anyone in here emmigrating from rep of ireland???

Guest shirley v

Guest shark

confused irishman i think , the hole off Ireland want to escape, especially with that ugly fecker you is running the country ,down the drain.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest confused irishman

i think cowen looks like that dude from the new star wars movie. meesa thinks hes ugly. escape is definately the word.

Hi EVERYONE

We are hoping to go on a 457 sponsorship visa. My husbands sponsor is in Port Macquaire, NSW so we will be based around their initially. Have the x-rays and medicals send off and they have been delivered now we are awaiting the letter of employment from the migration agent. Sponsor really anxious to get my hubby over. He will go over once visa is granted and the kids and I will follow on after school finishes here.We really want to live in a place where other Irish like ourselves are so we can ajust quicker. Never been to OZ , have an Uncle and Aunt in Sydney with cousins also have very good friends in Hervey Bay. Anyone in the same boat?:yes:

Guest familyof3

Hi everyone, well we are flying over June 3rd just to activate our visa as we have no hope of selling our house at the moment, we got our perminent res visa in January and are heading to Perth. I really wish we were flying out for good but at the moment, activating the visa is all we can do. Going for 5 weeks so looking forward to that and doing all our research.

Confused Irishman the very best of luck to you and I hope things work out for you and your family and that your all back together before you know it!!!!!!!

K:wubclub:

Hi all, we're a family of 3 living on the Gold Coast, originally from Co.Cork. Loving it here, one of the best places to live in Australia i reckon.

The only downside for me is being so far away from family, it can be hard at times.

Good luck with the trip Confused, you and your family wont regret it.

Guest irishlass

hi we are a family of 4 plus one on the way living on the gold coast & loving it :biggrin:

but due to my partners work (he's in construction) we could be moving to brisbane as thats where his work is based and it takes him over an hour to get to work everyday !

I do love living on the coast but you know how it is, have to go where the work is !

have been here nearly 5 months now and love the lifestyle but miss the social aspects that home has, not so much ireland itself just friends and family etc...

Guest bcfrug

Hi Irish Lass.

Myself and Wife and little girl 4 yr old are hoping to head over next year. Awaiting SS at the minute from WA and have the 176 application submitted. Hopefully my trade (Fitter) will be included in the new state migration plan for WA and ill get pushed up to cat 2 of processing and hopefully within 8 months ill be on the way :) Here is to hoping anyway. I have a cousin on the gold coast in helensvale and i spent 6 months living on the east coast a few years back on a Working Travel Visa. We would really love to move to the gold coast area but not sure about work etc around Brisbane and schools etc. The majority of ppl seem to be looking into Perth. Where on gold coast are you guys and how are you finding it. I love that area and would love to be back there so we are praying everyday. Any tips you could give me would be much appreciated. What clubs are there for kids etc. Sports etc and the cost of living in comparison to WA. I know a lot to be answered but let me know your thoughts anyway and look forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards.

Guest Ciara
Just wanted to say hi, we're Irish, from 'the North'. We've been on the Gold Coast since Jan 09 and couldn't be happier.

Good luck with the process, it's all worth it in the end.

Take care,

Sheena

Hi Shenna,

My name is Ciara my husband Michael and our daughter Emily are from County Tyrone we are going to Brisbane in June for 3 weeks as we have to activate our visa's before June 17th and then we hope to make the move before the end of summer cant wait.. We live near (cookstown)... Hope to hear back from you... King Regards Ciara...

Guest familyof3
Hi Irish Lass.

Myself and Wife and little girl 4 yr old are hoping to head over next year. Awaiting SS at the minute from WA and have the 176 application submitted. Hopefully my trade (Fitter) will be included in the new state migration plan for WA and ill get pushed up to cat 2 of processing and hopefully within 8 months ill be on the way :) Here is to hoping anyway. I have a cousin on the gold coast in helensvale and i spent 6 months living on the east coast a few years back on a Working Travel Visa. We would really love to move to the gold coast area but not sure about work etc around Brisbane and schools etc. The majority of ppl seem to be looking into Perth. Where on gold coast are you guys and how are you finding it. I love that area and would love to be back there so we are praying everyday. Any tips you could give me would be much appreciated. What clubs are there for kids etc. Sports etc and the cost of living in comparison to WA. I know a lot to be answered but let me know your thoughts anyway and look forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards.

