What honeymoon period?

Guest al&nic

Guest al&nic

Just wondering if anyone has got to Oz and instantly thought...

What have we done?

We've only been here a short while but feel we were much happier back home. I don't think it bodes well that we haven't even experienced a honeymoon peroid.

Maybe we'll start to feel differently through time :err:

LOL, you are right, most people have a honeymoon - usually anywhere between 2 months and 10 years. I hope yours gets better but if it doesnt work for you then move on (I wont say go back) to where your life will be better dont beat yourself up if it really isnt for you, there's no rule that says it has to be. Good luck!!!

Guest John Locke

What have we done?

Not instantly, no.......but eventually:goofy:

Seriously though, what`s up?

Quoll makes a good suggestion about moving on .. I've heard people can feel happier just moving suburbs. it really is hard to re-establish yourself here, fitting in at work with new colleagues, being Billy no mates ... it can all take it's toll.

Guest al&nic
How long u been here? Whats happened to make you think that way?

Only been here a few months. I wouldn't say anything has happened, I just can't imagine staying here long term. I know it can be hard at the start but it just doesn't feel right for me at the minute.

Guest Mannys04

I remember feeling homesick after being here for a couple of months, at first you are busy sorting out a house, car, bank acounts etc then when it all quietens down you feel a bit deflated and left feeling what next. Those feelings pass but do come and go from time to time. Everyone I know that has disliked it from the start has ended up returning, I'm not saying thats you but some people realise very early on that Oz is not for them.

Guest LukeSkywalker

What have we done?

We've only been here a short while but feel we were much happier back home. I don't think it bodes well that we haven't even experienced a honeymoon peroid.

Not happened to me in reference to Oz. But it did when I got moved to Orlando to work. Within a week I was "oh my God what is this all about?" Weirded out completely. I stuck it out for 12 months, always thinking next week may be the week that it would all change and be like in the brochures. Never did.

Good luck though - hope it does work out for you. But either way (and even if you come back to the UK) then I now think (thaks to advice on here and others) "better to regret what you have done that what you haven't".

Guest The Pom Queen

Al&Nic

I am not sure how long you have been here, but what I will say is that the first 1 - 2 months are the hardest, this is the time where your body is adjusting to the jetlag, you are missing your family and friends that are left behind, and it is very stressful trying to start up a new life from scratch, ie finding a suburb you like, then finding a rental, if you have children finding schools and then trying to make friends and learn a totally different way of life to the one you had back home. I would say that not only we went through this but the families who we move over also find it the hardest time. Things do get better, ok maybe not for everyone and some will never settle but we have only had one family return home and that was after being here 2 weeks.

Big hugs and I hope things get better for you soon.

Kate

If it's any consolation we didn't have a honeymoon period either, just lots of problems to sort out with housing, health, tenants, teenagers etc. I am the only one out of our family of five who has not fallen in love with Australia, but I have to remind myself that Australia is not just my experience of living in Sydney. We have been here nearly 2 years and I would say that it has taken this long to get everyone settled with jobs and schools, so stick it out for a bit longer. Sometimes it's helpful to write down all the changes you have gone through, when you see it down on paper then somehow it becomes easier to understand why you are feeling sad or homesick or frustrated.

So keep your chin up, england isn't going anywhere and nothing is for ever.

Blondie

Guest jewels1356

i think iam lucky i dont have a familey to sort out their back in the uk i do miss them,but i drove down the road today and thought it would be odd driving in the uk,iam settled hear,not many freinds (got 1 nice one on hear ) if your older it is harder to find freinds but were doing it,slowly i wish everyone good luck in whearever they choose to live

julie

xx

Guest dazla

What have we done?

Hi

I feel the same as you, but I am returning home to the UK in 4 weeks and can't wait. Aus wasn't for me

Darrell

Guest barab
How long u been here? Whats happened to make you think that way?

Nothing needs to happen for someone not to like Oz..

Some folk just don't like the way it is......I couldn't see myself living there from early on also,luckily neither did my wife so we came home and by goodness we are so relieved we did,because were happy !!!!

Hey................I felt/feel like you..............I KNOW it's not forever here and I KNEW within a month of arriving here however................I'm glad I did it AND I'm looking forward to the future, working towards the next chapter of my life and treating the whole experience as an adventure................no point being miserable could get run over by a bus tomorrow!!!???

