NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest Tiddlypush

Hi all

trying to sort out stuff for state sponsorship for midwifery, asks for cv - does this include schooling, and study days (sort of stuff required for supervision) or is it just work history with a brief synopsis of role

thanks

Karen

Hi

We are going making the move in October this year on a 457 visa with myself being an A&E nurse and my family, when we arrive if it is for us as they say, is the transition to a permanent visa a complete new visa or a bridging one as you are there working?

Wondering if i would need to take more paperwork with us??:confused:

Hi, I'm a full time mum - left nursing about 6yrs ago and so my registration has definitely lasped lol! Would love to return to nursing ( theatre is my background) and my youngest will be 5 this year. However we are hoping to move to OZ and have toyed with the idea of going back to theatres in OZ. In the U.K I know I would have to do a back into nursing/refresher course. I have briefly googled on this subject in Oz but couldn't really find out if they do such courses and if so where, how much, how long etc etc. I'm just curious as, if we are lucky enough to get to Oz ,and when my youngest does finally start school, I know I'll be a bored housewife while there's no kids running around, and once I've finished the unpacking ! Thanks

p.s obviously I'd have to check (if we get the visa) if I'd be allowed to do this on my OH's visa.

Guest WARDStoOZ
Does anyone know if already on a 457, would you have to do a skills test for a permanent visa????

Hi, yes you do if you have been working for the sponsoring employer for fewer than two complete years. Otherwise, there is no need.

Dan xx :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smogmonster

Yup, Diploma is recognised in Oz, so no need to top up to Degree. Just got my registration through from Tasmania, took them a grand total of 10 days from receipt of documents to sort out!!

Guest Dave 'n' Sam

Hi Joanne and everyone else on this thread. My wife is a registered nurse (qualified 1993) and we are planning on moving out to Perth early 2010. Because of maternity leave she has just fallen short of the recent work experience criteria so we are planning on coming over on a 457. Been to a few expo's and got some great contacts that are helping us. Anyway, Sam is now applying for registration to the WA Nursing board, but as she was previously registered in 2000-2001 with WA when she came over on a previous 457 (before meeting me and children etc) will this make the process any easier??

Regards

Dave 'n' Sam

How did people get their jobs-was it sending a cv there self or through an agency ? I have an agency in uk sending off my cv but hearing nothing back??? She says there are no jobs!!! Anyone shed any light on this matter. We are wanting to head for Nambour/Redcliffe area.

Guest Dave 'n' Sam
I don't know for certain but I doubt it and she allowed her registration to lapse and it's been 8 years she'll probably be treated as a new registration (although she may be allocated the same number)

Thanks Ali, we always knew she would have to re-apply just hoping that we didn't have to send all her original registration forms etc that ultimately they received back in 2000 when Sam first applied.

Have you checked out the website regarding re-registration? Or send them an email. I'm guessing they may need to see some documentation again like a birth certificate and for the NMC to verify registration in the UK - otherwise they won't know it's actually Sam.

Ali

Guest Dave 'n' Sam
Have you checked out the website regarding re-registration? Or send them an email. I'm guessing they may need to see some documentation again like a birth certificate and for the NMC to verify registration in the UK - otherwise they won't know it's actually Sam.

Ali

Thanks Ali, we will send them an email to see where we go from now then. Sam has managed to dig out her old WA documents with her original WA registration number so hopefully they will have some record of her...

Thanks again

Guest itchyfeet08

Did you know, there’ going to be a new single National Registration and Accreditation Scheme - for all of the nine health professions: medical practitioners; nurses and midwives; pharmacists; physiotherapists; psychologists; osteopaths; chiropractors; optometrists; and dentists (including dental hygienists, dental prosthetists and dental therapists. To be establish (by July 2010). A national scheme will permit registered nurses and other health professionals to practice across state and territory borders in Australia without having to re-register. That should make things a lot easier.

I don't know how close they are to achieving that - my registration is due for renewal in 2010, so hoping I don't end up with 2 sets of fees next year. It makes sense to have a single registration point, and the UK already has this in place ... so easy to copy, howere, each state will have it's own nurses act, so the sticking point may be collating all those acts together.

Did you know, there’ going to be a new single National Registration and Accreditation Scheme - for all of the nine healthprofessions: medical practitioners; nurses and midwives; pharmacists; physiotherapists; psychologists; osteopaths; chiropractors; optometrists; and dentists (including dental hygienists, dental prosthetists and dental therapists. To be establish (by July 2010). A national scheme will permit registered nurses and other health professionals to practice across state and territory borders in Australia without having to re-register. That should make things a lot easier.

Also I e mailed ANMC a few weeks ago and they said that they are bringing the IELTS as a requirement to applying. They hope to have it in place by july 2010.

JOHN

Great news about national registration now we just have to get the schools, and other professions to fall in line. One thing I think is so silly with our population size is that State by State is so different. Certainly makes it hard for people to move around.

Guest itchyfeet08

The ANMC are producing new standards for the assessment of Internationally Qualified Nurses and Midwives.They has requested that all the Nursing and Midwifery Boards bring in an English Proficency Test by June 2009 for nurses educated overseas, this is to coincide with the new standards and be in line with the New National Registration and Accreditation Scheme for 2010. NSW have already implemented this, Victoria are about to follow any day, others expected in due courses. They are also raising the score to 7 accross all bands, cheers.

Guest crabbejo

Hi, can anyone help me please? I am just about to apply for registration with the NMBWA however I am a newly qualified nurse and am entering Australia to start a graduate programme. On the NA4 for it asks for details of most recent employment and I do not have an employer as yet. Can anyone advise how I should complete this part of the form.

Many thanks in adevance

Nicola

Guest itchyfeet08

Hi Nicola

I think the Nursing Board will be use to this for newly qualified nurses, you could always e-mail or make an international call and ask them to check what you should include here. You can buy a little discount cards in the UK from a news agent to make cheap call to Australia, I would agree with Ali, put your university down, did you have a clinical facilitator that could act as a reference/contact person? Have you worked as a health care assistant or similar or any kind of previous work exeprience? I would also include these types of previous employers too. Hope this helps.

You ors someone might be able to help me, I've got a bit rusty and can't remember all the UK nursing networks/websites/organisations. The obvious ones I can think of are Nursing Times, RCN and Nursing Standard, but I'm sure there have been lots of others that have popped up since I have been away.

I was wondering if anyone could let me know, as I feel I have lost touch. :biggrin:

Cheers Em

Guest MeInOz

Hi,

I'm a nurse from Canada starting to register with Queensland Nursing Council. I was wondering if anyone knows how long the process takes, being I am applying overseas (I don't think I need to take the English test, and I'm pretty sure I have all the paperwork on the ready). Thanks a lot!

Me

Guest itchyfeet08

Hi Men in Oz

I think most Nursing Board recommend you allow at up to 6-8 weeks for this, although I would check on their website to see if they give a time frame, plus you'll probably need to acknowledge they received your paper work. I believe in some cases registration has happened sooner. I remember it talking a little while for mine, but that was a few years ago now and in NSW. The good news is you are outside the tourist season, so they won't be rushed of their feet. Good Luck.

Others may have a different experience, cheers Emma