transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi Sarah you will get an email from the Visa people, just because they have taken your money does not mean that you will get the visa, they take everyones money, you still have to pay come what may.

I have a friend down in Nowra she doesnt have kids but she will know people that do. With it being such a small place I can;t see there being to many schools there. Beautiful place.

I will speak to my friend down there and see if she will add you on facebook, thats if you want. She is called Claire. let me know if your happy with that.

Hope ur all ok and not streesing to much

Speak soon love to you Andy and kids :biggrin:

Hi Anita

Don't worry not getting to stressed I think Im used to waiting by now! Will just sit patiently and wait to hear from Visa people and hopefully not to long.

That would be great if you could get Claire to add me on facebook will be good to chat to someone in Nowra. Andy spends most of his days looking at properties just not to sure which areas are the best!!

I'll keep you posted on our visas.

Take care xx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Sarah,

You have had a bit of waiting about eh! at least things will start moving for you now (though everything still takes ages!)

We knew that they had recieved our visa application because they were pretty quick in taking the payment from our account. i can't remember if we got a proper acknowledgement from them. Hopefully it won't be long till your visa is approved

When is your enlistment date? (sorry, don't want to presume that it's your Oh that's joining up, but i will ;o)) i've not heard of Nowra so can't help at all there but i'm sure someone be able to help. whereabouts is it?

we go in 14 weeks, can't believe it's within reach now! so feel free to ask away and if there is anything else i can help you with i will (and if not i'm sure someone will be along soon who can)

good luck with the rest of the process

Jen x

Hi Jen

Thanks for the info regards the visas its just another painful waiting game!! I've got a provisional enlistment date of 13 Jan 2013 hopefully if the Visas all go through smoothly and quickly we should be able to achieve that date fingers crossed. Nowra is about two hours south of Sydney on the Shoalhaven coast!!

Wow 14 weeks to go how exciting I bet time is flying by as I imagine there is lots of things to sort out and people to visit!!

It will be me transferring my OH has just done is 22 years in the Navy and is looking forward to taking some time out when we move out! My brother has also transferred so have got family out there already which helps he has been out nearly four years now and a lot of things have changed since he transferred so he is not much help with all my questions!!:biggrin:

Hope all goes well with your move and I'll keep you updated on my Visas.

Thanks sarah x

Well Hubby's electronic version of his COS has arrived, just waiting for hard copy to arrive so we can get it sent back. Still applying for Visas in August as enlistment date isnt untill 22nd Aug 13, so that way meds, police checks etc will all still be in date when we come out.

Guest jeffner1974

Good Morning all,

I'm not sure how many of you read this that have already made the move but this ones for you :o)

Regarding schools. How important was it and did you specifically choose a school with a defence children liason officer, was this maybe a decicing factor or was it not an issue. did you send them to a school without and did they settle ok?

I'm asking this because we have never lived in a navy/married quarters environment before and have always had the support of families/friends ect when oh went away. Obviously while in Australia we won't have that same network and while we won't be in quarters as such i feel we may need to rely on the network a little more.

do you think the DCLO made a difference to how your kids settled at school?

Hope things are going smoothly for everyone. has anyone managed to get on the DHA site yet? we haven't but getting there!

jen

Guest jeffner1974
I was,nt to sure if I should put this on here, but I have spoken to a few people that are coming over to Sydney this year and I really think you should read this. I would hate to live somewhere that was not safe for my family and myself. This is from another gruop on my facebook. Its called defence families. This place is 5 mins from maroubra. I love it there for a day out, I must say.

.We have been living in a DHA townhouse in Matraville (Combles Pde to be exact!) for the past 18 months. In this time, this complex has experienced numerous robberies, break and enters, hit-and-runs, an attempted murder, four drug raids (I'm sure there's more I don't know about!), smashed windows, used needles scattered along lawns, a street brawl and many cars... broken into. This street used to be full of DHA families. After much to'ing and fro'ing with DHA, all families were given permission to leave the street and find a new DHA house at their own expense. We are the last original family to leave the street as we will be moving to another suburb in 3 weeks. Unfortunately, our house was broken into two days ago so we never ended up escaping the street ...before we were directly effected. What shits me is that DHA are CONTINUING to fill the empty townhouses with new Defence couples and families without telling them about the issues in the street. My new neighbours (Navy) moved in two weeks ago and have already had their belongings stolen... TWICE. DHA are now telling them they are allowed to move again, but at their own expense. I cannot stress enough... DO NOT MOVE TO MATRAVILLE IF YOU ARE POSTED TO SYDNEY. DHA's only priority is to fill the townhouses with tennants and collect the rent. They have absolutely no concern for the people moving in. I am SO MAD at the way this whole situation has been handled!!

Thought i'd repost this for the ones looking at the DHA site just now and heading to Sydney.

jen x

Good Morning all,

I'm not sure how many of you read this that have already made the move but this ones for you :o)

Regarding schools. How important was it and did you specifically choose a school with a defence children liason officer, was this maybe a decicing factor or was it not an issue. did you send them to a school without and did they settle ok?

I'm asking this because we have never lived in a navy/married quarters environment before and have always had the support of families/friends ect when oh went away. Obviously while in Australia we won't have that same network and while we won't be in quarters as such i feel we may need to rely on the network a little more.

do you think the DCLO made a difference to how your kids settled at school?

Hope things are going smoothly for everyone. has anyone managed to get on the DHA site yet? we haven't but getting there!

jen

Hi I have been here3 and half years now, and moved with 3 teenage kids so not the best of timing.

All my kids settled in very well at school and made some good friends. There where a few kids there whos dads where in the armed forces, but not many \

Living in Sydney the MQ are really spaced out all over, its not like living in the uk and you all live in the same area.

My kids had no problems with it though.

I dont know where your going Perth or Sydney, it could be a lot different in Perth.

I was shocked at schools here in OZ they are very laid back and nothing like the UK, Give me UK schools anyday.

we also had no help in finding the best schools from anyone from the navy, You just have to ask the local people or if you know people living there already then I would ask them.

But please dont worry about ur kids they will love everything about OZ

Hot off the press, looks like the August laterals are enlisting in Portsmouth (dog sh*t city), and then be driven to Heathrow, presumably because of the Olympics, makes sense I guess.

Hi I have been here3 and half years now, and moved with 3 teenage kids so not the best of timing.

All my kids settled in very well at school and made some good friends. There where a few kids there whos dads where in the armed forces, but not many \

Living in Sydney the MQ are really spaced out all over, its not like living in the uk and you all live in the same area.

My kids had no problems with it though.

I dont know where your going Perth or Sydney, it could be a lot different in Perth.

I was shocked at schools here in OZ they are very laid back and nothing like the UK, Give me UK schools anyday.

we also had no help in finding the best schools from anyone from the navy, You just have to ask the local people or if you know people living there already then I would ask them.

But please dont worry about ur kids they will love everything about OZ

Guest jeffner1974

Morning,

Did they email you vulturekillerone?? me and oh are like passing ships in the night on a saturday, don't even know if he's checked email yet. Not too chuffed with that, would rather my last memory of old blighty wasn't portsmouth, but hey ho! i was looking forward to some shopping/sight seeing while hubby was off doing the important stuff ;o) . I thought all the olympics were over by then and it wasn't going to be a problem, or are the paralympics still on then? where are you traveling from?

jen

Guest jeffner1974

Finally got on to the DHA website and......................... Nothing!!!!! no houses available at this moment, try again daily!

just once it would be nice to not have to wait for info :arghh:

Guest gavnicjacflo
Finally got on to the DHA website and......................... Nothing!!!!! no houses available at this moment, try again daily!

Don't worry Jen they do come up just check everyday if you need any pics just give us a shout

nic and gav

Same here, no houses available in my rent band, when I widened the search for places below my rent band two very small townhouses appeared which are too small for my possessions.

Ive been checking daily for around two weeks, no change.

Guest Tony Heppenstall

Hi all, well its only 12 weeks till we leave for Sydney!!!!

Has anyone got any tips on what to pack in our air mail?

We've been on the DHA website looking at house's in sydney but only 3 available in the west which are not great. Fingers crossed some better houses come on soon.

Guest gavnicjacflo
VISA GRANTED!!!!!!!!!

At last, its taken 7 months and has been a very stressful with minimal communication from the visa office.

However we are finally there, time to book some flights...................................................

Congratulations mate!!!

