SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Hey guys,

Good news. My 309 visa came through today.

Also a straight forward application.

However also received notice the AHPRA want to refuse my general registration as a medical radiation practitioner :( so have to write a letter to the committee for them to consider. Always another hoop to jump through.

As anyone else encountered the monster known as AHPRA?

Good luck peeps.

WOW Big congratulations to you ;-)

Just for once I wish it wasn't Friday.......had to nip out and sort my old phone out (RIP old phone) with a new SIM card for DD's old phone. Once home it came to life and first ever email on a phone (for me) came through......from DIBP......this is what it said:

Regarding your partner visa application for Australia, the only outstanding document now is a copy of your sponsor’s UK visa or UK citizenship certificate. Please upload that document as soon as possible to your ImmiAccount.

He's an Aussie, born and bred, never held more than a visitor visa for the UK and certainly not citizenship, so I'm really confused as to why the CO is asking, and by the time I got to respond I guess the office was closed!! Now I have to wait until Monday - ARRGGHHH!

Edited by Wan2go

Just for once I wish it wasn't Friday.......had to nip out and sort my old phone out (RIP old phone) with a new SIM card for DD's old phone. Once home it came to life and first ever email on a phone (for me) came through......from DIBP......this is what it said:

Regarding your partner visa application for Australia, the only outstanding document now is a copy of your sponsor’s UK visa or UK citizenship certificate. Please upload that document as soon as possible to your ImmiAccount.

He's an Aussie, born and bred, never held more than a visitor visa for the UK and certainly not citizenship, so I'm really confused as to why the CO is asking, and by the time I got to respond I guess the office was closed!! Now I have to wait until Monday - ARRGGHHH!

You have applied for a PMV right? The request that has been made is for the partner visa and applicants, well sponsors do have to provide proof of their UK residence be it UK visa or citizenship proof. I would think your CO has missed the PMV bit. Your sponsor is residing in Aus and not resident in the UK. Drop them an email asap to clarify and see if this is correct.

Edited by Guest
typo

You have applied for a PMV right? The request that has been made is for the partner visa and applicants, well sponsors do have to provide proof of their UK residence be it UK visa or citizenship proof. I would think your CO has missed the PMV bit. Your sponsor is residing in Aus and not resident in the UK. Drop them an email asap to clarify and see if this is correct.

Did send the email, but they'd all gone home cos it's Friday!! We've applied for a PMV, and maybe because we have been together for 10 years that's what has thrown her??

Killer wait until Monday!

We had a similar issue, OH passport was destroyed with her ILR stamp within. My CO came back and advised she had to prove she hasn't taken British Citizenship whilst living here in the UK for the last 20yrs. We had to apply for Biometric Card to prove she still holds her Australian residency, as she is the sponsor for my visa. The Biometric Card arrived today after about 3 months, and after a visit to a Post Office that completes Retina Scans!

Another item off the check list!!!

Cheers MT

Did send the email, but they'd all gone home cos it's Friday!! We've applied for a PMV, and maybe because we have been together for 10 years that's what has thrown her??

Killer wait until Monday!

It might be because of that. I know when I applied for my partner visa hubby had to provide proof of UK citizenship or his visa as the sponsor and as we both were living in the UK at the time. PMV is a different thing though so I'd hope its easily sorted for you.

The longest times he has been in the UK was at first 3 months, then a couple of 6 month stints - ie max time on a visitor visa (about a year apart). Other times have been shorter, but just on visitor visas. We did provide a lot of evidence that would probably be good enough for a partner visa, give the time span! We are romantic old fools so have always kept every card, letter, ticket stub etc since the word go. Maybe we have muddied the waters - if he was only a 'visitor' to the UK, why did he have his name on a phone bill? Guess we wanted it for the Home Office as that was the planned direction at the time - whilst my father was still alive.

@Major Tom - how does the biometric card prove Aussie citizen ship?? Hope we don't have to do that!!

Roll on Monday........

