good old england

chippy2

Guest snow white
Iv'e just pm'd him for recipe.

lol ive asked if he fancies making another for tomorrow it was very good though!!

lesley x

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gary12

A lot of the previous posters, when talking about reasons for returning, are using the phrase 'Australia this' and 'Australia that'.

Australia is a big place and the experience in one part of the country does not necessarliy apply to all of Australia.

Clearly Brisbane / SE QLD is not the place to go now because of the job situation for tradeys, and for me the main pull of this area is the weather and the beaches and so there is no point in complaining that the weather and beaches are not for you after 6 months.

Melbourne is a different experience, with (generally) cooler evenings and more going on. Work here is the same as UK, there are backstabbers, jokers, morons and lazy arses but for me all have been very welcoming. I always played football in the UK and now I play it here - there are loads of clubs here with usually a fair dose of poms playing.

A previous post was a good one about treating the move as an adventure and enjoying the experience.

Gary

Guest London Girl
A lot of the previous posters, when talking about reasons for returning, are using the phrase 'Australia this' and 'Australia that'.

Australia is a big place and the experience in one part of the country does not necessarliy apply to all of Australia.

Clearly Brisbane / SE QLD is not the place to go now because of the job situation for tradeys, and for me the main pull of this area is the weather and the beaches and so there is no point in complaining that the weather and beaches are not for you after 6 months.

Melbourne is a different experience, with (generally) cooler evenings and more going on. Work here is the same as UK, there are backstabbers, jokers, morons and lazy arses but for me all have been very welcoming. I always played football in the UK and now I play it here - there are loads of clubs here with usually a fair dose of poms playing.

A previous post was a good one about treating the move as an adventure and enjoying the experience.

Gary

I think you raise a good point.

I also think it depends on your attitude towards australia. If you embrace it and love it then it would work for you but if you just cant get used to the change of culture then it wont.

We came with an attitude of we love it here we are going to stay but in time it wore thin and to be honest was a struggle to keep that feeling up. For some the whole australia experience can be absolutely fantastic and I say good on them but if you are like us and really do not want to be there, it really will never work and it is nothing to be ashamed of. The biggest thing no matter where you are is having the right people around you, I personally do not think beautiful beaches and scenery are enough if you cannot relate to the humans living around you. Happiness I believe is where you feel you belong no matter whether it is in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a city. People and having good personal relationships with people matter and that is what can make or break a big move like moving to Australia.

Guest snow white

everyone has diffferent ideas on what to expect when moving to australia for some the expectations out weigh the reality, we have been here 19 months and cant even count how many times my oh wanted to go back to what he was used to his biggest problem the work and licenses situation i believe if australian govenment did something so when we move here the nvq's and certs and licenses we all worked so hard to achieve meant the equivalent here you would find a lot more would settle and stay , we have made loadds of friends so thank god dont feel isolated although i guess with 6 kids i would find it hard to feel anything but busy anyway lol

lesley x

I expected "Australia needs your skilles" is true if needs so why do we need to have australian licenses only?

I am also trapped like you Snow White, what a crap!!! this is really a nightmare if you have licensed occupation

Guest Chrissy

I agree with you arg.......they seem to make it as difficult as possible, i thought UK had red tape!................theres no skill shortage here............what a load of cobblers!!!!!!

Guest London Girl

And also agree with the points re skills shortage, it does not matter whether you think you could live in Australia and make it work, if you are under the impression that moving to Australia will open new opportunities and especially on the basis of a skills shortage it is likely to leave people bitter with australia and not wanting to stay anyway.

If you cant make money to live there is no point in being in a country anyway nobody can live off nothing.

I know a lot of people that have returned due to the work situation and may well have stayed. Without the basic things people want in life like security and structure there is no way people can get to settle down in a country unless you are rich enough to live on one big holiday and then why would you go to Australia when you can go and live somewhere like the Bahamas or something. No I think people have really been misled with the work situation. I feel really sorry for the ones that are coming out soon or recently arrived that are in construction they are really going to be in for a shock.

