NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi

Have received my acknowledgment from AHPRA in Sydney that the have received my application, 3 weeks ago. They still haven't taken any money.

My question is, how soon after your acknowledgment where you charged? I don't want to be on their case to soon, but I do have a job offer, so time is getting on.

Thanks for your help

Guest LouiseM

I received my acceptance to register this morning YAY!, took less time then expected although I am going on working holiday Visa.

APHRA application sent 6/6/12 to Perth office. I have 12months to present myself to the AHPRA office with identity documents and proof of no criminal convictions. Do I just show my passport?

Im going to Oz on 07/2/13 and will arrive in Perth in March hoping to start work then (once I get a job) . Does anyone know anything about AHPRA renewal of pin? Someone told me it is from May. Does this mean if I register at the Perth office and start work in March I would need to renew it in May and pay again?

Louise xx

Hi there, me and my wife are 2 registered nurses from Portugal starting the process to work in Australia, we have a doubt regarding the transcript of training required by Aphra. I went to my school and the document they had was a doc with 200 pages, is this it, can anyone tell me how a transcript of training looks like?

Thanks guys.

Hi there, me and my wife are 2 registered nurses from Portugal starting the process to work in Australia, we have a doubt regarding the transcript of training required by Aphra. I went to my school and the document they had was a doc with 200 pages, is this it, can anyone tell me how a transcript of training looks like?

Thanks guys.

The transcript should have all your hours both therory and practical and skills learnt, hours in both T&P so I would expect it to be a long document but as the UK ones are sent direct to AHPRA its hard to know what they look like or how many pages are involved. You just need information directly concerning your nurse? training

The transcript should have all your hours both therory and practical and skills learnt, hours in both T&P so I would expect it to be a long document but as the UK ones are sent direct to AHPRA its hard to know what they look like or how many pages are involved. You just need information directly concerning your nurse? training

The document that the school issued has a program description something like this:

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

Dosage calculations, including reading, interpreting and solving calculation

problems encountered in the preparation of medications; and conversion of

measurements within the apothecary, avoirdupois, and metric systems.

TIME ALLOTMENT: Semester: Fall Credit: 1 Semester Hour

Lecture Hours: 0 Laboratory Hours: 2

PURPOSE AND OUTCOMES OF THE COURSE:

The course provides the safe and effective calculation of drug dosages related to

oral, parenteral, and intravenous medication preparation. Learners will:

 Solve problems using a critical thinking approach

 Convert between metric, apothecary, and avoirdupois systems

COURSE OBJECTIVES:

Theory Objectives:

1. Calculate dosages using basic systems of measurement

2. Convert measurements within the same system and from one system to another

3. Interpret drug orders

4. Utilize the information on medication labels to calculate prescribed dosages

5. Calculate adult and pediatric drug dosages based on weight

6. Calculate intravenous solution flow rates for electronic and manual infusion

systems.

7. Perform advanced calculations related to body surface area and advanced

pediatric calculations.

Laboratory Objectives:

1. Performs basic mathematical computations that involve fractions, decimals,

ratios, percents, simple equations and proportions.

2. Measure correctly the calculated dosages, using the proper equipment

3. Calculate oral drug dosages

4. Calculate parenteral drug dosages

5. Reconstitute injectable and noninjectable solutions

6. Assemble equipment and regulate the flow rate for intravenous preparations

PREREQUISITES: None

COREQUISITES: None

COURSE STRUCTURE:

The class will meet on Thursday of each week from 1000 am to

1200 am. There will be 5 unit exams averaged. The final exam will be

administered on May 10, 2012 @ 1100.

EXIT COMPETENCIES:

 Read and write dosage and medication information using accepted terminology and

abbreviations

 Calculate drug dosages for prescribed medications.

 Measure calculated drug dosages using appropriate equipment

 Identify reasonable dosages, taking appropriate actions

REQUIRED TEXTBOOKS AND MATERIALS:

Morris, D. G. (2010). Calculate With Confidence, (5th ed.). St Louis, Missouri:

Elsevier Inc.

