good old england

chippy2

Guest Chrissy
I should have realised what I was in for when I first got here in 1997 or was it 1998 can't remember now so long ago.... when at checkout in supermarket and check out chick asked to see the contents of my handbag - I lost it and tipped whole contents all over the counter and asked her if she was happy that I hadn't hidden an unpaid for tin of baked beans in amongst my cosmetics - I am now used to this practice and always offer to show contents of any bag I have with me to the check out assistant when I leave - I'll have to get out of the habit before I get home !!! And I have been so tempted when asked the "how are you?" by a complete stranger to say - "well actually I've just been diagnosed with an incurable disease and only have 6 week's to live"...... of course realise they are only doing their job - think it may be an American thing this "sincere concern" for a complete strangers wellbeing??!!! Must be in the customer care training manual.

lol !! very good

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest London Girl
I should have realised what I was in for when I first got here in 1997 or was it 1998 can't remember now so long ago.... when at checkout in supermarket and check out chick asked to see the contents of my handbag - I lost it and tipped whole contents all over the counter and asked her if she was happy that I hadn't hidden an unpaid for tin of baked beans in amongst my cosmetics - I am now used to this practice and always offer to show contents of any bag I have with me to the check out assistant when I leave - I'll have to get out of the habit before I get home !!! And I have been so tempted when asked the "how are you?" by a complete stranger to say - "well actually I've just been diagnosed with an incurable disease and only have 6 week's to live"...... of course realise they are only doing their job - think it may be an American thing this "sincere concern" for a complete strangers wellbeing??!!! Must be in the customer care training manual.

Oh I know, that happened to me with my bag and I was absolutely fed up I refused to let them look in it. I complained to the manager of woolworths who gave me a blank look and said that is how things are done in this country ! I didnt know australia had different policys when you go in shops than anywhere else.

It is quite soul destroying really that we feel like we have to show them the contents of your bag it is wrong, in so many way where is the trust.

I think our final straw really came when we realised that what we thought we didn't have we really did such as people that are ready to talk to you rather than put their noses up and the countryside, the smog even I miss it all and cant wait to get back to cold crisp mornings and central heating and christmas's, spring, summer cant wait the more I think about it.

Yes we have nothing but we have a British passport and that is worth more than all the money in the world if it meant staying in Australia.

Guest barab
I have just read the post and find it fascinating that I am not the only one that really feels this way. I am so glad that others have seen what I have such as the people, the boring beaches the droll every day life. I have booked our flights home and cant wait to get there. We are going back with nothing at all, Australia made sure it sucked our money up but when we get there we will be happy, poor but happy as I dont think I could possibly stand one more how are you from a shop worker without losing it.

Good on everyone who is going home for giving it a try, the grass is definately not greener, more baron I would say.

Yeah,they sucked a lot of our money also,before we left.

They tried not to give our rental bond back from our old rental,estate agent fees....for what may I add??The car guy gave us a price for the car,then changed his mind,likewise with the shipping company.

Shambles of a country in my experience!

Maybe it's just because the place sucks Full Stop!!

Guest London Girl

One thing I have noticed which really worried me is how I started to feel old living in Australia. I am only 40 but have been feeling past it, almost lifeless lost the spring in my step but now that we are going home am starting to feel renewed. It is amazing what an environment can do to someone.

And I have been so tempted when asked the "how are you?" by a complete stranger to say - "well actually I've just been diagnosed with an incurable disease and only have 6 week's to live"...... of course realise they are only doing their job - think it may be an American thing this "sincere concern" for a complete strangers wellbeing??!!! Must be in the customer care training manual.

You have hit on one of my absolute pet peeves! Dont you just hate it when you are browsing in a shop and a pimply youf comes up to you and says "how are you today?" What they really mean is "can I help you?" or "are you looking for something in particular?" but, no, it is alway "how are you today?". I usually try and ignore them if I have my ipod headphones in in which case they angle round to catch me in the eye or leave me alone. If I do happen to hear them then I usually turn and give them a real beaming smile and say "absolutely fantastic thank you and how are YOU?" and wait for them to engage in the exchange of feelings discussion. They are usually so nonplussed that they go red and dont know how to ask me any more.