Hi bcfrug, I know how you feel we originally applied for Qld ss but hubbys trade pulled, hes a cabinetmaker, so we applied to WA and got our visa through in January, once you get SS the application should come soon after. We loved QLD but are going to give Perth a go..... well that is if we ever sell our house!!! we are heading over in June to Activate our visa and do soon research we have a little boy nearly two, are you using an agent or doing application yourself? we went through one based in Kildare and found them pretty good. Best of luck with the application. Kan

Guest bcfrug

Thanks Family of 3. Great your all heading out soon so fingers crossed the house shifts too ay :) Yeh ive been to QLD and loved it but hey maybe Perth is where we are meant to be. Who knows what awaits us all. We used the agent in Kildare too and find them excellent. Its the waiting that is a killer. Hopefully the New State Migration Plan will speed things up or not ?? Anyway thanks and chat soon

TRA Lodged 01 Oct 09...TRA Granted 03 Nov 09.....State Sponsership WA lodged 04 Nov 09....176 Visa Lodged 25Mar2010...Waiting Waiting Waiting

Guest IrishMelbourne

Hi all,

Just stumbled upon this page, had no idea so many Irish people leaving for oz!!

I am in the Prospective Marriage Visa app process at the mo, 5 weeks in and hired an agent as we got refused our De Facto last Nov so was so stressful and didnt want to risk anything this time.

Just my luck processing times have increased from 2 weeks to 12 since Jan 2010 :(

Been apart from my Fiancee for 12 weeks now and dying to get out of here!!

Heading to Melbourne, cant wait!

Guest Skerly

Hello :hug:

Yes I am Irish also, from Dublin originally to be exact. I have just moved to Sydney after spending abut 4.5 years in Melbourne. Loving the new change to be honest.

I have met very few Irish people during my time in Oz, so look forward to chatting to a few on here.

My husband is an Aussie and we have no kids as of yet, we met in Dublin in 2000 and got married in Sydney early '06, but decided at the time to settle in Melbourne. He recently was offered a great new role in the city here so we rented out our house and here we are in sunny Sydney :biggrin:

Happy to give any advice on Melbourne or Sydney re: work, property, work, general info. etc..

Guest confused irishman

hi all just arrived in brisbane today. it feels really strange. cant sleep and jetlag is getting the better of me. leaving the wife and kids was extremely hard and is not getting any easier, but i think it will be worth it in the end. if there is anyone from ireland who is coming to brisbane drop me a line and i'd be happy to share my experiences with you. kinda therapuetic for me too. reminds me we're not the only ones doing this.

cheers

jason

Guest epollard74

Hi, I am still living in Dublin and am currently in the process of gathering all the visa info. My partner is Australian and we are (hopefully) heading over on a Partner Visa. It's very daunting getting all the evidence together and trying to workout if we have enough. :confused:

Need to get the hell out of Ireland. As much as I love being Irish, there is zero prospects here at the moment so hoping to get out to Perth by Sept\Oct.

Any advice as regards collating evidence and how much we need in terms of say, a large ring binder. Any veteran visa application experts out there!!? :biggrin:

Guest vickey

Hi All

Note sure where i should be i am not great with forums. We are a family of 4 both myself and my husband are 30 and we have a 4 year old boy and a 20 month old boy. We are here in Sydney since 4th february. My husband got sponsored by a guy he worked for ten years ago when he was here for 3 months. he works in Construction.

Anyway i am really finding it extremely hard and i wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat. We decided i would not look for work until maybe Sept until the boys are settled and to be honest i taught i would enjoy not working for 6 months. We are living in a 2 bed apartment in Mascot which is very noisy because its so close to the airport. we said we would just take this as it was literally the best we came accross. We are looking for a house to move to when the lease is up but just not sure where to go.

Sorry if i am rambling i just have so many questions. I would love to know if there are any new families here like me that know absolutely noone, as much as i love my children myself and my husband have not even been able to go for a meal since we got here. We used to have a very good social life at home in ireland we had the grannys to babysit it was great its now i realise how lucky we were. The reason we left was of course the recession and i really miss my lovely home and garden and all of our nice things.

So basically anyone who is finding it hard and wants to chat or can tell me i will get over it soon and it will be all worthwhile i would love to chat to you.

Thanks

Vickey

Guest confused irishman

hi vickey

i know exactly how you are feeling. i landed in brisbane just over a week ago. i am also on the run from the recession. pm me if you or your husband wish to have a chat, if for nothing else than a bit of moral support. we can share our thoughts on what we left behind. i was also in the construction in ireland.

cheers

Guest Skerly

Guys it does get easier. I am here just over 4 years and I adore it here now. It's not perfect but my life is a heck of a lot better than it was in Dublin in a lot of areas. I never expected to get homesick, I was skipping out here in Jan '06, feeling sorry for all the people at home who wouldn't leave their 'Mammies' and turkey dinners at Christmas. Who thought and drummed down my neck; "Holy Mary Mudder of God - HOW can ye go ALL the way to AAASTRalia, what about your family!! what about this, what about that!!??!"..... feck off!