Elsevier Student Resources (Access with textbook)

RECOMMENDED MATERIALS AND RESOURCES:

The student is encouraged to utilize the journals and on-line resources available in the

on-campus library. The instructor may suggest additional resources.

Well this is just for one class, in my course i had 54 classes. :( its just a big book to translate and authenticate :(

Please help.

I was sent a copy of mine it's around 5 pages lists all theory subjects grades achieved when in course taken and detailed breakdown of practice hours

hi all

I am in the process of getting my documents together for AHPRA registration. Have looked throught the application form and wanted to confirm if i need to be a member of a union/professional body in order to register? i am currently with RCN and was thinking about not renewing as i am currently on maternity leave and will be going back soon to work for 3 months only before we make the big move. grateful for any responses

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and I just wondered if anyone could help me?

I am in the process of getting all my documents together to submit an application to register with APHRA and I know that a skills assessment are currently taking up to 14 weeks, can you apply for both at the same time or would it be best to register with APHRA and then have skills assessed, I will be applying for a PR visa so I know my skills have to be assessed, just thinking of the length of time for that plus EOI time prior to hopefully being invited to apply for Visa. I just think that whilst I am getting documents signed by solicitors etc for APHRA, may as well kill two birds with skills assessment.

Your comments would be appreciated,

Thanks

jo :)

Guest adlyn2011

Welcome JoJO

I have sent the form away, you need to get you skills assessed in order to get registered. Just make sure you have the correct form.

i got my documents certified by a JP and at my local courts and it didnt cost me anything.

I dont think any of the agencies and health boards take you seriosly until you have your registration from personal experience and reading forums.

Hope this helps a little

Best of luck

Adlyn

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and I just wondered if anyone could help me?

I am in the process of getting all my documents together to submit an application to register with APHRA and I know that a skills assessment are currently taking up to 14 weeks, can you apply for both at the same time or would it be best to register with APHRA and then have skills assessed, I will be applying for a PR visa so I know my skills have to be assessed, just thinking of the length of time for that plus EOI time prior to hopefully being invited to apply for Visa. I just think that whilst I am getting documents signed by solicitors etc for APHRA, may as well kill two birds with skills assessment.

Your comments would be appreciated,

Thanks

jo :)

Hi Jo

you can do it in either order or simultaneously it all depend on your time frame skills assess will pretty much take the time they are quoting and then you need to apply state sponsorship if going that route which could be anywhere between 2 -4 weeks and then of course there is the whole EOI process

registration can go through in 3-4 weeks if applying at a quiet office like Adelaide or Darwin once you have the registration approval you have a limited period of time 12 months I think to arrive in person at the office to activate it otherwises have to ask for extensions etc not sure how easy that is so it all really depends on your time frame of leaving UK.

In terms of agencies and health boards most are happy to talk to you once registration application is in place but they will be looking at you coming over on 457 unless already have other visa in place you can do both though eg still enter on 457 whilst PR visa application going through

mem

Just wanted some thought on whether or not to take this further or let this drop?

AHPRA got my application Oct 2010 and didn't process my application til over 6 months later. I had a sabbatical booked from April 2011 so assumed that be sufficient time to process it (as they stipulated it could take up to 3 months to process). I made 2 phone calls during this time to enquire about my application and explained my situation which was met with curt, bordering on rude answers. I then had to start my sabbatical as someone had been employed to take over my position for the year (I couldn't work in the UK under the terms so I was effectively unemployed). They asked for more information over the next few months when they could have asked for it in one go then in July 2011 my key worker asked for proof of aged care experience (in training) and proof of the link with my former married name. I returned the email the next day to inform her that it stated 'geriatric care' on my transcript and they already had my marriage certificate. I got an out of office reply to say that she was on holiday for 2 months. 2 weeks after she returned I got the approval to register. (so I could have been approved in July). I clarified before I left for Sydney and when I got to here, what exactly I needed to pick up my licence (which was lodged in Melbourne) and went through their letter with them. I travelled the hour into Sydney and AHPRA told me everything was ok and that I would have an email in the next 3 days with approval (from Melbourne). I was somewhat annoyed because I'd organised the CRB checks they requested on their letter and was told that they weren't needed as they did their own) Of course there was no email and when I phoned I was told to go back to the Sydney office with proof of a job offer, which was never once mentioned on the letter or in 'phone conversation.

