anyone in here emmigrating from rep of ireland???

Guest shirley v

I have worked all my life, self employed and am scratching around for work. I absolutely refuse to bring my children up dependent on benefits. I have been offered a job on a 457 visa and all going well, can't wait to move to Perth.

Good for You!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Hope it really goes well for you in Perth.

We are applying for a 176 to the ACT so fingers crossed :biggrin:

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SunshineSmile

Your dead right. My oh has been out of work for the last 12 months after beeing employed since he was 16 years old. Not good for the head space to be at the social welfare office in a q out the door and waiting 4 hours to be seen only to be told "fill this in and come back next week" then a court appearance to reduce child maintenance payments that he can no longer afford only to be told "sell your car its an unnecessary luxury" despite the fact that he needs it to actually collect his children for access because they live 10 miles away.. Judge was so out of touch with reality!

To be honest, at the risk of upsetting and I do not mean to offend but Australia has it so so so right protecting its borders by making it difficult to get a visa.. you actually have to have something to offer the country. Here, we have thousands of Eastern Europeans claiming every benefit under the sun or undercutting Irish wages.. crippling the economy.. yet if you went off to Hungary for example.. could you claim benefits over there if you were out of work? I dont bloody think so.. they dont have a social welfare system like ours.:arghh:

Sorry for sounding off :wubclub:

Hi,

We are heading out to Perth for a second time in 5 weeks. We originally emigrated Aug 08 and came back to Ireland April 09. Ireland has really gone downhill since we left in 08. Unfortunately our eldest daughter (17) will not come back with us for now and will stay with my Mum till she finishes school and then come over to Perth and go to uni. It took my husband ten months to get a job and when he finally got one 2 months ago was told yesterday that they were letting him go! We were going to go back in Sept but have decided to go back asap. I think with the state this country is in we would be crazy to let the visa expire and not get citizenship for ourselves and our kids. Would be nice to keep in touch with others from Ireland heading to Perth and maybe meet up when we get there.

Dor

PS. Tommyfour we went to the local Garda station to get our documents certified

just a quickie who in ireland can certify documents for a 457 visa application can a peace commissioner do it ?

depending if it needs to be witnessed by a notary public or a peace commissioner. A SOLICITOR will be able to certify for you as they have both but the costs are different.

If its just to witness its usually EUR 10 and if its notary our solicitors charged us EUR 50 per person

If its financial documents I believe a bank official can do that for you - I wouldnt say they charge anything but ................. on second thoughts maybe they would. It is Ireland afterall :rolleyes:

Hi,

We have a permanent resident visa, so I don't know if it's the same but we brought all the copies of our documents, passports, birth certs etc. to our local garda station to be certified and it didn't cost us a cent!

Dor

Hi,

We have a permanent resident visa, so I don't know if it's the same but we brought all the copies of our documents, passports, birth certs etc. to our local garda station to be certified and it didn't cost us a cent!

Dor

Wow Dor thats really good I didnt even think of the local garda station! - I think if you just need the docs witnessed to verify they are true copies it is fine but if it states on any of the documentation it should be witnessed by a notary public it may be different or else i just did myself out of EUR 100 :arghh:

Ah well you live and learn,

Hi,

Yep, we didn't go to any solicitor only the Garda....don't know if the rules have changed (we applied in 2007) It's hard to believe that you can get something for nothing in this country!! I have to say the Gardai were very patient with us, we brought in loads of docs and they just stamped them no problem. Hope this is still the case as all this emigration business costs a fortune and better to have the cash in our pockets than someone elses. Take care.

Guest allieanddermo

Hi,

We are also from Rep of Irl and have our PR visa went to Brisbane Aug 07

It cost us loads to get our stuff there and settle in,we didn't like it ,

It cost us loads to get all our stuff back again.. and now we are thinking of going back again

(this time with out all our stuff)

This country really has gone to s*it.. between the Gov and the Church they are ruining us and every day it gets worse..

