SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Its easier said than done, flying over to oz to validate, Its not a cheap trip!

I would email your CO and explain the situation and ask whether doing your medicals later would help with your situation. It does certainly seem like the later you do them the more time you have to activate :)

No its not but when you apply for the visa you do so on the understanding the timeframe of grant and also the timeframe within which to validate once it is granted. Making the move permanently later once you've applied is not immigrations concern, hence the validation period. Then having a good few years to actually make the move. Everyone who applies for a visa has this understanding, not just partner visa applicants. It does sound harsh but if we all changed the goal posts on when we wanted to move to Aus after a visa application we would be stuffing up the visa process all round. In all my years on here, the process is the process and while we often don't like it, sometimes it does not fit in with the way our lives unfold for whatever reason, we work and get on with it. The occasional person may have very extenuating circumstances but they are rare. If a person does have circumstances the CO considers extenuating, I hope they do get their process delayed. But if its not extenuating, why should they be any different to anyone else?

It is worth emailing the central contact email. The CO may say sure, fine, ok delay your meds and police check for 3-4 months because you can't move over permanently till Dec 2016, we don't mind delaying for you. This will give the person a matter of weeks in which to validate if meds and police check are done in Dec 2015. Perish the thought things go wrong in the run up to that small window and they don't end up flying to Aus and making first entry and the visa lapses. Or the CO may not delay that long on meds and police check and say the visa process will carry on regardless and a decision will be made on the evidence supplied etc.

I've never heard of anyone doing this simply because they don't now plan to move (for whatever reason) until a later date so want to delay their application process. Occasionally women have to delay their medical due to pregnancy but again, the medical is asked for once the baby is born and the process carries on and the visa is granted usually soon after if its within the timeframe they state. But the validation would go from the date of the police check if this is done sooner, so they still have to move or validate to whichever date. People validate, even if they do have to suck up the cost of a return flight to Aus.

You choose when to apply at a certain time, you work to that and if for whatever reason the move date has to change, you make the validation trip same as many before have done so. My husbands grandmother was in ill health and toward the last few months of my visa process she got worse, but I would never have presumed to ask them to speed up the grant so we could make the move sooner before she passed away. Nor would I have skipped the validation trip if that is what had panned out for our move and we didn't/couldn't move within the validation timeframe.

Meds and police check are valid for a year. Its down to CO discretion if they allow these to extend for extenuating circumstances or whatever. It doesn't seem to happen often, usually if people do them too soon and they don't leave enough time to validate the other end. They ask for them around the 6 month mark for this reason and this allows usually around 6 months in which to validate after grant. The OP would be asking to be pushed back in the queue and delaying their application because they don't plan to move till Dec 2016. The CO may be happy to do this, but it may not be something they will entertain. If someone wants to ask, go for it.

Edited by Guest
removed a line or two

I totally agree with majority of what you are saying. I just think that its more common than not that they extend the medicals. Looking at the grants that have happened people tend to have 18 months after their medicals have been taken... approximately 6 months from medicals to the grant and then a year from grant to validate. Plus the Department has told me that they can extend your medicals for 6 months.

My opinion is that life is too important not to ask the question and I cant see any harm in asking.

I too find myself in a situation where I need as long as possible for activation date and just wish I had known to hold off on my medicals for as long as possible.

I totally agree with majority of what you are saying. I just think that its more common than not that they extend the medicals. Looking at the grants that have happened people tend to have 18 months after their medicals have been taken... approximately 6 months from medicals to the grant and then a year from grant to validate. Plus the Department has told me that they can extend your medicals for 6 months.

My opinion is that life is too important not to ask the question and I cant see any harm in asking.

I too find myself in a situation where I need as long as possible for activation date and just wish I had known to hold off on my medicals for as long as possible.

Then hopefully the person asking will have theirs extended if need be if circumstances are deemed to be reason for it :) I have no issue with that if its a genuine serious enough reason.

I do think other circumstances would be taking the pee somewhat and would prefer not to see that sort of thing OK'ayed by CO's as it makes a mockery of the visa process for everyone else who goes through it and validates or moves within the validation timeframe. All IMHO.

ETA - I think given the amount of posts I read on here since I wandered back, I shall cobble together some basic partner visa info so people can find it and have a read and be informed ahead of applying. All the stuff like medical and police check validity and bearing on visa grant and validation period is easy enough to find but some people do miss it and are unaware of the simple steps they can take to give themselves a longer window at the other end. And some other stuff re supporting evidence etc.

Edited by Guest
added a bit

The visa process doesnt need a hand making a mockery of itself. It is a mockery already.

The fact that people have to come to this website to find out things, which should be readily available from the Department, is a joke!

People still miss stuff on this site alas. The Aus immi site isn't the reference point people need to be looking at. Yes it has info but other than the online account, its not really where people need to look to find out more about the partner visa process. If lodging off shore in London, the Aus High Commission website is the reading matter I refer people to for the process.

http://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_partner.html

It doesn't cover the online application (that is done via the immi site still of course) but the process, waiting times, expectations and medical and police check info is all covered. If people read this before they applied they'd probably have a heck of a lot better understanding of the process and know what to expect. It was a big reference point for many when I applied for my visa.

