NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi Hayley,

Yep, we are all being driven crazy on here but at least we're all in it together.

We've got PR as well & the house is up for sale. The college I did my nursing degree at no longer exists & my transcript only states pharmacology so the NMC sent some general EU directive. I've no idea if this will be enough evidence to cover criteria 8 & will just have to wait for the outcome. Personally I'm determined to go no matter what even if it means a career rethink.

hi, can I just ask about what the NMC did for you, what info was it and was it easy enough to get them to send it for you?

Thanks

Hayley

I've seen there is a lot of concern that people are worried that under the new guidelines set out by AHPRA there seems to be a lot of uncertainty over the acceptance of British trained Diploma Nurses RMN's, RGN's. I too applied back at the end of March and yet to hear anything positive from them. But saying that I have neither had anything negative. So despite the lack of reassurance that my application will be accepted I think the only way to proceed is remain positive. There's too much negativity around and until someone posts on here evidence of rejection from AHPRA for British diploma nurses then don't get caught up in the captivity of negativity!!

I found something on there framework for assessing that could be quite useful for people to see if they haven't already done so and it clearly appears that our university qualifications for our diplomas is equivalent to their Bachelors degree or Level 7 if you like.

AQF specification for the Bachelor Degree

Bachelor Degree qualification type descriptor

Purpose The Bachelor Degree qualifies individuals who apply a broad and coherent body of knowledge in a range of contexts to undertake professional work and as a pathway for further learning

Knowledge Graduates of a Bachelor Degree will have a broad and coherent body of knowledge, with depth in the underlying principles and concepts in one or more disciplines as a basis for independent lifelong learning

Skills Graduates of a Bachelor Degree will have:

• cognitive skills to review critically, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge

• cognitive and technical skills to demonstrate a broad understanding of knowledge with depth in some

areas

• cognitive and creative skills to exercise critical thinking and judgement in identifying and solving problems

with intellectual independence

• communication skills to present a clear, coherent and independent exposition of knowledge and ideas

Application of knowledge and skills

Graduates of a Bachelor Degree will demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills:

• with initiative and judgement in planning, problem solving and decision making in professional practice

and/or scholarship

• to adapt knowledge and skills in diverse contexts

• with responsibility and accountability for own learning and professional practice and in collaboration with

others within broad parameters

Volume of The volume of learning of a Bachelor Degree is typically 3 – 4 years learning

what will be will be!!!

this is direct from AHPRA

@AHPRA: @lookmine DipHE is AQF level 6. IQNM Criterion 4 requires AQF7. Post reg nursing quals also considered. AQF info: http://t.co/yQlWg5UWUl

please excuse re posting from other sites but i thought it would be relevant to what is being discussed, it would appear that dip he is not an open and shut case but depends on where and when you took it with some attracting 300 cat points and some attracting 240 cat points (an ordinary degree currently sits also at 300 cat points) more info on here........ http://allnurses.com/international-nursing/terminology-nurse-prescriber-581115.html

could be hope for some us of us yet?

Guest lisaoh

Hi o'connors I have a diploma in child nursing.. I have topped it up to a degree but it's combined studies(long story) however all the modules were nursing. Whether that had something to do with a quick response. they however registered me as a registered nurse diploma level

Guest lisaoh

Hi Hayley NMC have to send a notification of practice it costs £34 (was in February) and they send it directly to APHRA... I sorted it all from Australia they were a little slow and had to call them to prompt them.. you can do all this over the phone. hope that helps

Hi Lisa, thanks I have already done this it was the pharmacology part of the new criteria for AHPRA that I need, I'm struggling to get the info from uni as it was 14 years ago and they say what they are asking for wasn't covered then! I'm panic stricken as due to fly out in September. Someone on the thread said they got NMC to send something over but not sure what. I must be sending off 20 emails a day but don't seem to get anywhere.

thanks

hayley x

Guest lisaoh

Hi Hayley sorry not sure what they want then I also qualified a while ago (. 1995) have you spoke to NMC they were always pretty helpful when I called. Hope you get it sorted sorry can't be more help good luck Lisa

Hayley I am sure it would have been covered. I did my training 15 yrs ago. Might be worth speaking to an old tutor that is still around. My tutor asked me to dig out my portfolio and tell them what was in it regarding medicines management. They then got hold of the archived lecture material and drafted a document all about medicine mgm, pharmacology etc. I think they put something in about the OSCEs too on drug calculations. - did you do those? Ahpra haven't asked me for anymore info on criteria 8 so I'm assuming they are happy with that bit at least!!