I am at home at the moment and it hasnt happened to me once but when I have approached a sales assistant they have all been pleasant and polite and very helpful. I have only been "invisible" once too - you know when they look right through you/past you because you are a non descript middle aged woman and there are tall handsome blokes or gorgeous women also in the "queue". Happens all the time in Aus.

Guest brooksey

Think i might be joining you in the near future chippy. I getting fed up to the teeth of this place. I think i might be on my own though as wife will prob stay here.

The whole bag checking thing cracks me up. Who is going to put anything in their bag? Everyone knows they get checked on the way out. Just stick it up yer jumper and then let them see in your bag. I must have had 20 iPod's out of kmart. The security bods are thick as ****.

Sorry, I'm having a bad day too.

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

It's very hard to feel full of enthusiasm and energy when your life/career is in free fall. When we think of our old life in England it fills me with good vibes and I start to feel re-energized. The thought of meeting up with my mates for a fri night session in a real English pub gets my heart rate pounding. I wish I could turn back the clock and go back to my old job and life. I find pleasure in sleeping as when the alarm clock goes off my morale sinks and I have to drag myself out of bed to go to work. I miss the banter and outstanding British sense of humour. I am gobsmacked by the lack of it here in Oz, or is it just me? We came here with honest intentions and am sad to say we really can't wait to go home. I too find the "how you going" and "how are you" thing highly annoying.

I am now planning our return and my morale and spirits start to lift. We're dreaming of a white Christmas, family, friends, cold crisp mornings, old English pubs, British humour, English countryside, seasons, British people, old buildings, live sport rugby/football (real football, not soccer). The list could go on and on.

I remember when Tony Blair made a statement just before he stood down as the PM. He ended with words to the effect of: " I believe Great Britain is the finest country in the World". As we were focused on Oz at the time I believed the grass was greener. Well, I was wrong Mr Blair and you were right!

Guest London Girl
It's very hard to feel full of enthusiasm and energy when your life/career is in free fall. When we think of our old life in England it fills me with good vibes and I start to feel re-energized. The thought of meeting up with my mates for a fri night session in a real English pub gets my heart rate pounding. I wish I could turn back the clock and go back to my old job and life. I find pleasure in sleeping as when the alarm clock goes off my morale sinks and I have to drag myself out of bed to go to work. I miss the banter and outstanding British sense of humour. I am gobsmacked by the lack of it here in Oz, or is it just me? We came here with honest intentions and am sad to say we really can't wait to go home. I too find the "how you going" and "how are you" thing highly annoying.

I am now planning our return and my morale and spirits start to lift. We're dreaming of a white Christmas, family, friends, cold crisp mornings, old English pubs, British humour, English countryside, seasons, British people, old buildings, live sport rugby/football (real football, not soccer). The list could go on and on.

I remember when Tony Blair made a statement just before he stood down as the PM. He ended with words to the effect of: " I believe Great Britain is the finest country in the World". As we were focused on Oz at the time I believed the grass was greener. Well, I was wrong Mr Blair and you were right!

But you know what is so great about coming to Australia and living there for a while, it makes you realise what you really had and appreciate it all the more because of it.

So thank you Australia for that it definately was worth the bad experience, loss of money and feelings of despair to find out that we had it all in the first place.

Guest snow white
Think i might be joining you in the near future chippy. I getting fed up to the teeth of this place. I think i might be on my own though as wife will prob stay here.

you still not having much joy looking for work lee? barbie at ours sat to cheer you up 1pm onwards if you fancy it

lesley x

Guest Oggy26

Me and my family have been thinking of upping sticks and following in the "Australian dream"....I decided to get onto a forum to see what comments are being said....I am so glad I have, it had really changed my mind about going. Is there ANYTHING good about going, and no I don't mean the coming home bit!!!!! Any advice or guidance greatly received :)

Good for you london girl.... i cant bear it any longer, we have been here for over 5 months and the aussie's drive me insane ! give me an essex girl to chat to any day (cant believe I would EVER say that). Its been nice, thanks but no thanks, I wanna live with people that have humour and a bit of savvy ! good luck,

speaking of humour let me tell you something

i was talking to a girl on the phone who worked for an job agency, and i had to do a medical for a certain job

she told me to make sure i wear un derwear

i asked her "how do you know i don't wear underwear?"