Wow!!!! Fab news - I'm not on here much at the moment due to scrambling around working etc before we go on tourist visas (will be 6 weeks yesterday!!!) but when I do there is always someone who has had the visa nod which is really encouraging!!!! Bet you have THE biggest grin handing your notice in :-) x

finally got the best news of my life :) got granted the 100 today!!! 9 months and 4 weeks. Cannot wait to see my husband, planning on the big move mid November, just got to give my notice at work eeeeekkkkk feels real now!

Congrats, happy for you, enjoy the reunion.

There might be silence for a while for visa grants. There's almost a month gap from the application date of Mrsguvs and Laura who is waiting.

When I applied in December, the visas were coming through between 8.5-9 months ... and they've definitely gone up to around 9.5-10 months. Since there's been two price hikes since I applied, I imagine the waiting times will slow down for the rest of you, but only time will tell!

This forum is fab - it's great for me to be able to track things and feel reassured my application was solid. I'm checking this forum most days and my partner completely ignores it, but he's always counted down the days until my flights arrive to see him, which I find tortuous!

Edited by Eifster

Has anybody delayed getting their medicals and Police clearance done ? And if so by how long ? In all likely hood looking for December 2016 move so would need to delay these until 17 Dec this year ? How quickly after submitting Police Checks and medicals are visa's usually granted ?

Applied 309/100 28 February 2015

CW assigned 23 September

The best thing you can do is email the CO and ask them when is the latest they require the Police/medicals. We applied 31/12/14 and we had until 30/09/2015 to submit ours.

My wife is a school teacher and as she can only travel to validate during school holidays we needed as long as possible after the grant to do this, this will allow her to travel in summer hols 2016.

We are not intending to move to Australia until 2017 as we have one child finishing GCSE and another A levels.

It may be costly to go and validate but that's part of the process.

CONGRATS to everyone who has been getting theirs recently..... hopefully some more of us will get ours soon as we are hitting the 9mth mark ;-)

The best thing you can do is email the CO and ask them when is the latest they require the Police/medicals. We applied 31/12/14 and we had until 30/09/2015 to submit ours.

Thanks for this. The timeline you gave is what I was thinking it would be. Apply, medical and police check asked for at around 6 month mark, those expected back by the 9 month mark in readiness for the visa grant timeframe start point of 9/10 months. This giving about 6 months to validate after grant if grant occurs around 9-10 months after lodging.

I wonder if like any information requested during the application process that there is a time limit in which to submit them. I know for other info a CO will state 28 days or some such to get documents to them. And that they say that failure to provide will just mean they carry on and make their decision based on the information they have, complete or not.

Thanks for this. The timeline you gave is what I was thinking it would be. Apply, medical and police check asked for at around 6 month mark, those expected back by the 9 month mark in readiness for the visa grant timeframe start point of 9/10 months. This giving about 6 months to validate after grant if grant occurs around 9-10 months after lodging.

I wonder if like any information requested during the application process that there is a time limit in which to submit them. I know for other info a CO will state 28 days or some such to get documents to them. And that they say that failure to provide will just mean they carry on and make their decision based on the information they have, complete or not.

Not sure about that one ... a part from the Police checks and Medicals everything else we supplied was on time or when we were requested by the CO.

This certainly makes an for interesting read....

I am still wrapping my head around it all, but essentially the federal court has ruled that de facto partners no longer need to be lving together prior to applying for a De Facto Visa!

The Migration Tribunal held that there was no requirement in the Migration Act that the parties live together before a de facto relationship can be found to exist. The Tribunal concluded that the requirements for a “de facto” relationship had been met.

Conclusion

The appellant’s construction of s 5CB of the Migration Act, which does not require that the parties physically reside in the same premises prior to the application, is supported by the plain meaning of the section. It is consistent with other provisions of the Migration Act.

Have a read.... :)

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/FCAFC/2015/69.html

This certainly makes an for interesting read....

I am still wrapping my head around it all, but essentially the federal court has ruled that de facto partners no longer need to be lving together prior to applying for a De Facto Visa!

The Migration Tribunal held that there was no requirement in the Migration Act that the parties live together before a de facto relationship can be found to exist. The Tribunal concluded that the requirements for a “de facto” relationship had been met.

Conclusion

The appellant’s construction of s 5CB of the Migration Act, which does not require that the parties physically reside in the same premises prior to the application, is supported by the plain meaning of the section. It is consistent with other provisions of the Migration Act.

Have a read.... :)

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/FCAFC/2015/69.html

That came up a while back. However ir=f de facto partners aren't living together they need good proof of why, and of how they sustain their relationship.

Long time reader and lurker, but have followed you all religiously!!

Wanted to share the good news that my husband has been awarded his 309 visa today, exactly nine months since application! Applied on 29th Dec 2014, had LC and have to enter by 31st July 2016 (one year after police check which was earlier than medicals).

Beyond excited right now, but it's not really sunk in. When we watch Masterchef Australia tonight I can say - 'We're going to live there!'. Finally going home!! :D

Good luck to everyone still waiting, hoping it comes super quickly for you all!!!

What date did your CO want them by? If you don't have them back just send in the receipt or proof of requesting them so the CO can see yu have at least started the process.

They never specified a date (except a birth certificate which I had 28 days to upload). I have emailed the CO telling him what the go is with the FBI check.

Long time reader and lurker, but have followed you all religiously!!

Wanted to share the good news that my husband has been awarded his 309 visa today, exactly nine months since application! Applied on 29th Dec 2014, had LC and have to enter by 31st July 2016 (one year after police check which was earlier than medicals).

First grant I have seen for someone who applied after me! 9 months exactly is pretty decent.