eligible Australian employer, 3 years work experience and meet additional requirements.

Priority Processing, Category 2:

Applications that are State-Sponsored and where the occupation is listed on the Critical Skills List (CSL)

DIAC have indicated that if you have applied for an offshore skilled visa and your nominated occupation is on the CSL, it is estimated that your application will be finalised within 12 months from your lodgement date.

Priority Processing, Category 3:

Applications that are Family-Sponsored and where the occupation is listed on the CSL

Priority Processing, Category 4:

Applications where the occupation is listed on the CSL

Processing Category 5:

Applications that are State-Sponsored and not listed on the CSL

DIAC have indicated that if your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an offshore skilled visa or intend to apply for an offshore skilled visa before the end of 2009, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2012. Your ‘nominated occupation’ is the occupation you nominated at the time you lodged your application and cannot be changed. The CSL is reviewed on an ongoing basis and if your occupation is put onto the CSL, your application will move up the priority processing list.

Processing Category 6:

Applications that are listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) OR

Family-Sponsored and not listed on the CSL

Processing Category 7:

All other applications will be assessed in the order they are lodged with DIAC

Guest VickyMel

We too are down to non-priority category 5 now.

So much for my excited dreams of maybe getting to Oz sometime next year...

I'm sure we will hear more about how it will affect us all and maybe some estimates of the new timeline we may be expecting in the next couple of weeks. But it has been a blow for my time line to change from months to potentially 3 years...

Had a reply from my agent:wideeyed::

The amendments have not changed the order of processing.

Therefore, the order of processing is as follows:

1) Employer sponsored

2) State Sponsored and CSL

3) MODL

4) Other applications

The amendments are to confirm the order of processing and to confirm that applications in queues 3 and 4 will not be processed until 2012.

Therefore, to confirm the update should affect your application.

Not 100% sure what to make of this?....:unsure:

Guest VickyMel

Hi Kelly

I think your agent is using the old criteria?

Paul's previous post shows how it is and if you are state sponsored and not on CSL you are not a priority - down to position 5 of 7. SS + CSL would be priority.

1. applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and the RSMS

2. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government and whose nominated occupation is listed on the Critical Skills List (CSL)

3. applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL

4. applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored but whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL the above are priority the remainder including 5 are not priority

5. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL

6. (i) applications from people whose occupations are listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) and

(ii) applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.

7. all other applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

Who knows it sounds like there will be new changes again shortly as they were talking of phasing out both MODL & CSL and rather having a future skills list. Which I imagine will be bigger than the CSL - but doubt we will be on it somehow.

Eva - I saw that accountants were still on the list - I hope it works out OK for you to get back relatively quickly

I think you were right there Vicky.....But late last nite I had another email, clearly stating about the new changes & in it she said this:

Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL (Estimated Processing Time 3-4 Months)

So lets all pray & hope this is the case..:notworthy:...Anyone else had updated news from their agents?

i wish i could share your optimism CarterTucker!:notworthy: i'll pray with you!

i shall of course post any replies i recieve from my agent.

here's hoping!

what we're unhappy about is our state sponsorsip, engineers australia, and Ielts certificates. will we have to go through the whole process again, as by the time 2012 comes, these will all be well out of date?

i have just had a reply to the little rant i gave my agent (my apologies to them, i was feeling a little unhappy!!). this was his reply so i thought i'd post it. maybe a ray of hope in there somewhere. patience is the key i guess.:unsure:

The state sponsorship and IELTS both have validity periods and provided you lodge your visa application within the time that those are valid, that is fine – in other words, we have lodged a visa application with DIAC during the time that both your IELTS and state sponsorships were still valid and therefore that is all that matters – they will not ‘expire’ and you will not have to re-do them again in the future.

We are expecting further changes to be made over the coming months, this is because at the moment the only visas being processed are those with occupations on the CSL. Understandably not all the occupations that are in demand in the Australian states (for example yours) are listed on the CSL – meaning that the Australian states are not going to be getting the migrants they need. Therefore, over the coming months we are expecting significant changes to be made to the CSL list and the way that DIAC identifies the skills in demand and visas to be prioritised.

So although today all indications are that processing of your visa may take a few years, you may yet be benefited by further changes over the coming months. Indications are that applications that are sponsored by a state government are still more highly regarded than those without sponsorship.

Guest sunnyday

Hi Guys, this is the e-mail from my agent:

I’m writing to you today with an update regarding the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) processing priorities. Formerly, state nominated visa applications were marked as high priority and were typically entered into processing within a few weeks of state sponsorship confirmation. However, DIAC today released a new order of processing priorities.

Please understand that these changes only affect the time it takes your visa to be decided, and not your visa eligibility. See below for the new order (with the highest priority listed first):

1) Applications from people who are employer sponsored under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) and the Regional Skilled Migration Scheme (RSMS);

2) Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government AND whose nominated occupation is listed on the Critical Skills List (CSL);

3) Applications from people who are sponsored by family AND whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL;

4) Applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored but whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL;

5) Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL;

6) (i) Applications from people whose occupations are listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL); OR

(ii) Applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL;

7) All other applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

What does this mean for my application?