It's not AHPRA's fault that I organised my sabbatical but with a bit of information I would have delayed it and saved myself alot of money. I emailed a complaint (adding that I wouldn't treat my patients like this) to the ombudsman and he informed me I would receive a reply within 30 days - which was up about 5 weeks ago. I sent another email to enquire about a response, 3 weeks ago and still nothing. Should I go to the Health Minister next?

Sorry for the rant! Thanks Cath x

Hi

I am currently going through the registration process. I have been advised I need a letter from my school and transcript from my university and I can get this countersigned by a relevant body. However, how long does this process take? I am looking to apply for jobs and a 457 VISA, but surely being registered would beneficial for my CV and application.

I have all the documents including my NMC registration. Do I need anything from my university stating hours I worked when studying? Is there a fee this part they continue to not reply when I ask but merely tell me I can apply and will be able to work a a nurse in Perth without the IELTS. I still dont know or can find how much the fee is unless I am being blind.

Sorry i need help...

Hi Michelle

For AHPRA registration on a 457 you do not need ielts, just proof that you were taught and assessed in English. Ie a letter from your senior school with the dates you attended. You also need to contact the University that you did your training with and get them to supply a copy of your transcript directly to AHPRA (costs for this vary) and obviously you have to pay AHPRA for the assessment and registration, which is currently just over $530 roughly £360. I am currently awaiting my registration having submitted all my docs after they emailed me for further information. Oh and you will need a certificate of good standing from the nmc £34. Hope that helps x

Just been offered a place on the Graduate Nurse Programe in WA which starts in August 2013. AHPRA now say that as I will only have a Diploma in March 2013 when I qualify I need 12 months post grad experience. Does anyone know if they make an exception to nurses who have a place on the grad programe as I can't seem to get a straight answer from AHPRA!! depending on which state I speak to and I can't see anything on their website that says I need 12 months post grad experience. I have an Australian Permanent Residence 176 visa and am just waiting to go after I qualify....any info or advice from anyone would be great

...thanks

Hi Guys

hoping someone might know the answer so just over 3 weeks ago posted everything off to ahpra after 2 weeks got an e mail acknowledging application and they took money from account a week later received further mail saying application had been received and assessed and please find details of outstanding requirements for my application which was transcript and proof of name change

have sent what they asked for so am wondering does that mean once they receive them application will be finalised or will still have a long wait ?

Also when you present in person with approval letter do you have to already have to have visa u can work on or could present in person whilst on a tourist visa? Am thinking would need work visa

Mem

Just been offered a place on the Graduate Nurse Programe in WA which starts in August 2013. AHPRA now say that as I will only have a Diploma in March 2013 when I qualify I need 12 months post grad experience. Does anyone know if they make an exception to nurses who have a place on the grad programe as I can't seem to get a straight answer from AHPRA!! depending on which state I speak to and I can't see anything on their website that says I need 12 months post grad experience. I have an Australian Permanent Residence 176 visa and am just waiting to go after I qualify....any info or advice from anyone would be great

...thanks

Thats amazing u got onto grad programme! I fin jan 2013 and would love a place on the WA graduate programme. How did u apply? Thanks

Hi

I am currently going through the registration process. I have been advised I need a letter from my school and transcript from my university and I can get this countersigned by a relevant body. However, how long does this process take? I am looking to apply for jobs and a 457 VISA, but surely being registered would beneficial for my CV and application.

