NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

We have friends going to Perth on a 457 visa, both had to sit ielts and have skills aseessed by anmac, we're going to Adelaide on 176 visa (hopefully) we sat the ielts as we left school a very long time ago and getting info from schools etc seemed too much of a b*ll ache :) also have to go through anmac.

If you do sit the ielts as nurses we have to sit the academic ielts and not the general.

Hope this helps a little,

Sue

Hi, im new to pomsinoz, im hoping to go out to oz in November for a year on a working holidayvisa, with the aim to do flexible nursing. Will i have to do the anmc skills assessment, or can i just do the aphra registration? Thanks

You need a skills test with ANMAC if you are on a PR visa, then APHRA registration. If you are going on 457 or a WHV you need to register with AHPRA only. You do not need IELTS IF you can demonstrate to APHRA you were educated in English ie educated and trained in UK etc.

From DIAC website: Applicants for skilled migration must obtain a skills assessment from the Australia Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) even if currently registered to work as a nurse in an Australian state or territory."

Bold added by me for emphasis. :)

Guest LouiseM
You need a skills test with ANMAC if you are on a PR visa, then APHRA registration. If you are going on 457 or a WHV you need to register with AHPRA only. You do not need IELTS IF you can demonstrate to APHRA you were educated in English ie educated and trained in UK etc.

From DIAC website: Applicants for skilled migration must obtain a skills assessment from the Australia Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) even if currently registered to work as a nurse in an Australian state or territory."

Bold added by me for emphasis. :)

Thanks for the advice, will be great if i dont have to do the ielts x

Guest Hacking family
Hi, anyone able to help me here?!?

I was "delighted" to pay the University £120 for my transcript, but they're saying that they normally send it straight on the the Australian health board, I was under the impression that I'd just submit it with the rest of my documents. Anyone able to shed any light on this?? Many thanks, Chris :)

Hi there, it should go direct from uni, just let them know where you are sending your other documents too.

Hi, anyone able to help me here?!?

I was "delighted" to pay the University £120 for my transcript, but they're saying that they normally send it straight on the the Australian health board, I was under the impression that I'd just submit it with the rest of my documents. Anyone able to shed any light on this?? Many thanks, Chris :)

Yes as already stated this is usual for most Universities. It also means you do not need it certified etc so saves you money, a little anyway. :)

I'm sure you will. Have you done your elective placement yet? I did mine over in OZ was a great experience. Hoping to get a job at the same hospital I went to. Fingers crossed!!! Although we have been talking about moving out there for a while now it was only in Jan we decided we were definitely going to do it & we are hoping to be out by the end of the year but as you know it all depends on Reg, Job & visa. At the moment were on a mission to save save save!!! :biggrin:

I will start my elective in August but unfortunately wouldn't be able to do mine in OZ although that would be a fantastic experience. To get out sooner, we think we will try to go out on James's electrician qualification, and again saving! Good luck with your plans :)

Hi All

This may have already been asked but the thread is so long I can't seem to find an answer. Have potentially been offered a job by an employer who is willing to sponsor, but when I went onto the ANMC website, for the skills assessment they said that a temporary visa had to register with APHRA. Does this mean I don't need a skills assesment for an employer nominated visa??

Help please

Rachel

Hi All

This may have already been asked but the thread is so long I can't seem to find an answer. Have potentially been offered a job by an employer who is willing to sponsor, but when I went onto the ANMC website, for the skills assessment they said that a temporary visa had to register with APHRA. Does this mean I don't need a skills assesment for an employer nominated visa??

Help please

Rachel

Hi Rachel, if you have been sponsored by an emmployer (457/121 visa)then you only need a registration with AHPRA and if you are going on skill based visa (175/176) then you will need an assessment.

Hope that helps.

....Mansawant

Hi, I have not long qualiified as a midwife having had a career change.. I am in employment but only a few months in at present. I understand I need 3 months full time equivalent to apply for my registration but does anyone know if i have to have this before I can apply for a skills assessment also and if so, do I have to wait for the outcome of skills assessment and registration before I can apply for a visa? grateful for any advice.

Thank you

elke what visa were you wanting, there are a few.

skilled migration 175 (176 with state sponsorship) this needs points test/skills test/IELTS and registration though order doesn't seem to matter except for IELTS (extra points for this as currently you need 65 points for 175/176)

Sponsorship visas 457 temporary employer visa (tied to an employer, if you lose your job you need to get a new one or leave OZ in 28 days) just needs registration, no pints test

ENS permanent visa 121/856 needs registration, no points test and may need a skills test/IELTS,

RSMS permanent visa119/??? same as ENS but you have to stay with your employer for ?2 years

There are others but these are the most common for nurses.

A lot depends on your age, qualifications and experience (also whether it is gained inside or outside Australia)

Good luck :)

thanks all for the help. I'm sure there will be many more questions to come. I think I'm struggling as I have not been working clinically post qualification for that long.

Thanks again

Hi

Sorry this is going to sound so lazy but after scrolling up and down this thread and others we are confused slightly over what we need to submit as part of the AHPRA registration. It seems from what we have read here it depends on situation etc. Ours is:

• Looking to go on a 457 VISA to SA
  • Been advised by SA Health that we are to complete the AHPRA registration first then apply for the job, then VISA
  • Been collecting School/College/University certificates
  • Speaking to the above about transcripts (though the school have said we need to speak to the awarding bodies)
  • Speaking to current HR team about evidence of my current role/training
  • Speaking to NMC over registration document
  • Updating CV in-line with AHPRA website

Could anyone advise if the above (along with copies of passport) is enough supporting info. Also what needs to be certified and what doesn't etc. I have also noted that the University transcript (for example) can be sent straight to AHPRA yet my University has just given me the transcript to send myself. We hope to get this right first time to ensure there are little/no delays. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also we have seen some posts saying you need transcripts of your qualifications and others saying you just need the certificates? Also which documents need to be signed/certified?