Guest treesea
Happiness I believe is where you feel you belong no matter whether it is in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a city.

Well said.

Guest Chrissy

I think its good here, but, its not good enough to give up all our family and friends for. the work situation is not helping tho, as we didnt travel to the other side of the world giving up a lot to be scratching for work.......my view anyway.

Guest Mark and Sharon

The trouble now is that because i can`t find work i`m starting to look at all the negative things about Australia and there probably the same negative things that i thought about England.Iknow Australia has a great deal to offer but it`s getting harder to appreciate it because of the sutuation we`re in.

The trouble now is that because i can`t find work i`m starting to look at all the negative things about Australia and there probably the same negative things that i thought about England.Iknow Australia has a great deal to offer but it`s getting harder to appreciate it because of the sutuation we`re in.

You have my sincere sympahty - buy a lotto ticket - long shot but why not and then you can live a gorgeous area and say after od'ing on seafood what you really think - I'm not being rude - I truly wish you and all the others who have arrived being met with red tape - I wish I could wave a magic wand - where I live there's all these people from Fiji, Bangladesh etc etc arriving here and buying all the houses in my street _ if I could wave a magic wand - IF ONLY GOVERNMENT COULD THINK - WHO SET UP ALL THE SYSTEMS HERE!!

Guest treesea
I think its good here, but, its not good enough to give up all our family and friends for. the work situation is not helping tho, as we didnt travel to the other side of the world giving up a lot to be scratching for work.......my view anyway.

I think if you really wanted to be somewhere, this probably wouldn't matter too much. I left a lot of my family behind and my friends when we moved back to the UK. But I would rather live here than in Australia or New Zealand. Sure it means maintaining the friendships and family ties in cyberspace for the most part - it's now years since I have seen some of them - but I feel happier here, in spite of not having them all around for christmas, birthdays and the like.

Guest London Girl

Ok heres my pinch of salt take it whatever way you wish.

You come here with dreams and expactations and you work really hard to make it work but then you find out that in fact you cannot get work, you even apply for a waitress job and get told that there are people locally more experienced, (I am a Business Analyst) so you think, OK no problem I will keep trying there must be something that I can do.......... but then you realise that you dont want to do anything else, I love my work, why should I work as a waitress anyway when I want to do what I do. So you start sending your CV to just about anyone to only get email replies such as you are too over qualified, sorry there are more qualified applicants. Now this has never happened before, whole new world, REJECTION, so you think why me what have I done. Then you get it, you are not Australian and in the current state of affairs worldwide you have very little chance. The realisation hits you like a ton of bricks and you think what the xxxx. Days go by and you finally come out of your depression to realise that in the end no matter what happens if I was in England I would not be judged by my accent or birth place even if I applied for a waitress job.

So take it as you will but the fact is we are not particuarly welcome here right now and although it is horrible to know it is the way it is and if you think about it understandably so, I mean everyone is suffering but not all of us moved to the other side of the world to do so.

You come here with dreams and expactations and you work really hard to make it work but then you find out that in fact you cannot get work, you even apply for a waitress job and get told that there are people locally more experienced, (I am a Business Analyst) so you think, OK no problem I will keep trying there must be something that I can do.......... but then you realise that you dont want to do anything else, I love my work, why should I work as a waitress anyway when I want to do what I do. So you start sending your CV to just about anyone to only get email replies such as you are too over qualified, sorry there are more qualified applicants. Now this has never happened before, whole new world, REJECTION, so you think why me what have I done. Then you get it, you are not Australian and in the current state of affairs worldwide you have very little chance. The realisation hits you like a ton of bricks and you think what the xxxx. Days go by and you finally come out of your depression to realise that in the end no matter what happens if I was in England I would not be judged by my accent or birth place even if I applied for a waitress job.