Hayley I am sure it would have been covered. I did my training 15 yrs ago. Might be worth speaking to an old tutor that is still around. My tutor asked me to dig out my portfolio and tell them what was in it regarding medicines management. They then got hold of the archived lecture material and drafted a document all about medicine mgm, pharmacology etc. I think they put something in about the OSCEs too on drug calculations. - did you do those? Ahpra haven't asked me for anymore info on criteria 8 so I'm assuming they are happy with that bit at least!!

No the osces came in the year after at chester, iv had quite few emails back today from them they are looking into it for me so fingers and toes crossed they can help, i even got work to send all my mandatory medicines management and iv study days over but not enough. Il get there as hopefully everyone will soon. Good luck to all x

Try and stay positive Hayley, I hope the worst that can happen is they send us on a bridging course! And although it's not cheap, if it has to be done, so be it! We're in Wirral, not far from you! And moving to Perth in November.

All the best.

Edited by geordiegirl68
grammar

Haha yes it certainly is squeaky bum time nedkelly! I have been watching this thread with interest. I also have been tweeting ahpra. I am yet to register with them yet, but I have just sent off my Anmac this week, and I am about to sit my 2nd ielts next weekend for the extra points for the visa. I'm really worried looking at all these threads, as I am diploma trained.

The next step is the big 189 visa but I am cautious if I can't work...

I spoke to a migration agent last week to try and see if he knew anymore. He seems to think it won't be a problem, he thinks this new model is for other 'foreign' nurses (his words) that have been coming in on rubbish diploma's. He seems to think UK diplomas are regarded well in oz.

Only time will tell....just wanted to say hi. My sympathies go out to the ones that have already forked out thousands already with this process, and are going through this stress.

Well AHPRA have just tweeted me back...I asked that if anmac can assess me as competent, and diac can give me a visa...why can't ahpra register me, so how can i work?

This is is there response....ANMAC and AHPRA are two separate entities. aNMAC assesses suitability of international applicants for skilled migration. NMBA & AHPRA assess suitability requirements for reg as RN/EN/midwife as per national law. (They then referred me to link to their page on international qualified nurses and midwives) Their suggestions...

1) you can apply with AQF6 qualification; your reg may be refused with referral to complete bridging program within 12 mths or

2) upgrade your DipHE to bachelor degree nursing qualification (AQF7) in uk or aus.

well I have just looked at topping up my degree as I would have liked to anyway....it's going to cost me £6k and take me 2 yrs, to which I will be past 40 and lose my points on my visa!!

arghh!!! I need to find out more about doing it that side I think!!

Hi All,

Just to chip in with my info... 2 months after asking for my diploma stuff to meet the new criteria, they have JUST asked for the same for my post-registration degree. I'm so frustrated! I asked them at the time if they needed anything else and they said no. I am in AUS waiting, this has been going on since last September.

I spoke to someone from the nursing agency who'll hopefully employ me one day and she advised me (although this is only hearsay, so please don't take it as gospel) that the dipoma isn't enough since the new criteria, which was why they are no asking for extra evidence for the degree. She also informed me that there are absolutely LOADS of nurses on her books in exactly the same boat, some have been waiting since last JULY!

Her advice, keep jumping through the hoops, keep formally complaining, and don't give up!

I wish it could be better news... what an absolute joke.:arghh:

Well it sounds like they have finally responded with a direct answer Nursebucko which is a start I suppose. Wonder when they are going to directly inform the applicants who have been waiting months!?! Zog I have been asked for all the criteria on my degree also which is impossible because the research modules which top up the degree do not cover all the criteria 1-8 as that is already covered in diploma training. Again my Uni have been really helpful and written to ahpra to explain this however I'm sure they can't possibly do anything more to help. So....it goes on. Will anybody get registered??? :confused:

Try and stay positive Hayley, I hope the worst that can happen is they send us on a bridging course! And although it's not cheap, if it has to be done, so be it! We're in Wirral, not far from you! And moving to Perth in November.

All the best.

Thanks, I know iv lookied into the bridging course, it just make you laugh when you have been qualified for so long doesn't it! We are off to Perth too think we finally decided on north of Perth as been in contact with Joondaloop health campus, but been looking at Fiona Stanley but it stated their is a job freeze until June 30th. What about you?

I've seen there is a lot of concern that people are worried that under the new guidelines set out by AHPRA there seems to be a lot of uncertainty over the acceptance of British trained Diploma Nurses RMN's, RGN's. I too applied back at the end of March and yet to hear anything positive from them. But saying that I have neither had anything negative. So despite the lack of reassurance that my application will be accepted I think the only way to proceed is remain positive. There's too much negativity around and until someone posts on here evidence of rejection from AHPRA for British diploma nurses then don't get caught up in the captivity of negativity!!