Will let you know if we do make the move again

I keep reading on here all the posts about going and everyone is so hopeful and optimistic and I get hopeful and optimistic

and then I read on the "returning to the UK" thread and that makes me remember how we felt when we were there and unhappy.

Sorry for the moaning but Its good to get it off your chest...

Cheers

Allie

To all people migrating to WA WELCOME, I'm an Aussie and would like to offer you a bit of advice and hope that you find it useful.

STAMP DUTY in this state is the biggest income to state coffers after mining royalties,

As an example lets say that you intend to spend $500000 on a house/land the stamp duty would be approx $25000, if you bought a block of land say $200000 and the stamp duty $6000 you are $19000 ahead, as there is no stamp duty on the house you are about to build.

Next become an OWNER BUILDER this requires a license from the MBA ( Master Builders Assn ) costs approx $150 and takes a week.

You are now a builder grab the phone and start getting quotes, a minimum of 4 for each stage and don't need to accept the cheapest, as a rule I generally look for the most genuine ie grano, plumber, brickie, chippie, roofer, plasterer, paint it yourself and move in.

In the last thirty years i've renovated/extended 10 homes in Perth this way, the last being my current home on which I added a 50sqm.

The cheapest quote was $58000 I had it to lockup for $25000 in 8 weeks and to a far better quality to boot.

I'ts a lot of fun so if you want to save big bucks and don't mind getting your hands dirty go for it.

By the way there is still a few blocks available, like about 99.9% of the country, so we should be able to fit you all in at a pinch.

Once again WELCOME and best of luck with the "PUBLIC SERVANTS" and your visa woes.

Cheers,

Pete

was talking to friend in perth today and he said property had gone up by 11%, ahhh just what we want when its going down here. ?Would love to buy a block and build, thanks for the tip re stamp duty. was told to build 4 bed would cost about 250,000 by builder, any saving doing it yourself direct labour?

Talking of public servants, they are the only ones going to be left in Ireland, as everyone else is unemployed!!!

Yes Ireland is very picturesque and the guinness is lovely, but you cant live on it. Lost our business after 10 years building it up, then hubbie got a job, and then had 2 paycuts, to the point he wonders if he would be better off on the dole!! hes better to be working, but you feel your getting nowhere. Lived in Perth before, and cant wait to get back there.

Brother is also cabinetmaker, and is 7 months unemployed. The dole queues are full of trades. Fellas that have never been out of work.

Well see ye all in Rosie OGradys in Fremantle :jiggy:

cheers caz ... thanks pete, Im off to look at available blocks or sites as we call them!!

Guest ruthandjames

it seem's like all the irish posts here are the same ............. bad at the min in ireland no work no weather no fun the place has a bad vibe people are in hard times ya know its the rich are getting richer the poor are getting poorer !!!! i know in my case my oh is an electrician no work in ireland and has been working in scotland for the last 2 years and its been hard, but for our visa it had to be done for the work experence and i know a lot more people who if they could would apply but because their on the dole cant now thats double stuck.

Hi Ruth,

We sure are a depressed nation at the min. Everyone struggling especially families. I presume your still in Ireland and hubbie working Scotland? Oh thats a strain, but as you say, its needed for the visa.

You have just reminded me that it is a requirement to have recent work exp, better check my brother still qualifys!!! My step father is also out of work (self employed) and gets nothing for the past 6 months. The out of work self employed are the new poor in Ireland!! That was a statement from the St Vincent de Paul.

Anyway, we have a plan, to return to oz.

Hope all goes well for you and your family are reunited in sunny oz soon.

kind regards

caz

Guest familyof3

Hi everybody, just reading through all the threads including the returning to the uk one and I have my head wrecked. We got our PR visa through in Jan and have been watching our house price fall and the Perth prices shoot up since then. We are sick as when we started the process we would have been comfortable making the move now we are about 200,000 down on house alone and am begining to think sit still as if hubby looses job at least he would get dole here, afraid if we go and he cant get work we will be entitled to nothing and won't have enough to start over again in Ireland. Jesus this is a hard decision to make, thought getting a visa was the maiin problem really its only the beginning. I know we are lucky to have the choice to go but!!!!!!!! What is it really like out in Perth at the moment to all of you already there? Hubby a cabinetmaker. :chatterbox:

Guest confused irishman
Hi,

We are also from Rep of Irl and have our PR visa went to Brisbane Aug 07

It cost us loads to get our stuff there and settle in,we didn't like it ,

It cost us loads to get all our stuff back again.. and now we are thinking of going back again

(this time with out all our stuff)

This country really has gone to s*it.. between the Gov and the Church they are ruining us and every day it gets worse..

