anyone in here emmigrating from rep of ireland???

Guest shirley v

Guest hazeotoole

Hey Aiden,

Do you know anyone living in Clarkston or what made you decide on that suburb just curious we are heading North of Perth too hopefully looking at Craige, Carramar or Joondalup or Wanaroo not sure yet!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Samfire
Quotes back from two removal companies for a 20ft container, both for €4250. Was expecting it but still hurts (i know i know, it was going to be free but.......). I'm thinking of it as an 'exit levy' - blaming mr cowen.

Ha ha - maybe you should send the invoice to Mr Cowen - he can probably write it off as one of his expenses - that's what they're all doing!!!! Anyway, we were paying €4,300 for our container, so that sounds about right. We're going shared now, as we're renting the house out as furnished, so leaving most of our stuff behind - still waiting for the shipping company to get back with revised quote - let's hope it's halved!!!!

Guest aidan painter

clarkson has train station,shopping centre & its not far from either the beach or joondalup.our friends who are flying out at 7 30 in the morning have rented a house in clarkson for three weeks so we will know more when they have been there a few weeks

Hi. We live Co. Derry and are moving to Perth on 4th Jan 2010. We have 2 kids, 1 boy aged 17 and a girl who is nearly one. We are moving north of the river but not sure what area. We really need to get organised. Still doesnt seem real but the time is flying by and we will be there before we know it. Would love to get to know people before we get there. Thanks, Rhonda & John

Guest aidan painter

Hi rhonda and john.my wife is originally from derry...magharfelt!we have a 16 year old son and a 19 year old daughter,we hope to be movin first or second week in october.have you organised any relocation company for the move?i have a number for one which is irish and there a great help if you'd like it..

Guest familyof3

Hi Aidan, would you mind sending me that removal firms number when you can. Nice to have one recommended. Hope your friends go off ok....Thanks Kay

Guest aidan painter

hi kay, its not a removal company.they pick you up at the airport have short term house ready for you then long term. they can help you with anything else that makes the move easier and they are very reasonable.our friends got of ok they are in england at the moment flying to singapore at 11 55 they are using the same company so we will know more about them in a few days .

Guest familyof3

Oh that sounds fantastic, the very thing I was trying to source!!! would you mind giving me the contact details, would certainly make the move alot easier I would imagine. Thanks Kay

Hi Aidan, would you mind sending me that removal firms number when you can. Nice to have one recommended. Hope your friends go off ok....Thanks Kay

hi (and welcome)

we got quotes from two companies - Careline International (01 6233832) and Crown Relocations (01 8850171). Both good reputable international companies. Very close price structure (we got quotes from both for a 20ft container). We decided to go with Crown in the end only because they use their own company staff from door to door. Careline use one of three partner firms in oz to get your stuff from the port to your door. I'm absolutely sure that they offer a completely professional service - the only reason we went with crown instead was the 'feeling' that we would prefer a company that used all their own staff. But, like i said, both companies are reputable.

Also, when you're getting a quote from more than one company please ensure that they are quoting the same product e.g. do they pack/unpack your belongings, are all port fees/quarentine fees included. Ask for a 'door to door service incuding them packing it'. When you get the quotes back ring them up and 1. make sure its what you want and 2. ask them for their best price as you have another quote also (we got them to reduce their price by about 15% this way).

Hi Aidan. What a coincidence - we live in magherafelt! We moved here from Coleraine 8 years ago. Would love the number and any other tips you have. We have been really disorganised so would really need to start. Cant believe it is Sept already. My son has just turned 17 so it would also be great to chat to your 2 kids if they didnt mind. He is under jordymcc on this site. He is the one I am worried about. At the minute he is all up for it but I am worried that he might change his mind when he gets there if he doesnt have any friends. You must be getting excited with the big move only around the corner! Rhonda

Nice one Cuba! when you off now?

off soon ms o toole!! end of october actually. We've got friends in melbourne who want to come back to ireland for a holiday and are coinciding their holiday with us landing - so they're offering us the use of their house for the couple of weeks they're gone. Very nice of them indeed. So looks like the 30th/31st october. Haven't bought the tickets yet as we're still trying to figure out the best route to take (we've got three kids and they nor our fellow passengers could handle a direct flight). May go london singapore with Singapore Airlines.

