Australian wildlife: what do they teach kids in school?

BuddysMum

I am not freaking out about the wildlife in Australia. I am quite level headed about it.

BUT I am aware that Australians are familiar with their wildlife and I and my family are not.

I have heard that children learn wildlife safety (and I think, something about what to do in emergency) at school. My son is 11 now, will be at least 12 by the time we get over there, so he won't have had that teaching. So I would like to make sure that he knows as much as his peers. For instance I know that here in UK he still quite enjoys catching spiders and bugs.

I guess that most of what they are taught it along the lines of "don't touch" etc, but can you help me with some other specific info please?

Dont think it is "taught" much at all from memory. It's the sort of thing where there may be a unit in about year 5/6 and kids have to do projects. To be quite frank, they are more concerned that kids know not to touch needles in the playground or walk off with strangers and so do more teaching about that (and they are by far the more likely events).

Remember that the vast majority of Australian kids are never going to see a redback or red bellied black because they dont happen so much in urban environments and they would assume that parents would have done the "dont touch" routine well before the kids hit school.

• 1 month later...
Guest brissieboy

HI i think the sensible thing is - dont touch. I live on the suburbs of brisbane backing onto a reserve and with the exception of some small spiders, a toad and some possums it has been quite 'quiet' in my back garden ! I was concerned initially but just be sensible , dont touch anything that moves and if god forbid you every see a snake then walk away. Best not to frighten them but just make them aware.

D

permanent resident for 1 year

In Brisbane for 4 and love it

Guest DadAgain
...the vast majority of Australian kids are never going to see a redback or red bellied black because they dont happen so much in urban environments ....

Rubbish - I'd say *most* Australians are very familiar with redback spiders. Houses without at least some endemic redback populations would be the exception rather than the rule. I'd pretty much guarantee that I could find at least half a dozen redbacks around my house if I could be bothered to go looking for them and I've never worried aboutmy 2yr old or 5yr olds safety in that regard at all.

That said they are absolutley not a problem, they dont move much and are easily avoided - just dont go poking around under the eaves of your house or in any dry tucked away corner without looking. Most kids have got this message welland truly delivered by the age of 5 by teh time they start school.

Later in school they *might* receive a little bit of first aid teaching with regards to snake bites (which are **extremely** rare - you'd be lucky to see a venomous snake once every 15years in a suburban environment, and even then it'll more than likely slither past and disappear before you can grab your camera).

For the record: first aid for snake bites is to call for help, NOT move, bind the limb (its always a limb - either you were trying to pick up a snake and it bit your hand, or you trod on it and it bit your foot - not to cut off blood supply but to prevent lymphatic fluid flowing.... and simply wait for assistance.

My experience is more like DadAgain's. In 20 months here I've only "seen" a redback once or twice but know from the webs I see that they're around. FYI, redback webs are fairly distinctive because of their random, messy nature. Unlike the usual very precise webs most spiders have, these look as though they were done by a spider after a night out with the boys!

It's worth noting that, in an adult, even a redback bite would only cause (treatable) redness, pain and swelling. You have to be more careful with children though.

That said, they're not a problem and one rapidly becomes blase about them. Our four year old has had enough lectures about "don't approach spiders and don't poke into holes and crevices" and has become very good about it--it didn't take long

Guest proud2beaussie

One would hope that what they would be taught is basic common sense.

Don't dig in the garden without gloves,don't leave things like lengths of wood or metal lying around in the back garden,and certainly don't poke around things like that,wear stout shoes and long trousers if walking in long grass,keep your gardens tidy and lawns mowed and if you see a snake leave it alone unless it poses a danger to humans or pets,and if it does call a snake catcher.

All pretty basic commonsense.

Hi,

We have been in Oz since September and would just wanted say that part of the Aussie adventure for me has been learning all about the wildlife here.

I have 2 girls aged 8 and 11 and they were pertrified of everything that moved when we first got here. We are lucky to have lots of wildlife parks on our doorstep and have found that these are an excellent way of finding out about what may be lurking at the botom of the garden, poisonous or not!

We have also bought some simple identification books by Steve Parrish and they like to look up what type of frog, insect or spider it is.

Common sense says not to go poking around too much, don't touch and make sure you don't walk around long grass with your flip-flops/thongs on.

As for the school side of things I think my year 3 child is looking at habitiats later this term but I'm not sure what else they may cover!

Rubbish - I'd say *most* Australians are very familiar with redback spiders. Houses without at least some endemic redback populations would be the exception rather than the rule. I'd pretty much guarantee that I could find at least half a dozen redbacks around my house if I could be bothered to go looking for them and I've never worried aboutmy 2yr old or 5yr olds safety in that regard at all.

