Recognition of 3 year teaching degree

Guest martinibops

Guest martinibops

Has anyone had any luck getting their 3 year teaching degree recognised? I have a BA (Hons) Professional Studies in Primary Education with QTS which is classed as a three year degree although it has the same content as a 4 year degree. The whole degree is in primary education and a requirement of undertaking it was that you already had two years experience of working in a primary school as a TA. Teaching Australia have said if I can prove it has same content they will consider (I'm not sure it will be as easy as this! and this they will still say no) Most universities in the UK now offer this type of degree and it's quite frustrating that although I now work as a qualified teacher in the UK that I will not be able to in Australia. Any help/advice will be appreciated. We cannot get into Australia any other way as my husbands trade (Asphalt Supervisor) is not recognised on trade list, I have an Auntie who would also be willing to sponsor me but if my degree cannot be recognised is that our hopes of emigrating to Australia dashed!:unsure::arghh:

Guest martinibops

My uni are in the process of compiling something for me, I just wondered if anyone has had any luck getting theirs approved. I have only heard of one case so far so I don't hold out much hope!:wacko:

• 1 month later...
Guest christa

I am new to this forum and picked up on this thread.

Like Martinbops I also have a BA (Hons) in Primary Education with QTS which is classed as a three year degree although it has the same content as a 4 year degree. I have 10 years experience in teaching and I am currently a member of the senior management team at my school. I supervise a team of about 30 teachers and staff, and oversee the needs of 296 children. I have passed a Diploma in Welsh Language from the University of Wales and I have also passed a Leadership and Management Course.

Today I have received confirmation from Teaching Australia that my skills have been declined due to my academic qualifications not meeting their criteria.

I am a little puzzled and frustrated that I am deemed not to have the sufficient skills to teach in Australia. The bizarre nature of this predicament means I may be assessing teachers who would be more qualified to pass the skills assesment process than myself. Ten years ago I undertook a specific degree in Primary Education in order to qualify for teaching in the UK. Later, I would find this would leave me academically short when applying to teach abroad. This seems to be a little unfair.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me in how I might go about passing the skills assesment. I dont know what to do now. Enrolling on a NPQH or Masters course may be an option but one I'd prefer to avoid at this present time.

Louise

• 12 years later...

Hi,

Did you manage to have any luck? I’m in exactly the same position. Applied for a skills assessment and it has come back as unsuitable. I’ve got a BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS degree and 9 years teaching experience, but yet it isn’t suitable. I’m desperate to get to Oz and my brother is now a citizen. Is there anything I can do? 

Thanks in advance, 

Rebec xx

1 hour ago, Rebec said:

Hi,

Did you manage to have any luck? I’m in exactly the same position. Applied for a skills assessment and it has come back as unsuitable. I’ve got a BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS degree and 9 years teaching experience, but yet it isn’t suitable. I’m desperate to get to Oz and my brother is now a citizen. Is there anything I can do? 

Thanks in advance, 

Rebec xx

Further study - maybe a masters in special Ed with a practical component. That 4 year thing is immutable. 

I really didn’t want to go down that route as I’ve been teaching so long. I suppose I’d have to if I wanted to get a skills assessment. Either that or go down a different route and get a different job. Thank you! 

4 hours ago, Rebec said:

I really didn’t want to go down that route as I’ve been teaching so long. I suppose I’d have to if I wanted to get a skills assessment. Either that or go down a different route and get a different job. Thank you! 

If you're relying on teaching to get your visa it will be a longer process if you're planning on retaining in another career field. 

2 hours ago, Rebec said:

I suppose so. May just look into a different field. 
Thank you! 

I think maybe you misunderstood Quoll's post.  If you decide to choose a different field, your path to migration will be very much longer than if you stick to teaching.

All occupations need both qualifications AND experience.  Experience gained before the qualification does not count.  So you'd be looking at doing however many years needed for the qualification and then at least a couple of years gaining relevant experience.

22 minutes ago, Rebec said:

Do you know whether mentoring students counts for any credits? 

It doesn't work like that. You will need the actual 4 years. Even if you somehow got into Australia you wouldn't be able to teach here anyway.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Experience gained before the qualification does not count. 

This isn't always the case. I was successful obtaining a skills assessment and visa using experience obtained before the qualification.

Edited by JetBlast