Guest hazeotoole

Don't go London whatever you do its a nightmare expecially with kids try and see if you can get Frankfurt its a much nicer (smaller) airport. We did london at christmas and had so much hassle and my mam travels every year and she swares by frankfurt, or amsterdam is not bad either. Best of Luck with the move you wont feel it going now your so lucky to be heading off so soon!!! When is your last day in work :)

Don't go London whatever you do its a nightmare expecially with kids try and see if you can get Frankfurt its a much nicer (smaller) airport. We did london at christmas and had so much hassle and my mam travels every year and she swares by frankfurt, or amsterdam is not bad either. Best of Luck with the move you wont feel it going now your so lucky to be heading off so soon!!! When is your last day in work :)

frankfurt it is then, ta for the advice. When is my last day in work? technically, end of october. in reality, the day i found out i had the visa. haven't done a tap. i'm a complete liability to this place. i'm in work now. shameful, isn't it.

Guest hazeotoole

Thats too funny, my hubbie is counting the days too although he has 26 days leave to take so he is starting his leave on 20th Sep so that will give him a break from the place hopefully he will be handing in his notice when he gets back!!!

hey guys its a long time since ive used this forum well 2 months as yes i have moved to the land down under!!!! All is well here and we are living in melbourne south and so far so good we are enjoying it. hoping to start work in the next week as i feel the holiday should finish now! if i can be of any assistance drop a line

Hi everyone

I am completely baffled by this whole forum thing. I would really love if anyone could give me some advice please.

I will give you the basics so, my name is Vickey and married to Philip and we have 2 boys Harry who is 3 and Sam who is just gone 1. Philip left 2 weeks ago for sydney and has started working and he is coming back at christmas and then we are all to go in January.

The reason Philip has gone first is because we need to make sure he likes it before we make the big move because he would be more of a homebird than me, well we hope so anyway. He is finding it hard without us there but i am praying he sticks it.

So i would like as much info as you all have on moving companies and prices??? Schools??? renting our house in ireland??? where is the best areas in sydney to live with a family? anything you think i need to know please tell me i would really appreciate any help at all.

Thanking you in advance

Vickey

hey vickey

welcome to the irish section of pio. just say the poms bit really quickly and its like its not even there!!! Anyway, scroll back a few pages and you'll see some posts on two relocation companies - Crown relocations and Careline (i've given both phone numbers). Both are good companies - only difference i can see is that Crown use all their own staff in their 'door-to-door' service (yes, they even pack for you) whereas Careline use contract people on the other side (although, it must be said, they use reptuable people). Like i said, both are good companies.

With regard to schools i cant be absolutely sure about school starts in Syndey but i do know that in Victoria important date is April 30th. If your child is aged 4 by April 30th they can go to Kindergarten (like junior infants), aged 5 is Reception (senior infants), aged 6 is Year One etc.

Renting your house in ireland???? Thats a tricky question....What help/advice do you need? Consider using a rental company or estate agent - they usually charge somewhere between 6 - 9 % of the annual rent to oversee the rental (periodic spot checks, finding new tenants, taking care of maintenance etc). However, please please please do your research...get a reputable company to do this..go to their office, quiz them, get a feel for them - they're getting your money, you should be confident with them.

Can't give you any advice on sydney but if you have any other questions ask away.

c.

just our luck. Decided to book our tickets this weekend with Singapore for 31st October (crikey, its getting close) and their bloody website is down for maintenance. I smell a conspiracy......

Guest hazeotoole

Our flights are booked for 16th November we got the visa tuesday getting very real and scary now very upset all week about leaving friends and family its just mad here at the moment but will all be good in the end. Kids are enrolled in Wannaroo School will be living in Tapping when we get there with family is anyone else moving near Joondalup around that time?

Our flights are booked for 16th November we got the visa tuesday getting very real and scary now very upset all week about leaving friends and family its just mad here at the moment but will all be good in the end. Kids are enrolled in Wannaroo School will be living in Tapping when we get there with family is anyone else moving near Joondalup around that time?

Congrats Hazel, It is getting near now, isn't it. We just booked our tickets last night...landing in Melbourne on 4th November...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived