What honeymoon period?

Guest al&nic

Guest rizzo

Yes i thought like that and still do unfortunatly. we arrived on 10th april this year and i am so homesick. My husband loves it, he lived here for 8 years when he was a child and always wanted to come back. We have got three children oldest being 13, she really wants to go home. It is even harder as i lost my sister last year tender age of 33, so i have left my one and only nephew behind which makes me feel so guilty. Husband keeps saying enjoy it now we are here then look at things in 12 months. But i do actually feel physically sick at times. People keep saying go out meet people, I do this all the time, joining playgroup with the youngest, talking to parents at the other schools, but none is the same as familiar faces of friends and family back home. My mum comes in september and counting down the days. who knows what time will bring.

Guest rizzo
I have just joined so im not sure how everything works yet but yes i feel the same. Ive been here 4 months and i miss home so much. Infact i miss everything, the supermarkets, shops, people and of course the family. My husband was born here and loves it but i would like to go back some day.

Im also six months pregnant and i haven't made any friends yet.....its very lonely here.

must be awful for you feeling like this and being pregnant!

Guest itskaren
Just wondering if anyone has got to Oz and instantly thought...

What have we done?

We've only been here a short while but feel we were much happier back home. I don't think it bodes well that we haven't even experienced a honeymoon peroid.

Maybe we'll start to feel differently through time :err:

Yes, I think of 'what have we done'very often.:sad:

My rose tinted glasses were well and truely ripped from my face at custom i think!

Im having a rough time and im only 3 weeks in lol. I have said to hubs already that if we had return tickets i think i would have gone back to the UK :(

I will post a mini trip report next week with the details....hopefully things will start to get better.

Good luck

Emma

x

Guest guest17301
My rose tinted glasses were well and truely ripped from my face at custom i think!

Im having a rough time and im only 3 weeks in lol. I have said to hubs already that if we had return tickets i think i would have gone back to the UK :(

I will post a mini trip report next week with the details....hopefully things will start to get better.

Good luck

Emma

x

Sorry to hear that Emma. I would imagine that if it seems wrong straight away then it probably is wrong. How awful, just shows one mans meat is another mans poison and all that. For all the well meant advice on here you really do need to suck it and see..

Guest rizzo

Good luck

Emma

x

A holiday is completely different to living here, i am finding that out already, i have been here since april. We have got a job contract of two years we also are on a 457 visa. Finding it very difficult with the cost of living so far especially as we are a family of five and i have a baby at home so cant go out to work just yet.

Hang in there, you will have really bad days but then you will have good ones.

Which state are you in?:smile:

A holiday is completely different to living here, i am finding that out already, i have been here since april. We have got a job contract of two years we also are on a 457 visa. Finding it very difficult with the cost of living so far especially as we are a family of five and i have a baby at home so cant go out to work just yet.

Hang in there, you will have really bad days but then you will have good ones.

Which state are you in?:smile:

We are currently living in west perth but are moving to connolly next week. I suspect this is just a blip for me, we just didnt get off to a great start. Hubs caught swine flu and was very ill for two weeks, terrible service from the GP we saw! He is never ill, only had around 2 days off in the last 10 years but this really knocked him about. This meant that we couldnt look around for a long term rental which gave us two weeks to find somewhere and the choices were very limited. We have got somewhere now but im not 100% about it for various reasons.

Im sure once our furniture arrives (end of Aug) and we feel like our rental is a home, i can start applying for jobs and meeting people. Its very isolating when Hubs is at work all day and im on my own with no one to chat to etc.

Good luck

Emma

x

Guest rizzo

My friend from the uk moved to perth in febuary, she is very friendly, im just wondering if you are around the same area as her. If you are a member of face book let me know and i will get in touch with her, if you had a good friend from the uk you might feel a bit better, her husband is also very nice. She would be the right person to get to know as she has made loads of new friends.