The longest times he has been in the UK was at first 3 months, then a couple of 6 month stints - ie max time on a visitor visa (about a year apart). Other times have been shorter, but just on visitor visas. We did provide a lot of evidence that would probably be good enough for a partner visa, give the time span! We are romantic old fools so have always kept every card, letter, ticket stub etc since the word go. Maybe we have muddied the waters - if he was only a 'visitor' to the UK, why did he have his name on a phone bill? Guess we wanted it for the Home Office as that was the planned direction at the time - whilst my father was still alive.

@Major Tom - how does the biometric card prove Aussie citizen ship?? Hope we don't have to do that!!

Roll on Monday........

The requirements for a PMV are lquite a bit ess than for a partner visa so you probably didn't need to go overboard with extra evidence and stuff. I don't know if it helps or hinders tbh. I think so long as you supply what they have asked for in the check list, the stat decs, proof you have met etc, that should be fine for a PMV. I don't know they need heaps and heaps of extra stuff (things like pics and cards etc are not what is asked for anyways iirc). The partner visa application follows a marriage anyways and you have to submit more then, so time for all the rest later :)

I think a biometric card states your nationality on it. So if an dual citizen it would state UK on it, but if they only hold Aus citizenship it will state Aus.

This is a standard to be expected response tbh. The CO is not responsible for the tourist visa or them entering Aus and so can only give out the standard about such a visa and the requirements of it and what immigration will be expecting etc. They have no say in what immigration may do if they feel a person entering Aus on a tourist visa is not genuine etc. So they have to explain it this way.

Honestly, if you read all the blurb for the off shore partner visa is covers things like people are advised to not sell house, resign from jobs or any other major life changing things in advance of the visa grant. And for obvious reasons. They (CO's and the department) cannot definitively say a visa will be granted and neither can they say exactly when, if it is granted, it will happen. So the advice is to not put eggs into one basket and chuck everything in before a visa is granted. Makes sense to me. Anyone wishing to do this though does so at their own risk.

Now, having said that, quite a few do travel to Aus ahead of a grant (and if its just the partner its not such a big thing as a visa application including kids). Usually its in the latter stages when its perhaps a month or two away and not 4 months into a 10-14 month process. You don't say exactly when they plan to head to Aus. Is it soon as in a few weeks or a month or two, 3 or 4 months away, near the 10 month mark after lodging? I ask as if its soon, then yes, they could face issues if they are on a 3 month entry and so they will have to depart Aus at the end of 3 months and then re enter iirc. And so on. And of course, coming back in after one 3 month stint may raise eyebrows and questions. So might entering at any point on a longer term tourist visa on one way tickets. It is what it is and immigration are within their rights to question and deny entry if they feel the visit isn't genuine.

You says its the partner and kids entering on tourist visas. Are the kids therefore included on the partner visa application?

Thanks for all the info snifter..much appreciated! We had to go all through the visa stuff and remember the advice to stay put until your visa's are granted, which as you say is spot on. It was nearly 20 years ago but, so a lot has changed. They were planning to come to Aus in January, so 6 months into their application, but we have talked to our daughter about what you said as far as coming so early, and they have decided to wait until the beginning of April now. If the visa still hasn't been granted, at least it wont be too long away.

Thanks for all the info snifter..much appreciated! We had to go all through the visa stuff and remember the advice to stay put until your visa's are granted, which as you say is spot on. It was nearly 20 years ago but, so a lot has changed. They were planning to come to Aus in January, so 6 months into their application, but we have talked to our daughter about what you said as far as coming so early, and they have decided to wait until the beginning of April now. If the visa still hasn't been granted, at least it wont be too long away.

I think thats a wise decision with multiple people on the application. Hopefully the visa will be granted by then. Atm some people seem to be getting grants at close to the 10 month mark so fingers crossed for them all it keeps that timeline.

If they've booked their flights and have the tourist visas in place an email to the CO a couple of weeks before flying out might get the green light and get the grant notice before they depart. It might not, so they need to have a plan to fly off shore for 3 working days (NZ is good for this).

Also for kids I am not sure of how it would work for them to be enrolled at schools on a tourist visa. I think they can only attend for a limited time and possibly have to pay international student fees which can be a big chunk of cash. Far better to wait till the proper visa is through so they can attend as Aus residents from the off.

