NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

I am trying to get my papers ready for registration to APHRA. I am 40, a Registered Mental Health Nurse and qualified in 1993. I was 18 when I started my training in 1990 the University are having difficulty in finding any record of me or course details. Not sure computers exsisted then!! I have a certificate of my qualifying but that is all I have from this time?? I obtained a 2:1 degree in Health in 2011 and have been working for over 20 years in Mental Health with numerous courses to evidence my continuing professional developement. will this be a problem?? Thanks

If all else fails the NMC may be able to help. They could not have registered you without proof of your course, assessments and qualification. Back they they were send by the local boards as the UKCC was different. Speak to them.

My schools of nursing were closed and they (NMC) sent APHRA the EU directive for my qualifications. This stipulated that any nurse registered must meet the EU directive re hours, content etc.

Good Luck :biggrin:

Edited by GilraenH
clarity

Can any of the nurses who have had sponsorship visas tell me if they needed any of the certified documents for APHRA also certified for DIAC for the visa, or could we scan those in and attach to an online application. I don't want to go through the certification process twice unless I have to.

ie Are the certified documents only needed for APHRA or do we also need a copy for DIAC if we use an online visa application? :biggrin:

Guest Kayleigh88

Hey Ive read this entire thread as im in the process of trying to get everything ready for my AHPRA application. This info from sara8 is brilliant http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/142016-ahpra-eligibility-approved-my-experience-revealed.html But whats a CPD? and once my application is completed it says to send it to 'your capital city' (im in england at present) so do i send it to london or do i send it to Perth where i want to work? (ive heard different views on this)

CPD = Continuing Professional Development = PREP. APHRA has standards posted on their website which state what these standards are. You will have worked with NMC standards for these while registered here. You are just being asked to evidence this in your application. Study days/training/mandatory days/reflective journals etc.

You can send it to any capital city in Australia. It doesn't matter where you are going to, perhaps unless you are out there?

Good luck!! :biggrin:

Edited by GilraenH
left out good ol Taz :)

I think Kayleigh88 means that the address on the app reads AHPRA, PO BOX etc & in brackets it says 'in your capital city'. This just means the capital city of the state you intend to work in i.e Victoria = Melbourne. Glad my thread has help. Sara xxx

I think Kayleigh88 means that the address on the app reads AHPRA, PO BOX etc & in brackets it says 'in your capital city'. This just means the capital city of the state you intend to work in i.e Victoria = Melbourne. Glad my thread has help. Sara xxx

That makes sense Sara! Just wondered if I'd missed something! :embarrassed:

Guest Kayleigh88

Yeah thats what i meant! Oh blimey what an idiot haha! I thought how strange why do i need to send it to London and not australia?! Thank god for you guys, I would have been waiting years for their reply!:chatterbox: THANKYOU!!!!!

Hi

Great thread and has been very helpful. Only question is.......... I requested a statement of service from my HR department (got fed up waiting for my manager to do it) and it came through today. Its basically a 4 line paragraph on NHS letter headed paper saying I am employed as a staff nurse and from what date. I have my original job description. If I were to get my manager to sign both of these documents would that be enough? I used the cpd template on another thread and plan to get my manager to sign that. Everything else I think I have ready. Just need to find a notary.

Cheers

Hi,

I had a nightmare with my H.R department. They took ages and gave me a statement that was so shoddy, my 7 yr old could have done better. After much complaint and them digging their heels in I just asked my manager to put the missing parts in her reference, so I submitted the info that was requested but it was not on the exact letter ANMAC stated they needed it on. I haven't heard back yet, so fingers crossed. Good luck

Hi, ive got my APHRA approval letter through and ive got a deadline of November 30th to present myself to Brisbane Office. Im getting married October 20th in England so were planning on getting there mid november (and basing ourselves in Perth). Were going on a 457 visa. Ive got two questions

1. When is the best time to strart applying for jobs? I figured end of may time but do you think that it too early/would they hold a job that long for me?

2. Also as i will be getting married just before i go out, ill have to change my maritial status and circumstances on my APHRA and probably my visa. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Is it a massive b***ache or is it quite simple. Ive emailed the woman who dealt with me at APHRA but shes curently on holiday.