I found something on there framework for assessing that could be quite useful for people to see if they haven't already done so and it clearly appears that our university qualifications for our diplomas is equivalent to their Bachelors degree or Level 7 if you like.

AQF specification for the Bachelor Degree

Bachelor Degree qualification type descriptor

Purpose The Bachelor Degree qualifies individuals who apply a broad and coherent body of knowledge in a range of contexts to undertake professional work and as a pathway for further learning

Knowledge Graduates of a Bachelor Degree will have a broad and coherent body of knowledge, with depth in the underlying principles and concepts in one or more disciplines as a basis for independent lifelong learning

Skills Graduates of a Bachelor Degree will have:

• cognitive skills to review critically, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge

• cognitive and technical skills to demonstrate a broad understanding of knowledge with depth in some

areas

• cognitive and creative skills to exercise critical thinking and judgement in identifying and solving problems

with intellectual independence

• communication skills to present a clear, coherent and independent exposition of knowledge and ideas

Application of knowledge and skills

Graduates of a Bachelor Degree will demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills:

• with initiative and judgement in planning, problem solving and decision making in professional practice

and/or scholarship

• to adapt knowledge and skills in diverse contexts

• with responsibility and accountability for own learning and professional practice and in collaboration with

others within broad parameters

Volume of The volume of learning of a Bachelor Degree is typically 3 – 4 years learning

what will be will be!!!

I agree with you. From this it looks like the english HE diploma fits this category as the diploma guidelines for level 6 says that the course is only 1.5-2 years which is why ANMAC have said ours is equivalent to a Bachelor's degree!

Advice please, I have lodged my 189 visa and just thinking now about applying to AHPRA. I was wondering if I should hang on a bit and see what is happening and let some of the backlog get sorted or do you think I should register now and get myself in the queue? (Also don't want to waste my money if they don't except the diploma) I have a HE diploma in nursing and qualified in 1996 so a bit worried that I am not going to be able to find all the information that is needed for the new criteria! It's crazy that they are more worried about what you learn't 18 years ago rather than what you know now, surely they should be wanting evidence of update, current practice?!?!

This whole process is so flawed and exasperating!!

I can't help but feel that we're on our own with this, why aren't the NMC/education authorities backing us up?!

And I'm hoping it's slightly positive that they obviously don't quite know what's accepted yet at AHPRA, otherwise they'd surely have 'weeded out' all the diploma applicants and sent rejection/bridging course letters? I'm hoping no news is good news and that they'll review the AQF standard that they've set for the diploma.

What about the diploma nurses granted registration prior to the changes? Surely they'll be allowed to renew their reg every year and continue to practice?

We were planning on a working holiday (hoping for 457 sponsorship) to earn some money before we get married, get a mortgage, settle down etc. but this feels to have slammed so many doors shut. We are now thinking of the working holiday visa and me not working as a nurse, but to be honest, I don't know what I'd do if not nursing, it's not just my job, it's who I am.

Just want to say thanks to everyone on here, If it weren't for all the other people on here in the same boat, I'd feel so alone in this mess!!!

Guest NuriootpaSA

That's Aussies for you - Great at bigging themselves up but shite at everything else!

The next test will be when a UK Dip nurse gets refused AHPRA and then asks for a refund of their fees.

Thanks, I know iv lookied into the bridging course, it just make you laugh when you have been qualified for so long doesn't it! We are off to Perth too think we finally decided on north of Perth as been in contact with Joondaloop health campus, but been looking at Fiona Stanley but it stated their is a job freeze until June 30th. What about you?

Hi again Hayley,

We're starting off in Rockingham, but as a district nurse, it'll depend where I can get a post, IF I can get my registration! Otherwise I'll look at a change in career, although what I'll do after 23 years nursing, I really don't know! Let's stay positive.

Best wishes

Tracey

That's Aussies for you - Great at bigging themselves up but shite at everything else!

The next test will be when a UK Dip nurse gets refused AHPRA and then asks for a refund of their fees.

How rude! Perhaps a few pommy nurses with diplomas with attitudes towards Australian nurses with ttelling them their Bachelor of Nursing was less than the UK Dip HE and they were shite at nursing started this all off in the first place like this. Dam colonists.

Makes me ashamed.

I just don't see on what grounds they can refuse a HE diploma as it meets the criteria/requirements of the level 7! It's a 3 year course not a 1.5-2 yr one that say the diploma is in level 6. British education has always been held in higher esteem, in America it is classed as a degree too?!?!