The new order of processing priorities puts much greater importance on processing applications with a nominated occupation on the CSL. The following information further clarifies the new timeframes for both CSL-listed and non CSL-listed applications:

APPLICATION ON THE CSL

If your nominated occupation is on the CSL and you have applied for an onshore or offshore GSM visa it is estimated that your application will be finalised within 12 months from your lodgement date.

APPLICATIONS NOT ON CSL

If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an offshore GSM visa it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2012.”

Michelle x

Hi Vickymel and the rest of you... I know things are strained at the moment and lots of information is going backwards and forwards, but one of the people on my QLD SS thread has been sent this info below by an agent and I wanted to share it with you. It is also similar to what my agent told me, so here is hoping that they are right!:wubclub:

Dear All Qld peeps, I got this email today. These are not our agents but I subscribe to their newsletter - seem to be quite on the ball with the info.

DIAC Processing Changes - Some Clarity

DIAC have again amended their processing priorities for GSM visa applications. Information relating to these changes can be found at:

Having studied these changes we will now attempt to clarify so that you may understand them more clearly.

Based on the information provided it would appear that the processing priority changes will impact as follows:

Subclass 175 visa applications with state/territory sponsorship - these applications will be minimally affected by these changes and some slight increase in processing times should be anticipated.

Subclass 176 visa applications with state/territory sponsorship - As above.

Subclass 175 visa applications with no state/territory sponsorship - DIAC are now advising that processing times may extend to end 2012, irrespective of how long an application has already been in the pipeline.

Some important facts to consider:

1. The GSM program for 2009-10 is set at 108,100 places (this means 108,100 primary applicants).

2. The CSL list currently consists of 41 occupations.

3. 75% of occupations on the CSL are Health, Allied Health or Professional Engineer based. All these occupations have historically had a lower than required take up rate under the GSM program (the main reason that they are on the CSL).

Given the factors at 1 - 3 above it becomes readily apparent that the bulk of the 108,100 places in the GSM visa program year will not be filled by listed CSL occupations. Some will be filled by applicants with employer sponsored visas but undoubtedly the bulk will be via the state/territory sponsorship arrangement.

In Summary

Clients who have applications lodged and have state/territory sponsorship should not see significant change to processing times for their applications. This information does not allow for additional processing times that will occur due to increased volume of state/territory sponsored applications that DIAC have and will continue to receive.

For clients who are not yet at the visa application lodgment stage, we would again reiterate that you should be actively considering some form of state/territory sponsorship as an integral part of your visa application strategy. (Spending 2 years in a "non preferred" state may be more suitable than spending 3+ years in the UK waiting for an application to finalise).

Guest vinnie80

VickyMel,

How are you doing??? It is quite devastating to find out that the immi has restructured the whole priority thing. But based on the above emails provided by others, i think we still have hope of being granted visa by next year.

I told my hubby about the visa changes... he said it's ok... and let's stay positive... we will definitely move to australia by 2011. :) so, let's be positive and i'm sure the visa will come to us soon enough...

Guest VickyMel
How are you doing??? It is quite devastating to find out that the immi has restructured the whole priority thing. But based on the above emails provided by others, i think we still have hope of being granted visa by next year.

I told my hubby about the visa changes... he said it's ok... and let's stay positive... we will definitely move to australia by 2011. :) so, let's be positive and i'm sure the visa will come to us soon enough...

I knew we could rely on you to remain positive. :biggrin:

OH and I have just taken a long weekend which has helped clear my head a bit of the frustration at all this.

Onwards we go - still no news for us from Victoria and I don't think any of us heard last week... Maybe they were busy with all the changes too - or better still deciding to approve us.

Fingers crossed for a positive week for us all and some approvals to come through.

Fingers also crossed for positive news for those that have already been approved and that their applications are not slowed down too much.

Guest vinnie80

Yup, i'm keeping my fingers crossed too... i'm sure we'll receive a good news in october... who knows there could be some good things coming out of this new changes and delays in our sponsorship... it's just that we don't know what is the good thing... let's wait paitently... i'm praying everyday that today will be the day i get my vic ss...

Guest VickyMel

Mini-Update for last week

Nobody turned Blue last week

-----------------------------------------------------------

April Applications: Submitted: 2 Approved: 0 (1 application lost in the system somewhere, being resubmitted)

June Applications: Submitted: 3 Approved: 1

July Applications: Submitted: 6, Approved: 2, CO: 1

August Applications: Submitted: 8 Approved: 3 (1 rejection being queried)

September Applications: Submitted: 3 Approved: 1

Here's hoping there is some good news for us all for this week - I think we could all do with some after last weeks changes. :hug:

Guest sunnyday

When I saw you'd posted VickyMel I thought you had it!!! I'm sure you'll get it this week I have a feeling in my water..............:yes:.

Hi,

Just thought I would let you know that we received our State Sponsorship on the 24th September (Accountant). It took about 5 weeks. We have sent a reply back accepting and they said they will send the form 1100 to the DIAC. Does anyone know if they reply back to you to tell you they have sent the form and how long it roughly takes to get a case officer?

Thanks

Archived