5 second silence then change of subject

i told this to a group when i was down the pub playing poker and only the blokes laughed and a kiwi girl but the young aussie girls didn't even smile and thought i was being literal! doh!

amazing innit?

who has a house and can tell me how much is his local council tax in Oz?

I asked in melbourne and sydney and was little shocked - in southern sydney and eastern melbourne about 20 miles away of cbd it is about 250$ a month..so in pounds it is about 100 pounds a month!!!! not much cheaper than in the UK...but more info is required

it doesn't bother me at all when they say how r you in fact i think it's good, but only when i reply (this is paticularly in clothes shops), and they have already looked the other way and don't want to engage any further in a shop that is actually empty and therefore not busy

Guest proud2beaussie

Oggy26,

I would suggest that before you decide not to try Australia that you have a read through many of the positive threads here on PIO about the Australian experience rather than relying on a "good old England" thread which to be honest is not exactly balanced,there are many pluses for trying Australia including the lifestyle,the weather,the people,the scenery,the open space etc.

I've lived here 44 years and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the long term,admittedly there are problems on the employment front at the moment but the UK is having just as big a problem.

Honestly there are more reasons to try Australia than there are not to.

23,000 Britons made the move to Australia in 2007-08 and about 21,500 are still here,happy in their new life downunder-and they can't all be wrong,can they?

You can keep on reading this thread if you wish,but do as I do and take most of the comments with a large bag of salt.

Guest 0405delboy
Oggy26,

I would suggest that before you decide not to try Australia that you have a read through many of the positive threads here on PIO about the Australian experience rather than relying on a "good old England" thread which to be honest is not exactly balanced,there are many pluses for trying Australia including the lifestyle,the weather,the people,the scenery,the open space etc.

I've lived here 44 years and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the long term,admittedly there are problems on the employment front at the moment but the UK is having just as big a problem.

23,000 Britons made the move to Australia in 2007-08 and about 21,500 are still here,happy in their new life downunder-and they can't all be wrong,can they?

You can keep on reading this thread if you wish,but do as I do and take most of the comments with a large bag of salt.

Dont listen to NIGELINOZ - hes an Aussie!!! :twitcy:

it's true about the humour it just cannot compare, although it is far more pronounced in the women

the hi how r u isn't what really annoys though, it's the vaccuosness that follows it

Me and my family have been thinking of upping sticks and following in the "Australian dream"....I decided to get onto a forum to see what comments are being said....I am so glad I have, it had really changed my mind about going. Is there ANYTHING good about going, and no I don't mean the coming home bit!!!!! Any advice or guidance greatly received :)

it's very difficult to say

in general the majority of families end up wanting to stay here but not young singles basically

sorry mate read it wrong way,now i understand,yes totally agree,are you happy there or are you returning like so many i know,cant beleive how many come back when you look into it,same story with most ie the licences or education and even no sense of humour,must still be jet lagged myself and more defensive have come back a changed man after all the bollocks and bull#### i had to put up with out there,didnt mean to take your post the wrong way mate:hug:

no problem

Guest Dave 'n' Sam

There's plenty of things good about going, but nowhere is perfect. Remember this forum is all about an individuals perceptions. What doesn't work for one may well work for another. Use people's experiences on here as a guide, not as the be all and end all. Only you can decide whether it suits, not anyone else.

Good luck in whatever you decide...

Oggy26,

threads like these are from people who have actually migrated and come across pros and cons,unlike aussies who have lived nearly all there life there,there are alot of good things about oz,the main thing about oz i liked was leaving,as i found alot of the aussies are racist towards the english and i for one was not going to bring up a family under them circumstances.sure the outdoor life is great,but gets too hot and very mondane.once the novelty wears off theres not much else australia has to offer.ther was plenty of days it rained in queensland and not much inside for a family to do.this is an honest thread and not one that glamorises australia,just wish there was more on before i moved over*******************************************:twitcy:*************************************************

forgot to say,i would take australian replys too with a bunch of salt:laugh:

Guest brooksey

When you apply for a construction job here 19 times out of 20 you talk to an answer phone. Your accent gives you away and i have only had 1 reply from scores of messages and that was from an Irish man. Mind you i can't fault them for looking after thier own but it doesn,t help us.

Archived