Will let you know if we do make the move again

I keep reading on here all the posts about going and everyone is so hopeful and optimistic and I get hopeful and optimistic

and then I read on the "returning to the UK" thread and that makes me remember how we felt when we were there and unhappy.

Sorry for the moaning but Its good to get it off your chest...

Cheers

Allie

hi

we were in sydney in 04, came back and are going back to live in brisbane this year. this country has left me with nothing. i must make this move 6 months before my family because of financial restraints. i am really struggling with having to do this. i am now 4 weeks away from leaving ireland. i am lucky enough to have a sister to help me in brisbane but am so bitter about leaving my family here with the debt till i can afford to send for them. i'm two years on the dole(roofer) that my wife claims for me because i wasnt entitled to anything because i was self employed. i've endured cut after cut and had my 6 year old ask me when i was going back to work. i had to lie to him. how the ****ers running this place can sleep at night is beyond me. i am dreading the next six months. but consider my self lucky to be able to escape.

like aa lot of others on this post i just needed to say it publicly get it off my chest. **** our government and everything they stand for.

hi

we were in sydney in 04, came back and are going back to live in brisbane this year. this country has left me with nothing. i must make this move 6 months before my family because of financial restraints. i am really struggling with having to do this. i am now 4 weeks away from leaving ireland. i am lucky enough to have a sister to help me in brisbane but am so bitter about leaving my family here with the debt till i can afford to send for them. i'm two years on the dole(roofer) that my wife claims for me because i wasnt entitled to anything because i was self employed. i've endured cut after cut and had my 6 year old ask me when i was going back to work. i had to lie to him. how the ****ers running this place can sleep at night is beyond me. i am dreading the next six months. but consider my self lucky to be able to escape.

like aa lot of others on this post i just needed to say it publicly get it off my chest. **** our government and everything they stand for.

Hey fella , o the best hopes it a works oot for you, stevie

Guest allieanddermo
hi

Hey Confused Irishman,

Why did you leave Sydney?? Thats where we were thinking of going next???

Hope Brissie works out for you, my sister also lives there but I was still homesick???

Good luck Allie

:eek:

hi

Hi Confused Irishman,

Can I say to you, I totally know how you feel, please dont beat yourself up over it. You are doing all you can for your family, and going over in advance to set things up is a sensible option, but understand you dont want to separate the family. Think of the end goal. (I suggested the same to my hubbie, he was reluctant at first, but said he would do it, if needs must). Hubbie was also self employed, he was also entitled to nothing when he had no work, and I was in hospital critically ill with MRSA I contracted in one of our lovely hospitals. Why treat go getters like this, who create businesses, create jobs, surely we need to feed our children aswell when things go belly up. St vincent de Paul say the self employed are the new poor in Ireland (that how much we are valued). My hubbie has loads of jobs he didnt get paid for, and customers bouncing cheques that he had to get a job. He was lucky, but he has taken a beating. We lived in Perth some years ago, and have decided to return.

Just want a new start. Its not helping here with all the doom and gloom and the monkeys that are running this country!! rip off the families. they are the ones that have been hit the hardest.

Wishing you loads of good luck in brisbane. your setting a great example to your son!!....

cheers caz

Guest cuba267

Just had a call from home and its safe to say i'm not missing it. five months here and loving it as are my wife and three kids.

Guest confused irishman

hey cuba

heading to brisbane. getting nervous now. have to leave the family for a few months. not looking forward to doing that. gotta do what you gotta do.

Archived