good old england

chippy2

Guest brooksey

That could be because most are going home in 2009/ 2010 after giving it a chance. Me and mine are giving it a while longer to make sure. I have a house to build and then we'll make a choice. Walking the dog through forrests and moorland to a country pub is a thing i miss a lot. Along with football(both sat with lads and sun with kids football)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That could be because most are going home in 2009/ 2010 after giving it a chance. Me and mine are giving it a while longer to make sure. I have a house to build and then we'll make a choice. Walking the dog through forrests and moorland to a country pub is a thing i miss a lot. Along with football(both sat with lads and sun with kids football)

Maybe but I don't think so!

23,000 Britons made the move to Australia in 2007-08 and about 21,500 are still here,happy in their new life downunder-and they can't all be wrong,can they?

not sure were you got your figures from,maybe the australian immigration agencys that are still advertiseing here for the shortage of skilled workers.as know loads of peolpe first hand who have moved back,been back a while,or are in the process of moving back.australia works for some but not for others,it took me 3months in australia to realise my standard of living was far superior in the uk to oz.i know we will disagree on this as yourself has been there years and it is now home,to me yorkshire is home and always will be,sure it isnt redhot eveyday but people are (genuinely) freindlier,foods better,beer better and scenary and you can get work without predjudice:idea:

not sure were you got your figures from,maybe the australian immigration agencys that are still advertiseing here for the shortage of skilled workers.as know loads of peolpe first hand who have moved back,been back a while,or are in the process of moving back.australia works for some but not for others,it took me 3months in australia to realise my standard of living was far superior in the uk to oz.i know we will disagree on this as yourself has been there years and it is now home,to me yorkshire is home and always will be,sure it isnt redhot eveyday but people are (genuinely) freindlier,foods better,beer better and scenary and you can get work without predjudice:idea:

it was home from the moment I landed!

don't forget to change your location!

Guest London Girl
threads like these are from people who have actually migrated and come across pros and cons,unlike aussies who have lived nearly all there life there,there are alot of good things about oz,the main thing about oz i liked was leaving,as i found alot of the aussies are racist towards the english and i for one was not going to bring up a family under them circumstances.sure the outdoor life is great,but gets too hot and very mondane.once the novelty wears off theres not much else australia has to offer.ther was plenty of days it rained in queensland and not much inside for a family to do.this is an honest thread and not one that glamorises australia,just wish there was more on before i moved over*******************************************:twitcy:*************************************************

I have to agree with you there. I think if Australians want to ask people from the UK to come to Australia and give up their life to take up a new one, they should not be advertising for workers abroad when it is near on impossible to get a job

If after moving all the way to Australia you find you cant get a job, the government should immediately step in and assist people that have given up their whole lives to come so the least they can do is offer some sort of protection, but no they simply open the door and tell you to close it on the way out, unless of course you still have some savings left then you can spend it all and then go.

Overall even in good times economically australia was still not very welcoming how can people feel at home when they are not even made welcome. The arrogance is a real sticking point with me and I think it is important to live in a culture of like minded people in that just saying hello to somebody does not have to be a challenge. For some reason some Australians have got some superior I am better than you attitude not even sure where it comes from but it is there.

Good luck to everyone that is going home and tried it and I really hope it all works out for you, I have a funny feeling it will because I am sure most of us will be stronger because of it.

I have to agree with you there. I think if Australians want to ask people from the UK to come to Australia and give up their life to take up a new one, they should not be advertising for workers abroad when it is near on impossible to get a job

If after moving all the way to Australia you find you cant get a job, the government should immediately step in and assist people that have given up their whole lives to come so the least they can do is offer some sort of protection, but no they simply open the door and tell you to close it on the way out, unless of course you still have some savings left then you can spend it all and then go.

Overall even in good times economically australia was still not very welcoming how can people feel at home when they are not even made welcome. The arrogance is a real sticking point with me and I think it is important to live in a culture of like minded people in that just saying hello to somebody does not have to be a challenge. For some reason some Australians have got some superior I am better than you attitude not even sure where it comes from but it is there.