After the novelty of moving wore off after about 2 or 3 months, man it hit me like a steam-train. I'd spend every Thursday, Friday and Saturday staying up late downing bottles of wine whilst yabbering on the phone to my mates in Dublin and Galway until 2 and 3 am. The Irish pub became my new home and U2 and (God forbid) The Cranberries, never got so much airtime in my house after said pub at 1am on a Sunday morning...

This went on for about 8 months until I went back home for a wedding of a close mate in Ireland. Those rose tinted glasses I was wearing turned out to be filthy. I won't go into all the things I was so disappointed about when I stepped off the place and was driving through the city as they are all different to each individual but my homesickness almost completely washed away in favour of homesickness for Oz. I was annoyed at myself so spending so much time wallowing in homesickness the previous months (mind you I understand it can be very difficult to deal with HS and it can be debilitating).

I don't really know what advice to tell you both other than try to make some Irish mates to help you adjust and feel secure - although make effort with Aussies too, you didn't move here to be surrounded by the same of what you're used to back home. You have to embrace your new country. Listening to Gerry Ryan on RTÉ internet all day will make things worse (I know... been there, done that..!) try and get out at the weekends, get out into the warmer weather amd remember you have to be willing to make the effort, you can't just sit there expecting people to help you, you have to put yourselves out there and ask for it. Think of it like a new job - you have to make the effort or people won't bother with you. Tell people you meet in social situations you're new and would love to go for a drink or two, be the organizer, if you meet people arrange a Sunday down the pub or at a BBQ at your place. Head into an Irish bar (they are all over the place) and get chatting to people at the bar - generally you'll end up still there 4 hours later (half cut) and feel like you're at least starting to blend in. It is very tough at the start but I swear it does get easier and you will start to realise why you left home and what benefits you're gaining from being here. You can always go home whenever you want to, but give it a good bash first.

Best of luck and keep thinking positively. You're both only here for such a short period of time - anywhere would be difficult to settle into at such an early stage. Think of all the people back home who would kill to be able to live in a country like this and can't. It doesn't have to be forever but in the process you might find out that might be what you actually want, if not, sure you've given it a go and that experience can only stand to you and make you a better person. What would you be doing if you were back in Ireland right now - you'd be giving out how sh*te it is, how cold it is, how the weather is rubbish and there's never any summer anymore, how you've no money, how the country if f*cked, how everything is so expensive, how you're fed up doing the same humdrum thing over and over, how you'd be watching the same old cr@p on the telly and The Late Late every Friday with that **** Pat Kenny.... Grass is always greener. *Ok getting down off corny soapbox now*

Feel free to PM me too - am always up for a natter online :)

Guest confused irishman

fair bollox skerly.

been out today , got licence sorted got bank sorted, the car is next. made some calls for work. i went to a job interview the other day, was told i had the job just got to go through the apptitude testing so it could be a few weeks yet so looking for something to keep me going till then have set up a few chats with some roofing guys.all in all a positive day. still have those moments though. it will be six months before i can get the family over and am missing them like mad . all for the better though. tireoghain.. i may just take you up on that offer. thanks all.

Guest Skerly
fair bollox skerly

Ha! Love it! I miss the Irish banter

Irishman, there's a website called boards.ie - give that a whirl, there's a rake load of Irish on it and a lot are in Brissy, they often meet up for beers. I did it once whilst I was living in Melbourne, met 2 great mates out of it. Was a bit awkward at first but you tend to get chatting to one or two people online beforehand so when you meet you tend to feel familiar with each other already.

Must be very hard alright for you with your wife and kids back home, but 6 months will fly by, before you know it they'll be out.

Guest vickey

Thanks Skerly, I wish it was all that easy but when you have 2 lil men at home you cant really get out to see the Irish Bars. Hoefully i will just get over it and start meeting people soon enough and i am sure when we are in a house it will be much easier also. I am just one of these people that likes to plan ahead and i cant do that here because we dont know where Philip will be sent to work which is a pain becaise Harry starts school in Jan so we cannot move around then so i really hope i feel better by then and have met a few people.

Confused Irishman, are you here with Family??? We are hoping that the next job Philip gets will be in Brisbane as thats what was promised before we came over and everything is much cheaper there from what i have seen anyway.

Thanks for coming back to me anyway guys, I am off to the Gold Coast tomorrow for 5 nights so maybe thats just what i need to see how fab this country really is i will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again

Archived