Hi

Sorry things aren't working out too well for you. As others have said, the first couple of months are the hardest - running around, looking for a place to stay, starting or looking for jobs, sorting paperwork, cars, finding friends, missing friends, missing everything which is familiar to you etc. You may find things improve for you, you may find they don't. I would give things a good go though otherwise you may look back a regret it if you don't.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest tlander56

What have we done?

I remember arriving in Brisbane and thinking that I had just stepped out of a time machine rather than an aeroplane!

Hated it!..Spent the first 48 hours trying to organise for our container to be turned around and sent straight back!

3 years on...and still thinking that my original impression wasn't far wrong!:biglaugh:

I remember arriving in Brisbane and thinking that I had just stepped out of a time machine rather than an aeroplane!

Hated it!..Spent the first 48 hours trying to organise for our container to be turned around and sent straight back!

3 years on...and still thinking that my original impression wasn't far wrong!:biglaugh:

OMG I cant believe that people feel the same as we do, we live on a housing estate

in North Brisbane that gets called 'Little Britain" so most of our friends are "Poms" and when we have mentioned we are going home EVERYONE is like'What for" "Why dont you like it ect ect. Then I come on this forum and people seem to be confirming all of our thoughts, I thought for a minute we were "Aliens" cause we didnt like it!!!!!

well not we dont Like it more "Its just not for us" is our case I think.

There is nothing in particular we "Dont like" just we dont fit in with!!!

and all the beaches and sunshine in the world will never replace the feeling of sitting with your mum and dad, sisters and brothers and having a good old "cuppa" LOL:unsure:

Guest trudi marton

What have we done?

I have just joined so im not sure how everything works yet but yes i feel the same. Ive been here 4 months and i miss home so much. Infact i miss everything, the supermarkets, shops, people and of course the family. My husband was born here and loves it but i would like to go back some day.

Im also six months pregnant and i haven't made any friends yet.....its very lonely here.

Guest JoanneHattersley
"Its just not for us" is our case I think.

Nowt wrong with that! I think its a brave thing to emigrate and go through everything that we all have done........BUT.................

It is a far braver thing to say " Hey it aint for me, Im going back"

Good on ya whatever you decide!

Guest uklovingaussie

Know exactly what you mean and I'm an Aussie just back from England and hate being back here. Now concentrating on working towards living in England or Scotland permanently - a much nicer place to live and enjoy life. Rich history, close to the continent, better shops, muuuuch better radio (really lousy here). In fact I'm listening to BBC radio as I write because local is just soooo bad. Hopefully you'll enjoy a "holiday" here like I'm going to - make the most of your time here.

Know exactly what you mean and I'm an Aussie just back from England and hate being back here. Now concentrating on working towards living in England or Scotland permanently - a much nicer place to live and enjoy life. Rich history, close to the continent, better shops, muuuuch better radio (really lousy here). In fact I'm listening to BBC radio as I write because local is just soooo bad. Hopefully you'll enjoy a "holiday" here like I'm going to - make the most of your time here.

Yep - got to agree. Go for your joy, no regrets.

Guest jackie Macdonald
Nothing needs to happen for someone not to like Oz..

Some folk just don't like the way it is......I couldn't see myself living there from early on also,luckily neither did my wife so we came home and by goodness we are so relieved we did,because were happy !!!!

I felt exactly the same way. I never settled there and can honestly say that I knew from day one I had made a huge mistake, it just wasn't for me. I lasted 4 months and am now back home in the UK and ecstatically happy about it despite the great expense of it all.

jackie xx

Sounds like you love the "whinging pom" syndrome too. Can't really see what help you are going to be to poms wanting to move to oz. Maybe you should start your own site - aussiesinpommyland, or something, lol.

Sounds like you love the "whinging pom" syndrome too. Can't really see what help you are going to be to poms wanting to move to oz. Maybe you should start your own site - aussiesinpommyland, or something, lol.

Well, in the Moving Back to UK part of this forum it would seem a perfectly legitimate place to post. And there is absolutely no reason why an Aussie cannot share in the experiences of moving back to UK.

Well, in the Moving Back to UK part of this forum it would seem a perfectly legitimate place to post. And there is absolutely no reason why an Aussie cannot share in the experiences of moving back to UK.

I agree if people are constructive in their criticism. But I wonder about the motives of someone who has just joined and put's up 4 comments that are nothing more than a whinge, with no examples or justifications. There seems to have been a lot of them just recently and I know it's getting a lot of members down. I just thought this site was about helping other people, that's all. Obviously I was wrong. PS. One of the 4 comments was on a thread about Dyson vaccuums - how does that fit with posting in the right place!

Archived