Good luck to everyone that is going home and tried it and I really hope it all works out for you, I have a funny feeling it will because I am sure most of us will be stronger because of it.

Dear London Girl

I am currently living in England..WoW...

I've just got made redundant from British Steel, who, yes thats right this once true brirtish company that this tosspot goverment allowed to be given to foreign investors to pillage and close... I dont see this goverment stopping people entering the UK to take British jobs do you!!....Fact that austrailia is protecting its own peoples jobs is a credit and fact that the USA is increasing import tax to protect its own industry again is a credit, what is UK doing,Nothing but allowing foreign investers to pillage this country until one day Great Britain relies solely on imports..

Im sorry but after being made redundant after paying 20 years into the system only to be told sorry your not entitled to zip but joe bloggs whos just come off a plane from X can have free housing, benefits and hospital treatment.....Can you blame me from wanting to leave this not so great britain!!!!

Guest London Girl
Dear London Girl

I've just got made redundant from British Steel, who, yes thats right this once true brirtish company that this tosspot goverment allowed to be given to foreign investors to pillage and close... I dont see this goverment stopping people entering the UK to take British jobs do you!!....Fact that austrailia is protecting its own peoples jobs is a credit and fact that the USA is increasing import tax to protect its own industry again is a credit, what is UK doing,Nothing but allowing foreign investers to pillage this country until one day Great Britain relies solely on imports..

Im sorry but after being made redundant after paying 20 years into the system only to be told sorry your not entitled to zip but joe bloggs whos just come off a plane from X can have free housing, benefits and hospital treatment.....Can you blame me from wanting to leave this not so great britain!!!!

Hi,

Firstly am sorry to hear that you have been made redundant and after such a long time it must be really horrible and I fully appreciate how upset you are. If they have told you that you are not entitled to anything and you are in hardship that is disgusting and I fully understand why you would be angry.

I have never agreed to England allowing people to just arrive and get all the benefits you mention above and totally support your view.

My point really relates to people such as us that have gone to Australia, paid their tax, invested in the economy, paid for all the required documentation, certificates and through no fault of our own unable to secure more employment after the economy dropped and no assistance is offered. It is a different scenario than just arriving and asking for help and not contributing anything in the first place. We are heading home for more reasons than the economy situation but I do think it is pretty poor that people that give up their lives to do the right thing in Australia are not backed when the xxxx hits the fan, so in effect people that arrive to live and pay taxes and are not within a certain timelimit are considered people with no rights unless they have money to contribute.

Again, I am really sorry to hear what has happened to you and really hope that you can sort something out soon.

Hi,

Firstly am sorry to hear that you have been made redundant and after such a long time it must be really horrible and I fully appreciate how upset you are. If they have told you that you are not entitled to anything and you are in hardship that is disgusting and I fully understand why you would be angry.

I have never agreed to England allowing people to just arrive and get all the benefits you mention above and totally support your view.

My point really relates to people such as us that have gone to Australia, paid their tax, invested in the economy, paid for all the required documentation, certificates and through no fault of our own unable to secure more employment after the economy dropped and no assistance is offered. It is a different scenario than just arriving and asking for help and not contributing anything in the first place. We are heading home for more reasons than the economy situation but I do think it is pretty poor that people that give up their lives to do the right thing in Australia are not backed when the xxxx hits the fan, so in effect people that arrive to live and pay taxes and are not within a certain timelimit are considered people with no rights unless they have money to contribute.

Again, I am really sorry to hear what has happened to you and really hope that you can sort something out soon.

Hi london girl

I aint blaming you or having a go at you, just saying great britain is no longer great and the spinless goverment who dare not protect this country from basically being overrun better learn something from our Austrailian friends!!

I mean who in their right mind gives a hoot about weather a convicted murderer has a fluffy enough pillow in prison?? and the fact you cant say jack**** or even fly your own national flag without the council turning up incase you offend some guy that got off a plane yesterday and gets everything for free beats me!!

Guest London Girl
Hi london girl

I aint blaming you or having a go at you, just saying great britain is no longer great and the spinless goverment who dare not protect this country from basically being overrun beter learn something from our Ausrailian friends!!

