NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest Tony4052

Hi

After some advice / help from all you ANMAC black belt ninja's...

I have successfully gained a 176 WA SS PR Visa (Heavy Diesel Mechanic). My wife graduated last year in adult nursing and has been employed (Oncology) for over a year now. All of her education including her nursing Advance diploma was completed in the UK.

Does she need to complete the IELTS or just register with the ANMC?

Many thanks in advance for the help and advice....

Hi

After some advice / help from all you ANMAC black belt ninja's...

I have successfully gained a 176 WA SS PR Visa (Heavy Diesel Mechanic). My wife graduated last year in adult nursing and has been employed (Oncology) for over a year now. All of her education including her nursing Advance diploma was completed in the UK.

Does she need to complete the IELTS or just register with the ANMC?

Many thanks in advance for the help and advice....

The ANMAC is only for skills assessment ( if your wife was the main applicant).

She will need to register with AHPRA before she can practice. This can take up to 6 months!!! Even longer in some cases.

As for the IELTS there is confusion as to whether it is needed for AHPRA Hopefully someone can clarify this for you soon, or your wife could drop them an e-mail to confirm if it is needed.

Guest Tony4052
The ANMAC is only for skills assessment ( if your wife was the main applicant).

She will need to register with AHPRA before she can practice. This can take up to 6 months!!! Even longer in some cases.

As for the IELTS there is confusion as to whether it is needed for AHPRA Hopefully someone can clarify this for you soon, or your wife could drop them an e-mail to confirm if it is needed.

Thanks MM

Can anyone else clarify the process my wife needs to do?

We have had a good read through the info on the ANMAC And AHPRA and what a mine field they are.........

Thanks MM

Can anyone else clarify the process my wife needs to do?

We have had a good read through the info on the ANMAC And AHPRA and what a mine field they are.........

As you are the visa applicant your wife doesn't need to apply for a skills assessment (ANMAC). She can apply directly for registration to practice with AHPRA. If she can provide evidence that she was educated at secondary school and university in English then she wouldn't need to sit the IELTS. Apparently AHPRA can be a bit picky with what they accept as evidence. Some have sent in letters from the school/uni while others have provided a statement which they have written and had certified.

I'm going the route of a letter from my school, so far they haven't come back to me so I'm hoping this is sufficient.

Good luck

Jackie

Well, what a nightmare!! I've been assessed by ANMC, got them to send info to AHPRA which they've got. Ahpra then email me three weeks ago wanting extra docs, so got those and thought that was basically it, now they email me stating that the overseas transcript isnt detailed enough for comparison with Oz degree, I'm diploma trained. They now want a detailed description/overview of each module that is on the transcript. Have spoken to five different people at uni as dont have this information seeing as i finished training three years ago (who the hell keeps it all??). They tell me that the woman who deals with it is on holiday till next weds, I fly the wednesday after. Arghhhh!!!! Anyone else had this issue, and actually got registered with diploma??

Thanks

Guest Tony4052
As you are the visa applicant your wife doesn't need to apply for a skills assessment (ANMAC). She can apply directly for registration to practice with AHPRA. If she can provide evidence that she was educated at secondary school and university in English then she wouldn't need to sit the IELTS. Apparently AHPRA can be a bit picky with what they accept as evidence. Some have sent in letters from the school/uni while others have provided a statement which they have written and had certified.

I'm going the route of a letter from my school, so far they haven't come back to me so I'm hoping this is sufficient.

Good luck

Jackie

Hi Jackie

Thanks for the info above... I hope you don't mind but my wife has PM you with a few more questions...

Well, what a nightmare!! I've been assessed by ANMC, got them to send info to AHPRA which they've got. Ahpra then email me three weeks ago wanting extra docs, so got those and thought that was basically it, now they email me stating that the overseas transcript isnt detailed enough for comparison with Oz degree, I'm diploma trained. They now want a detailed description/overview of each module that is on the transcript. Have spoken to five different people at uni as dont have this information seeing as i finished training three years ago (who the hell keeps it all??). They tell me that the woman who deals with it is on holiday till next weds, I fly the wednesday after. Arghhhh!!!! Anyone else had this issue, and actually got registered with diploma??

Thanks

Hi

I trained 20 years ago!!! (1988-1991 the youngest student ever obviously!) Thought it would be impossibe to get a transcript. My school of nursing doesn't exist anymore! But I contacted the uni that nurses in Swansea would now do their nursing degree at and, they were brilliant! Sent the transcript; all my reports from each placement; my results and tutor comments from all the case studies I did along the way; exam marks during training and my finals pass marks; a cover letter stating that the training was in english; and!! they also dug out evidence of post basic training that I'd lost certificates for long ago! And...., they sent 2 copies of everything - all for £50.

If this doesn't satisfy AHPRA I'll be gobsmacked!

Good luck everyone. Every time I think I'm on top of what I need to do regarding the visa process, I read something on DIAC; AMNAC or APHRA which throws it all up in the air! Anyone else feel the same way?

Ann:smile:

Guest snowangel

yes its certainly a lot of faff i think they like to keep us all on our toes! in some ways it would just be easier to sit the ielts test!!!

Thanks

Hiya,

Just to reassure you, My Uni transcript was also found not to be detailed enough either. I did the BSc(Hons), so makes no difference! They were wanting to get more info on my pharmacology hours and biochemistry hours. My Uni were no use either, but the NMC were able to provide a summary of my learning.

If you give them a call, or e.mail them, think there is a link on their web page.

This seemed to make Aphra happy!!

Hope this helps,

Donna x

Guest milliebooboo

Weve just been granted our visa and after all the hard work, form filling etc I just cannot bring myself to even begin the AHPRA one. I keep looking at it, then putting it back in the drawer. Were going to Perth on 3rd Jan so need to get my arse in gear big time. Just means i cant work for the first few months when we get there....... aw shame ha ha

I managed to get uni to email me some info about the modules I took. Basically they were just what the learning outcomes were, so i've emailed them to Ahpra, who emailed back stating that they've passed it on to the professional advisor.

I had a massive panic last night thinking what if they dont register me?? Has this happened to anyone who is diploma trained?? I qualified in 08, been in the job since qualifying, and even though it has it good and bad days, we were sort of relying on the face that i'd more than likely be able to get work. Now im worried that i wont get registered therefore wont be able to get work as a nurse, therefore would have to do something else. I have had a few other jobs, so i have other things to fall back on, but it would be such a waste of the past 6 years of my life.

We fly on the 17th and i left my employment this sunday past, arghhh!!!

Hi!

Is anyone aware if I'm supposed to send copies of my GCSE certs with the application, it doesn't seem to state and worryingly I have lost them! I have my A-Levels certs from the same school and a letter stating that the school (but not mentioning my name) teach and assess in English. Anyone clued up on this stuff? IELTS would have been so much less hassle!!!

Thanks, Chris

Guest Hannah539

Hi, I am new to this forum. This has probably been asked many times before so apologies!

I would like to move to Perth in the next 1 - 2 years. I have only just qualified with a Higher Education Diploma.

I would like to know whether AHPRA will register UK Diploma qualified nurses and whether there is a minimum work experience requirement, I'm sure I read 12 months somewhere...?.

I would be aiming to go over on a 457 if I can get sponsorship - does anyone know if there is a minimum work experience period that employers would expect before sponsoring?

Thanks

Hannah x

Hi!

Is anyone aware if I'm supposed to send copies of my GCSE certs with the application, it doesn't seem to state and worryingly I have lost them! I have my A-Levels certs from the same school and a letter stating that the school (but not mentioning my name) teach and assess in English. Anyone clued up on this stuff? IELTS would have been so much less hassle!!!

Thanks, Chris

yes, yes and yes. Call AHPRA about IELTS as they change goalposts, but might as well cover all avenues and do it anyway. I needed it for AHPRA, and sent info from my seondary school, gcse's etc.

get it info from horses mouth!! This forum is awesome but anything official go through the right channels.....

Hi, I am new to this forum. This has probably been asked many times before so apologies!

I would like to move to Perth in the next 1 - 2 years. I have only just qualified with a Higher Education Diploma.

I would like to know whether AHPRA will register UK Diploma qualified nurses and whether there is a minimum work experience requirement, I'm sure I read 12 months somewhere...?.