Hi all, my partner and I are having a hard time with the concept of another 7+ months apart and are planning for him to come and stay here while we wait for his visa. We have applied for a PMV visa though & I understand he has to leave the country for it to be approved. Does anyone have any experience of how this works in practice? The idea at this stage is for him to come out on a tourist visa and then fly out of Aus for the processing of his PMV (assuming immigration are happy to communicate about this so we can ensure he is out when he needs to be?). Any advice or suggestions on this? Thanks in advance

Roll on Monday........

I think it proves you still hold an Australian Passport and have indefinite leave to remain (the new name is 'No Time Limit') visa in UK, if you take UK citizenship the ILR (NTL) will be superseded by your new British Passport...............I'm not 100%, there are more knowledgable people on here that might add to this post.

Hello all, seeking advice/ideas? I am new to all this (not sure if posting the right way/place) and shocked at the cost and processing times?! & its hard to piece info together. We have just submitted what we think is a complete application for 309/100 visa. I have found and read the previous posts trying to figure out what to do as we have sold our house first this time (we have done this before and didn't sell in time) and although we can rent & wait, I was wondering if there was another way to do this as the processing adds another unexpected year, as with many I am quite sad about this. People have referred to the 457 visa and is it fair to say that my partner can apply for a 457 visa if we find a sponsor and can enter and work on this visa, whilst waiting for the 309/100 to be granted? We are early on in the process and have children who need to be in school so tourist visa not an option at this point? There was a previous post that suggested it was possible to enter on a tourist visa and apply for 457 from within - does this not cross the boundaries of being true to the intentions of the visa? if possible we will try to arrange a 457 before departure. Thanks in advance.

Hello. We applied for the free evisitor visa which you do via your online immi account. It took a couple of days to come through. My partner had the confirmation email they gave him printed out ready to show immigration when we got to Australia but they never asked for it. Everything is electronic these days so they would have had a record on his passport.

Thanks again ozmichelle for your help..it has been a big help to my daughter and her family..all the best for your future in Aus ;)

I think thats a wise decision with multiple people on the application. Hopefully the visa will be granted by then. Atm some people seem to be getting grants at close to the 10 month mark so fingers crossed for them all it keeps that timeline.

If they've booked their flights and have the tourist visas in place an email to the CO a couple of weeks before flying out might get the green light and get the grant notice before they depart. It might not, so they need to have a plan to fly off shore for 3 working days (NZ is good for this).

Also for kids I am not sure of how it would work for them to be enrolled at schools on a tourist visa. I think they can only attend for a limited time and possibly have to pay international student fees which can be a big chunk of cash. Far better to wait till the proper visa is through so they can attend as Aus residents from the off.

Thank you snifter for all the info and advise..it has been so helpful [emoji4]

Yeah hopefully not to long to go. Not stressed. Got time.

Has anyone on here had to deal with AHPRA registration? This is the one that's holding me up :)

We've not even started that process yet! Don't know where to start. Were you able to start before your visa was granted?

Hi all, my partner and I are having a hard time with the concept of another 7+ months apart and are planning for him to come and stay here while we wait for his visa. We have applied for a PMV visa though & I understand he has to leave the country for it to be approved. Does anyone have any experience of how this works in practice? The idea at this stage is for him to come out on a tourist visa and then fly out of Aus for the processing of his PMV (assuming immigration are happy to communicate about this so we can ensure he is out when he needs to be?). Any advice or suggestions on this? Thanks in advance

A tourist visa it may be possible to wait out the remainder of the time but 7 months plus is a bit of a wait. Immigration may question if they enter on a longer stay tourist visa re supporting themselves funds wise, their plans, return flight perhaps etc and if they are a genuine tourist (which he would not be really as he would be here to wait out a PMV grant). On the short stay 3 month one it would mean leaving and re entering Aus every 3 months and be aware immigration may question this too as to why he keeps coming back, funds etc.

He has to decide for himself if he wants to do this and if so, which tourist visa to apply for etc. These are the options for it, https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/Visi . The one most people get is the 601 or 651 3 month multiple stay visa.