I mean who in their right mind gives a hoot about weather a convicted murderer has a fluffy enough pillow in prison?? and the fact you cant say jack**** or even fly your own national flag without the council turning up incase you offend some guy that got off a plane yesterday and gets everything for free beats me!!

Hi,

I know your not having a go.

England had these issues before we left and I expect it would be the same now and I can understand your resentment much the same as the Australians have resentment towards English and other cultures here, I resent not being treated as an Australian equally and the comments given out even in jest such as pommie this and that. It is not much different in Australia than it is in England really. I personally have never had a real issue with other cultures or people arriving in England as long as they contribute to the economy and pay taxes like everyone else. People that arrive in a country and just want hand outs are taking an opportunity in life and I can understand why people do it and also why people resent it.

More recently Australia has had some campaigns about buy australian, employ australian throughout TV news channels and advertising. I find this quite offensive when decent hard working people from countries such as the UK are not getting a fair go, as they say in Australia and the media just advertise it more to make people not want to employ us. Double standards really.

What would your opinion be if these people that arrived worked hard, contributed to the economy, had to pay to get there no hand outs and only wanted to make a new life and when things go wrong, the government says sorry your times up mate ? Would it be different then ?

Hi,

I know your not having a go.

England had these issues before we left and I expect it would be the same now and I can understand your resentment much the same as the Australians have resentment towards English and other cultures here, I resent not being treated as an Australian equally and the comments given out even in jest such as pommie this and that. It is not much different in Australia than it is in England really. I personally have never had a real issue with other cultures or people arriving in England as long as they contribute to the economy and pay taxes like everyone else. People that arrive in a country and just want hand outs are taking an opportunity in life and I can understand why people do it and also why people resent it.

More recently Australia has had some campaigns about buy australian, employ australian throughout TV news channels and advertising. I find this quite offensive when decent hard working people from countries such as the UK are not getting a fair go, as they say in Australia and the media just advertise it more to make people not want to employ us. Double standards really.

What would your opinion be if these people that arrived worked hard, contributed to the economy, had to pay to get there no hand outs and only wanted to make a new life and when things go wrong, the government says sorry your times up mate ? Would it be different then ?

Hey im all up for skilled people coming here if there going to contribute, but that aint the case 95% of the time.. I'm just saying the UK does nothing to protect its own people and what it once was, it spends far too many hours trying to be a court of the globe and a safe haven for anybody that whats to come....

It takes sides with the losers, criminals and wrong doers and seems to concentrate on the normal general public, why?? Because it knows it can hit these where it hurts!! The pocket!!

Anyhow dont get me going on about politics please, this is a migrating and living in Oz forum and thats the way it should stay..

Guest London Girl
Hey im all up for skilled people coming here if there going to contribute, but that aint the case 95% of the time.. I'm just saying the UK does nothing to protect its own people and what it once was, it spends far too many hours trying to be a court of the globe and a safe haven for anybody that whats to come....

It takes sides with the losers, criminals and wrong doers and seems to concentrate on the normal general public, why?? Because it knows it can hit these where it hurts!! The pocket!!

Anyhow dont get me going on about politics please, this is a migrating and living in Oz forum and thats the way it should stay..

I dont think I started getting you going on the politics at all, never brought the subject of immigrants in England.

This thread was about going home to the UK which is what I contributed to.

Guest John Locke

I agree with some of yorkshireclan`s comments about U.K`s politics, although I don`t think anyone is deemed entitled to anything with a big fat cheque in the post, lol...knew a guy in U.K who transfered his pay out into a relatives account and then told the 'system' it was all gone on debts, worked for him...!

Also, in response to a comment by London Girl...some of those ads really irk me...Built by Australians for Australians...come into Hyungry Jacks, a great deal for all Australians...gets under your skin when you`re feeling pretty low and alienated as it is, and happen to not be Australian!

Guest funkymonkey

But it says on your details you have a big fat cheque..so surely that means you did get a good redundancy payment? That must affect government payments/support? Is exactly the same in Australia and lots of people being made redundant here too!