That said they are absolutley not a problem, they dont move much and are easily avoided - just dont go poking around under the eaves of your house or in any dry tucked away corner without looking. Most kids have got this message welland truly delivered by the age of 5 by teh time they start school.

I think I was actually agreeing with you - they arent "in your face" in urban environments. Sure you can find redbacks if you go hunting but they arent under every dunny seat and I dont think you can really find red bellied blacks in most urban environments, I have only ever seen them in the bush.

Guest ozboy

Dogs cause more death and injury to children in OZ then snakes or spiders . No one has died from a spider bite in 30 years, almost no one dies form snake bites anymore unless they are somewhere very remote hours from medical attention. Hundreds of kids die from road accidents and drownings every year so they probably teach the dangers from those things much more. When l was in school in OZ they taught stranger danger and water safety nothing about the wildlife l think they leave it up to the parents. Growing up in suburbia parents are worried about kids touching a junkies needle in the park not a snake or spider.

Great posts everyone!

I was concerned too & got a wildlife book out of the library when we arrived. But it backfired a bit. My 10yr old got a bit obsessive & worried he'd get bitten by a redback! However, 9 months on & we are more relaxed - I agree, just be sensible, don't go digging around & DON'T TOUCH!

Thanks for all your replies.

One would hope that what they would be taught is basic common sense.

Don't dig in the garden without gloves,don't leave things like lengths of wood or metal lying around in the back garden,and certainly don't poke around things like that,wear stout shoes and long trousers if walking in long grass,keep your gardens tidy and lawns mowed and if you see a snake leave it alone unless it poses a danger to humans or pets,and if it does call a snake catcher.

All pretty basic commonsense.

This was the point of my question really.

Here in the UK "common sense" doesn't include taking these sorts of precautions. We are able to do all of those things without a second thought, and as a result I believe that we will have to be very much more conscious about these things until it does become second nature.

And while I agree with you about the greater danger of strangers, traffic and discarded needles, these are all things our children are taught about over here. It is in the areas where there are differences that the increased dangers lie for immigrant families. At least for a while.

Hope that makes sense! I really am not stressing out, I just want to make sure that my son who is used to being able to scoop up bugs for examination and wander around the garden rummaging under wood piles (which we will have to learn not to leave there!), is going to be informed enough to be sensible!

Guest ozboy

l don't think they teach it in school because its not seen a serious enough danger living in suburbia. As a child in OZ l went digging in the garden all the time l picked up every creature l could find, collected spiders in jars, picked up lizards and never got bitten by anything excpet a bee. Dogs are a far greater danger to kids.

Hi Buddy's Mum!

I totally get your concern but I think once you get here you will understand why no one seems particularly worried!

Like Nigeletc says, it is always basic common sense where ever you are that (for example) you don't prod a snake...whether it's an inoffensive grass snake in the wilds of the UK, or a venomous brown snake here! Spiders kinda do their own thing...redbacks are usually hidden whether under the seat of a bike or under garden furniture. They are very beautiful and don't really want anything to do with us, although they might bight if you put your fingers on them... but then our fingers don't normally prod round those places do they?

I think the kids should be encouraged to look, not touch if they are unsure, stay away from anything that slithers and relax. Most people where we are* can tell you a story of a locally attempted child abduction, not many tell of a snake bite although many people have seen a snake.

One of the best pieces of advice I heard for the real littlies is that when their parent (and I guess anyone else) says "Stop!" the child does just that! No questions or delay, just trained, immediate, compliance. A friend has a larger lot and when his kids were small, they were taught that, and it proved invaluable when a snake slithered across the sand box where they were playing. No drama.

I think you'll find your kids will adapt easily, and after a few days perhaps checking the bed/behind the bed/under the toilet seat will relax and realise that real life for most people doesn't have to be like that. So please don't worry; I'm sure as it'll be fine!:yes:

:hug:LC

*We are hardly in the wilds of SA!

I think I was actually agreeing with you - they arent "in your face" in urban environments. Sure you can find redbacks if you go hunting but they arent under every dunny seat and I dont think you can really find red bellied blacks in most urban environments, I have only ever seen them in the bush.

No panic, but can't agree with you. In our suburban house we infrequently but regularly have redbacks in the childrens' playroom of all places. They (boys, 4 and 2)are fascinated by them and love to see them, but know not to touch. They are slow moving, easily avoided, and NOT a problem. Just teach the kids. As for snakes - we live near a wildlife park, and there cetainly are snakes there - dugites and tiger, BUT they are hardly ever seen, and as said before - STOP. Move slowly away. No dramas.

Archived