You could also consider a holiday now for a little while, then he return to the UK and then comes over again for another holiday closer to grant time and stays a few months then and hopefully the visa is granted in that time. Or see if there are other options that could work for you.

The CO will need a valid email address to be able to contact re the grant and needs to know if he is going to be in Aus as the visa cannot be granted while onshore iirc. So they would email him, wait to be informed of when he is going offshore for his 3 working days and then grant it once he departs Aus.

Hello all, seeking advice/ideas? I am new to all this (not sure if posting the right way/place) and shocked at the cost and processing times?! & its hard to piece info together. We have just submitted what we think is a complete application for 309/100 visa. I have found and read the previous posts trying to figure out what to do as we have sold our house first this time (we have done this before and didn't sell in time) and although we can rent & wait, I was wondering if there was another way to do this as the processing adds another unexpected year, as with many I am quite sad about this. People have referred to the 457 visa and is it fair to say that my partner can apply for a 457 visa if we find a sponsor and can enter and work on this visa, whilst waiting for the 309/100 to be granted? We are early on in the process and have children who need to be in school so tourist visa not an option at this point? There was a previous post that suggested it was possible to enter on a tourist visa and apply for 457 from within - does this not cross the boundaries of being true to the intentions of the visa? if possible we will try to arrange a 457 before departure. Thanks in advance.

A 457 would require the job or profession being listed

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

It will only be viable if the state you are planning to move to is listing the profession/trade and if its where you want to be (no point being in Darwin when you want to live in Sydney for example) and also if your partner can get an offer and meet all the requirements either qualification or skills wise.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/457-

Keep in mind in the run up to Christmas and the school summer hols here less places are hiring. And it could take a few months to find a job in the area of Aus you want to be in. And then a little while longer for the visa to all be arranged (2-3 months possibly?). And then perhaps only a few months left till the partner visa is granted anyways (currently they do seem to be granting around the 10 month mark though this could change).

Personally, I don't understand why you didn't lodge an onshore application if you want to be there a lot sooner. Its the same cost as off shore partner visa application, runs at around 14 months and gives full work rights once the bridging visa kicks in.

Are your kids Aus passport holders btw? Or on the partner visa application? If they are on the application, bear in mind a number of states charge full fees for education on a 457 also, so that would run into thousands of $$. If they are Aus citizens (by descent or by birth) and Aus passport holders they can enter Aus and attend school from of the off no matter what. So even if your partner enters Aus on a tourist visa, they don't, they would enter on their Aus passports and be fine. You being the Aus pp holder and citizen would be the one to sign them up for school etc.

IMHO you'd be better to wait for the off shore now you've set the wheels in motion. Although you could explore the 457 and see if the skill/trade is on the list. And more importantly, that the job is in a certain area of the state or even city you want to be in.

Also, if your kids are Aus passport holders, you could consider heading out there a couple of months before the earliest expected grant date and your partner could be the one on holiday for a little while (tourist visa for this purpose), doing the school run and being the stay at home parent for a little while IYKWIM. And then once the visa is ready to grant, its a head off shore for 3 working days, visa granted and then re enter Aus and away he goes.

Shipping your house contents will be fine as you being the Aus passport holder will be the one who has to sign the paperwork (we did this and although I had my visa before we left the UK, I just let the Aus hubby sign for it all as it made it easier the other end also we hoped). Was fine, didn't need us both to sign for shipping.

I think I've got everything though am happy to stand corrected.

Edited by Guest
added a line

Thanks Snifter,

On hindsight, I agree. We have been blindsided by the processing time. We were granted the 100visa (paper application) 8 years ago 3wks (processing time was said to be 6mths) after submitting and didn't go because we couldn't sell the house in time to validate, it was less than £2000. P1 of this thread talks about processing taking 12 wks (back in2009). Selling has also taken a long time this time and then to find out the cost has trebled (we have more kids this time) & that its potentially another 10-14 mths... The process has obviously become more complicated and protracted over time. Luck favours the prepared, I should've done more homework. This however may work in our favour!

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/migration-issues/47052-fall-immigration-australia.html