Guest Gunner

I have been in NZ and Australia for a total of 17 years. I have had some proffessional success in both countries but have also had to face some hardships. When I first went to NZ my girlfriend now wife supported me while I studied for 3 years because I wanted a new career as well as new country. We were very lucky that some good people (kiwis) befriended us and helped us when we were down or finding it tough. My girlfriend became my wife and we both prospered professionally bought a house made some money and rose through the ranks in our careers. But I can say with my hand on my heart we probaly wouldnt have made it and returned to the UK if (Mike and Michelle) the kiwi friends hadn't been so kind or we had never met them. These people put us up in there home when we were living in a hostel and running out of money. When making a new life in a new country I think you need a lucky break, a chance encounter with a person, an unexpected job offer or similar because you took a right turn instead of a left one. Without this break things can get tough very quickly and it demonstrates the resolve of peoples spirit when despite not finding work or making friends easily they continue on waiting for their chance break to come to fruition.

Secondly I am lucky to be in a good position in Aussie with a nice home, 2 kids and touch wood good health however I still think about going home to London. It never really goes away the pull of your mates down the pub, family, standing on the terraces at Arsenal although I realise now you need to be a Hedge Fund Manager to afford a season ticket.

If you decide to go home then so be it, if you want to stay then good luck, neither is right or wrong, neither is paradise its just whats right for you and your family.

Guest Mark and Sharon

Hello Gunner,good post and its nice to know i`m not the only gooner here lol,had season ticket for 18 years gave it up this season wish i hadn`t looks like we could be back for the start of next season lol.

Guest nikkichap
I should have realised what I was in for when I first got here in 1997 or was it 1998 can't remember now so long ago.... when at checkout in supermarket and check out chick asked to see the contents of my handbag - I lost it and tipped whole contents all over the counter and asked her if she was happy that I hadn't hidden an unpaid for tin of baked beans in amongst my cosmetics - I am now used to this practice and always offer to show contents of any bag I have with me to the check out assistant when I leave - I'll have to get out of the habit before I get home !!! And I have been so tempted when asked the "how are you?" by a complete stranger to say - "well actually I've just been diagnosed with an incurable disease and only have 6 week's to live"...... of course realise they are only doing their job - think it may be an American thing this "sincere concern" for a complete strangers wellbeing??!!! Must be in the customer care training manual.

I can't understand why they check your bags when leaving shops but when I've done my food shopping and the alarms have gone off while I am walking out the shop assistnats just wave me through!! It makes me feel uncomfortable. It drives me insane. I just don't get it. I'm just not used to it. I don't want to get used to it. I'm off! :arghh:

Guest nikkichap
Hello Gunner,good post and its nice to know i`m not the only gooner here lol,had season ticket for 18 years gave it up this season wish i hadn`t looks like we could be back for the start of next season lol.

I'm also an Arsenal supporter. I love my football and yes "I'm a girl"! I am missing the football so much. I stay up as much as I can to watch as many of the football games as possible. I got up at 4.45am the other morning to watch the C.L. game to find it was the Man U game being played. I was gutted (not gutted about the score). Really miss MOTD although glad Alan Shearer won't be on it anymore! I'm going home in May just in time for the end of the season and hopefully to go down the pub and watch the C.L final (I'm not a geezer bird) just love football.

Hubby supports Liverpool so he is not a happy chappy this morning! :biglaugh:

once someone asked to see inside a bag that was on my back securely zipped up - I said "I would have to be some kind of contortionist to get something in there unnoticed" - assistant gave me a blank look - don't think she understood - so I struggled to free myself of the bag, unzipped it and shoved it in her face....... god I'm such a cow - was only saying to partner the other day that I have become a 'grumpy old woman' and I'm not even that old!!!

Dear London Girl

I was surprised to hear that Thames Water is owned by Macquarie Infrastructure - part of Macquarie Bank - Australian!!

Guest dazla
Me and my family have been thinking of upping sticks and following in the "Australian dream"....I decided to get onto a forum to see what comments are being said....I am so glad I have, it had really changed my mind about going. Is there ANYTHING good about going, and no I don't mean the coming home bit!!!!! Any advice or guidance greatly received :)

I don't want to put anyone off from coming to Australia but you need to be aware that it isn't a paradise where you leave work early and spend hours down the beach . Also it won't solve your marital or family problems. The same problems will exist over here, only the sun will shine more. I have seen people on this forum who say they are coming to Australia for a better family life. I my opinion this won't happen.