I have all the documents including my NMC registration. Do I need anything from my university stating hours I worked when studying? Is there a fee this part they continue to not reply when I ask but merely tell me I can apply and will be able to work a a nurse in Perth without the IELTS. I still dont know or can find how much the fee is unless I am being blind.

Sorry i need help...

Hi Michelle659

I am currently going through the registration process myself (I just sent all my documents off). I was advised by an agency that I needed to send a letter from my high school stating the years I had studied there and that I was taught and assessed in English. I was also advised to send notarised copies of my school certificates (GCSE and A-Level). You need evidence of at least 5 years education taught and assessed in English. The transcript from your university should also state you were taught and assessed in English along will all the moduels you took, marks and hours of training/practice. This has to be sent straight from your university to AHPRA although I have been warned that it should not be sent until after your application as if it arrives before you application it can be lost/thrown out as it does not relate to any of their current aplicants. This is the same for the NMC verification letter too (although it is best to request the form, just don't post it until after the application is sent.) I sent my application today so I will post my NMC verfication request at the end of the week and ask the university to send my transcript on (They have already prepared it for me).

As for how long applications take, I have heard people say anything from 4-6 weeks to 12months. I have been advised to send my application to the smaller offices like Adelaide and Darwin as well as they are supposed to be quicker. I will post up the progress of my application when I have news. I have posted mine to Adelaide so fingers crossed. In terms of jobs, I have spoken to a few companies and most won't consider you until you have got your registration now so I am leaving off the applications and CV sending until I get my eligability.

Good luck with your application

Emma

Hi Michelle

For AHPRA registration on a 457 you do not need ielts, just proof that you were taught and assessed in English. Ie a letter from your senior school with the dates you attended. You also need to contact the University that you did your training with and get them to supply a copy of your transcript directly to AHPRA (costs for this vary) and obviously you have to pay AHPRA for the assessment and registration, which is currently just over $530 roughly £360. I am currently awaiting my registration having submitted all my docs after they emailed me for further information. Oh and you will need a certificate of good standing from the nmc £34. Hope that helps x

Thank you so much for that. My senior school is sending me a letter in the post. I have contacted my university and awaiting for their response. I will contact NMC as well.

I need a letter from my current employer? What should my employer say? I am embarrassed to ask them for a reference and not sure sure what the letter should entail.

Many thanks

Hi Michelle659

I am currently going through the registration process myself (I just sent all my documents off). I was advised by an agency that I needed to send a letter from my high school stating the years I had studied there and that I was taught and assessed in English. I was also advised to send notarised copies of my school certificates (GCSE and A-Level). You need evidence of at least 5 years education taught and assessed in English. The transcript from your university should also state you were taught and assessed in English along will all the moduels you took, marks and hours of training/practice. This has to be sent straight from your university to AHPRA although I have been warned that it should not be sent until after your application as if it arrives before you application it can be lost/thrown out as it does not relate to any of their current aplicants. This is the same for the NMC verification letter too (although it is best to request the form, just don't post it until after the application is sent.) I sent my application today so I will post my NMC verfication request at the end of the week and ask the university to send my transcript on (They have already prepared it for me).

As for how long applications take, I have heard people say anything from 4-6 weeks to 12months. I have been advised to send my application to the smaller offices like Adelaide and Darwin as well as they are supposed to be quicker. I will post up the progress of my application when I have news. I have posted mine to Adelaide so fingers crossed. In terms of jobs, I have spoken to a few companies and most won't consider you until you have got your registration now so I am leaving off the applications and CV sending until I get my eligability.

Good luck with your application

Emma

I have lost my GCSE's in recent moves, I have NVQ's that I will send along with a letter from the school that I am getting certified from a solicitor. I do not want them to throw it away. I have been speaking to the WA office and didnt realise you could send it to any branch. I have also sat an IELTS but didnt get a 7.0 in reading GGGGRR. Not sure whether that would be worth while copying and sending. I might have to contact my school to see where I can get replacement certificates then.

Regarding the employer what should this letter say? I am so worried about asking them.

Thank you so much for your advice, I wouldnt know what to do without you all.