good old england

chippy2

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Is Venison Dear?
yes i miss the pub get together and meeting up with mates anytime not the same here

lesley x

They have no idea how to do 'pubs' and at $10 a pint, they aren't very affordable anyway. And the Pom pubs are full of trouble (Old Bailey for example). :arghh:

Guest Dee007
$1600.00 is about average for OW flights from Australia to the UK at the moment although there are some cheaper deals available with Etihad and Singapore Airlines,unfortunately it's always going to be more expensive flying East to West as it uses more fuel and airlines have higher costs which they include in higher fares,but there is a new Qantas sale starting next week which I will have details of tomorrow.

Hi. We are looking to book flights to London for Christmas and Qantas have quite good prices at the mo. Can you let me know what their new sale offers are going to be? Thanks. Dee

Guest snow white

your alright brooksey, you can come round to our baranytime and its not $10 a pint neither lol

lesley x

hello kirsty and alan,as me you saw oz as a better lifestyle,but to be honest you cant beat the uk.i found out there was no continuity and lower wages,after spending 7 months in oz with no work came home and started after 3 days.y:yes:

Hi chippy2

Can u tel me what is your occupation?

u needed licenses in Oz and in the UK you don't need or your qualifications couldn't be recognised in Oz? sounds lovely to find a job 3 days after arrival, but this is UK not Oz

I am trapped in bloody license nightmare, i thought we had red tape in the UK...Oz is much worse

Hi chippy2

Can u tel me what is your occupation?

u needed licenses in Oz and in the UK you don't need or your qualifications couldn't be recognised in Oz? sounds lovely to find a job 3 days after arrival, but this is UK not Oz

I am trapped in bloody license nightmare, i thought we had red tape in the UK...Oz is much worse

hia arg,iam a chippy heance the name.could not find work at all in oz,only worked as a painter and then got ripped off,got work back in the uk and no way will we ever return to oz either to live or holiday as were very dissapointed with lots of things.if you need clarifications on any point please pm me as cant post on thread,regards paul:wink:

Guest anson aussies
well after spending 7 months in oz,its great to be back home.well weather colder so the beer and a lot nicer than that stuff they call beer in brisbane.come back at a great time good exchange rates,cheaper houses and better built ones migth i add.foods great cant tell you how much ive missed good english cooking and variety in supermarkets haha.people are friendlier too and talk to you if they want to,no more of that hi how r you bollocks said under a false pretense.works great good money and no licences crap,as the old saying goes the grass isnt always greener and its true,i appreciate england alot more now and with so much choice within a 4 hour flight know i will never go back.like to say good luck to friends still out there hope you enjoy your time,oz is not for me as never felt like home and therefore would never be home,too many arrogant hillbilly idiots,especially expats who have been there some time,you know who i mean :tongue:

Quality m8,

Ill drink to all the above, but not tooheys or fosters(carlton)

Guest brooksey
your alright brooksey, you can come round to our baranytime and its not $10 a pint neither lol

lesley x

Yours is by far the best bar here.:goofy:

Guest tlander56
All the best back in good old England.

We only stayed a month in Oz but agree with everything you say.

Jill

xxx

me too....really looking forward to getting home :biggrin:

Guest tlander56

Cant do the Coles/Woolies run anymore, or the dull views of the Bruce, not to mention Acca bloodyy Dacca on the radio every 5 minutes.

Hahahahaa! I love this! I know EXACTLY what you mean.....:biglaugh:

just quickly flicked through the posts, i agree with it all. we have been here 2 years and we have had enough. get me out of here!!!!. we planned it all researched etc, i had even lived here before. we live in a much better house than we could of in uk....but...but....it just isnt home.

i am currently under the process of losing my job, ( god just get on with it!! ), and we have booked to go back on holiday this year, but we might try and sell up before hand. logistically i am dreading this as we have two cats and i dont know if we shold take them back with us, ( is it fair to them?, or should we just give them to someone?, heartbreaking!).

anyway the die is cast and honestly if someone bought our house today and we packed all our stuff up..i would fly now!. when you feel like that you know where you should be. thats all for now.

Guest John Locke

You can`t leave them here in Australia, that would just be too cruel, lol:wink:

Seriously though, no need for heartbreak, if they are part of the family take them back. I wouldn`t go anywhere without my dogs.

Good luck!

Guest snow white

hows life other side of the world going then chippy2???

im sure your going to tell me your having a great time, hope all is well

lesley x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theundecided
well after spending 7 months in oz,its great to be back home.well weather colder so the beer and a lot nicer than that stuff they call beer in brisbane.come back at a great time good exchange rates,cheaper houses and better built ones migth i add.foods great cant tell you how much ive missed good english cooking and variety in supermarkets haha.people are friendlier too and talk to you if they want to,no more of that hi how r you bollocks said under a false pretense.works great good money and no licences crap,as the old saying goes the grass isnt always greener and its true,i appreciate england alot more now and with so much choice within a 4 hour flight know i will never go back.like to say good luck to friends still out there hope you enjoy your time,oz is not for me as never felt like home and therefore would never be home,too many arrogant hillbilly idiots,especially expats who have been there some time,you know who i mean :tongue:

Wow! what a thread you started. it' s taken me ages to read through all the posts and with the experiences we have encountered, i have to say I also agree with alot of things that have been said. strange thing is my husband and i felt like chippy 2 did on our return to the uk after only 2 months in qld. i had spent a year out there a few years before but with the family with us back in 2005, we found it tough. infact, had we stayed for much longer our money wouold have disappeared and that was with my husband working full time. there were so many positives to bring us back to the uk and for a long time after we felt we had made the right decision and when i red posts such as chippy 2's i know our gut instinct to return was the right one. however - what i'm puzzled about is..... four years on and still in the uk, we find ourselves forgetting how we felt and dreaming of the oz lifestyle again. are we mad?? not sure if it's because our visas run out next july but we are hankering for oz and saying ' what if we'd given it longer.....' we're so confused gain, eventhough our minds say it's probably best to stay put in the uk???? help!!!! wishing all returners and those going the best of luck

Wow! what a thread you started. it' s taken me ages to read through all the posts and with the experiences we have encountered, i have to say I also agree with alot of things that have been said. strange thing is my husband and i felt like chippy 2 did on our return to the uk after only 2 months in qld. i had spent a year out there a few years before but with the family with us back in 2005, we found it tough. infact, had we stayed for much longer our money wouold have disappeared and that was with my husband working full time. there were so many positives to bring us back to the uk and for a long time after we felt we had made the right decision and when i red posts such as chippy 2's i know our gut instinct to return was the right one. however - what i'm puzzled about is..... four years on and still in the uk, we find ourselves forgetting how we felt and dreaming of the oz lifestyle again. are we mad?? not sure if it's because our visas run out next july but we are hankering for oz and saying ' what if we'd given it longer.....' we're so confused gain, eventhough our minds say it's probably best to stay put in the uk???? help!!!! wishing all returners and those going the best of luck

i'd say it means that you most likely like both countries

things are not always black and white and if you won the lottery you would probably spend half the year in both places?

it's a tricky situation

Guest proud2beaussie

Back in the 70's Albert Hammond wrote a great song about moving overseas to seek a new life and finding it's sometimes not all it's cracked up to be.

albert hammond - Google Video#

It Never Rains In Southern California lyrics

Got on a board a west bound seven forty seven

Didn't think before deciding what to do

All that talk of opportunities, TV breaks and movies

Rang true, sure rang true.

Seems it never rain in Southern California

Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before

It never rains in California

But girl, don't they warn ya

It pours man it pours.

Out of work, I'm out of my head

Out of self respect I'm out of bread

I'm under loved I'm under fed

I wanna go home

But girl don't they warn ya, it pours, man it pours.

Will you tell the folks back home I nearly made it

Had offers but don't know which one to take

Please don't tell them how you found me

Don't tell them how you found me give me a break

Give me a break

Seems it never rains in Southern California

Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before

But girl, don't they warn ya

It pours man it pours

Guest theundecided
i'd say it means that you most likely like both countries

things are not always black and white and if you won the lottery you would probably spend half the year in both places?

it's a tricky situation

you're probably right but as always, money is the issue. sometimes wish i was one of those people who is just content with what they have and have never had the feeling or need to travel/experience life overseas.

we still find ourselves loving the oz dream and yet we think that maybe that dream is not reality in any shape or form. maybe for those who went to oz many many years ago have settled well because life was different before . opportunities in many countries seemed easier then and probably oz more so?? maybe those who settle well now have lots of money and, therefore, they can afford the nice house and lifestyle that goes with it??

when we arrived in oz in 2005 we had soooooo much energy and aspirations of what our new life was going to be like, then we found.........

1. going for rental properties was like a cut throat marathon. no sooner had we viewed a property (with at least 5 other couples at the same time) if we liked it, we'd have to rush down to the office before anyone else got there to secure it.

2. rentals were alot higher than we thought, and we found many many properties to be very dated and yet, asking a high rental fee.

3. the famous licence situation was also causing distress, with my oh being a plumber. he did find work but there cetainly wasn't lots about and his wafge was so low that even with the equivalent to uk tax credit, we would have been losing money every week for at least a year if not more until he could go self employed.

4. shopping/food was expensive (although i knew that would be so having been there for some time before) even so, food, clothes, electrical goods and getting a vehicle on the road cost a small fortune.

5. state schooling didn't look that great and although private schools are very inexpensive (Qld) compared to the uk, it was yet another cost that we hadn't expected, if we chose that route of education.

all the above points led us to think that we'd never have enough money to visit our loved ones back in the uk. as quite a few members of our family wouldn't be in a situation to come to oz we knew we would have to pop back every few years at the very least.

we encountered 'red neck' folk, some children seemed a little rough???? ( couple of experiences we had) but on the whole we met some fantastic australian people who made us so welcome. the weather was fab and potentially the lifestyle would be great but we had a sinking feeling that we wouldn't achieve that lifestyle due to lack of money. is it fair to say, one could have a great life in oz if they have significant funds in the bank?

ironically, in our 2 months in oz, we didn't feel remotely homesick just completely numb from the realisation that oz wasn;'t the land we thought it was.

when we hear of people returning to uk we feel better in a way because it reconfirms our choice of returning and yet, when we hear of people who have gone out to oz since our return and are loving it we feel sad becasue we think maybe that could be us.??????????????????????? arrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!

soemtimes i wished we'd never gone out there as it just opened a can of worms

Archived