Regards

Darrell

Guest nikkichap
I don't want to put anyone off from coming to Australia but you need to be aware that it isn't a paradise where you leave work early and spend hours down the beach . Also it won't solve your marital or family problems. The same problems will exist over here, only the sun will shine more. I have seen people on this forum who say they are coming to Australia for a better family life. I my opinion this won't happen.

Regards

Darrell

Quite agree. Not only will it not solve any marital problems but it can turn a happy marriage into a very unhappy marriage. There seems to be alot of people where one partner is happy and the other who is not and wants to go home. It can put such a strain on a relationship and this can not be good for the kids. There are lots of people who enjoy their life in Australia but in my opinion there is more to life than sitting in an air-conditioned house or going to the beach every weekend. :arghh:

Regards

Darrell

You can if you want. you make it what you want it to be, entirely up to you.

Guest London Girl

I am confused about Australia and who Australia really is and what are Australian values and what they stand for, my reasoning for saying this is that I often only hear people talking in their own language, children that are born in Australia only talking in their own language, the core values are what exactly, can someone please tell me as I cant seem to put my finger on it. I mean in the UK there are tons of different cultures but forgive me if I am wrong that it is rare and never happened to me in the UK that you go to a school and pick up the kids to find that half of the kids only speak one language, or maybe I have missed something in the UK and was not listening.

On the news today there is a story about a cross being taken down in a chapel because it may offend other religions.

I may be way off the mark but what is all that about anyway, what is the big rush to get to Australia and have this new aussie life, do people really know the truth of what Australia is like and what is aussie life, is it beer and beaches what else??

I dont have a problem with different people from different countries but maybe speaking English in a country you migrated to that is English speaking would be a minimum requirement surely on an every day basis.

I also understand RIO Tinto is on the cards to being sold off to China it is all very strange to me and I wonder what the future really holds for Australia in the long run.

Right regarding our wonderful benefits system...

There are 2 types of Allowance:

• The first is called 'Contribution-based Allowance'. You may get Contribution-based Allowance if you have paid or been credited with class 1 National Insurance (NI) contributions in the relevant tax years. Self employed contributions will not generally qualify you for Contribution-based Allowance.
  • The other is based on your income and savings. This is called 'Income-based Allowance'.

As it states it dont matter i have a big fat cheque in the bank, i've paid my NI stamp for the last 20 years....Still got Zip...The fact i've still had to pay tax on part of my redundancy is bad enough...

I just wanted to clear that up as this thread is called good old england and im just saying whats so good??

Guest TheArmChairDetective
I am confused about Australia and who Australia really is and what are Australian values and what they stand for, my reasoning for saying this is that I often only hear people talking in their own language, children that are born in Australia only talking in their own language, the core values are what exactly, can someone please tell me as I cant seem to put my finger on it. I mean in the UK there are tons of different cultures but forgive me if I am wrong that it is rare and never happened to me in the UK that you go to a school and pick up the kids to find that half of the kids only speak one language, or maybe I have missed something in the UK and was not listening.

On the news today there is a story about a cross being taken down in a chapel because it may offend other religions.

I may be way off the mark but what is all that about anyway, what is the big rush to get to Australia and have this new aussie life, do people really know the truth of what Australia is like and what is aussie life, is it beer and beaches what else??

I dont have a problem with different people from different countries but maybe speaking English in a country you migrated to that is English speaking would be a minimum requirement surely on an every day basis.

I also understand RIO Tinto is on the cards to being sold off to China it is all very strange to me and I wonder what the future really holds for Australia in the long run.

They have schools here in the UK where English is the second language, where Christian holidays are not celebrated as they might offend. Hey they even re word children's nursery rhymes these days. Ring - a - ring -a - roses is about the dark ages plague but it's been banned apparently.

As for asking what the big rush to get to Australia is, as you are there what made you go?

Archived