ANY help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

THanks in advance

Polly x

Guest MrsMoose

Hi ctopham,

I am new to this forum but I have just applied to AHPRA last week, sadly a solicitor can not notarise your documents. Has to be a justice of the peace or a notary public. Google it or look in the yellow pages. The guy that did mine was a solicitor and a notary public. I had 9 docs and he charged me £120 which I believe was very reasonable. Shop around!

Xxx

Guest Hacking family
Hi, ive got my APHRA approval letter through and ive got a deadline of November 30th to present myself to Brisbane Office. Im getting married October 20th in England so were planning on getting there mid november (and basing ourselves in Perth). Were going on a 457 visa. Ive got two questions

1. When is the best time to strart applying for jobs? I figured end of may time but do you think that it too early/would they hold a job that long for me?

2. Also as i will be getting married just before i go out, ill have to change my maritial status and circumstances on my APHRA and probably my visa. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Is it a massive b***ache or is it quite simple. Ive emailed the woman who dealt with me at APHRA but shes curently on holiday.

THanks in advance

Polly x

Sorry can't help you with the marriage bit, but i applied for a job last November, they are sponsoring my visa which I am still waiting for so i think it's probably ok to start applying.

Good luck

Sarah

I met with the JP this morning, she was lovely! An Australian lady who married someone here; whose daughter I nursed with and who has known me/parents most of my life.

We had a yummy coffee and a chat while she certified my documents. How nice was that!!

All posted now to APHRA in Darwin and tracking details at the ready. I'm so excited now. I really hope I have done this right.

The Uni will send their stuff off shortly and NMC has already sent the Transcript and Verification in March :biggrin: I can't stop smiling!!!

Hi

Great thread and has been very helpful. Only question is.......... I requested a statement of service from my HR department (got fed up waiting for my manager to do it) and it came through today. Its basically a 4 line paragraph on NHS letter headed paper saying I am employed as a staff nurse and from what date. I have my original job description. If I were to get my manager to sign both of these documents would that be enough? I used the cpd template on another thread and plan to get my manager to sign that. Everything else I think I have ready. Just need to find a notary.

Cheers

Hi

I too have had major problems with getting my references together, particulary because of the break up of the NHS PCTs and my managers no longer being there. I explained this in an email to my CO when she requested more information. She was happy with this and has told me that they can only advise DIAC, DIAC make the final decision as to whether I have been working as a nurse like I say I have and for the amount of time I say I have. I get the impression they are used to problems with references....after all they ARE asking for the a lot!

THanks in advance

Polly x

Hi

Are you going on a 457 with your occupation or you husband-to-be's? I have applied for over 15 jobs and only a couple of job offers and this was after changing my tactic and applying for different areas of nursing where I knew they were very short staffed. But this process has taken me nearly 4 months and I still haven't started my 457 visa process yet. I believe it takes about 6 weeks to come through from application.

The marriage thing seems a bit of a hassle and I hope it's straight forward for you! Can you not travel on your maiden name passport as you have only just got married? I'm sure you can for so long? If so then I wouldn't worry about your visa or ahpra until you have arrived in Oz and sort it out there! It would be so much easier doing it that way!

Ps You don't have to change your name on your passport straight away and can travel on you maiden name- I've just checked on direct.gov website.

Sorry can't help you with the marriage bit, but i applied for a job last November, they are sponsoring my visa which I am still waiting for so i think it's probably ok to start applying.

Good luck

Sarah

Hi Sarah

What visa are you going on with them?

With regards to the H.R employment statements....what a headache. I have provided a current professional reference plus the last 5 years employment statements to ANMAC, as I said before they were very difficult to get in the first place, anyway ANMAC have come back to me to say that they will not accept my last 5 years statements as they are signed of by a H.R manager and not a nurse manager! Also, that they don't state anything about my competencies or safety as a nurse. I have talked to my agent who says that now they might require 5 years references not just statements. I'm really gonna struggle to pull that off as my managers have moved on, what with all the job cuts. Shame my agent didn't tell me before I submitted these papers which took 4 months to gather. In addition, ANMAC have not received my IELTS result sent in December or my college transcript sent in January and have rejected my NMC verification as it has "expired' which basically means I have recently renewed my PIN number without a lapse. It feels like pushing water up hill. Has anyone else heard that the reference/employment statements requirements have changed?

Guest cdchaplin

hi yes i ahd this with aphra, i had to chase up both my past managers whom had retired and request a proper reference!!! bloody nightmare!!!good luck

collette xx