As for the dreaded swine flu my son had it on his 6th birthday last month, but the doctor in the hospital was very nice. It will help when you get your furniture, i hope! although we got ours, i was very busy putting things where i wanted them but now it is all done, i feel the way i did before. Dont think that you are on your own many people feel this way. If you want request me to be a friend through facebook and you can have a chat when ever you feel low. I,m under Hayley wood.

take care

Guest guest12791
Yes i thought like that and still do unfortunatly. we arrived on 10th april this year and i am so homesick. My husband loves it, he lived here for 8 years when he was a child and always wanted to come back. We have got three children oldest being 13, she really wants to go home. It is even harder as i lost my sister last year tender age of 33, so i have left my one and only nephew behind which makes me feel so guilty. Husband keeps saying enjoy it now we are here then look at things in 12 months. But i do actually feel physically sick at times. People keep saying go out meet people, I do this all the time, joining playgroup with the youngest, talking to parents at the other schools, but none is the same as familiar faces of friends and family back home. My mum comes in september and counting down the days. who knows what time will bring.

When we arrived in brisbane i felt quite took aback when i realised how hard it was actually going to be, we had been having holidays in brisbane for years but i was naive looking back and never considered that all that was familiar to me such as people to say hello to that i had known for years, family doctors dentist and even faces that you recognise and see around tow would just suddenly be no more. that sudden isolation and loneliness was terrible, hope all goes well for you

annemarie

Guest Perth Princess

I didn't have a honeymoon period, in fact I felt quite traumatised for the first few weeks/months. Now though each month gets easier and I don't see myself ever wanting to move back to the UK.

Soon as you forget livin the dream **** ,then you will be fine , its real ,its life ,pros and cons ,the same as everywhere else in the workd , going back next week to the uk for 2 weeks but di=ont want to go , see the blades for prob last time at beautiful down town bramal lane , a few decent beers ,,,, alright a lot . A tripto Hawes, fav place , see rellies (obligation not choice ) buy some cheap underwangers and shorts and back home

Soon as you forget livin the dream **** ,then you will be fine , its real ,its life ,pros and cons ,the same as everywhere else in the workd , going back next week to the uk for 2 weeks but di=ont want to go , see the blades for prob last time at beautiful down town bramal lane , a few decent beers ,,,, alright a lot . A tripto Hawes, fav place , see rellies (obligation not choice ) buy some cheap underwangers and shorts and back home

I'm sure you'll manage a few pints Mal. Have a great time catching up ... having said that, glad it's you and not me 'cos I wouldn't want to be going either.

have a great time both !! enjoy it, Hawes the beer , its all ways the things we don't want to do end up being way better than expected:yes:

Gonna make a few books Billabong teeshirts £12 in the uk $50 here in sale gonna set up a stall in wanneroo market lol, we fly on 7th sign up for new rental on 7th aaargh . Shall have a great time Rotherham , Cleethorpes prob sat back in manc airport on the 15th waitinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Guest uklovingaussie
I felt exactly the same way. I never settled there and can honestly say that I knew from day one I had made a huge mistake, it just wasn't for me. I lasted 4 months and am now back home in the UK and ecstatically happy about it despite the great expense of it all.

jackie xx

Thanks, someone who understands instead of berating a comment and someone's feelings. It's not whingeing its stating it like it is. People migrating here need to realise that it's not better, the grass isn't greener on the other side and enjoy what you have where you are. My background (parentage) is English and I've always had an affinity to the UK and have family there so along with that and a love of culture and history it makes returning to Aus difficult, hence joining PIO. So many people I spoke to in the UK wondered why I would go there from Aus thinking that life was just perfect here, no stress, permanent sunshine and it's just like the soaps, with no reality thoughts. As I said thanks.:spinny:

• 1 year later...
Guest punky pom

We have been here 6yrs and even spent 2 yrs travelling around Australia. I remember we emigrated to a small rural town and that first morning I opened the curtains and the sun might have been shining but I just thought my Goodness what have we done. I hated every minute of living in that area we were there for 3yrsas I had to stayy in my job for 2yrs because of sponsorship. I hated my job but I felt trapped because I felt I had dragged my family over. The 2 yrs eneded we got citizenship and I got a great job but still hated the area. People wondered why after all they wer only 2hrs from the beach one way and 2 hrs from the city the other, bloomin nora thay thought 2hrs was nothing. In 2008 we set off in a van with our 3 kids and our dog and thought we had better go see this country we are now living in, it took us 2 years and we had a great time. We decided to rent a house here in QLD and continue to rent out our house in Vic, we thought we would settle here but that feeling after all of that has not left, and we are going home, cant wait. I am worried about jobs and will we sell our house here and will we sell our van etc. But do I regret what we have done no way. I did put myself through the feelings of failure but more because you know people at home think that you are having this wonderful life sitting by your pool at the beach surfing evryday etc, but then I thought at least we did it and now its time to back to where my heart belongs. We have organised Aussie passports etc but that is more for our children to give them the option when they are older to choose what is best for them. Bring on the cold days, the grey skies. Bring on family, friends, History, Culture etc. We dont hate Australia and we have made some wonderful friends here and we know a lot of them will come and see us. Just cant wait.

Guest LongwayDown

Good luck Punky Pom with your move home.

Its funny but i often wonder about the origin of the phrase 'whingeing pome'.

It seems to be associated with people wanting to return to the mother land who dont want to lie on a beach all day bored out of their head and echo that Australia is paradise.

Does that mean any Aussie who returns from London after his 2 year visa has expired is a whingeing Aussie??

Im still in NSW but its not for the beaches, its more of city lifestyle in Sydney.

How many people have been on European holidays for a few weeks, enjoyed the sunshine but once returning home are glad to be back in a cooler environment with a nice cup of tea?? Are they a bunch of whingers too?

I dont like Rugby league, but i understand many other people do.

Nobody is calling anybodies mother a name by returning home its just individuals discretion.

Guest gail.crease

We had a honeymoon period on our 2 week's reccie and that was it. When we arrived I was too busy organising work, kinder, place to live that I didn't have time to think about it. When our furniture arrived I burst out crying (very unusual for me to cry). Our furniture didn't belong here in the new place it belonged in our house in England then I realised that I didn't belong here either. I suffered my first real depression being here. It didn't help that I had a very difficult and stressful job. I was working lots of overtime and missing seeing the kids. I work much more here than in England and I didn't come here to work harder. I thought it would be an easier life. I was very wrong on that score. I fought really hard to break the depression like doing something different every week that I couldn't do in England and organised lots of girls nights with mum's from the kinder and school. I did meet ups with people from websites. It helped a bit. My depression comes back every winter here. If I'm going to be cold and stuck indoors I'd rather it be in England with lovely shops and friends, christmas, bonfire night to look forward to. I've been here nearly 3 years and I still feel displaced and do not fully belong. I'm starting a new job next week so I may get a new perspective on life here. Both our careers are going better than in the UK now and we earn more money but money isn't everything. The biggest problem for us is the weather in England. I'm not sure I can cope with not having a decent summer. Just 16 months until we can apply for citizenship then we'll make the decision.

I'm not 100% sure if it's England I want or it's just Australia that's not quite right for us. I worked and lived abroad for many years but always came home at least once a year. I can't do that in Australia as it's too far and too expensive with a family of 4. I have an opportunity to relocate to Singapore in my new job. I may do this after citizenship before going home for a while to see if we really do want to be in England.

Gail

I think some people know right away if Australia is going to work for them the minute they step off the plane.

No amount of research or hard planning can really prepare you until you arrive on these shores. Yes, you have moved to the other side of the world but day to day life still goes on - it is not all blue skies and gorgeous beaches - you still have to work and do the day to day mundane things.

My honeymoon period (if I would call it that) lasted 1 year.............I now feel the need to return to the UK. I have been here for 19 months now and everyday is a battle to hold it together. I do not dislike Australia but the pull to return is stronger than the need to stay.

I have always said that the minute your sanity is compromised, it is time to 'get out'..............just a pity that my OH and son refuse point blank to return to the UK !!!!

There is so much to take into consideration when planning to move to the other side of the world and I feel that we may well put more stock into concentrating on the trivial things like....size of house, pool, weather, beaches, barbies (again, my take on things)

Not really sure how to advise you on this one as we are all different - I do not look on this move as being a mistake, rather an experience not to have been missed.

Australia has a lot to offer - nothing will be handed to you on a plate - you have to work hard to make it what you want - if you want to.

I sincerely hope that things work out for you - whether it be here in Australia or back in the UK.

Gill

Archived