Hi, I'm at the early stages of transferring. I am a Submariner, a Radio Engineer (REA). I have sent my docs and last three write-ups back to Wendy Hughes. She is the overseas transfer coordinator for ratings. I'm just waiting to hear back with a YES or NO answer. It's my understanding that the next step after that is a 'job offer'. After that is immigration and medicals for all (not just yourself). The whole process can take up-to two years. My experience is that things move very slowly and sometimes you need to remind them of your existence! lol I know this isn't Wendy's only role and that she is extremely busy with her primary, as well as, secondary roles and try not to hassle her too much. Hope this helps

Guest gavnicjacflo
Hi, I'm at the early stages of transferring. I am a Submariner, a Radio Engineer (REA). I have sent my docs and last three write-ups back to Wendy Hughes. She is the overseas transfer coordinator for ratings. I'm just waiting to hear back with a YES or NO answer. It's my understanding that the next step after that is a 'job offer'. After that is immigration and medicals for all (not just yourself). The whole process can take up-to two years. My experience is that things move very slowly and sometimes you need to remind them of your existence! lol I know this isn't Wendy's only role and that she is extremely busy with her primary, as well as, secondary roles and try not to hassle her too much. Hope this helps

the process is as follows

1. Expression of interest

2. Send CV and application form

3. RAN request medicals ( RAN entry and Submarine Medical)

4. RAN offer you Terms/Conditions of service

5. RAN then send off for your Labour agreement

6. Once you have your LA you apply for your Visa

7. Visa Medicals

8. Then finally you get your Visa

Some times you may get an interview but not always.

I was also an REA but over here your an RE but your job on onboard is more aligned to a POTS.

Whoop Whoop, Hard copy of COS has arrived, movie night scheduled for us hehe.

Question for those of you already in Perth with small children. Did you take your UK car seats? Been looking into this and gather we will need to buy Aussie ones once we get there. Any help greatfully recieved :)

Ok, so now had the labour agreement approval come through and been told to get cracking with the Visa application. No problem, downloaded Form 47Es as instructed- just can't see anywhere the costs. So for me, my wife and two children (9 &6), does anyone know how much the Visa will cost?!?!?!?!?

Guest jeffner1974

Morning,

congratulations on your LA

if you google visa wizard, fill in "find visa" , subclass 121, then the cost are on there if you scroll down 2095AUD$ (according to the conversion site i used it's about £1300) + police checks (about £35 each adult) + medicals 2 adults+2kids (about £770) we done ours last year so prices may have changed

hope that helps.

happy form filling

jen

QUOTE=AndyandLoz;1935829049]Ok, so now had the labour agreement approval come through and been told to get cracking with the Visa application. No problem, downloaded Form 47Es as instructed- just can't see anywhere the costs. So for me, my wife and two children (9 &6), does anyone know how much the Visa will cost?!?!?!?!?

Ok, so now had the labour agreement approval come through and been told to get cracking with the Visa application. No problem, downloaded Form 47Es as instructed- just can't see anywhere the costs. So for me, my wife and two children (9 &6), does anyone know how much the Visa will cost?!?!?!?!?

Hi AndyandLoz as jeffner1974 said its $2095 if u go on the diac web site and type in the search box at the top right hand corner 990i

click on the first thing that comes up an scroll down to page 5, The cost is there , also how long did it take for your LA to come through from when Wendy received your COS back, when are u due to enlist we are supposed to be join on the 10 jan 13.

cheers Ruby

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the response, I posted last night tearing my hair out having what looked like an age- go to work this morning and get back tonight to find out that my wife had already found out the info and then logged in here to see your two kind responses, thanks again!

Ruby, our cos came through just under two months ago- my enlistment date only says July 2013, when in July I have no idea!!

Thanks again!

Hi,

My partner is currently a submariner (ME) in the RN, and will be going on his PO's course next year, we are thinking about transffering to RNA after he has conmpleted his course which is roughly about 18 months. Does anyone know roughly from start to finish how long it would take to move accross to RNA? Also me and my partner are not married will this make a difference?

Any info and advice would be great?

Thanks

Shelley

Hey there,

We are off to Perth (visas permitting!) and have an enlistment date 22 nd Aug 2013, where are you off to?

Neenie

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the response, I posted last night tearing my hair out having what looked like an age- go to work this morning and get back tonight to find out that my wife had already found out the info and then logged in here to see your two kind responses, thanks again!

Ruby, our cos came through just under two months ago- my enlistment date only says July 2013, when in July I have no idea!!

Thanks again!

Hi ShellyT,

Welcome:)

The whole process take 18-24 months. I am sorry I cant answer the other part of your question, someone else may have the answer though.

Neenie

Hi,

My partner is currently a submariner (ME) in the RN, and will be going on his PO's course next year, we are thinking about transffering to RNA after he has conmpleted his course which is roughly about 18 months. Does anyone know roughly from start to finish how long it would take to move accross to RNA? Also me and my partner are not married will this make a difference?

Any info and advice would be great?

Thanks

Shelley

Archived