I would be aiming to go over on a 457 if I can get sponsorship - does anyone know if there is a minimum work experience period that employers would expect before sponsoring?

Thanks

Hannah x

Google is your friend!!!

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Internationally-Qualified-Nurses-and-Midwives.aspx

:biggrin:

Guest heffahoppa

I'm sure its been asked alot of times before but i'm a UK registered adult nurse (6 years qualified.

I'm looking to apply to do agency work in australia and was wondering how long the process of registration would take?

How much it all costs

And what is the difference between AHPRA & ANMC??

iTS ALL TOO CONFUSING!

I'm still in the UK but looking to come out soon, to victoria first.

Guest Corky80
Weve just been granted our visa and after all the hard work, form filling etc I just cannot bring myself to even begin the AHPRA one. I keep looking at it, then putting it back in the drawer. Were going to Perth on 3rd Jan so need to get my arse in gear big time. Just means i cant work for the first few months when we get there....... aw shame ha ha

Hi Vicky,

It seems you are about 6 mnths ahead of me- I am waiting for my skills assessment to come back and i am sorting out the paperwork for state sponsorship at the moment- but i am a little confused :eek:. We are applying for the 176 but i was under the impression that the ANMC skills assessment you automativally grant me my registration. is this not the case???? We are aiming for Perth for August 2012, do i need to be aplying to APHRA now to get registered or do i have to wait until after the visa has been granted????

my head is rattled with all this paperwork:chatterbox:

thanks,

Orla:wink:

Just wondering about a couple of things - I want to apply for my registration before I get to Aust so I can arrange a job asap if necessary so am hoping someone on here has the answers to the following:

- the address of practice or home address - how do I fill this in if I don't know where I'll be living or don't have a job - could I use an Aust friend/relatives address and then update when I arrive or can I use my UK address?

- I need a statement of some sort from the NMC - does anyone know how I go about this and what I'm after?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Tracey

Guest cdchaplin

you simply have to contact nmc and ask for verification, they send you a form to sign and you return with £34 and they send verification to aphra for you! I have used my uk address for now and will change them when arrive in oz cos i think you have to verify it at main office when you arrive anyway. hope this helps

Guest carrierbag

Hiya just wondering if anyone could help please. I've started sending my documents to the ANMC for the skills assessment for the independent skilled visa. If I get a sponsor visa do I still have to complete the skills assessment before I can apply for sponsor visa and registration? I'm really confused because when I spoke to the agency they didn't seem to know anything about the skills assessment! I don't want to mess up the chance of a job because I haven't done this. Thanks x

Guest tandcmum
Hiya just wondering if anyone could help please. I've started sending my documents to the ANMC for the skills assessment for the independent skilled visa. If I get a sponsor visa do I still have to complete the skills assessment before I can apply for sponsor visa and registration? I'm really confused because when I spoke to the agency they didn't seem to know anything about the skills assessment! I don't want to mess up the chance of a job because I haven't done this. Thanks x

If you are going through an agency who will be sponsoring you for a visa, then you don't ned a skills asessment, you just need to apply to AHPRA and then once you have your in principle letter you can apply for your visa

The only visas that need a skills assessment are the 175/176 independednt skilled visas

Does that mean that you don't need a skills assessment for the 457 or employer sponsored visas. I have wasted money then, as applied to ANMAC in June, sill waiting as the NMC verification has been sent twice now and they still haven't received it. How long are documents supposed to take to arrive from NMC? Tracey

Guest tandcmum
Does that mean that you don't need a skills assessment for the 457 or employer sponsored visas. I have wasted money then, as applied to ANMAC in June, sill waiting as the NMC verification has been sent twice now and they still haven't received it. How long are documents supposed to take to arrive from NMC? Tracey

Thats right for the 457 and for the ENS/RSMS visas you only need to apply to AHPRA, no need for skills assessment or IELTS (if you were educated in English)

Guest carrierbag

Thanks Tandcmum been really confused by it. So can I apply to the AHPRA before it's confirmed I'm getting sponsored? I've got an interview next month for an agency and thought I could start getting documents sent over to Oz again. Have you gone down the employer sponsor route? X