Spiders! Should I be worried?

Hello everyone!!!!!!! My mum lives in Brisbane area and in her attempt to get my little family over she has told me her answer to bugs.... She keeps a geko (dont know if thats spelt right..) a baby lizzard who lives behind her air conditioning unit. This keeps the bugs out and has the house sprayed against spiders. Not sure if this is true but worth a try. Im scared stiff of anything that crawls and OH of snakes so between us it will be up to the kids haha! :eek:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are in the process of moving out to Brisbane, and I have to say that the bugs (and snakes and lizards) are my concern - I too hate wasps with a passion, but apparently they are not as common (they are posh!! Sorry couldn't resist) in Oz. Maybe it was my mate telling me that cause she wanted to get rid of me...It's the spider that are a bit of an issue with me, but another friend who is a geniune Ozzie, said that you should get your house fumagated once a year and that sorts all the problems out - he said it was standard practice.

Guest bowbrummer
We are in the process of moving out to Brisbane, and I have to say that the bugs (and snakes and lizards) are my concern - I too hate wasps with a passion, but apparently they are not as common (they are posh!! Sorry couldn't resist) in Oz. Maybe it was my mate telling me that cause she wanted to get rid of me...It's the spider that are a bit of an issue with me, but another friend who is a geniune Ozzie, said that you should get your house fumagated once a year and that sorts all the problems out - he said it was standard practice.

Personally I would take a Dyson so you can watch them die and some gaffer tape to disable the exits:skeptical:

Alright..............being honest now,i dont worry about spiders etc while im awake,BUT ive gotta be honest...................im thinking of getting one of those mozzie net things for the bed( dressed up as all romantic of course!),wouldnt want a bite on the "arl fellah" from one of those FLESH EATING type white tips tbh,call me a quilt if yer want,but i AM considering it!LMAO:policeman::tongue:

Alright..............being honest now,i dont worry about spiders etc while im awake,BUT ive gotta be honest...................im thinking of getting one of those mozzie net things for the bed( dressed up as all romantic of course!),wouldnt want a bite on the "arl fellah" from one of those FLESH EATING type white tips tbh,call me a quilt if yer want,but i AM considering it!LMAO:policeman::tongue:

I think that the spiders get into nettting as well Pablo, if they want to. It really isn't something to worry about, I tend to keep any eye out for spiders doing my cleaning, so pull the beds out from behind walls, and also curtains are a place they love to hide.

It is manily huntsman and daddy long legs spiders I find in the house, but I don't go nto the garden shed to grab the lawn mower without checking first, as I made the mistake of walking into one of the redback webs and had to disintangle myself from it (I turned into an Olympic runner that day). However, there are worse thngs than spiders, and if we worried about all of these all the time, no one would live here at all ! Mind you, we are always respectful of our environment, knowing that we share it with the following : -

http://www.australianfauna.com/t10dangerous.php

I gather that most Aussies consider the European wasp more af a hazard than any of the native bugs.

Also we have been told to never drive over a snake - apparently they have been known to rear up and end up in the car or the engine, or something. I don't know the details but I got the message.

I gather that most Aussies consider the European wasp more af a hazard than any of the native bugs.

Also we have been told to never drive over a snake - apparently they have been known to rear up and end up in the car or the engine, or something. I don't know the details but I got the message.

Don't know so much about that story buddysmum, but snakes are protected australian wildlife and you aren't supposed to do anything to them at all...love 'em or leave 'em:arghh:

Don't know so much about that story buddysmum, but snakes are protected australian wildlife and you aren't supposed to do anything to them at all...love 'em or leave 'em:arghh:

Well, I have just been through the whole of this thread, looking for responses to my post (not quite got the hang of this yet) and am absolutely whooping myself about moving to Brisbane now!! What the hell was that toad!! I am glad I read on and found out that it is rare to find one that size!!! I presume from the responses that it is better to live in a built up suburb if you are not at one with natures beasts then. Also, I am stuffed with the cleaning malarchy - I can see me having to purchase a new super strength dyson before we shipout of the UK!!:chatterbox:

Well, I have just been through the whole of this thread, looking for responses to my post (not quite got the hang of this yet) and am absolutely whooping myself about moving to Brisbane now!! What the hell was that toad!! I am glad I read on and found out that it is rare to find one that size!!! I presume from the responses that it is better to live in a built up suburb if you are not at one with natures beasts then. Also, I am stuffed with the cleaning malarchy - I can see me having to purchase a new super strength dyson before we shipout of the UK!!:chatterbox:

Don't tell anyone but i also dislike spiders (scream like a little girl and run, i am 37 6ft2 and 15 stone so a big bloke) however you will be suprised on how few you see the only time i have seen an infestation (1 big one 2 small ones) was when we had our furniture delivered from being in storage and the big one ran right in front of me while half asleep on the floor!!!! it is amazing how such a big spider can run so flippin fast it did get sucked up by the dyson, wife thourght it wasn't going to fit up the tube.

Alright..............being honest now,i dont worry about spiders etc while im awake,BUT ive gotta be honest...................im thinking of getting one of those mozzie net things for the bed( dressed up as all romantic of course!),wouldnt want a bite on the "arl fellah" from one of those FLESH EATING type white tips tbh,call me a quilt if yer want,but i AM considering it!LMAO:tongue:

G'day mate, after living in most states over the past 46 years (2 years in a 10x8 tent, approx. 10 months under the stars on a groundshheet, all in the Kimberlies and Pilbara) I have never ever been bitten by a spider.

Certainly won't call you a quilt...mebbe a big girl's blouse, hey?:wink:

Cheers, Bobj

Guest inlimbo
G'day mate, after living in most states over the past 46 years (2 years in a 10x8 tent, approx. 10 months under the stars on a groundshheet, all in the Kimberlies and Pilbara) I have never ever been bitten by a spider.

Certainly won't call you a quilt...mebbe a big girl's blouse, hey?:wink:

Cheers, Bobj

you really should have got yourself a job mate....:cute:

Guest Magnetic6
Had the best, mate. Was paid to go adventuring...:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob.....you're a legend :notworthy:

Nat x

While talking about the wild life, I can mention that my 4 year old spotted a baby skink in our lounge yesterday--absolutely tiny, maybe 1 inch/2.5 cm long and very cute:

Lizardcardcropped.jpg

To put the size in perspective, that's an old birthday card that it's sitting on and you can see how thick the cardboard is compared to the lizard.

From the look of the tail, we suspect something has already tried to make our little friend lunch but we re-located him under a nice sheltered bush next to the patio and hope he lasts!

Bob

Guest guest30038

we re-located him under a nice sheltered bush next to the patio and hope he lasts!

Bob

They grow big and although they look cute and move fairly slowly, and you may be tempted to handle 'em........they bite when they're bigger............especially the blue ones.

kev

Yeah, we had a blue-tongue living with us last summer and it really helped to keep down all the pests. We know about the strong jaws that our blue-tongued friend has and have warned our 4 y.o. to watch but not touch.

From the size, we're pretty sure this is going to be one of the small, slightly stripy ones we see occasionally on the patio. Either way, we try to leave them alone and just enjoy watching them!

Bob

Yeah, we had a blue-tongue living with us last summer and it really helped to keep down all the pests. We know about the strong jaws that our blue-tongued friend has and have warned our 4 y.o. to watch but not touch.

From the size, we're pretty sure this is going to be one of the small, slightly stripy ones we see occasionally on the patio. Either way, we try to leave them alone and just enjoy watching them!

Bob

The little fella is a skink, pretty much full size although you do get a bigger varieties but not this one.

Blue-Tongues won't bite if you handle them properly. Pick them up with a grasp behind the head. Don't forget to support the body with you other hand. Blueys love snails and slugs and other insects that eat your plants, so don't poison your snails or you will kill the blueys and any birds that come along and eat the snails also.

Apart from the poisonous varieties of snakes there is nothing here that you cannot learn to live with.

Our Bluey became a good friend...and yes we avoided using pesticides because we wanted to keep him healthy. I have no doubt we could have handled him carefully...but he was fun just to watch and got familiar enough with us that he'd wander up quite close.

As for the baby, he really was tiny--based on the adult size we see, this one has a long way to go. I wish I'd thought to put a ruler in the photo for scale! Certainly the adult skinks we get sunning themselves on warm walls are probably 2 or 3 times the length of this one.

Poisonous varieties aside, it doesn't take much "learning to live with" our wild neighbours--we find the lizards and birds fascinating and enjoy having them as neighbours!

Bob

While talking about the wild life, I can mention that my 4 year old spotted a baby skink in our lounge yesterday--absolutely tiny, maybe 1 inch/2.5 cm long and very cute:

Lizardcardcropped.jpg

To put the size in perspective, that's an old birthday card that it's sitting on and you can see how thick the cardboard is compared to the lizard.

From the look of the tail, we suspect something has already tried to make our little friend lunch but we re-located him under a nice sheltered bush next to the patio and hope he lasts!

Bob

G'day mate, that is an Eastern Water Skink; they grow to about 25-30 cm. They are completely harmless and quite beneficial, eating small insects.

Cheers, Bobj.

G'day mate, that is an Eastern Water Skink; they grow to about 25-30 cm. They are completely harmless and quite beneficial, eating small insects.

Cheers, Bobj.

I defer to a more knowledgeable source. Thank you Bobj.

prozac

Archived