So take it as you will but the fact is we are not particuarly welcome here right now and although it is horrible to know it is the way it is and if you think about it understandably so, I mean everyone is suffering but not all of us moved to the other side of the world to do so.

i would find it very hard to believe that employers would discriminate against the english cos there are a lot more lucky ones than unlucky

on the other hand though the government are giving priority to non english speaking countries for immigration - muslims and all

now that you have got to admit is very twisted and ****ed up, ANY aussie would prefer a flood of poms to a flood of lebs

Guest Perth Princess

A CV doesn't seem to count for as much here as it does in the UK. It seems to be a get your foot in the door type of place and if your face fits you will do well. This can be frustrating in the early stages but on the other hand I think in it's attempts to ward out discrimination the British sytem has gone too far in that if you look good on paper and interview well you will go far. In Australia they seem to check that you are good at the job before backing you fully which sort of makes sense. I've had to drop down the ladder a bit here to get work but I think its a sacrifice worth making.

Sorry Treesea, I must disagree with several of the points you raise. On a personal level, my pay is 20% better in Australia. I find all of the items you mention- I can get in Australia for a similarly low price. Including cars, we bought an excellent condition 13 yr old mitsubishi for $1300.

At least in Australia they bother to ask 'how are you'...most shop assistants in UK can't be arsed to look up from this weeks Heat magazine as they serve you..much less acknowledge you with a cheery greeting. Hollow or not..it certainly brightens my day and countless others.

i have noticed the pay here is actually better for lower paid work by miles, and about even for average jobs but lower for high paid work, but consideringtit's cheaper here it's easier financially

as for the "how r you", (followed by a hollow response), do you really prefer that to a shop assistant who doesn't say it but responds in a switched on mode when u attempt a bit of small talk?

come on your not serious r ya?

warehouse work in oz - $18+ per hour

in uk - 5 quid + ($12)

shop assistant in oz - $15+

uk - (as above)

but it is much easier to get a warehouse job in the UK than in Oz, also a shop assistant, in Oz you would need a certificate in retails operations, lot of references, referees experience and God knows what, in the Uk nobody asks about it, and cost of living in the Uk is much cheaper than in Oz, so I prefer to earn 12 pounds in the UK than equivalent 26 $ in Oz, food, clothes, shoes, air tickets, cars are cheaper. Someone wrote he had bought 13 years old excellent mitsubishi for 1300$, well, in Japan cars older than 5 years are not allowed to run due to pollution and are sent anywhere outside Japan, in Europe 10 years old cars usually you can find visiting scrap yard, but in Oz this is called excellent condition car, 15-20 years old cars for 3000$.

I worked as a warehouse labourer for a while in Oz, and was paid 17$ as casual (agency) worker with permanent offer for 15$ but was so crap job i didn't want, and in Oz I had to send cv to many agencies to get this crap job, in the UK I would find a warehouse job within 1-2 days without any references, papers, etc.

Australia spends lot of money to produce advertisements "come and live in Oz" occupations in high demand, etc. and what migrants find after arrival? their qualifications are not recognised, can't find any job, if are not overqualified then don't meet requirements...

I found this country is overpriced, overrated, full of brainwashed people trying to convince me they live in paradise.

Guest culnbally
Going back to the subject of kebabs. I have to say that kababs on the GC are far better than the English ones. Shame about the curries.

not to be worrying mr brooksey, we soon be moving to the brisbane and looking to be opening the indian restaurant, i cook the best curries in all of australia, but can not be sharing the recipes.:biggrin:

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Culnbally,

Which hospital is your wife going to be working at in Brisbane,have you had sponsorship long?

I bet you're excited about coming to Australia,it's a great place,unfortunately with the recession at the moment a lot of tradespeople can't get jobs and are coming here only to find there is no work so go back to England pretty quickly,but if you can cook and your wife is a nurse like you said last week then things should be ok for you.

Cheers

Archived