Thanks

Kathleen and Craig

Hi

Sorry this is going to sound so lazy but after scrolling up and down this thread and others we are confused slightly over what we need to submit as part of the AHPRA registration. It seems from what we have read here it depends on situation etc. Ours is:

• Looking to go on a 457 VISA to SA

• Been advised by SA Health that we are to complete the AHPRA registration first then apply for the job, then VISA

• Been collecting School/College/University certificates

• Speaking to the above about transcripts (though the school have said we need to speak to the awarding bodies)

• Speaking to current HR team about evidence of my current role/training

• Speaking to NMC over registration document

• Updating CV in-line with AHPRA website

Could anyone advise if the above (along with copies of passport) is enough supporting info. Also what needs to be certified and what doesn't etc. I have also noted that the University transcript (for example) can be sent straight to AHPRA yet my University has just given me the transcript to send myself. We hope to get this right first time to ensure there are little/no delays. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also we have seen some posts saying you need transcripts of your qualifications and others saying you just need the certificates? Also which documents need to be signed/certified?

Thanks

Kathleen and Craig

Sara has been really helpful on this thread and posted all the docs she sent, and she received her APHRA in a Month!

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/142016-ahpra-eligibility-approved-my-experience-revealed.html

:)

Hi,

I sent my application to AHPRA september 2011 for registration as a nurse. I recieved an email last week saying i need to send more info to support my application. they want full transcripts from my uni which isn't a problem i have contacted uni and they are sorting it out for me. my worry is about the english requirements! i have my former secondary school to write me a letter stating that i attended there for 5 years and was taught and assessed in english for all lessons, will this be enough? i really don't want to have to sit the ielts test.

they have also asked for the certificate of good standing which NMC sent for me last november so looks like that has been lost!!!

Thanks Rachel

Hi,

I sent my application to AHPRA september 2011 for registration as a nurse. I recieved an email last week saying i need to send more info to support my application. they want full transcripts from my uni which isn't a problem i have contacted uni and they are sorting it out for me. my worry is about the english requirements! i have my former secondary school to write me a letter stating that i attended there for 5 years and was taught and assessed in english for all lessons, will this be enough? i really don't want to have to sit the ielts test.

they have also asked for the certificate of good standing which NMC sent for me last november so looks like that has been lost!!!

Thanks Rachel

I have just submitted all my paperwork and been told its all good so here is what i sent:

ielts test ( unless you have transcript from schools and your school details on your certificates, which doesnt happen in the uk, then you will need a ielts test and trust me i have all my school reports and letters from school saying when i went and what level etc but was advised that that would not be sufficient -yours might be)this must be sent from the test centre to Aphra (£5) ( and I nearly had a nervous breakdown before I sat it!)

transcript from uni for my nurse training - cost £35(hours and subjects etc) you must get this notarised to send copy

passport photo ( notarised)

driving licence front nd back (notarised)

a utility bill ( notarised)

NMC letter of good standing (£34 they said not to complete and send back to NMC to send before the Aphra started the process as NMC send withing a couple of days of request)

bank card front and bank and bank statement (notarised)

letter from manager or HR or Unit manager outlining your last 5 years employment and whether there is any breaks in service and your key roles and responsibilities ( you dont need to notarise if you send the copy with original signature)

Aphra cv template completed

Agos-40 form

copies of diploms and ENB certificate notarised

It has been a stressful few months collecting everything to send up front as I didnt want to submit and then collect everything. my migration guy been fabulous at advising me what I can have and what they will query

hope this is helpful

M

Thanks Robnnic,

Very much appreciated, our plan was to have been out a long time ago but our VISA application went on the Too Hard To Do Pile ! So from an application starting in Jan 07..... We didn't get a yes until June 2010 !! by then Our circumstances had changed, Children growing up leaving school etc, so it's been a long time and now with the economic gloom our house is unlikely to sell anytime soon, A move this year is out of the question due too lack of funds and then our Daughter moves into year 10 in September and gets ready to start her first two GCSE's.... Would love to be out before 2014 but we can't see that happening at present..

What we don't want to do is put our house on the market only to find we fail in getting my wife's AHPRA registration....Because we wouldn't move from here unless it was to Australia....Not even sure if you can be registered for over a year while offshore, will have to do some serious reading...

Thanks again

Pat

She could go over and validate her registration and keep it up to date/renew off shore. It would only cost one flight if that is all she needed to do?

Hi,

Thanks Rachel

That was sufficient for me ie a letter from school stating I was educated and examined in English. I had a degree in nursing, don't know if that makes a difference.

Guest rachie27

You don't need to do ielts a letter from your high school as long as it is on letterheaded paper and states you attended that school and was taught and assessed in english will be suffient well it was for me anyway.

Rebekah I am a diploma nurse and as long as you send 2 professional reference and evidence of your CPD you will be registered like any other degree nurse. I was and I am working as a level 1.3 nurse the hospital take into account how many years you have been qualified. Hope this helps

Thanks for the help, I have sent a letter from my secondary school and my uni have sent the transcripts so hopefully that will be enough.

Just a bit of advice for everyone, if AHPRA tell you the haven't received something get them to check! I was told they hadn't received my verification from NMC but when I rang them saying it had been sent they suddenly found it!!!